Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    And thanks for that tidbit. I know the Dumas stories since forever, but the only thing I can recall about those films is that I loved them and that when Superman the Movie was shaping up, I was happy to learn that Alexander and Ilya Salkind were producing it, when I learned those films were on their resume.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Recent talk of The Shadow got me in the mood for that other pulp hero who made an attempt on the big screen in the 1990's...

phantom1sh.jpg

Shoot me down, I enjoy this film every time that I watch it. It's rip-roaring, old fashioned, good fun. Am I alone in that? @SaintMark, you like pulp heroes such as The Shadow, what do you think of this film?
    Only saw clips on youtube, but that Phantom movie looked dreadful. There are rumours about a new Phantom movie in the works, focusing on the passing of the legacy.Here s hoping they can get a good actor this time. Billy Zane was all wrong.

The Phantom was a big deal for me growing up, the Lee Falk/Sy Barry stories being my favourite period.
  • I read that in the costume design stage, they were actually considering the wacky striped briefs, and made it as far as costume fittings with Zane before deciding they were too stupid.

PhantomSpot2.JPG

I'd love to see those pics, lol. I can just imagine Zane's face like "oh my god, what have I gotten into..... Well at least there are no nipples like Batman."
  • There are rumours about a new Phantom movie in the works, focusing on the passing of the legacy.
    I haven't seen it myself but this sounds like what you're talking about
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1438437/
    It's from 2010, and apparently there's a scene where he's shown the 1996 Billy Zane costume and he's like 'there's no way in hell I'm wearing that'
    :))

Ironically his actual costume manages to look even dumber!

23755448.png
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    It takes guts to put a hero in a purple costume, and that is without the addition of striped undies.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    It takes guts to put a hero in a purple costume, and that is without the addition of striped undies.

Actually, it requires a lack of a gut. ;)

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    talos7 wrote: »

Actually, it requires a lack of a gut. ;)

=D>
  • It takes guts to put a hero in a purple costume, and that is without the addition of striped undies.

I'm no Phantom expert by any means but wasn't his outfit meant to be gray-- and the only reason it was purple was an error in print?
    I quickly photoshopped this image:

7798778_orig_zpsptdzevfq.jpg7798778_orig2_zpsrgh1ai4a.jpg

It doesn't look bad at all! If not a little boring, I suppose. And not the best camouflage (admittedly better than purple though, lol)
    Good thing that didn t come to pass, then.
    I don't really know much about the source materiel of The Phantom. I have seen some mention of a blue variant of the costume.
    The original strips were all in black and white anyway. Most of the cover work had a blue costume, some purple.
    My brother just lent me his copy of John Frankenheimars 'Seconds'. Havent seen it in years. Brilliant film, with great cinematography from james Wong howe.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Concerning the color of The Phantom's costume, I found this

The Phantom wears a black mask and a purple skintight costume. Creator Lee Falk had originally envisioned a grey costume and even considered naming his creation "The Grey Ghost" before settling on "The Phantom". It was not until the Phantom Sunday strip debuted in 1939 that the costume was shown to be purple, something that apparently was a printing mistake and Lee Falk himself did not approve beforehand. Lee Falk wanted the costume to be gray, but the colorist while colouring the strip decided that Phantom would look better in purple. Although this was never corrected, Falk continued to refer to the costume as grey in the text of the strip on several occasions after this, but finally accepted the purple costume. In a retcon it was shown that the first Phantom chose the costume based on the appearance of a jungle idol, and colored the cloth with purple jungle berries.

Publishers that printed color comics with the Phantom before 1939 chose costume color based on their own preference, and even later various publishers throughout the world picked different costume colors; e.g. – blue in Scandinavia (this was because the purple colour wasn't possible to print initially), red in Italy, Turkey and (formerly) Brazil, and brown in New Zealand. In one of the European nations the Phantom was never printed in a purple costume since it was the colour used for mourning.
    Interesting. The Phantom was created in 1936, for those who wonder. First mainstream "superhero" comic, two years before Superman and three years before Batman.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Birdleson wrote: »
    The main difference he appeared in the comic strips, while Batman and Superman first appeared in comic books.

Very good point, @Birdleson. Despite being a big fan of Batman, I fail to make that distinction.

Recent talk of The Shadow got me in the mood for that other pulp hero who made an attempt on the big screen in the 1990's...

phantom1sh.jpg

Shoot me down, I enjoy this film every time that I watch it. It's rip-roaring, old fashioned, good fun. Am I alone in that? @SaintMark, you like pulp heroes such as The Shadow, what do you think of this film?

I really enjoy this movie as well it speaks thirties action and while the Phantom is not quite my taste this rather more truthful, to the source material anyhow, rendition is miles ahead of the later made mini-tv-series with an update of the Phantom.
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    My brother just lent me his copy of John Frankenheimars 'Seconds'. Havent seen it in years. Brilliant film, with great cinematography from james Wong howe.
    I thought I was the only one who'd ever seen it. It gave me nightmares.
    Between Seconds, and The Swimmer I felt like I knew was an acid trip was as a kid... :-O
  • quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    Enjoyed an eclectic double-bill last night using my HD projector...

Started with 'Gravity' (2013) which I watched in 3D. I also saw it in 3D at the cinema but found myself enjoying it more this second time. I think it worked better at home with just me (and my cat!) watching it because in spite of the space-bound spectacle it's actually a pretty intimate film. The 3D worked wonderfully (and I'll even admit to flinching a couple of times as debris shot out of the screen) and the 5.1 was exceptionally good.

I followed this with an old favourite and bona fide classic: 'Dracula' (1931). I've loved this film for so many years and watched it over and over again, yet seeing it on the (relatively) big screen for the very first time was an amazing experience.
    SaintMark wrote: »

phantom1sh.jpg

I really enjoy this movie as well it speaks thirties action and while the Phantom is not quite my taste this rather more truthful, to the source material anyhow, rendition is miles ahead of the later made mini-tv-series with an update of the Phantom.

It's not quite in my top 10 comic book films, but it's still a film that I can put on, and just go with the flow.
  • In retrospect the 90's were a great time for bringing classic characters back to the big screen- my favorites being Dick Tracy, The Shadow, The Phantom, and Mask of Zorro
    edited February 2016 Posts: 13,894
    Ah, Dick Tracy, I always forget about that one, when talking about comic book films. When I think back on it, what stands out most, is that it was a very colourful film. It looked like a comic book in motion.
    @quantumofsolace, what did your cat think?

I've wondered if I'd have enjoyed Gravity more in 3D. I'll never know. I appreciated it as a great technical achievement, even the sound stuff and all, but on the whole for me it was kinda meh. (And, well, Sandra Bullock always has been meh for me in anything.)

Youth
    This felt just a tad too long for me, but I did like it. The cast was very good - Michael Caine, Harvey Keitel, Rachel Weisz, Paul Dano... Lots of beautiful shots of people, places and scenery. And cows. An interesting, artistic look at people and life. Still thinking about it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Tuulia, if you enjoyed 'Youth,' you should check out the director's Oscar winner from a few years ago, 'The Great Beauty.' One of my favorite films of the last ten years, and it's so stunning to look at.
    I always loved Frankenheimars 'The Train'. He took over from sacked Director Arthur Penn. A great war movie with tremendous action sequences. All the talk last year about George Miller showing the new kids how to shoot action with mad max Fury Road. am reminded of Frankenheimars 'Ronin' which showed them how to shoot a car chase without using CGI.
    I also think he shot one cinemas more decent sequels with French Connection 2.
    @Creasy, I've been meaning to watch it since it came out... Missed it in theatre unfortunately, and it's still on my list... - Have you seen Youth?
    @Tuulia, take your statement you just made and apply it to me for 'Youth': wanted to catch it in theaters but missed my chance, sadly, been anticipating it ever since I first saw the trailer.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 12,269
    Sherlock Holmes (2009). This film is actually a personal favorite of mine. I got to see it in the theater in 2010, a month or so after it released. It's extremely entertaining and fun; the chemistry between Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law is simply priceless.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Sherlock Holmes (2009). This film is actually a personal favorite of mine. I got to see it in the theater in 2010, a month or so after it released. It's extremely entertaining and fun; the chemistry between Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law is simply priceless.

The chemistry alone is why I'm dying for a third one.