The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

After watching all four Brosnan JB movies again and again from time to time, I can surely say his best performance was in DAD. Which was also the best 30 minutes in his Bond outfits.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 11,189
    Pierce having a fight with a tree .

Preeettty embarrassing
    #-o #-o

(Shady Tree we just adored your act).
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    BAIN123 wrote: »

Preeettty embarrassing
    #-o #-o

Right in the feels! =))
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883

Preeettty embarrassing
    #-o #-o

Oh dear. What is this? I can't say more given the nature of this thread, but I surely appreciate this being posted here, at least for humour purposes.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    BAG OF BONES

is a movie made for television. It is truly awful. I bought it of course as I buy anything with Brosnan in it.

Mick Garris truly is one of the most untalented directors out there, it's not only Brosnan's performance that lacks. And the special effects are laughable, and of course it is another completely failed attempt to make a movie out of a Stephen King novel. Unbelievable that this crap has cost 15 million USD.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Watched Robot Overlords last night. Was looking forward to watching this but, my, was I disappointed? Not great, A ngsle and Anderson were a wasted talent in this. And Anderson's British accent? [-X
    This performance rivals the legendary "Well then you shouldn't be living HERE!!!!!!!" for dramatic delivery from Pierce.
    Taffin wasn't exactly Brosnan's finest hour, either.
    Brozza's branched off

(Glad I got there first).
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Taffin wasn't exactly Brosnan's finest hour, either.
    Man, I loved it!
    =))
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    You are all bullies to my husband Pierce lol.

Remember this is an appreciation thread, not a thread to make fun of my poor Pierce. I haven't seen bag of Bones but i forgive him everythig no matter how bad it is
    Maybe he was told to play it in an overly theatrical way?
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 5,185
    Maybe he was told to play it in an overly theatrical way?

true, or maybe the scene required for him to pretend rather than show real emotions. i haven't seen the movie so i don't know what the context of that scene was.
    But you can see that he's not into it, so maybe it was simply the character not being trully into what he is saying

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Given how the thread is heading. Perhaps we should drop the word " appreciation "
    from the heading ?
    If anyone hasn't seen Love is All You Need I'd still recommend it. Probably Brozza's best post-Bond film so far.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    If anyone hasn't seen Love is All You Need I'd still recommend it. Probably Brozza's best post-Bond film so far.
    Which Beatle did he play?

chrisisall wrote: »
    Which Beatle did he play?

Indeed, Love Is All You Need is another fantastic movie directed by Susanne Bier, who is criminally underrated a director. Check out her movies.
    By the way she is directing the tv-show The Night Manager
    The Expendables 4 is due to begin production in a few months. And we have Brosnan cast in a role, which is undisclosed so far. But, heck, anything to see him in action as a gun-wielding action hero (or a villain) is a win-win for me. I doubt he'll be the action figure type of man in The Foreigner, so we'll wait. Then, there will be the sequel to The November Man to come.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    The Expendables 4 is due to begin production in a few months. And we have Brosnan cast in a role, which is undisclosed so far. But, heck, anything to see him in action as a gun-wielding action hero (or a villain) is a win-win for me. I doubt he'll be the action figure type of man in The Foreigner, so we'll wait. Then, there will be the sequel to The November Man to come.

I agree, seeing Pierce in action is always a treat.
    The foreigner looks great and i can't wait The novembet man sequel.

Anyway another underrated Pierce film is Some kind of beautiful.

edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I just came across this recent article on The Tailor Panama. I thought I'd post it out of interest for fans. It's one of my favourite Brosnan films. Highly recommended.

I happen to agree with nearly everything the author has written here, including his view on Brosnan's Bond films.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3849082
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited April 2016 Posts: 1,130
    bondjames wrote: »
    I just came across this recent article on The Tailor Panama. I thought I'd post it out of interest for fans. It's one of my favourite Brosnan films. Highly recommended.

I happen to agree with nearly everything the author has written here, including his view on Brosnan's Bond films.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3849082

I don't agree much with the article definitely not with the part where it says all the Brosnan era films were bad and Pierce not making a good Bond.

I think he was an excellent and bringing the best of his predecessors made him a perfectly wel rounded Bond.
    Also his films were products of their times, no one in the 90s cared much for a good script in action, it was all about being fun and entertaining and Pierce's films got that right.

I agree on how great he was in the tailor of Panama but there was an Anti Bond. Pierce is not at his best when goes completely dark he can be great but there is nothing i love more from Pierce than seing him playing James Bond( the cinemmatic classic version), Thomas Crown Max ( his character in after the sunset).

I love the cool and sexy romantic leading man Pierce and thats the biggest treat for his fan girls like me
    Once in while i do like seeing him challenge himself a little and show he is a very good actor.
    But i prefer to see him play the sexy type of characters.

Just like i bet Brad Pitt female fan aldo prefer his sexy type of characters like Akillies , John Smith Rusty Ryan instead like the characters he played in 7 or 12 monkeys

@Szonana, let me put it this way. I don't think any other Bond actor could have played the Tailor of Panama role as well as Pierce Brosnan. Not even Daniel Craig. That is why I think it's one of his best performances. I can't say that about many of his other roles, including his most famous one. I think that is what the writer is getting at.

I agree with his assessment that this type of character is where Brosnan is best. It allows him to be unconstrained. Yes, it is more of an anti-Bond (not entirely though) but it also may have been closer to the kind of Bond that Tarantino would have come up with. Brosnan's character in November Man also was unconstrained. Especially during that (for me) uncomfortable torture of Sarah in front of Mason.

Either that type of character, or the super smooth/slick business type (Noble House or The Thomas Crown Affair) is where I think he's best.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 928
    I decided to rank Pierce's non-Bond films, although I've yet to catch up on much of his filmography.

1. The Ghost Writer
    2. The World's End
    3. The Thomas Crown Affair
    4. Love is All You Need
    5. Seraphim Falls
    6. Mrs. Doubtfire
    7. Dante's Peak
    8. The Matador
    9. The Tailor of Panama
    10. Remember Me
    11. The Fourth Protocol
    12. The Greatest
    13. The November Man
    14. After the Sunset
    15. Robinson Crusoe
    16. Laws of Attraction
    17. Mars Attacks!
    18. Mamma Mia!
    19. The Love Punch
    20. Survivor
    21. The Death Train
    22. Percy Jackson & the Olympians
    The list above illustrates nicely what a great career Brosnan has since over 30 years! (TV included).

Dante's Peak and The Thomas Crown Affair are both in my Top 100 best movies ever list.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Brosnan gets a bad rap most of the time but irrespective of the quality of his films, they were fun for the most part and he was a fun Bond.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    bondjames wrote: »
    @Szonana, let me put it this way. I don't think any other Bond actor could have played the Tailor of Panama role as well as Pierce Brosnan. Not even Daniel Craig. That is why I think it's one of his best performances. I can't say that about many of his other roles, including his most famous one. I think that is what the writer is getting at.

I agree with his assessment that this type of character is where Brosnan is best. It allows him to be unconstrained. Yes, it is more of an anti-Bond (not entirely though) but it also may have been closer to the kind of Bond that Tarantino would have come up with. Brosnan's character in November Man also was unconstrained. Especially during that (for me) uncomfortable torture of Sarah in front of Mason.

Either that type of character, or the super smooth/slick business type (Noble House or The Thomas Crown Affair) is where I think he's best.

Ohh ok i guess i now understand better wthat the writer meant but i still slightly disgaree but maybe its its just because im baissed since i loved his Bond.

But yes The Tailor of Panama was a great film for him and he was incredible, the effect of the torture scene in The November Man had on you its the same the almost Rape of Jamie Lee Curtis had on me.

After that scene i watched many times many of his smooth momenhts to earse that image oit of my mind

• JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Erm, ok. Well, maybe it'll give that codename theory a boost. ;) If not Bond, what was he up to??

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2016/01/14/pierce-brosnan-denies-ever-being-james-bond/
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited April 2016 Posts: 1,130
    Erm, ok. Well, maybe it'll give that codename theory a boost. ;) If not Bond, what was he up to??

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2016/01/14/pierce-brosnan-denies-ever-being-james-bond/

Ive read. Few more articles about it and it appears he said it like joke.

Ive googled and found a few more stuff on this subject and looks like it was a satire comment since he will be in a biopic about Garry Adams who ive read was supposedly involved with the IRA but he denied it.

for some reason this joke this isn't funny to me.
    It didn't made me laugh it worried me thT he went really nuts or was in drugs, a joke like this could ruin his career.
    Couldn't he have waited for the promotion to make it truly funny and that we would have all laughed. ? This way if you don't read enough about it comes off as he was ungreatful and and an SOB.

Sorry for being a parrt booper but i just don't think that satire was appropriate

I lean more towards the hard-edged Bond, and as such, pre Brosnan, was very happy with Dalton and very sad about the hiatus after LTK. I had seen Pierce Brosnan pre-Bond in "The Fourth Protocol" (in which he impressed me) and "Mrs Doubtfire", and as Remington Steele. Due to the latter, I had some apprehension when he became Bond.

Goldeneye was the first Bond I saw in cinema (after having seen all previous Bond-movies on TV). I really enjoyed Pierce Brosnan and was impressed with how he handled the physical stuff. I've enjoyed all of his Bond-performances. I believe the PTS of TWINE is his finest moment as Bond. And despite my opinion on DAD, I think he is the only redeeming quality in that movie and I think it's his best Bond-performance overall.

His best acting scenes are with M. It strikes me that his Bond is the one that is the most straightforward with M. He dares to really confront her, almost as if he is her equal. With Craig following in his Bond-footsteps, I refound my hard-edged Bond again, which wasn't that beneficial for my reviewing of Brosnan. But that is talking in hindsight. I'm finding I rediscover his Bond and find him as entertaining as when I first saw him in cinema.

But I actually find Brosnan best in his non-Bond roles: I thoroughly enjoyed his performance in The Thomas Crown Affair, The Tailor of Panama and The Ghost Writer. And they get better each time I watch them.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    But I actually find Brosnan best in his non-Bond roles: I thoroughly enjoyed his performance in The Thomas Crown Affair, The Tailor of Panama and The Ghost Writer. And they get better each time I watch them.
    I agree with you on this. I too prefer Brosnan in his non-Bond roles, where he has been quite excellent.

Having said that, on my last Bondathon, I was quite impressed with Brosnan. Apart from TWINE which I have a very low regard for in every way, he was a very entertaining & energetic Bond and quite suave. I don't see his era as a critical quality era so much as a high octane action oriented one, and on that front his films and he deliver quite well.

I'm a bit disappointed to read of his apparent memory loss in the link posted above though. I hope he is joking or that article is a fake.