No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    No, Whishaw's casting wasn't announced at Skyfall's press conference. It wasn't announced until July 2012.

http://www.007.com/007-gets-his-quartermaster/
    Just watched a clip of the conference. Sam Mendes announced him as part of the cast, but he wasn't announced to play Q until later in the production.
  • Right. July, after Whishaw had completed his work on the film.
  • November 2011 press release. Whishaw in the cast. His part his not mentioned.

http://www.sonypictures.com/corp/press_releases/2011/11_11/110311_bond.html
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 2,115
    So, five months later, Broccoli and Craig are denying Whishaw is playing Q. Craig adds the bit about how "Agents are liars." That's a reference to Whishaw's agent who said his client was playing Q. Another three months after that, Whishaw's part is announced. Whishaw's agent is proven to be correct. Craig, not so much.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I really hope for Bond 25 EoN cut back on their subterfuge antics and focus their efforts on recovering their wits and producing a great screenplay/film. Audiences deserve better and EoN are capable of doing better.
  • doubleoego wrote: »
    I really hope for Bond 25 EoN cut back on their subterfuge antics and focus their efforts on recovering their wits and producing a great screenplay/film. Audiences deserve better and EoN are capable of doing better.

Agreed.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited April 2016 Posts: 15,423
    They shouldn't make a part two of something, both story and style-wise. Just come up with something that's different and what the audiences crave for. I'm afraid that has been the problem since The Man With The Golden Gun that tried to be a Live And Let Die 2, as was Moonraker with being The Spy Who Loved Me 2, Spectre being Skyfall 2, and you know how goes with the rest. They should just drop it.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    doubleoego wrote: »

Also agree.

Again such a high leading up to Spectre or really post SF. First worry was announcement Logan working on idea.

Now we're all worried about the future of Bond.

Very sad.
    I am not I am hopeful like I said in a perfect world we would get two more with Craig

The Hildebrand Rarity Madeline Swann is kidnapped by Spectre and Bond must find the Hildebrand rarity but where does his loyalty lie with mi6 or Swann (bond would appear to be working with Spectre the whole time but in reality would be working for mi6 and Swann would be saved but did at the end of the film)

Blofeld it's the final fight after the death of his wife Madeline Swann at the hands of Blofeld Bond will track him down to farthest reaches of the globe and will kill Blofeld (the finale is in Japan with Bond having the most brutal sword fight against Blofeld with Bond finally killing Blofeld)

The Property of a Lady this is hiddleston's first outing as 007

Could be really well done if the right director is at the helm of the films above
  • doubleoego wrote: »

According to Deadline, the film needs to generate revenue between $925 - $930 million before it starts to make any profit on in its theatrical run alone (before any ancillaries such as TV syndication, DVD sales etc).

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-a6961156.html

And that's from the independent. A paper that does it's homework and due diligence before printing its stories/articles, presenting a non-partisan position in their reporting.

On top of that, people need to bare in mind that studios don't keep every dollar a movie makes at the BO. The cinema/theatre chains take a cut circa 50% domestically and 65% internationally. Plus WB isn't the only production company involved with BvS. Ratner's RatPac and 2 other companies will take their profits first from the movie before WB finally gets theirs.

Well, what about the coherency between the first paragraph and last paragraph.

How can you report that the film needs a $925M global revenue to make profit - and then add that the profit will be different whether the revenue is $525M US + $400M OS, or the revenue is $325M US + $600M OS ?

A claim of accuracy of $5M looks surreal IMO. But you can't publish a paper with a 100M$ uncertainty and look professional...

Read the leaks to see the producers discussing the profits of Skyfall and the hopes for SPECTRE, you'll have a closer look to the truth of how these things are supposed to work. And it means people will all the data actually disagree when they discuss when the profits start... It's incredibly complex accounting. For SPECTRE, producers were wondering if from an accounting point of view they actually benefited from product placement fees !
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Also agree.

Again such a high leading up to Spectre or really post SF. First worry was announcement Logan working on idea.

Very sad.

well, if it's true that they hired one of the writers of Mad Men to pen the story for Bond 25 (not the script mind you, but just the story treatment).. then i'd say they are off to a good start..

it's just who they hire to take whatever he writes, and make a script out of it.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    HASEROT wrote: »

Also agree.

Very sad.

well, if it's true that they hired one of the writers of Mad Men to pen the story for Bond 25 (not the script mind you, but just the story treatment).. then i'd say they are off to a good start..

it's just who they hire to take whatever he writes, and make a script out of it.

Yup ...crossed fingers
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    HASEROT wrote: »

Also agree.

Very sad.

Yup ...crossed fingers
    Mad Men was consistently very good during its entire 7 season run. Excellent show with deep, consistent characterizations, so I'm hopeful too. if there's any truth to this.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    here is the MI6 article on it.... but take it with a grain of salt - it's from Oct 2015, and since then i haven't heard whether it's been confirmed or denied of the writer's involvement.... the writer is in fact Matthew Weiner, who not only wrote for Mad Men - but was the series' creator.

the MI6 article is about a tabloid rumor that since EON had hired him to write, that they would be rebooting Bond back to the 60's - which has since been denied.

https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=11849&catid=4&t=tb&s=cr
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I'm not worried about the future of Bond films. It will happen. My biggest concern, as usual, is the writer(s). I'm happy for Mendes to be finished, if he is. But I was very satisfied with Skyfall and Spectre so that is nothing against him. They can hire another very good director. Craig, however, I definitely want for more one Bond film.

To reboot for a period piece and put Bond in the 60s is such a high risk and I don't think has the strongest appeal to begin with. Certainly not with me.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    ;)
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    A period piece will never happen.
    Since Spectre we know EON is playing it safe and that is a good thing.
    One experiment that didn't work is enough.
    I'm certain from now on we'll get more of the same that worked so well for 40 years.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

According to Deadline, the film needs to generate revenue between $925 - $930 million before it starts to make any profit on in its theatrical run alone (before any ancillaries such as TV syndication, DVD sales etc).

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-a6961156.html

And that's from the independent. A paper that does it's homework and due diligence before printing its stories/articles, presenting a non-partisan position in their reporting.

On top of that, people need to bare in mind that studios don't keep every dollar a movie makes at the BO. The cinema/theatre chains take a cut circa 50% domestically and 65% internationally. Plus WB isn't the only production company involved with BvS. Ratner's RatPac and 2 other companies will take their profits first from the movie before WB finally gets theirs.

Well, what about the coherency between the first paragraph and last paragraph.

How can you report that the film needs a $925M global revenue to make profit - and then add that the profit will be different whether the revenue is $525M US + $400M OS, or the revenue is $325M US + $600M OS ?

A claim of accuracy of $5M looks surreal IMO. But you can't publish a paper with a 100M$ uncertainty and look professional...

Read the leaks to see the producers discussing the profits of Skyfall and the hopes for SPECTRE, you'll have a closer look to the truth of how these things are supposed to work. And it means people will all the data actually disagree when they discuss when the profits start... It's incredibly complex accounting. For SPECTRE, producers were wondering if from an accounting point of view they actually benefited from product placement fees !

It really isn't that hard to grasp. Go and read up on the break down on how it works.
    Secondly, lets not get silly now; EoN are nowhere near being in the same position as WB/DC when it comes to ancillaries.
    A period Bond movie would be amazing but I accept that it might not have the commercial appeal that EON requires to keep the series going.

Bond in the 50s though. Would be amazing. Or even a WW2 origins movie...
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Getafix wrote: »
    A period Bond movie would be amazing but I accept that it might not have the commercial appeal that EON requires to keep the series going.

Bond in the 50s though. Would be amazing. Or even a WW2 origins movie...

I don't know... To me it's always more engaging to see the characters in the current reality fighting current evils. Otherwise there is a disconnect IMO. Also, please no more origins. I hate the idea of EON trying to reinvent the wheel yet again, like watching 1000 scenes of Bruce Wayne's parents getting shot over the years.
    Some Double O agents would retire rather than be killed. A Pre-title sequence based in the 60s which turned out to be a flash back of a previous assignment would be fun moving on to a modern day Bond working on the cold case. 8-10 mins of 60s action could be fun.
    As long as they keep true to the spirit of the Fleming novels, I'd accept an origin movie in WW2. But, only over that period of time. Not a modern-day origins.

Now, as much as I'd love a 1960s Bond film coming, again, like Getafix said, it doesn't have the commercial appeal that EON requires. But, one thing they have to do is to let other people do their Bond-like movies set in pre-1970s Cold War era. Like this Section 6 film project Universal Studios is doing and EON keeps blocking them because their film "sounds too much like Bond."

I've read the script through a friend of mine, and with a few fixes of things in it (like removing the 00-section), things will work just fine. EON should let them make that film. They did a similar thing years ago with a video game called The Operative: No One Lives Forever, and that one didn't even have a direct Bond reference taken from Fleming's books or the EON film series. Yet they blocked them from release until the main character was changed into a female spy. That said, I wonder how did Kingsman got away with these.
    patb wrote: »
    Some Double O agents would retire rather than be killed. A Pre-title sequence based in the 60s which turned out to be a flash back of a previous assignment would be fun moving on to a modern day Bond working on the cold case. 8-10 mins of 60s action could be fun.

Nice idea but in narrative terms not very realistic. You'd need a 90 year old actor to be playing Bond in the current day if we were to believe the same character was active In the 1960s!
    Getafix wrote: »

Nice idea but in narrative terms not very realistic. You'd need a 90 year old actor to be playing Bond in the current day if we were to believe the same character was active In the 1960s!
    I don't think he necessarily meant Bond to be present in the 60s period. Another 00-agent which Bond picks up the workload of, years later.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 4,602
    I didn't say it was Bond in the PTS (obviously thats bonkers), it would be a OO agent that some of the audience may assume to be Bond and there would be many cultural references to the 60s Bondian World but we obviously know that other OO agents were working on assignments in the 60s,
    the retired agent carries a secret that he passes on to Bond in the present day. re the time line, this just fits now, another 10 years and its too late
    I didn't say it was Bond in the PTS (obviously thats bonkers), it would be a OO agent that some of the audience may assume to be Bond, the agent carries a secret that he passes on to Bond in the present day.
    It would be fun if the actor resembled Sean Connery, wouldn't it? :D
    Fleming never wanted bond to be a period piece character doing a peirod piece novel flies in the face of that.

So is this Matthew guy writing bond 25?
  • RC7RC7
    edited April 2016 Posts: 10,512
    If you want fifties Bond, read the novels. It doesn't get any better. Any period piece will pale in comparison to genuine 50's/60's spy thrillers. Take UNCLE - it's 60s pastiche and cannot replicate the innate style and substance you get from a FRWL or an Ipcress File. Unless, amongst other things, you're adopting the limitations of the era you lack any authenticity and it becomes an imagined, half-remembered, homogenised aesthetic. They should keep moving forward. Fleming would want that.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Fleming never wanted bond to be a period piece character doing a peirod piece novel flies in the face of that.
    Fleming never said anything about Bond's setting being a period piece or present day.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 4,602
    Yes, the potential to use references to 60s but, at the same time, make it clear it's not Bond (he could drive a Jag for example), they could have all sorts of fun (smoking! my goodness, some sexism thrown in,) the writers could have a field day and it would be something very different without having a massive impact on the rest of the movie. And the casting would be fun. (or it could be a stunning "Bond girl" from that era who witnesses an agent being killed or double agent etc and then escapes into the darkness),
    titles (referencing the 2 era)
    A 90 year old Woman arriving unannounced at MI6 demanding to speak to M (perhaps carrying a keepsake to prove her story) would be a nice way to open the modern day section?