Where would you rank SPECTRE? (no spoilers)

Comments

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited March 2016 Posts: 4,116
    I can add all day but nevertheless the whole doesn't equal the sum of its parts. And yes some parts are quite good.

Even new math doesn't elevate SP beyond 24 for me.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    I can add all day but nevertheless the whole doesn't equal the sum of its parts. And yes some parts are quite good.

Same for me.

I don't hate it ...really want to like it. It's Bond after all.

I poorly managed (produced) and misdirected (directed) film.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Last 4 posts flagged for daftness.

;) :))
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Have you ever once tried to be funny without the smiley faces? It takes an actual wit.

With smiley it's funny, without it's rude. And some people are that touchy that it's better to indicate when it's supposed to be funny.
    Have you ever once tried to be funny without the smiley faces? It takes an actual wit.
    I'm funny to ME and that's all that really counts.
    =))

Same for me.

I don't hate it ...really want to like it. It's Bond after all.

I poorly managed (produced) and misdirected (directed) film.

Do I read this correctly @mcdonbb you rank Spectre No 24? which is the bottom of the list.
    Had a mini argument with a work colleague this morning who said he saw SP and hated it because there was too much talking and not enough action.

He thought the other Craig films were boring too for the same reason and wishes Bond films were more like the Brosnan films.

I felt like tearing my hair out
    ~X(
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Had a mini argument with a work colleague this morning who said he saw SP and hated it because there was too much talking and not enough action.

He thought the other Craig films were boring too for the same reason and wishes Bond films were more like the Brosnan films.

I felt like tearing my hair out
    ~X(

I hope you have some hair left.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I think Bond films should have less action than they currently do. They should also be shorter than they currently are, IMO.
    I agree completely. I've often said that many middle of the road Bond films would have been classic's of the were edited down to an hour and a half. Some, OHMSS, CR and SF, work as longer epics. Most don't.

I agree on OHMSS, CR could have done with some things omitted.
    SF is way too long, after the PTS up to Macau it should have been 15 minutes.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I don't get why the last act in London should not be just great.
    The whole setting in the destroyed MI6 headquarters is eerie, tense and visually bloody great.

PTS and title sequence
    10/10

everything to and including Rome
    10/10
    that's where SF failed miserably, everything after the PTS up to Macau is boring.

Austria
    10/10
    OHMSS and GE redux, bloody brilliant

L'Americain
    10/10
    The hotel, the mouse, Swann, the room, a classic already

The Train/train station
    10/10
    one of the best sequences of the franchise

Meeting Blofeld in the meteor room/villain's lair
    10/10
    at last we get a classic villain's lair that Ken Adam would be proud of.
    Waltz is spectacular and puts every other Blofeld to shame, especially parodic YOLT Blofeld.
    The destruction of the base is bloody fantastic.

London
    9.5/10
    The perfect contrast in every way to the desert setting. M shines in this sequence.
    The building is visually stunning and has a great atmosphere.
    Bond chasing the helicopter is great and the bridge scene is such a great setting to "end" Blofeld.
    The very last scene in the Aston Martin may just be the best ending ever in a Bond movie.

In short, the movie is bloody perfect, there have not been many of that kind in the franchise. Also performance wise.
    I can only think of GF, FRWL, OHMSS and TSWLM who seem to be iconic and classic from start to finish. From the "newer" ones I'd include GE.

'Bloody perfect'?

Adding up your scores it seems to be 0.5 of a mark away from being perfect.

Anyway this seems as good a way to rank the film as any as it allows you to give credit to the good parts while being able to pin the blame on where it all went wrong.

Act 1 - PTS to end of Rome: 8.5/10
    Pretty damn good throughout. Loses a few marks for Mendes' pretentiousness, the 'C' naming scene which I've still not seen a logical explanation for (except as the set up to the gag with M at the end) and the phoning MP in the middle of the somewhat disappointing car chase.

Act 2 - Austria to the station in the desert: 8.5/10
    Again extremely solid. Only real gripe is that the plane sequence as the big action set piece for the film really had to be a lot better. Would've liked a bit more banter walking through Tangier and on the train with Madeline to strengthen the relationship.

Act 3 - Crater to the end: 5/10
    Love most of Blofeld's lair stuff. Was overjoyed with finally seeing the torture from Colonel Sun on screen but after that it's a bit of a shambles. The brother angle is complete bullshit, the escape and destruction of the base extremely poor and the 'climax' in London is as dull as it is shoddily written. And then just to annoy you further they can't resist once again reaching for the goddam DB5 like a baby grabbing for its mother's tit.

Total: 22/30 - Solidly top half of the table but never really in the battle for the champions league places.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Act 1 - Gunbarrel to Mr. White - 8/10

I'd like to rank this segment higher but depsite a great PTS ( I still enjoy the previous PTS more, CR is my favourite). I hate that bloody song so marks lost there. The whole C thing is pretty rubbish, the character has all the subtlety of a sledgehammer. Bond's dialogue with Q is good but why oh why more DB5??
    The rome segment is great till we get the uneventful car chase, QOS one is so much better. Bond and White's meeting is great but a bit more meat on the bones and it could have been a real classic.

Act 2 - Clinic to Train Fight - 5/10

The clinic is fine, dialogue between Bond and Swann is enjoyable but no Bond & Vesper moment. The plane chase utter rubbish like something out of the Brosnan era, infact the wildly up and down tone of SPECTRE reminds me of Brozzers most jarring entry TWINE, that couldn' make up it's mind what it wanted to be, SP has this problem as well. L'America scene is fine enough. Train fight is good but no FRWL moment here depsite the build up that was generated round this scene, didn't quite have the WOW factor and Hinx's one and only line of dialogue is just plain dumb.

Act 3 - Moroccan Crater Base to End Credits - 2/10

This segment is without doubt one of the worse moments of the Craig era. Moroccan segment is plain dull and the torture chair sequence has some awful dialogue and the ease of Bond's escape robs Craig of his edge, in a desire to make him classic Bond and Moore like it's just lacks tension entirely. Though one scene with no suspense is enough they follow it with a scene which is even worse. That awful photo copies of previous adversaries just in case you haven't worked it out all ready and then climaxing with a generic action sequence that see's Bond so easily win the day. Also taking the DB5 and riding off with Swann was pretty lame.

At the moment it's hanging outside the top 10 for me but in the light of my disappointment and issues I can see it dropping more once I've done another reappraisal of the series which I'm inclined to do at some point. SPECTRE is undoubtably the weakest film of the Craig era and this one thing I wasn't expecting this time last year when I was getting hyped up for the film.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Act 1 - Gunbarrel to Mr. White - 9/10

Act 2 - Clinic to Train Fight - 9/10

Act 3 - Moroccan Crater Base to End Credits - 8/10
    The only thing I didn't care for was the exchange between M and C at the CNS building. Not terrible, but Purvis and Wade shine through in certain parts of the dialogue. Everything else, MI6, Thames chase, is top notch.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    SPECTRE is undoubtably the weakest film of the Craig era and this one thing I wasn't expecting this time last year when I was getting hyped up for the film.

That's what hurts the most. I had harbored hopes that this one was going to be the crowning achievement of the Craig Era.
    It IS.
    =))
  • What was Blofeld's plan again?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited March 2016 Posts: 10,588
    What was Blofeld's plan again?
    Causing a wave of terrorist attacks around the globe so that governments are inclined to join the Nine Eyes program, which in turn will allow SPECTRE to have access to the combined intelligence streams of the nine countries (through the use of a mole) in order to gain intellect from government agencies.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Shardlake wrote: »
    SPECTRE is undoubtably the weakest film of the Craig era and this one thing I wasn't expecting this time last year when I was getting hyped up for the film.

That's what hurts the most. I had harbored hopes that this one was going to be the crowning achievement of the Craig Era.

You are in the same boat now that I am with Skyfall.

Luckily we are a small minority with our views which the success of both movies prove.
    But if you don't like one or two or even three movies out of 24 in the same franchise then it's not that bad :)
  • RC7RC7
    jake24 wrote: »
    Causing a wave of terrorist attacks around the globe so that governments are inclined to join the Nine Eyes program, which in turn will allow SPECTRE to have access to the combined intelligence streams of the nine countries (through the use of a mole) in order to gain intellect from government agencies.

Which I feel is very obviously translated in the film. To not like it is fine. To not understand it is baffling.
    RC7 wrote: »

Which I feel is very obviously translated in the film. To not like it is fine. To not understand it is baffling.

Spectre's plot is indeed one of the most straight forward and easily understandable of the franchise. And believable as well.
    No stupid personal vendetta against M or grudge against MI6.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I'm funny to ME and that's all that really counts.
    =))

Awww you hid your smilie :o3
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    The thing is, SP in some ways is reminiscent of the 60's Bonds where we last saw SPECTRE, but that's mostly in the early scenes. It's nowhere close in the later scenes.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

If you hate a movie, your thoughts start straying perhaps?
  • RC7RC7

If you hate a movie, your thoughts start straying perhaps?

Very possible, although I think most under 10's could watch the film and adequately express the concept of 'Nine Eyes' post viewing.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Unless they talk through the entire movie. Maybe that is what happened here?
  • RC7RC7

That, or snapchatting pictures of themselves - 'In da Bond fillm Lolz! Wot iz even goin on m8?!!!'
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited March 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Thames chase, is top notch.

Dear oh dear. It seems you need to recalibrate the height of your notches because it's not even close to being bottom notch. The Thames chase is so poor it exists in some special subterranean notch near the earths core.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    I saw SP 3 times in theaters. I enjoyed the first viewing, it dragged a bit during the second, and the third was a chore. I haven't even watched it on Blu-ray yet, I just haven't had any interest. It's hard to rank it among the other 23 Bond films, but it certainly comes in last place amongst the other Craig films.

If I had to give Craig's films a letter grade, it would look something like this:
    CR: A+
    QOS: C+
    SF: B+
    SP: C-
    edited March 2016 Posts: 10,588

Dear oh dear. It seems you need to recalibrate the height of your notches because it's not even close to being bottom notch. The Thames chase is so poor it exists in some special subterranean notch near the earths core.
    Couldn't think of anything witty, so I respectfully disagree.

That, or snapchatting pictures of themselves - 'In da Bond fillm Lolz! Wot iz even goin on m8?!!!'

:))
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

Couldn't think of anything witty, so I respectfully disagree.
    How about 'Shurrup Wiz you big puff!'
    Honestly, witticisms are not that hard if you give it some thought.

:D

Spectre's plot is indeed one of the most straight forward and easily understandable of the franchise. And believable as well.
    No stupid personal vendetta against M or grudge against MI6.

Yep. And the plot has a true Fleming feel to it. I think Ian approves.