No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm really not fascinated with Blofeld as the archenemy of Bond. For me, the beauty of Bond series was that with a new movie, there was always a new villain and a new story. That played a huge part in the excitement of waiting for a new film.

This. I understand having a recurring villain for three-four movies, but having the same villain behind the events of 10 out of 24 movies is enough. I like the idea of having multiple different enemies.
    I'm actually one of the few people who enjoy having some continuity, but that doesn't mean you need to keep referencing the previous movies even when it's completely unnecessary just for the sake of it (such as the personal effects recovered from Skyfall) or that you need a mastermind behind the events of every single evil action Bond dealt with in his career. I'd rather see Bond developing as a character and learning from his past mistakes or evolving and changing because of what happened to him while fighting new threats.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Oh boy. That's 3 one worders starting with 'S' in a row. I guess since they'll all probably be connected given that title suggests a Mendes/Craig hat trick, I can live with it, but no more after that please.

I'd like a nice 4 word title-like From Russia With Love or Live and Let Die. We haven't had a 4 word title since For Your Eyes Only (unless you count Never Say Never Again).
    Personally I could take or leave the Craig/Blofeld story continuing. As a kid I always loved the Spectre films- FRWL, TB, OHMSS, etc If there were a glimmer of hope of it turning into a Blofeld Trilogy with Craig then I'd be all for it. But, it seemed too late in Craig's era to start one. Especially since everything is so up in the air....and it takes longer for the films to come out these days.

Yes, it might have been better if they saved Blofeld/Spectre for the next actor.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited April 2016 Posts: 10,588
    Two films (post '06) featuring Spectre and Blofeld are enough for me.
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Yes, it might have been better if they saved Blofeld/Spectre for the next actor.

I liked seeing Craig's Bond go up against Blofeld. I'm glad he got the chance, since he's my favorite Bond tied with Connery. Another, if executed well, would be nice.
  • Just kill off Blofeld in the next one and be done with it. I do not like the idea of recurring villains, they will just disadvantage the writers.
    They started too late with Spectre in the Craig era IMO.

Whats interesting is now that we know what we know with Spectre all of Craigs previous films were him killing Spectre agents.

Still, no telling how direct or indirect they were. I like to think not all are directly "Spectre agents", but are simply linked to Spectre.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Right. The only one from the past that is undeniably confirmed is Patrice.
  • Thanks for the answer!
    HASEROT wrote: »
    Is there any script for this movie yet? It must take as least one year to sort it out, if they haven't already started with it before in the planing on Spectre.

it depends on who they have working on it, and their schedules.....

the last i heard - EON had contacted one of the writers of the show Mad Men about penning the initial story / treatment for the next film... that was shortly after SP debuted in theaters ((not sure if this has been confirmed as official or not - but it was reported on this site))...

whether or not that writer stays on is anyone's guess.... i can't remember the last time they would be going with a new writing team, and new director for the next film (not since GE?).. so it'll be interesting to see if EON brings on writers of their own first, or if they'll opt to go with a director first, and then let him bring in his own writers...... what they've usually done in years past, is already have the script ready - then they get the director - who then sits down and makes his changes...

if the next film isn't due right now until 2018, i would say that EON will probably have something ready to go script wise by the end of 2016, or early 2017 - and a director probably wont be announced until spring/summer 2017.

• Yes that's a good point. I know that the films are not easy too do but it was better in the Brosnan era when it didn't took so long for a new movie to came out.
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    What worries me is that MGM doesn't seem to be in a hurry in getting a new distributor, leading to a release after 2018?

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Did I miss something? Aren't Le Chiffre, Greene and Silva as confirmed (ie hamfistedly retconned) as Patrice?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Did I miss something? Aren't Le Chiffre, Greene and Silva as confirmed (ie hamfistedly retconned) as Patrice?

I was referring more to the types like Bond: men of action out in the field doing wet work. Like the man Bond fights in the CR PTS, Slate, Carlos and all the rest. Sorry for not clarifying.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Was Dryden and his contact Mr. Fisher involved with Spectre? I thought it was a separate arc unrelated to the Chronicles of Spectre.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Was Dryden and his contact Mr. Fisher involved with Spectre? I thought it was a separate arc unrelated to the Chronicles of Spectre.

No reason to believe that they were.
    I thought it might be useful to knock up a quick list of named SPECTRE operatives for the Craig era. Then I thought it might not be useful but did it anyway:

CR - Le Chiffre, Kratt, Gettler, White.
    QOS - White, Mitchell, Slate, Greene, Elvis, Haines.
    SF - Patrice, Silva (is Severine on the payroll?)
    SP - Sciarra, Denbeigh, Hinx, Blofeld.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I think Severine is merely a victim in the game, merely a slave in Silva's possession. I don't think she might ever be a Spectre agent. Her position could be likened to that of Lupe Lamora's.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Vesper Lynd fits that bill too I would think. A pawn in the game.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I thought it might be useful to knock up a quick list of named SPECTRE operatives for the Craig era. Then I thought it might not be useful but did it anyway:

Yusef from QOS would be a SPECTRE operative too, I think.

Yusef from QOS would be a SPECTRE operative too, I think.

Yep give you that. Knew I'd miss someone out.
    Well, some of these might not have been Spectre per se, just individuals whose initiatives and agendas were used by Bofeld to further SP's plans. It seems like to me Le Chiffre was simply brought into the party unwillingly for the most part, and Silva would have gone ahead with his plan for revenge no matter what, it's only that SP used him to go after MI6 because it was in their best interest to do so.

Shows the brilliance of this organization, really. And their potential for damage.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    Well, some of these might not have been Spectre per se, just individuals whose initiatives and agendas were used by Bofeld to further SP's plans. It seems like to me Le Chiffre was simply brought into the party unwillingly for the most part, and Silva would have gone ahead with his plan for revenge no matter what, it's only that SP used him to go after MI6 because it was in their best interest to do so.

Shows the brilliance of this organization, really. And their potential for damage.

Agreed.

Who knows? Maybe Silva, in one of his hot white suits, was at one of those meetings in Rome? And the assignment came up about infiltrating and taking down MI6?

I could see Raoul licking his chops like a hungry wolf.

Completely disagreed. I might be inclined to agree somewhat if the plan was to use SPECTRE in those capacities from the get go, and there was evidence to suggest that they were behind it in the other Craig films, but it just isn't there.

All of this, IMO, just goes to show how weak both Spectre and SPECTRE themselves are. The "brilliance" of the plan on SPECTRE's part to coerce Le Chiffre into assisting and getting Silva involved is simply a retcon tacked onto the end of Craig's tenure to make those individual, and unrelated, missions and villains seem like a part of a larger conspiracy when they weren't meant to be. I don't think that SPECTRE used Silva at all. It seemed pretty clear in Skyfall that he was in business for himself, not aided by a secret organization behind him, until it was decided much later on that, in order to give Spectre's abysmal script some much needed punching up that they needed to tie all of Craig's Bond films together when that intent wasn't there from the beginning.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    What a pretentious bunch of nitwits P&W are.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Craig is in no way finished with what he can do with the role. You guys do make me laugh. He may or may not be back. But he has plenty he can do with Bond. He's a great Bond and that hasn't diminished.

i completely agree..

the only thing is, is does Craig feel he has anything further to explore with the character?... Myself, you, and others feel like he does - but it doesn't matter what we think when it comes to him making his decision...

there is a line in SP that always gives me reason to optimistic.... i know that it's just a line, and there is no extra hidden significance to it... but it's when Moneypenny is at Bond's flat and she says "People are saying that you're finished.".. Bond responds with "What do you think?".. to which Moneypenny says "I think you're just getting started." .... i would like to believe it as a parallel to what is going on in real life in regards to his future as Bond.... but oh well - whatever helps us sleep at night. :) lol
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I have an insider source who worked with Daniel Craig's aunt's cousin's dog's former owner's step brother's 3rd cousin 9 times removed that he may or may not return. I'd take it with a grain of salt.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    dalton wrote: »

Completely disagreed. I might be inclined to agree somewhat if the plan was to use SPECTRE in those capacities from the get go, and there was evidence to suggest that they were behind it in the other Craig films, but it just isn't there.

All of this, IMO, just goes to show how weak both Spectre and SPECTRE themselves are. The "brilliance" of the plan on SPECTRE's part to coerce Le Chiffre into assisting and getting Silva involved is simply a retcon tacked onto the end of Craig's tenure to make those individual, and unrelated, missions and villains seem like a part of a larger conspiracy when they weren't meant to be. I don't think that SPECTRE used Silva at all. It seemed pretty clear in Skyfall that he was in business for himself, not aided by a secret organization behind him, until it was decided much later on that, in order to give Spectre's abysmal script some much needed punching up that they needed to tie all of Craig's Bond films together when that intent wasn't there from the beginning.

Agreed. I can accept CR and QS as part but not SF. Wasn't necessary.. just tarnished SF.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Agreed. I can accept CR and QS as part but not SF. Wasn't necessary.. just tarnished SF.

i don't mind the retconing of certain things, when it's done right... my biggest issue, is that it comes in a script that half cocked, and rushed to bring back Blofeld and Spectre way too damn fast... instead of sitting down, and really thinking hard about how best to bring Blofeld and Spectre back - they get the right backs from McClory's estate, and no less than a year later he's in the next film ((( i blame part of it on Logan, who had such a hard-on for Bond vs Blofeld - that when they finally regained the rights, he must've blew several loads in his pants that he could do his 'dream Bond film' ))) .... so now they've all got the hots to force Blofeld and Spectre back into the mix without really thinking about all that had to retcon in order to connect CR, QOS, and SF to the new film, and also to have it make somewhat sense.....

it was all rushed... and like i've said before, if they wanted to set Blofeld up as the big bad pulling all of Bond's strings over the course of 4 films - then they should've set it up right from the start and built towards the eventual reveal.... plus, even though i like SF, i think doing a one off, with no passing reference to the Quantum organization really killed the momentum they built with them in CR and QOS... this is a case where i believe a 3rd film involving the Quantum organization might have been nice... instead, they followed the DN, FRWL, GF formula - which, god bless 'em - it worked a billion times over.... but when they go right back to evil organization mode in SP - it's like in the middle of writing the script they forgot about Quantum.. so they just put in a toss away like about 'Quantum and all it's members are all connected to Spectre as well' ...... it's just poor writing.... i think history will look back on this time between QOS-SF-SP as a really big missed opportunity to rebuild something grand and epic between Bond and Spectre... but instead, they misfired badly.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 9,117

This.
    HASEROT wrote: »
    mcdonbb wrote: »

i don't mind the retconing of certain things, when it's done right... my biggest issue, is that it comes in a script that half cocked, and rushed to bring back Blofeld and Spectre way too damn fast... instead of sitting down, and really thinking hard about how best to bring Blofeld and Spectre back - they get the right backs from McClory's estate, and no less than a year later he's in the next film ((( i blame part of it on Logan, who had such a hard-on for Bond vs Blofeld - that when they finally regained the rights, he must've blew several loads in his pants that he could do his 'dream Bond film' ))) .... so now they've all got the hots to force Blofeld and Spectre back into the mix without really thinking about all that had to retcon in order to connect CR, QOS, and SF to the new film, and also to have it make somewhat sense.....

it was all rushed... and like i've said before, if they wanted to set Blofeld up as the big bad pulling all of Bond's strings over the course of 4 films - then they should've set it up right from the start and built towards the eventual reveal.... plus, even though i like SF, i think doing a one off, with no passing reference to the Quantum organization really killed the momentum they built with them in CR and QOS... this is a case where i believe a 3rd film involving the Quantum organization might have been nice... instead, they followed the DN, FRWL, GF formula - which, god bless 'em - it worked a billion times over.... but when they go right back to evil organization mode in SP - it's like in the middle of writing the script they forgot about Quantum.. so they just put in a toss away like about 'Quantum and all it's members are all connected to Spectre as well' ...... it's just poor writing.... i think history will look back on this time between QOS-SF-SP as a really big missed opportunity to rebuild something grand and epic between Bond and Spectre... but instead, they misfired badly.

And this.

Rather than thinking 'Right we have finally got the rights we need to make sure we do it right not like the f**k up that was DAF after OHMSS.'
    they needed to sit Craig down and say 'We've got the rights to SPECTRE and Blofeld but we can't do justice to it in one film or even two. Are you committed to doing a 3 film arc with a film in 2015, 2017/18 and 2020 as your final one? If you're not then fine. You've already proved to be an excellent and, more importantly, bankable Bond so we'll do you a TB style extravaganza to bow out on and then start Blofeld and SPECTRE with the next guy.'

You could then remove all mention of Blofeld from SP and have Oberhauser as the villain (then the stepbrother wank wouldn't be as offensive) and have it as a standalone film.

But the way they went about it the whole thing was done as if they had given scriptwriting duties to a 9 year old.

'Let's have SPECTRE come back and wouldn't it be cool if they were the baddies in all of Craig's films?'
    'How would that work? Wouldn't it come across as incredibly clunky?'
    'Nah it'll be fine. Logan and P&W have the talent to pull it off convincingly.'

'Let's have Blofeld back too!'
    'And the cat!!'
    'And we could give him the scar!!!'
    'And wouldn't it be cool if he is Bond's foster brother!!!!'

Much as I decry the tedium of Marvel's sausage factory at least you get the impression they have at some point sat down and thought about their strategy whereas EON just make it up from scratch with every film. That's not a problem if you only make standalone films but if some genius then decides it would be a clever notion to clumsily stitch them all together like Christiaan Barnard with Parkinson's and a blindfold then don't be surprised if the patient expires on the operating table.
    It does appear to be a real shoot from the hip type of strategy here.