No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    What I would love for Bond 25 is this. Craig as Bond. Waltz back as Blofeld. Mendes back in the directors chair.

Amen to this.
    Craig only has one more in him, Craig just isnt in the same shape as CR/QOS.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The only way I see Craig doing two more is this: they don't rush the next one, perhaps they start working on a script and getting everything together and really polished while Craig does his TV/Broadway work. They throw a stupid amount of money at him when it's time to film in exchange for a longer shoot that produces two films, and then he's done. Craig gets a solid six under his belt, lots of money, and they can plan two Bond releases perhaps a year or two from one another.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Craig's done. He shot his bolt. And a fine Bolt it was.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Daniel Craig Will Return
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Those last two comments essentially sum up the entirety of all 109 pages of this thread.

That said, I hope we get some major news soon.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    jake24 wrote: »
    Those last two comments essentially sum up the entirety of all 109 pages of this thread.

That said, I hope we get some major news soon.

Yes, for the last time we should each act like we're Craig's publicist for a moment, state whether he's returning for Bond 25 or not, then bugger off until some tangible news is released.

I'll start us off: Daniel Craig will return in Bond 25.
    if we dont hear something until next year the film wont be out in 2018 IMO.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Craig is in no way finished with what he can do with the role. You guys do make me laugh. He may or may not be back. But he has plenty he can do with Bond. He's a great Bond and that hasn't diminished.
    What worries me is that MGM doesn't seem to be in a hurry in getting a new distributor, leading to a release after 2018?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Craig's done. He shot his bolt. And a fine Bolt it was.
    Mirrors my thoughts completely. He's done imho.
    Bond 25 was never coming out any sooner then 2018.
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Bond 25 was never coming out any sooner then 2018.

Absolutely, but my worry is it might actually be later than 2018.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I bet we get 2 Bourne films first by the time we see Bond 25.
    I genuinely think that 2018 is the earliest the film will come out.

I also think it's very likely that the film may not appear till 2019. I'd imagine that the SP production (remember it was a $300m production that wasn't overly well-received both financially or critically) burnt EON out and they most likely want a break. I also think they will need to reconvene and figure out exactly what they want to do.

If they go back to Mendes and Craig (both I feel are definite possibilities for return), I'd imagine EON would want to come out in 2018. But neither seem too enthused at the moment so if they want that duo back, they my need to let them re-charge their creative batteries. I reckon 2019 is likely.

Secondly, if Craig and Mendes are gone...well I think it's likely we'll see a total overhaul (a la CR in 2006). There would likely be a long gestation period, similar to length between DAD and CR, as EON figure out the new direction (ie; director, screenwriter, actor). I'd imagine the end product will arrive in 2019.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say acquiring the rights to Spectre/Blofeld is a massive box office deal alongside Craig, when SP made much, much less than the standalone SF.

"You know they want a Spectre trilogy." Who does and why?

EON. Like they did during the Connery/Lazenby era. They know we are in a Second Golden Age and want to recreate as many aspects of Connery's era as possible.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I genuinely think that 2018 is the earliest the film will come out.

I also think it's very likely that the film may not appear till 2019. I'd imagine that the SP production (remember it was a $300m production that wasn't overly well-received both financially or critically) burnt EON out and they most likely want a break. I also think they will need to reconvene and figure out exactly what they want to do.
    I think Broccoli/Wilson need to impose just a little more discipline and control over their approach. I'm not sure who does this sort of thing in the production side, not being from the industry, but it's evident to me that a little more process rigour is required.

Many here blast Disney for churning films out (SW & Marvel franchises) but I can honestly say, apart from a few clunkers, that I have enjoyed and look forward to most of their product. That's impressive given the pace at which they are introducing characters and making films.

I can't honestly say that I feel the wait for SP was worth 3 years. In fact, I can say with certainty that I don't think it was. Most of that wait was on account of holding out for the director, and the rest was due to shoddy execution in the script dept. On top of that, we had Craig's accident, which should have been prevented with better preparation and precautions (it was unnecessary imho, especially at this level of the game).

So again, I think they need people who have a better grip on process, especially if they find that aspect overwhelming. This includes having a long term vision, direction & approach for the character in mind, rather than appearing to shift with each film.

It's possible that a lot of this is on account of Craig himself. As was discussed here earlier, each of his films seem to have a distinct artistic bent different from the previous one. Some are liked better than others by some fans. They are almost art-house in that respect, for blockbusters.
  • DisneyBond007DisneyBond007 Welwyn Garden City
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    What worries me is that MGM doesn't seem to be in a hurry in getting a new distributor, leading to a release after 2018?

So indeed. Wonder if there's a different storylines for Bond 25, not just about terrorist and stuff, but about the Martian War (inspired by a documentary called The Great Martian War) where James Bond comes face to face the a new enemy known as The Martians; an ancient alien race from the planet Mars.

Then Bond 26 will have a regular storylines after that. it would be brilliant for EON if they want Bond 25 a 'Martian War' story first, unless Daniel Craig to return as the British spy agent. But however, we don't know yet that Bond 25 will come out whenever next year or 2018?
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 4,325
    tanaka123 wrote: »

So indeed. Wonder if there's a different storylines for Bond 25, not just about terrorist and stuff, but about the Martian War (inspired by a documentary called The Great Martian War) where James Bond comes face to face the a new enemy known as The Martians; an ancient alien race from the planet Mars.

Then Bond 26 will have a regular storylines after that. it would be brilliant for EON if they want Bond 25 a 'Martian War' story first, unless Daniel Craig to return as the British spy agent. But however, we don't know yet that Bond 25 will come out whenever next year or 2018?

Martians? ... erm ...okay ...
    Moving back to reality bond 25 really should be the completion of the Blofeld story and should be titled Blofeld

Unless Craig can do two more in which case The Hildebrand Rarity (a mixture of ohmss and You only live twice) and bond 26 being Blofeld a final confrontation between bond and Blofeld
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Moving back to reality bond 25 really should be the completion of the Blofeld story and should be titled Blofeld

Unless Craig can do two more in which case The Hildebrand Rarity (a mixture of ohmss and You only live twice) and bond 26 being Blofeld a final confrontation between bond and Blofeld

This is the best idea so far. I want that! =D>
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    They just got the rights back to Blofeld, they wouldn't introduce him and then finish his story in just two films.
    The issue is in terms of over use of characters while characters like Blofeld, the joker, Lex Luthor etc are iconic the over use of said characters can be detrimental to a film series.

If batman just fought the joker every film or bond fought Blofeld every film it would eventually lead to issues with the characters being over used and tiring people out. So while they could use Blofeld for the next 15 films I say close out his story line now and then move on in a decade or so and bring him back.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    The issue is in terms of over use of characters while characters like Blofeld, the joker, Lex Luthor etc are iconic the over use of said characters can be detrimental to a film series.

If batman just fought the joker every film or bond fought Blofeld every film it would eventually lead to issues with the characters being over used and tiring people out. So while they could use Blofeld for the next 15 films I say close out his story line now and then move on in a decade or so and bring him back.

They need to kill Blofeld off properly - build it up over a few films (or 2) and have a decent showdown between Bond and Blofeld.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Hopefully EON will never choose something so lame and lazy a title like "Blofeld". Although I was one of those who thought EON's minds were clever enough not to use SPECTRE as a movie title and make Blofeld Bond's step-brother, and I was proven wrong.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Well foster brother perhaps... only for a short time I think.

So see you weren't completely wrong :D
    I'd prefer a longer title for the next one. No more 'one word' titles for a while, just for varieties sake.
    I like the title "Shatterhand"
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Oh boy. That's 3 one worders starting with 'S' in a row. I guess since they'll all probably be connected given that title suggests a Mendes/Craig hat trick, I can live with it, but no more after that please.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm really not fascinated with Blofeld as the archenemy of Bond. For me, the beauty of Bond series was that with a new movie, there was always a new villain and a new story. That played a huge part in the excitement of waiting for a new film.

I understand the appeal of these pre-planned franchises, but I don't want Bond to become that. They should keep only a basic continuity, and make each film as a standalone entity. Perhaps a scaled-down production, less "epic" films with more focus on thriller elements would be a good way to go in order to avoid the box office competition with these huge superhero franchises.