The Last Movie You Bought?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I have to travel some distance to get hold of movies in the physical format now. Everyone is streaming, those bastards! So the last shop in my town is now closed.

Some food chains will sell the biggest blockbusters and some kid stuff, but that is it. Others who have this problem?
    I just buy from a vid store (after they do their rental duties), or craigslist or amazon or even ebay. I can't get into the streaming thing personally. Old school - I like to hold the product.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I just got two Superbit (remember THOSE?) DVD's- Mask Of Zorro & Desperado.
    For you little kids here, Superbit was a Sony experiment where the entire disc space was used for the movie to get the highest bit rate possible for the film, and all the previews & bonus material was put on a 2nd disc. Basically, they look almost like Blu Ray. But then.... Blu Ray came out. 8-|
    I also have Spider-man in that format.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 5,837
    Bought quite a few Miyazaki movies this week : Totoro, Kiki, Porco Rosso, Howl's, Ponyo, The Wind Rises. So, I only miss Castle of Cagliostro, Chihiro and Princess Mononoke.

I also ordered The Abominable Bride" from Amazon. It's on its way, should receive it sometime this week. I also found the live DVD of the french musical "Notre-Dame de Paris" on the cheap (7 €), which allows me to replace my VHS of said show.

Now, where will I find the time to watch all that, I wonder.
    Longmire season 1 - dvd
    Joe Kidd -BD
    2 mules for sister Sarah -BD
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Got a ridiculously cheap deal on the CR blu-ray steelbook (had to double dip and buy it) and finally got around to purchasing 'Forrest Gump' on blu-ray after all this time. One of my favorites.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited January 2016 Posts: 45,489
    IRON MAN 2 on dvd. My former copy got borrowed years ago.

SIN CITY-A DAME TO KILL FOR on bluray. Finally! Been looking for this brilliant movie ever since it was released on home video.
    Just bought Empire Strikes Back Blu Ray Steelbook. The circle is now complete.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 40,562
    Had to do a little shopping for myself, picked up:

- 'Mission: Impossible' and 'Mission: Impossible 3' blu-rays, so that I can finally do a proper M:I marathon.
    - 'Platoon' on blu-ray.
    - 'The Warriors' on blu-ray (rewatched this recently and forgot how entertaining it was.)
    - 'Sicario' on blu-ray (can't pass up on a deal).

Also debating really spoiling myself and finally buying 'The Complete Lady Snowblood' Criterion blu-ray.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    'Band of Brothers' + 'The Pacific' complete boxset.
  • augie7107augie7107 Boston
    Spectre - digital download
    'Band of Brothers' + 'The Pacific' complete boxset.

That'll be a wonderful way to spend a few days. I like to watch 'Band of Brothers' around Thanksgiving/Christmas every other year or so; once it's in, I get so enveloped by it, and before I know it, I'm finished with it.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    - 'The Warriors' on blu-ray (rewatched this recently and forgot how entertaining it was.)
    I'd love a Blu Ray of that movie, but the only one available is the 'Director's Cut' which has the annoying comic book panels throughout. I guess I have to stick with my theatrical DVD (which does look very nice)...
  • RC7RC7
    Gerard wrote: »
    Bought quite a few Miyazaki movies this week : Totoro, Kiki, Porco Rosso, Howl's, Ponyo, The Wind Rises. So, I only miss Castle of Cagliostro, Chihiro and Princess Mononoke.

I also ordered The Abominable Bride" from Amazon. It's on its way, should receive it sometime this week. I also found the live DVD of the french musical "Notre-Dame de Paris" on the cheap (7 €), which allows me to replace my VHS of said show.

Now, where will I find the time to watch all that, I wonder.

Do you already own Laputa?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @Creasy47 I agree, 'Band of Brothers' is a masterpiece. I also quite like 'Pacific' too.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I'd love a Blu Ray of that movie, but the only one available is the 'Director's Cut' which has the annoying comic book panels throughout. I guess I have to stick with my theatrical DVD (which does look very nice)...

So they're fused into the film and there's no way to remove them? I've never seen them but they don't look terribly well done (in the screenshots I just saw of them), so I'll swiftly cancel my order of this if there's no way to get rid of them.

So they're fused into the film and there's no way to remove them? I've never seen them but they don't look terribly well done (in the screenshots I just saw of them), so I'll swiftly cancel my order of this if there's no way to get rid of them.
    No, they're permanently added.
    8-|
    Sounds like they got their comic book stuck in my late-70's cult favorite. What a shame, looks like I'll have to pass on this. I wonder if some version exists on blu-ray (somewhere worldwide, perhaps) that doesn't have those included.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 17,696
    Sounds like they got their comic book stuck in my late-70's cult favorite. What a shame, looks like I'll have to pass on this. I wonder if some version exists on blu-ray (somewhere worldwide, perhaps) that doesn't have those included.
    Looks to me like 'the ultimate director's cut' is the only version on Blu Ray ever anywhere. The DVD of the theatrical is still available though...
    **** Update- this site says you can watch the original version in HD...
    http://www.destroythebrain.com/geek-out/under-the-knife/can-watch-theatrical-cut-warriors-hd-now
    ******** Newer update: Yep. I have it on Netflix.
    *************Even newer update: The detail is very impressive on the HD Netflix presentation, so I immediately compared it to my DVD and while the Netflix detail is slightly better, the colours & blacks are SO much better on the DVD that I'll stick with that (though if you played with the colour, brightness & contrast controls on your TV you might be able to make it perfect...)
    Lucky me: the very rare Spanish BD edition of Mishima: A Life In Four Chapters, made from The Criterion Collection masters.

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England

The blu-ray is very good, and I actually like the Director's Cut, and this is the way Walter Hill original envisioned the film. I was reluctant at first when I heard about it but after viewing it I was sold. Plus some great extras and the man himself talking about why he went back to The Warriors to do a DC, not something he likes to do.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 5,837
    Plus, there's the fact that the comic book appears in the original novel. IIRC, it's an adaptation of the Anabasis, by Xenophon, which was the inspiration for the novel and the movie.

As for me, still completing my collection of the works of MiYazaki, with "Princess Mononoke" and "Spirited Away"
    Psycho (1960) from Walmart. And Vertigo (1958) is supposed to come in the mail tomorrow. On a side note, it seems like a lot of the films I want I have to order online; has anyone else had that issue?
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Psycho (1960) from Walmart. And Vertigo (1958) is supposed to come in the mail tomorrow. On a side note, it seems like a lot of the films I want I have to order online; has anyone else had that issue?

Most of the stores in town near me tend to sell mostly newer/more popular titles, and anything else that's remotely unique is always overpriced. That's why I almost exclusively do my movie purchasing online.
    BD
    The Shadow
    Le CHiave [Tinto Brass]

Yes I do buy most of my blurays online and the majority 2nd hand, simply because they are more affordable.
    One of the best places for cheap movies online is GoHastings. The shipping system is weird, what's in or out of stock is totally at random, and sometimes you have errors with what you receive (sparingly, but it does happen and the Customer Service is competent enough to get it all sorted out if it does happen), but they tend to have a lot of great BOGO or X% off sales, which is nice.
    One of the best places for cheap movies online is GoHastings. The shipping system is weird, what's in or out of stock is totally at random, and sometimes you have errors with what you receive (sparingly, but it does happen and the Customer Service is competent enough to get it all sorted out if it does happen), but they tend to have a lot of great BOGO or X% off sales, which is nice.

I usually use Amazon and Ebay. I've rarely had problems there, but I specifically buy from trusted sellers.
    I recently bought the 5 film Mission: Impossible Blu Ray set. I had 1, 2 and GP on DVD. Realising that it would only cost a few more quid to get this rather than getting M:I 3 and RN separately on Blu I plumped for the whole set. Really enjoying them through my new projector.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    SaintMark wrote: »
    BD
    The Shadow

Would that be the combo/Collector's Edition?
    I've just found Ant-Man in a Cash Converters and got it
    I is Ant Man!