Where would you rank SPECTRE? (no spoilers)

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited March 2016 Posts: 9,020
    royale65 wrote: »
    Really, that high?

Still for me it's around the eleven-ish spot, next to SF.

Based on one viewing, maybe. I think it'll go down as one of those Bond films that while I can acknowledge it's faults, overall, I enjoy it. I'm currently working through the films in random order. When i'm done, I will be turning my attention back to Spectre.

Spectre has faults??? :))

joking ;)

I'm surprised at myself that I rank it No 1. Before SP I would never have dreamed of having two Craig movies in my Top 10 let alone Top 5.

It was the perfect experience at the cinema, like GE and TLD before.
    I was walking on air for days in all three cases.
    I went 11 times to see it. Which is a record for me, that might only be broken once the first Justice League movie is realised :)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I don't see what there is to be surprised about, every Bond film is loved by someone. I remember on the old forum, there was a member whose favourite Bond film was Die Another Day.
    I'm looking forward to watching Spectre again. It is pretty much the film that I wanted from Craig all the way back in 2005.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Chanandler Bong
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Chanandler Bong

Die Another Day at #1, it could only be Chandler Bong. ;)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Chanandler Bong
    Why the reference?
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    That was the user name of the chap on the old boards.
    I like him already.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    A name like Bong, is nothing to be sniffed at. :D
  • GBFGBF
    I am still so surprised that Spectre is so loved by so many Bond fans. What is so good about that film? I can't see it. I mean the action is quiet good but we have had most of it - and in a better executed way - in other Bond or other action films. Are there any interesting characters? I don't find them. Does anyone really thinks the villain or the henchman are among the very best in their respective category. Who cares for the Bond girls? Sciarra could have become very intersting but she suddenly jsut disappeared, Swann was for 95% the damsel in distress. She is very good looking but does not really do anything and is one of the few Bond girls who need to be rescued several times in the film. I don't tink people will remember her that well in the future. In fact, most of the characters are really wasted. You could have done so much more out of them. The plot however is the biggest issue that I have with the film. Imo they just copied everything together from several othe Bond films and MI. It really feels as if they were running out of ideas. Was there really any creative plot point when you thought "this is really a creative idea". I was really missing any of these creative moments. Just think of the horrible escape scene from the crater. I really thought "Ok they have no idea how Bond is able to escape this place, so let's just make the terminator out of him" The same applies to the final scene and the whole step brother story arc. This would not even have worked in the more ironic Brosnan films that have taken themselves not to seriously. And Spectre despite its very silly and uncreative moments doesn't have this ironic style. It still feels very serious most of the time. Maybe it's just because Craig still plays the same emotionless character he played in all his Bond films. For me this just doesn't work.
  • RC7RC7
    GBF wrote: »
    Maybe it's just because Craig still plays the same emotionless character he played in all his Bond films.

Have you actually seen the films, or just heard about them through Chinese whispers? Frankly, I find your observation nonsensical. Craig has brought an emotional depth and variation in a way no one before him has.
  • GBF wrote: »
    I am still so surprised that Spectre is so loved by so many Bond fans. What is so good about that film? I can't see it. I mean the action is quiet good but we have had most of it - and in a better executed way - in other Bond or other action films. Are there any interesting characters? I don't find them. Does anyone really thinks the villain or the henchman are among the very best in their respective category. Who cares for the Bond girls? Sciarra could have become very intersting but she suddenly jsut disappeared, Swann was for 95% the damsel in distress. She is very good looking but does not really do anything and is one of the few Bond girls who need to be rescued several times in the film. I don't tink people will remember her that well in the future. In fact, most of the characters are really wasted. You could have done so much more out of them. The plot however is the biggest issue that I have with the film. Imo they just copied everything together from several othe Bond films and MI. It really feels as if they were running out of ideas. Was there really any creative plot point when you thought "this is really a creative idea". I was really missing any of these creative moments. Just think of the horrible escape scene from the crater. I really thought "Ok they have no idea how Bond is able to escape this place, so let's just make the terminator out of him" The same applies to the final scene and the whole step brother story arc. This would not even have worked in the more ironic Brosnan films that have taken themselves not to seriously. And Spectre despite its very silly and uncreative moments doesn't have this ironic style. It still feels very serious most of the time. Maybe it's just because Craig still plays the same emotionless character he played in all his Bond films. For me this just doesn't work.

I'm tough on the latter half of SP, but there's pretty good stuff all the way up through the Austria scenes. From Tangiers on it becomes a garden-variety Bond story, but there's some fun stuff beforehand, at least for me.
    Chanandler Bong

Wow. What a blast from the past. Good recall.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    What's good about Spectre? For me all of it. It's a fun entertaining thrill ride with the classic Bond formula returning with some new creepy twists thrown in. It's got great character moments and nice bits of humor. It took the impossible task of reintroducing Blofeld and taking back his former glory and holding his own against previous incarnations of the character. It's got a great fight scene that rivals FRWL's and GE's. Some nice locations and Bond doing some investigating. It also ties up the loose ends with QOS. It was the Bond movie I didn't know I wanted and loved every minute of it.
    Spectre was a long overdue movie Craig needed to make, it didnt suit him 100% but it worked for the most part.

Based on Wilsons comments on B25 & how their trying to come up with something new & a threat thats currently or will be ahead of our time, I believe the next one will be a tad darker.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote: »
    What's good about Spectre? For me all of it. It's a fun entertaining thrill ride with the classic Bond formula returning with some new creepy twists thrown in. It's got great character moments and nice bits of humor. It took the impossible task of reintroducing Blofeld and taking back his former glory and holding his own against previous incarnations of the character. It's got a great fight scene that rivals FRWL's and GE's. Some nice locations and Bond doing some investigating. It also ties up the loose ends with QOS. It was the Bond movie I didn't know I wanted and loved every minute of it.
    I knew I wanted it, and I love it almost as much as you do!
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I knew I wanted it, and I love it almost as much as you do!

Well I always want new Bond movies, but with the whole mentioning of "Brothers" in the leaks, that worried me a lot, so I didn't know if I was going to like it or not but luckily my worries were squashed and I loved the film considerably. :D

Well I always want new Bond movies, but with the whole mentioning of "Brothers" in the leaks, that worried me a lot, so I didn't know if I was going to like it or not but luckily my worries were squashed and I loved the film considerably. :D
    It was a gift.
    Not the kind you pretend to like & throw eternally in the closet either.
    One you keep looking at.....

It was a gift.
    Not the kind you pretend to like & throw eternally in the closet either.
    One you keep looking at.....

Oh you are so right about that. I can't stop watching it. I've watched it 4 times and watching random scenes from it more than that. In a way it sort of is like a second GoldenEye for me. :D
    In a way it sort of is like a second GoldenEye for me. :D
    Enjoy Murdock Heaven, my friend!
    =D>
  • GBFGBF

I'm tough on the latter half of SP, but there's pretty good stuff all the way up through the Austria scenes. From Tangiers on it becomes a garden-variety Bond story, but there's some fun stuff beforehand, at least for me.

I must admit that the first half really has some good sequences. I found the Spectre meeting quiet good and it is shot very well. I also liked the conversation between Bond and Mr. White.
    After watching Golden Eye yesterday I thought that the Spectre meeting is somehow similar to the Graveyard scene in Golden Eye. The villain talking to Bond and moving out of the shadows. I still prefer the sequence in Golden Eye. I think it is just more suspensefull and the personal relationship between the two antagonists is much more believable which make the sequence more intense.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    I hesitate to call Spectre an above average entry, given its myriad of flaws and piggyback attempts, but it's a decent enough attempt at a classic Bond where it does take itself seriously (but slides in some humour here and there). At the end of the day, it's still enjoyable and it's not a poor showing by any standards, but it could've been better.

I'm also in the camp that thinks that Spectre's first half was more enjoyable than the second half.

Emotionless? I believe he sheds a tear in Skyfall, is visibly distraught at Vesper's death, gets angry and moody in Quantum of Solace - he's probably the most emotional Bond yet, so much so people are even calling him 'emo Bond'. And so much so that people on here are complaining about it.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Yes @tanaka123 In my opinion. Daniel has had more emotional scenes than any other
    Bond. Luckily he has such range as an actor, that he can do it so well. He's also proven
    ( Again only my opinion) that he's also gifted as a light comedian, when required :)
    Yes @tanaka123 In my opinion. Daniel has had more emotional scenes than any other
    Bond. Luckily he has such range as an actor, that he can do it so well. He's also proven
    ( Again only my opinion) that he's also gifted as a light comedian, when required :)

@Thunder***** I agree with you on all fronts there.
  • GBFGBF

tanaka123 wrote: »

Emotionless? I believe he sheds a tear in Skyfall, is visibly distraught at Vesper's death, gets angry and moody in Quantum of Solace - he's probably the most emotional Bond yet, so much so people are even calling him 'emo Bond'. And so much so that people on here are complaining about it.

"emotionless" is certainly the wrong word. I am completely with you that Craig is an emotional Bond. The thing is: He is always in the same mood and that is what annoys me. Even when he smiles it seems forced to me. The expressions on his face do not vary that much. All other Bond actors had not been that emotional but showed more than one dimensions. There were times when they were happy and times when they were sad, charming or angry. They could be a cold blooded killer but also a gentle man. For me Craig never really got rid of the character who is first of all a cold blooded assassin who is permanently in a bad mood.

"emotionless" is certainly the wrong word. I am completely with you that Craig is an emotional Bond. The thing is: He is always in the same mood and that is what annoys me. Even when he smiles it seems forced to me. The expressions on his face do not vary that much. All other Bond actors had not been that emotional but showed more than one dimensions. There were times when they were happy and times when they were sad, charming or angry. They could be a cold blooded killer but also a gentle man. For me Craig never really got rid of the character who is first of all a cold blooded assassin who is permanently in a bad mood.

Sorry, but you are wrong.
    =D>

I said it long ago, Spectre is the new GoldenEye and it will be loved as much.

To have two such movies now in this franchise is a gift from Heaven, eternally grateful to anyone involved doing Spectre.
  • GBFGBF
    =D>

I said it long ago, Spectre is the new GoldenEye and it will be loved as much.

To have two such movies now in this franchise is a gift from Heaven, eternally grateful to anyone involved doing Spectre.

I hopnestly think that Golden Eye is better in every category except for the score which is bad in both films and the cinematography which is indeed great in both films.

Golden Eye has arguably the best ensemble of villains, a great climax, intersting alies and a unique post cold war story. The acton sequences are also unique and meorable. Even today people are talking about the Bungee jump or the tank chase.

• edited March 2016 Posts: 2,483

Dr. Swann called Bond "a good man," and that is a first in the Bond series. There have been times, particularly from GE on, where the films portray Bond as a profoundly flawed anti-hero. I was happy to see a character finally come out and praise Bond's fundamental goodness. This was overdue.

• The good man line was just really silly.
    Bond is an anti-hero, an assassin.