Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    There are two kinds of Bond movies- the ones that make one want to be him, and the ones where you're kind of glad NOT to be him. DN, FRWL, OHMSS, TLD, LTK, and Craig's first 3 are the latter. SPECTRE brings back a Thunderball vibe, the "men want to be him & ladies want to be with him" thing. It's been said that if a Bond movie leaves you feeling like you'd have fun being OO7, then it isn't terribly 'Fleming'. And I think that's the crux of the disappointment for peeps here who don't like SP much.
    Controversial?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    chrisisall wrote: »
    There are two kinds of Bond movies- the ones Ii make one want to be him, and the ones where you're kind of glad NOT to be him. DN, FRWL, OHMSS, TLD, LTK, and Craig's first 3 are the latter. SPECTRE brings back a Thunderball vibe, the "men want to be him & ladies want to be with him" thing. It's been said that if a Bond movie leaves you feeling like you'd have fun being OO7, then it isn't terribly 'Fleming'. And I think that's the crux of the disappointment for peeps here who don't like SP much.
    Controversial?

I don't want to be Bond tied to that touture chair. [-(
    I don't want to be Bond tied to that torture chair. [-(

5 minutes of pain... big deal.

Standing on Lego is five minutes of pain. I have a feeling that machine would leave one with a considerable headache for quite some time.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    No, torture chair ! Not a big Fleming fan I take it. :D

I like the scene, I just have no desire to live it.
    Don't knock it, if you haven't tried it ! ;)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

I have a feeling that machine would leave one with a considerable headache for quite some time.

Well it didn't leave Bond with much of one.

Anyway 5 mins of pain a small price to pay to drive that Aston and shag Monica and Lea.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 17,696
    Don't knock it, if you haven't tried it ! ;)
    Been there, done that (wisdom tooth extraction with deep roots & no painkiller).
    It was fairly medieval. After the five minutes you feel so glad it's over that the lingering pain & headache feel like Heaven....
    Are you Bear Grylls @Chrisisall ;)
    We got a badass over here.
    Are you Bear Grylls @Chrisisall ;)
    I had to look him up- No, I'm not in that class... it's that bullet in my amygdalota....
    Still, respect. That sounds very painful. My only dentist story, is when I had to have
    a wisdom tooth removed ( I did have the pain killers ) My dentist said I was very brave
    As most people she has to put completely out. She didn't give me a lolly or a sticker
    To say what a brave boy I was. Which was upsetting. :)
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico

Me niether, i prefer more the cinemmatic Bond over Fleming's Bond
    But my only question here is. who created the cinemmatic Bond: Cubby Broccoli, Terrence Young or Guy Hamilton.?

Cubby as a producer had the idea of changing bond a little for the big screen, Terrence Young made him very sophisticated and Trained Connery to be an English Gentleman but Guy Hamilton gave him the fully loaded Car and the gadgets.

So who is the authour of the Cinemmatic Bond ?
    Szonana wrote: »

So who is the authour of the Cinemmatic Bond ?

Terence Young.
    I always got the impression Bond was fairly sophisticated in the Books. ;)
    Timothy Dalton was a placeholder for Pierce Brosnan. The pretitle sequence to GolenEye is better then The Living Daylights and Licence to Kill combined.

Thunderball is Connery's worst film.

Quantum of Solace is underrated.

Writing's On the Wall is a good song.

The Aston Martin Vanish is one of the highlights of Die Another Day.

Jinx is the worst Bond girl ever.
    Gobi-1 wrote: »
    Timothy Dalton was a placeholder for Pierce Brosnan. The pretitle sequence to GolenEye is better then The Living Daylights and Licence to Kill combined.

I agree with all the above except the first two.
  • GBFGBF

Timothy Dalton was a placeholder for Pierce Brosnan. No, placeholder is not the right word.

The pretitle sequence to GolenEye is better then The Living Daylights and Licence to Kill combined. I slightly prefer the TLD PTS over the GE PTS but both are very good. I agree on that the LTK PTS is not that good.

Thunderball is Connery's worst film. No, that is definately DAF.

Quantum of Solace is underrated. No

Writing's On the Wall is a good song. Well, IMO it is not a good and memorable Bond song

The Aston Martin Vanish is one of the highlights of Die Another Day. The sword fight and the Q scene are probably the best of the film. But I agree there had been much worse scenes in that film compared to the invisable car

Jinx is the worst Bond girl ever. Fully agree on that!!!

• w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Gobi-1 wrote: »

I'll cut you some slack because this is the controversial opinions thread, but I don't see how that Jeep chase is worse than the GE PTS.

The PTS to TLD, is one of my favourites from the entire series. :)
    edited March 2016 Posts: 9,117

It's good but then so is TLD. Difficult to separate them.

My feelings on TB are well known but it's still not the embarrassment that DAF descends into.

Underrated by general public but it is getting better with age and has plenty of fans on here.

It's not the disgrace some have made it out to be but there are a number of Bond songs that should be picking up Oscars ahead of it.

The chase on the ice is OK I suppose and it's a beautiful car but the invisibility holes it below the waterline. Awful.

And the award for least controversial comment ever made goes to @Gobi-1. And ironically it appears in a thread about controversial comments.

• GBFGBF
    "Jinx is the worst Bond girl ever.

And the award for least controversial comment ever made goes to @Gobi-1. And ironically it appears in a thread about controversial comments."

Well, fair enough, some people think that Dr. Chrismas Jones, Stacey Sutton or Goodnight are even worse. So there is at least some controversy on that ..:-)
    GBF wrote: »

Well, fair enough, some people think that Dr. Chrismas Jones, Stacey Sutton or Goodnight are even worse. So there is at least some controversy on that ..:-)

Do they?

I've yet to encounter anyone who thinks anything other than Jinx is the most pustulent sore on the arse of the series.

There's a question actually: is Jinx not only the worst character in the series but the worst single thing in the series?

I certainly prefer the double take pigeon, the slide whistle and Blofeld as foster brother to Jinx.

The only viable candidate that can stop her is the parasurfing sequence.
  • RC7RC7

Do they?

I've yet to encounter anyone who thinks anything other than Jinx is the most pustulent sore on the arse of the series.

There's a question actually: is Jinx not only the worst character in the series but the worst single thing in the series?

I certainly prefer the double take pigeon, the slide whistle and Blofeld as foster brother to Jinx.

She's worse than that. You can fast forward that scene and carry on. Jinx is like a farting dog. Just as the smell starts to dissipate another potent gust fills the air.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Atleast Halle Berry is one sexy woman. Which I can't say about the actor playing Elvis.
    Goldfinger is underrated.

*ducks for cover*
    b-(
    RC7 wrote: »

Do they?

She's worse than that. You can fast forward that scene and carry on. Jinx is like a farting dog. Just as the smell starts to dissipate another potent gust fills the air.

True enough. The parasurfing is like a short sharp kick in the bollocks. Jinx is more like having cancer.

• Never Say Never Again is a great movie with a great and completely underrated cast.

Best Blofeld ever. Max von Sydow, one of the greats.
    Great M, Edward Fox, simply perfect.
    Great Q and Moneypenny.

Largo is so much better in NSNA than TB.

And Fatima Blush is the best villainess Bond girl ever.

If NSNA had a proper Bond song and title sequence, PTS with gun-barrel, it would rank quite high.

Agreed that it's underrated, but does lack of gun barrel (which lasts for 5 seconds) really change it's ranking?

Connery just had to waltz back in and he was already a must better 007 than Moore.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Controversial opinion: Halle does fine with her material. Tanya Roberts is the worst Bond girl.