No Time to Die on Blu-ray

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Unfortunately not @jake24, the extras on the DVD are just the Videoblogs. :(
    Just another way for the film companies to steal our money I'm afraid.
  • jake24 wrote: »

Who is stealing what from you, exactly?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited January 2016 Posts: 10,588
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »

The additional features on the Blu-ray absent from the less expensive DVD is another way to grab money from our pockets, (EON and Fox Home Entertainment in particular).
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 1,631

Agreed. It would be stealing if the Spectre discs were blank. Pretty sure that won't happen.

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Feb 9? That is just around the corner! Woohoo!

As for Blu-Ray. I never bought into that technology. Yes, the picture is nice, but I honestly don't get the fuss. I like DVD clarity, with HDMI, just fine. Plus, as I told all my friends who were running out to get Blu-Ray discs and players: the age of discs altogether is coming to an end. Indeed, digital downloads and cloud streaming are the new thing and here to stay.
    dalton wrote: »

Agreed. It would be stealing if the Spectre discs were blank. Pretty sure that won't happen.
    You're clearly not understand what I'm saying. Not including that additional feature on the DVD is just a way to entice people to purchase the Blu-ray instead. The Blu-rays are more expensive than DVDs, which in turn will increase profiting for EON and 20th Century Fox (who I believe handles the 007 home media releases).
    I understand what you're saying. They're still not stealing anything from anyone.

They're pushing Blu-ray and digital as the formats of the present and future, much in the same way that DVDs were given preferential treatment over VHS when they first arrived on the market. Whatever comes along to replace Blu-ray and the current method of delivering digital copies of films will then be given preferential treatment over the current formats.
    I understand what you're saying. They're still not stealing anything from anyone.

They're pushing Blu-ray and digital as the formats of the present and future, much in the same way that DVDs were given preferential treatment over VHS when they first arrived on the market. Whatever comes along to replace Blu-ray and the current method of delivering digital copies of films will then be given preferential treatment over the current formats.
    I used the word "stealing" as an exaggeration to prove my point. I thought that was pretty clear. When it comes down to it, there's no reason for including the PTS feature on the Blu-ray while having it absent on the DVD. Regardless, I'm sure people won't mind the minute difference in what I would consider is a colossal embarrassment on EON'S part. It's been a while since they've gone above and beyond in this department.
    Delete.
    TripAces wrote: »
    Feb 9? That is just around the corner! Woohoo!

As for Blu-Ray. I never bought into that technology. Yes, the picture is nice, but I honestly don't get the fuss. I like DVD clarity, with HDMI, just fine. Plus, as I told all my friends who were running out to get Blu-Ray discs and players: the age of discs altogether is coming to an end. Indeed, digital downloads and cloud streaming are the new thing and here to stay.

Blu-ray has more of a film-like feel to it. It's at 24fps, the same as film, and it has so much more detail than DVD. You can see all the film grain - which filmmakers use for various effects, just check out the PTS of CR, which gives it more of a theatrical flair. And it has lossless audio.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I understand what you're saying @jake24 a special edition will be released
    and we'll all buy it. Sadly we've been spoilt in the past, so now feel short changed.
    At least I do anyway. :(
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Just like with the extras, or supposed lack of them, I don't care about the menus on the disc. The only criteria I have for judging the success or failure of Spectre's release on Blu-ray/DVD is whether or not the disc plays the movie when I put it in the machine.

Well good for you. But have some sympathy for the rest of us who are not as content with the most basic release possible and have such low expectations that we are merely happy if the disc actually plays!

You're sure about that are you? 8 years on and no sign of any upgrade on that shoddy QOS release and SF the highest grossing film ever in the UK (until the TFA rocked up) so you'd think a licence to print money but still only one fairly basic release.

The laziness of EON (or the studio - don't know how much of it is in EON's control) when it comes to the DVD/bluray release has been endemic for years. It's only a few years ago we were actually able to buy all the Bonds on bluray and that 50th box set was embarrassing frankly. Just all the discs previously released in a box and an utter piss take of an extras disc.

The CR special collectors edition is the last time EON delivered on a DVD release and that's getting on for 10 years ago.

Anyone remember the lavish VHS box sets for OHMSS, GE and TND from the 90s with booklets, photos etc. That seems, if you'll excuse the pun, eons ago now.

I'm not sure if details of the TFA bluray have been released yet but guaranteed it will blow SP out of the water when it comes to extras because the marketing people who have the rights to Star Wars understand that the best way to get fans to double dip again and again is to deliver them desirable and quality products.

Take Corgi. Years ago I used to buy everything they released but now I can't even be arsed to buy the DB10. If they can't be bothered to deliver a quality model with any gadgets then I can't be bothered to buy it. Seems like EON know we'll just buy the SP bluray whatever so they are quite happy just to serve up the film and that's your lot. Thanks for the money you mugs.

Still that approach means they at least have one satisfied customer in @dalton!
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 4,325
    Just like with the extras, or supposed lack of them, I don't care about the menus on the disc. The only criteria I have for judging the success or failure of Spectre's release on Blu-ray/DVD is whether or not the disc plays the movie when I put it in the machine.

Well good for you. But have some sympathy for the rest of us who are not as content with the most basic release possible and have such low expectations that we are merely happy if the disc actually plays!

You're sure about that are you? 8 years on and no sign of any upgrade on that shoddy QOS release and SF the highest grossing film ever in the UK (until the TFA rocked up) so you'd think a licence to print money but still only one fairly basic release.

The laziness of EON (or the studio - don't know how much of it is in EON's control) when it comes to the DVD/bluray release has been endemic for years. It's only a few years ago we were actually able to buy all the Bonds on bluray and that 50th box set was embarrassing frankly. Just all the discs previously released in a box and an utter piss take of an extras disc.

The CR special collectors edition is the last time EON delivered on a DVD release and that's getting on for 10 years ago.

Anyone remember the lavish VHS box sets for OHMSS, GE and TND from the 90s with booklets, photos etc. That seems, if you'll excuse the pun, eons ago now.

I'm not sure if details of the TFA bluray have been released yet but guaranteed it will blow SP out of the water when it comes to extras because the marketing people who have the rights to Star Wars understand that the best way to get fans to double dip again and again is to deliver them desirable and quality products.

Take Corgi. Years ago I used to buy everything they released but now I can't even be arsed to buy the DB10. If they can't be bothered to deliver a quality model with any gadgets then I can't be bothered to buy it. Seems like EON know we'll just buy the SP bluray whatever so they are quite happy just to serve up the film and that's your lot. Thanks for the money you mugs.

Still that approach means they at least have one satisfied customer in @dalton!

It does include the film right? To be honest I've got so many audio commentaries and extras in other blu-rays that I'm quite happy for there to be not many extras - I got the Bond 50 blurays 3 years ago and I still haven't got thru all the extras yet.
  • I agree with a lot of people here. This BD edition is going to be a shame, probably the worst of the franchise. If some people don´t care, I do.
    BTW, the fist UHD-BD will be sold this year, I hope SP, SF and other Bond movies will be available on this new format with new extras.
    I agree with a lot of people here. This BD edition is going to be a shame, probably the worst of the franchise. If some people don´t care, I do.
    BTW, the fist UHD-BD will be sold this year, I hope SP, SF and other Bond movies will be available on this new format with new extras.

What kind of extra's do we actually expect in an era of youtube videoblogs and separate Bond documentaries........extensive ones?
  • RC7RC7
    I agree with a lot of people here. This BD edition is going to be a shame, probably the worst of the franchise. If some people don´t care, I do.

What kind of extra's do we actually expect in an era of youtube videoblogs and separate Bond documentaries........extensive ones?

This is more the point. As much as I'd like a feature length doc, it's never going to happen with EON. It's of no interest to them, so the limited features is not a surprise to me. I never expect anything other than the movie.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Gustav_Graves, a commentary would be nice, which is pretty common for lots of releases out there. Not sure how they managed to get this one released without at least having a commentary.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    They could have at least got Sir Roger in to do a commentary
    on the film with his views. :D
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    They could have at least got Sir Roger in to do a commentary
    on the film with his views. :D

That version of the Blu Ray could cost 4 times more, and I'd still buy it!
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Gustav_Graves, a commentary would be nice, which is pretty common for lots of releases out there. Not sure how they managed to get this one released without at least having a commentary.

I have asked it some many times, but please give me a source or something else that states that this Bond film won't have commentary tracks.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

I have asked it some many times, but please give me a source or something else that states that this Bond film won't have commentary tracks.

If there was one, wouldn't one of the numerous sites displaying the 'Special Features' specs have mentioned it? It's a good bet that there isn't one.

And I've answered you many times; why you fail to read my replies is beyond me. I posted the blu-ray link, and it's pretty much stated on all of the retailer websites, go and have a look: anywhere the special features are listed, a commentary of any sort is totally omitted.

And I've answered you many times; why you fail to read my replies is beyond me. I posted the blu-ray link, and it's pretty much stated on all of the retailer websites, go and have a look: anywhere the special features are listed, a commentary of any sort is totally omitted.

Ah sorry...I must have skipped your post then...:(
    Even still, there's no excuse for not having a commentary of any kind. That's why this is a barebones release, omitting a rather common special feature and adding only video blogs that have been online for months? Doesn't make sense.
    Even still, there's no excuse for not having a commentary of any kind. That's why this is a barebones release, omitting a rather common special feature and adding only video blogs that have been online for months? Doesn't make sense.
    Agreed. This is a bigger disappointment than the "bonus" disk on the Bond 50 box set. In terms of home media, it's apparent that money is the only thing EON cares about, and if they could inject a bit of quality in there, that'd be icing on the cake.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I used to have a DVD box set years back which I sold when I made the switch to Blu. It had a lot of extras on it but I can't remember what it was called - Ultimate Collectors, Ultimate DVD or something like that.
    I always love a commentary watch to really get into their thoughts on all the scenes, lines, moments, goofs they've picked up on after the fact, etc. It's a real shame it wasn't added.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I used to have a DVD box set years back which I sold when I made the switch to Blu. It had a lot of extras on it but I can't remember what it was called - Ultimate Collectors, Ultimate DVD or something like that.
    There's one from '02 called Special Edition, and one from '06 called Ultimate Edition. The former is worth buying for the menu designs alone, and the latter worth buying due to the huge library of special features.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »
    There's one from '02 called Special Edition, and one from '06 called Ultimate Edition. The former is worth buying for the menu designs alone, and the latter worth buying due to the huge library of special features.
    Thanks. I think it's the Ultimate Edition one because it was after the Lowry restoration work was done. It had a tonne of extras on a separate disc and commentary by Moore on his films. I remember being ticked off because they weren't released in order. When I got the blu's, I was disappointed that it didn't have as many extras.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España

Tons of deleted scenes and a really good and deep making of. That is what I miss mostly...
    :-S