No Time to Die on Blu-ray

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Well it's not a well reviewed film either. Certainly not on the SF/CR level, but rather, more on the mediocre level of QoS. That is a separate discussion from whether it has any impact whatsoever on the quality of the release features. I suspect not
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    I got it, and wow I really didnt appreciate hoyte's work in this film in the theatre as much as I do now
    That is what I was hoping for so I'm glad to hear this. I expect that it will look better on the small screen, just like QoS did, but for different reasons. Looking forward to it.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I love that moment when all the Spectre lacky's stand up and look like shadows as Blofeld shines at center stage. That whole scene is great.
  • RC7RC7
    Murdock wrote: »
    I love that moment when all the Spectre lacky's stand up and look like shadows as Blofeld shines at center stage. That whole scene is great.

Awesome. Every scene he's in is great IMO.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

One of the best things about the film and that I really respect is how Mendes and co. made it seem like they were all drones who answered to Blofeld's every beck and call. It really underscored the power and strength of SPECTRE to control everything in sight. It's so ominous and uneasy feeling when you see them all pop up on command to challenge Bond. Amazing stuff.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    RC7 wrote: »

Awesome. Every scene he's in is great IMO.

Agreed. I loved his performance.

One of the best things about the film and that I really respect is how Mendes and co. made it seem like they were all drones who answered to Blofeld's every beck and call. It really underscored the power and strength of SPECTRE to control everything in sight. It's so ominous and uneasy feeling when you see them all pop up on command to challenge Bond. Amazing stuff.
    Oh yes, the atmosphere of the movie was just perfect. The meeting in Rome and the Crater Base scenes were some of the most haunting scene's I've seen in a Bond movie ever. It was the visual equivalent to Barry's Capsule in Space theme from YOLT.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Might be stupid question, but does anyone know when it will be released in Sweden?

It'll be released thirteen days after the U.S. release, on February 22nd.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Spectre-Blu-ray/140152/

On the plus side, you live in Sweden!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Time has been very, very good to this movie.
  • The film is now available for digital download in the US

I found this great 1080p videos on Youtube

If anyone could screencap the film that would be amazing, or at least the Blofeld scenes. Thanks!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited January 2016 Posts: 9,117
    The film is now available for digital download in the US

If anyone could screencap the film that would be amazing, or at least the Blofeld scenes. Thanks!

Oooopps!!

Better put the house in your wife's name quicksmart old son. EON's lawyers are going to tear your arse to shreds for posting those - and not in a good way.

PS: Mods - Am I also culpable for quoting his post without changing the vids to links? I am not in any way endorsing his post. Quite the contrary I am actually highlighting his flagrant breach of EON's copyright. Some clarification please as I've got house insurance, car insurance, a speeding ticket and a skiing holiday to pay off this month so really could do without being sued into the bargain.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited January 2016 Posts: 10,588
    I got it, and wow I really didnt appreciate hoyte's work in this film in the theatre as much as I do now

It's a really distinctive looking Bond film. The photography is pure class IMO.

Agreed. The Rome scenes in particular stood out for me this time around. There's a certain graininess factor Van Hotyema's uses that gives it a vintage, 60s era look to it.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    jake24 wrote: »

Agreed. The Rome scenes in particular stood out for me this time around. There's a certain graininess factor Van Hotyema's uses that gives it a vintage, 60s era look to it.

+2. I actually found Van Hoytema's work to be better than Deakins, but I thought I was in the minority there. Spectre was stunning looking.

The Kartenhoff scene. Masterpiece. Reminiscent of the villain's entrance of "DOCTOR NO", "DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER" and "SKYFALL". Another beautiful parable told by the villain. One that makes perfect sense. I reckon these lines were written by John Logan.

I also like 'dear Madline', as she portrays an almost Honey Rider-like innocence and fear. You see how frightened she is when she utters the line "I don't remember that".

Having seen this scene, Dominic Greene for me still is the least interesting Bond villain from the Craig-era. And again, these are scenes that you won't find in other spy or action films. It oozes 'Bond'!
    I mentioned earlier on this thread that I saw ads for SP in my hotel when I was in NYC just after New Year (they were already showing it on 'order'). The ads looked very sharp on my small hotel screen and got me anticipated to see it again. The screencaps from the vids above also look much sharper than what I recall from the theatre.

I think the perspective of a smaller home screen should help viewers to better appreciate Hoyte's framing of each shot, which he did magnificently. I felt the same about QoS, but in that film it was more because I could better see what was happening in a more confined tv screen.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    These clips just invigorates my distaste in Mendes visual choices for Spectre. There is absolutely no panache in how colours are displayed in the film. Where Deakins work in Skyfall were subtle and tasteful, with a vibrant scale of different colours that supplemented the inherent themes in the film, Spectre's colouring are just very clumsy.
    I do not blame Hoyte, because the framing and depth are all fine and on par with his earlier work but there was something that really went wrong on the planning stage. Of all the strengths that Spectre has, the colouring are absolutely not one of those and it will distract me for an unforeseeable future in my enjoyment in the film.
    I certainly agree on the choice of colours @MrBond. Very pedestrian and unworthy of a Bond film imho. However, it was a creative choice for whatever reason. This couldn't have been accidental.

Hopefully, Hoyte's visual flair can make up for that on the small screen.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I certainly agree on the choice of colours @MrBond. Very pedestrian and unworthy of a Bond film imho. However, it was a creative choice for whatever reason. This couldn't have been accidental.

And with creative choices, it's always a matter of personal taste. Moreover, I think this....rather technical element of filming certainly has escaped the attention of ordinary cinema go-ers. They didn't like / did like the film for other reasons.

I personally liked the color filtering a lot. Especially in the light of the syndicate SPECTRE. It gives the film a rather sinister feeling, reminiscent of "Road to Perdition".

And with creative choices, it's always a matter of personal taste. Moreover, I think this....rather technical element of filming certainly has escaped the attention of ordinary cinema go-ers. They didn't like / did like the film for other reasons.

I personally liked the color filtering a lot. Especially in the light of the syndicate SPECTRE. It gives the film a rather sinister feeling, reminiscent of "Road to Perdition".
    There are many (including those I know personally) who were put off by the yellow in particular, so I think it has had an impact on people's perception. I'd venture to say that if the colours were more CR/QoS like (vibrant being the key word rather than monotone) it may have made up for some of the other noted flaws in the film. Visuals are a key element of one's subconscious perceptions.

Hoyte did a bang up job of framing the shots and he deserves credit for that at least.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. You can even see it in the vlogs (especially in Mexico) where they appear much more natural & vibrant because they didn't grade the vlog.

http://www.007.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Bond-Spectre-Gallery-Mexico.jpg
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    One of my gripes with this movie was definitely the yellow tints that invade everything. Seeing it regraded to show the natural colors makes me sad that that wasn't what we got in the first place. It gives a completely new life to the entire movie, and makes it feel closer to SF's coloring style that was vibrant and glorious to the eye.
    ggl007 wrote: »

Those photos of regrading make all the shots to have too cool a colour temperature.

As did I. Regarding the Spectre Rome meeting especially - that scene and previous Bond scenes like it have been remixed and parodied so much by the likes of Austin Powers and such that it was absolutely pivotal that it was conveyed with the appropriate sense of menace and darkness, and Van Hoytema and co. absolutely nailed it.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

The Kartenhoff scene. Masterpiece. Reminiscent of the villain's entrance of "DOCTOR NO", "DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER" and "SKYFALL". Another beautiful parable told by the villain. One that makes perfect sense. I reckon these lines were written by John Logan.

I also like 'dear Madline', as she portrays an almost Honey Rider-like innocence and fear. You see how frightened she is when she utters the line "I don't remember that".

Having seen this scene, Dominic Greene for me still is the least interesting Bond villain from the Craig-era. And again, these are scenes that you won't find in other spy or action films. It oozes 'Bond'!

I love this scene as well. Not sure why some didn't.
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Because some people are so blinded by technicalities, that they watch past the beauty of some memorable Bond scenes ;-).

Because some people are so blinded by technicalities, that they watch past the beauty of some memorable Bond scenes ;-).

Whereas some people are just blind, evidently.

Why are we discussing QoS in an SP thread? :-\"
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

+2. I actually found Van Hoytema's work to be better than Deakins, but I thought I was in the minority there. Spectre was stunning looking.

You still are and greatly so. Hoytema's work is fantastic but Deakins' photography is superior.
    doubleoego wrote: »

You still are and greatly so. Hoytema's work is fantastic but Deakins' photography is superior.

Fine by me. I loved them both, either way.
    I feel like Hoytema was underused (like Waltz).

That Waltz-Craig head to head shot at the end with the glass was AMAZING. The SPECTRE meeting was also great.

I hope he gets another chance and does even better job in B25.
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada

I love what Deakins did for SF. I think it's a great looking film, but If I'm being completely honest with myself, I prefer the look of SP just a bit more. It has a smokey look to it, very old school.