The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    @BondJasonBond006: Thank you, sir! :D
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    That's the great thing about the movies, we all hold so many different opinions. :)
    You guys have yours and I have the right ones. :D

You have indeed ! :\">
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Brosnan was short changed by EON. There is no doubt about that in my mind. Babs and Wilson were in learning mode. It's notable that GE is his most critically acclaimed Bond film by fans and critics, and that was made when Cubby was still alive. Sure, Campbell had a lot to do with it as well, but it was notably less generic than the other three films. More charismatic and European in tone, which is what Bond should be imho.

Brosnan also gave it his best. There is no doubt about that as well in my view. He should be commended for doing the best he could. One can disagree on whether that was good enough (and I don't think it was in many instances) but he gets a full 'A' for effort from me over his 4 films and 7 yrs in the role.

@Scaramanga12, this is an appreciation thread, so I won't go into details about my view on TWINE here. I am including a post I made almost two years ago in a 'hater' thread which summarizes my views on that film. I strongly advice those who may be offended not to read it (I am not responsible for hatred that may come my way as a result of unintended clicks):
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/407521/#Comment_407521
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Although I have changed a few of my opinions from chatting with other fans. I'm
    sometimes amazed at little points others have seen, that I've totally missed. So
    I'm always willing to learn.
    @bondjames

I'll read it.

TWINE is as good as SF
    I have them neck to neck in my ranking, quite far far away from the top :))
    I can't say more as this is an appreciation thread :))
  • @bondjames thanks. A good read and I don't disagree with your complaints, especially with Brosnan overacting.

On a separate note, I think it says a lot about how Brosnan thought Bond should be played that the undewater tie adjusting was his idea.
    @BondJasonBond006, I'm truly sorry that I had to put that link here, but it was the only way to answer the question asked in a clear way without upsetting the sensibilities inherent in this thread. I apologize in advance to @Szonana as well. I do not mean to offend her either.
  • I'm sure we're all grown ups here. @Szonana won't mind that small diversion, and I don't think even she can defend the parahawk sequence. It's a parody of incompetent Bond goons lol. One flies into a tree. One drops a grenade on another, and then the others manage to crash into each other.

Back on topic, I liked Brosnan in the ghost writer as a Tony Blair like figure, but that's the only other thing I've seen him in.
    The tie adjusting is the best thing about TWINE and one of the great moments in the franchise :D
    What's wrong with the parahawk sequence? And I for one loved that tie adjusting moment, same equivalent as to Craig adjusting his cufflinks as he lands at the edge of the train in Skyfall.
    He was brilliant in the Ghost Writer. I agree. Those kind of roles suit him.

I also highly recommend the Tailor of Panama. Another great performance from him there.

Also the 80's miniseries, The Noble House. A bit cheesy but he owns the role of Ian Dunross.
    Brosnan was born in the wrong time. He is a perfect light comedian/leading man.
    He would have been perfect for any David Niven, Cary Grant roles but sadly. Those
    Sophisticated, word play type of movies aren't made these days.
    I have to say that I agree dark roles aren't his type. But, he isn't necessarily a comedian type of an actor, either. Have you seen him in The Fourth Protocol and Survivor? He was brilliant piece of a distinguished villain in these films.
    Yes ( I do like him) , I just feel he's more of a comedic leading man, his timing is
    fantastic. Once again it's only my opinion. I could be wrong. ;)
    I see him best in full on comedy, suave business type, unhinged villain, or unhinged hero. He's proven time after time that this is where he thrives.
    It's probably the Remington Steele vibe he started off with. ;)

If you haven't seen the series, Thunder, I heavily recommend it. :D
    Oh, I was a huge fan of him in Remmington Steele, and I hope no one thinks my saying
    he's best as a light comedic leading man, is in any way insulting him. I think that takes
    Great skill and timing as well as being able to think on your feet. The likes of Sir Roger
    make it look easy, so everyone thinks it is, but looking relaxed and comfortable is very
    hard when acting.
  • What's wrong with the parahawk sequence? And I for one loved that tie adjusting moment, same equivalent as to Craig adjusting his cufflinks as he lands at the edge of the train in Skyfall.

Can you imagine Connery or Dalton (the standard bearers of Bond) being so foppish?
    What's wrong with the parahawk sequence? And I for one loved that tie adjusting moment, same equivalent as to Craig adjusting his cufflinks as he lands at the edge of the train in Skyfall.

Can you imagine Connery or Dalton (the standard bearers of Bond) being so foppish?
    You Only Live Twice. At the end of the Ning-Po docks.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Connery always did it with such assured style though. Same in TB, when Fiona ripped him apart "Queen and Country". Or in DN when Quarrel was about to take him on.
    Precisely. And if I do remember correctly, the literary Bond wasn't indifferent about his clothes, either. One example? When he checked himself, his lapels and the display of the pistol in its holster underneath the jacket in front of the mirror. Heck, that aspect is even present in the new comic book.
    Just saw "Survivor" and once again Brosnan makes a convincing villain. Perhaps he could be Craigs next Villain.
    I also think Pierce suits being a little older, he's more distinguished, he really
    looks good.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited March 2016 Posts: 1,130
    I'm sure we're all grown ups here. @Szonana won't mind that small diversion, and I don't think even she can defend the parahawk sequence. It's a parody of incompetent Bond goons lol. One flies into a tree. One drops a grenade on another, and then the others manage to crash into each other.

Back on topic, I liked Brosnan in the ghost writer as a Tony Blair like figure, but that's the only other thing I've seen him in.

Hehe yes ofcourse I can't defend what its undefendable but those are things that i just overlook for my enjoyment of the movie and it would be a boring world if everyone thought the same way and i accept very well diversion of opinions.

I love when i know of Pierce fans in the rolei won't deny so but i get that many won't and im glad you liked him at
    East in The Ghost writer that was a great performance.

• Szonana wrote: »

Hehe yes ofcourse I can't defend what its undefendable but those are things that i just overlook for my enjoyment of the movie and it would be a boring world if everyone thought the same way and i accept very well diversion of opinions.

I love when i know of Pierce fans in the rolei won't deny so but i get that many won't and im glad you liked him at

Thank you, those sentiments do you great credit. I'm sorry if that sounds pompous but I can't think of another way to say that.

I would be interested to know why you prefer Pierce over Dalton (for example)?
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Szonana wrote: »

Thank you, those sentiments do you great credit. I'm sorry if that sounds pompous but I can't think of another way to say that.

I would be interested to know why you prefer Pierce over Dalton (for example)?

What i loved the most about Pierce's portrayal is how easy it came for him to be a ladies man. He was effortlessly charismatic charming and sexy which are very important characteristics in the Bond character.

He also had very nice sense of humor without going overtly goofy like Moore did who's sense humor looked way too Much like a Parody of Bond.
    Now even though Pierce wasn't as though as Craig or Dalton he was still belivable as a spy he had his good moments of thoughness and well he is the Bond I startedthe franchise with.

Connery has also all the traits i care the most for in a Bond actor and i love Connery for the same reasons i love Pierce but Pierce had the small advantage Of being my first Bond.

Now i do like Dalton very much as well and i think he was very handsome its just that his films had a more tv movie style but he was great in the role and he did the best angry Bond with the thirst of revenge.
    He was my third favorite till Spectre came out.

• Pierce having a fight with a tree .
    I have to say, even as a Brosnan fan, that isn't much of a good acting there. Lol!
    Great bit of " Trimming the bush" acting. From Pierce. ;)
    Great bit of " Trimming the bush" acting. From Pierce. ;)
    :))