Deadly attacks in Paris / Brussels / Nice (07/14/2016)

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    RC7 wrote: »
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I learned how to use my brain to not give a toss what someone says and let it affect me to that extent when I was about 7.
    In Junior High the big insult (and fight starter) was "Hey- I f****d your mom last night." My response was always a grin and "No you didn't."
    :))

Mine was always, 'Yeah? She's good isn't she?'.
    LOL, oh, you bad.
    B-)
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I learned how to use my brain to not give a toss what someone says and let it affect me to that extent when I was about 7.
    In Junior High the big insult (and fight starter) was "Hey- I f****d your mom last night." My response was always a grin and "No you didn't."
    :))

Mine was always, 'Yeah? She's good isn't she?'.

X_X
    http://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/jan/06/popular-exams-in-uk-to-be-rescheduled-to-avoid-ramadan
    A perfect example of how the state is pulled in different directions and will be criticised whatever they do.
    patb wrote: »
    http://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/jan/06/popular-exams-in-uk-to-be-rescheduled-to-avoid-ramadan
    A perfect example of how the state is pulled in different directions and will be criticised whatever they do.

Oh this is bloody ridiculous!
  • RC7RC7

Until the Muslims allow for a holy day to be retooled in favour of eating loads and getting smashed they can stick it.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

They comment plenty of times on how they discussed the matter with Muslim groups but no mention of them discussing it with any non Muslim groups who were quite happy with the status quo and couldnt give a toss about a random sector of the population wanting to starve themselves all day.

This country.
  • RC7RC7

They comment plenty of times on how they discussed the matter with Muslim groups but no mention of them discussing it with any non Muslim groups who were quite happy with the status quo and couldnt give a toss about a random sector of the population wanting to starve themselves all day.

This country.

It's a piss take. It's about time religion adapted rather than the other way around. This kind of crap only serves to perpetuate nonsense. I wonder if my employer would allow me time off on Roger Moore's birthday?
    Perhaps the exams could be rescheduled for night time so the students can eat?
  • RC7RC7
    Perhaps the exams could be rescheduled for night time so the students can eat?

I thought the whole idea was that it was supposed to be sacrifice anyhow? Where's the sacrifice if the regressive left are bending over backwards to accommodate you?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Where's the sacrifice if the regressive left are bending over backwards to accommodate you?
    Regressive Left, regressive Right...
    Help us Bernie Sanders, you're our only hope!
    Birdleson wrote: »
    If we start going too far in touting our political affiliations we all risk disliking each other. For instance, if I knew that some of you supported Trump or Cruz it would be awful hard to interact with those people without a modicum of disgust.

I think Trump is a genius :D
  • RC7RC7
    If we start going too far in touting our political affiliations we all risk disliking each other. For instance, if I knew that some of you supported Trump or Cruz it would be awful hard to interact with those people without a modicum of disgust.

Trump is an absolute clown, but a lot of those over here in the UK concerned with banning him from entering the country are equally buffoonish. It's not our issue or our problem. It's a shame those same lily-livered types weren't and still aren't more vociferous in condemning figures like Anjem Choudary. But then that would 'stir religious tension', as opposed to calling him out for what he is, a dick. Same as Trump.

Trump is an absolute clown, but a lot of those over here in the UK concerned with banning him from entering the country are equally buffoonish. It's not our issue or our problem. It's a shame those same lily-livered types weren't and still aren't more vociferous in condemning figures like Anjem Choudary. But then that would 'stir religious tension', as opposed to calling him out for what he is, a dick. Same as Trump.

I think he knows quite well what he's doing. He wants to be confrontational and absurdly right wing. He doesn't really believe in half of the stuff he says, but he gets a kick out of the attention and publicity.
    The man is a narcissistic psychotic, and he knows exactly what effect he is having and how to control his image. Run for your life dear American cousins if he gets into office, though... only in America ;)
  • RC7RC7
    AceHole wrote: »

I think he knows quite well what he's doing. He wants to be confrontational and absurdly right wing. He doesn't really believe in half of the stuff he says, but he gets a kick out of the attention and publicity.
    The man is a narcissistic psychotic, and he knows exactly what effect he is having and how to control his image. Run for your life dear American cousins if he gets into office, though... only in America ;)

Precisely. Hence why I consider him a clown.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Trump for President! ;)
    60dd8ec6efff2825cfd44536ac3cf08d.jpg

Spot on. The problem regarding religious accommodations is that the left is complacent for a grotesque idea of equality and the right has been serving their own brand of religion. I dream of a secular right and a truly secular left. Complete daydream.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2016 Posts: 15,696
    Breaking news right now, a man tried to enter a police princinct in Paris this morning armed with a knife (or a gun, nothing clear so far) and possibly an explosive vest device. He has been shot after he yelled 'Allah Akhbar'.
    Has anyone got any examples of these attacks where the terrorist shouts:
    "This is not a religious issue!"
    This is yet more evidence to add to what we have (as if we need it) that these attacks are interwoven with religion.
    Has anyone got any examples of these attacks where the terrorist shouts:
    "This is not a religious issue!"
    This is yet more evidence to add to what we have (as if we need it) that these attacks are interwoven with religion.

Terrorism can be politically motivated but now I'd say it is mainly religious or has some religious element in it. And that's a huge issue: you can negotiate with a group having political demands. You cannot negotiate with a group that wants to bring the reign of God on earth.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @patb

They have frequently shouted "for Allah!" and such. But indeed, the big boys are in this thing with political motivations. However, the small fish they send out to do the bombings and shootings almost always believe they're earning their heaven this way.

Say you want to blow up a place but you're too cowardly to do it yourself. So you tell me to do it. No, I won't. You'll pay me? What is money worth when I'm dead? You'll honour me? Not much fun either when I'm dead. You brainwash me since birth, promise me eternal pleasures in the afterlife and tell me the time has come to earn my heaven. Sure, gimme those bombs! Religion is a tool.
    I wonder how much of a political gain they are realistically expecting. Seriously the objective of Islamism is so absolutist, it aims at an utopian world (however nightmarish it is for us) I doubt even the big boys are not complete nutters. You're a millionaire and you end up spending the rest of your life on the run, in a cave, because you've orchestrated the murder of American civilians. How rational is that? What's the political gain?
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 4,622
    Ludovico wrote: »
    @Timmer-I have a life so I only read through your usual rant. You can believe in whatever you want. So does every bishop and imam. What I am against, and my post is very clear about this, is imposing religious views in the public spheres. As these views are religious they are 1)restricted to the religious group sharing it and 2)unverifiable (at best). Bottom line, bishops or imams have no qualifications to have legal power. Or say the power to impose creationism in the education system. or try to uphold blasphemy law (Christianity thriving in a free society, that's a good one! Tell that to the gays in Uganda as well, where Christianity is thriving too). Or try to restrict access to abortion, or to tolerate Sharia laws in domestic disputes (And former archbishop Roman Williams thought it was actually a brilliant idea!).
    This is where you show your totalitarian bent, as I rightly picked up on long ago.
    "restrict access to abortion" Huh in a free society, people can't vote yay or nay regarding divisive life issues such as abortion. We have votes on such matters here in Canada.
    Newflash. Straight guys have been persecuting gays since the beginning of time. Its not particular to any one country or culture. You really aren't very bright are you? Did you graduate high school?
    This is why you are not worth talking to, and why I call you dense, because on one hand you pretend that you do advocate for a free society (or posture in that direction anyway) yet on the other hand you blithely spit out that opposition to abortion should not be allowed.
    If someone like you were to achieve power (in your case impossible of course because it would require a modicum of socialization) they would blithely ban everything they didn't believe in. For the greater good of course, and sleep soundly at night, secure in the knowledge they were doing what was best.
    All your posts are full of these contradictions that you don't even notice. This is because you are a fanatic. You are not interested in normal human discourse and exchange of ideas.
    Rather you are on a crusade to eliminate any and all dissenting thought. It's what obsesses you. You have a pathology. You remind me of some of the characters that Stephen King creates. Should send him a link. You might inspire another trilogy.
    So when people tell you in a nice way, what an asshole you are (which is what it seems the good @dragonpol must have done. I couldn't be bothered backtracking the thread) you respond with the dimmest of responses ie "it wasn't personal"
    You are so dense it's actually comical. Do you not realize how trite that response is. It's what a Mafia hitman might say to someone he is taking out, ie "nothing personal just business." Ok that's fine then, no problem as long as its not personal.
    No-one give a F*** whether you are personal or not personal. I should have put that in caps and shouted it, because you really are that dense.
    No one cares what you believe in. That's not the point
    What @dragonpol resents and everyone else who has called you out over the years is trying to say, is simply that you are an asshole. Just a dick. Its that simple and you keep proving it.
    I would add dense, but maybe the two qualities go hand in hand. Who knows
    @Timmer-I have a life
    There is no chance of that. You are on the keyboard 24/7. You are not a socialized individual.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @timmer, that's enough. Honestly, can it.

You've been told to back down, yet you still continue to berate, just like the child you so openly persist in being these days. You need to learn a social skill called professionalism. This involves in areas of discourse the ability to exchange thoughts and feelings with another without resorting to calling them out as "dense," "fanatical," or "unsocialized" and any other sad variation you've so willingly decided to wave against a man you don't even know personally.

I don't know what was said that sparked @Dragonpol's exodus, because I know the dangers of trying to discuss religious differences with humility (it rarely if ever works), but I do know that you have been way out of line for a while now and should consider biting your tongue when next the need strikes you to continue your defaming mission towards @Ludovico. Who is the obsessed one now I wonder?

I shouldn't have to tell you this, as you're a damn adult, yet here I sit, on this ill-advised thread at two in the morning typing a message of advice to someone who likely won't give a damn about it anyway, because you won't agree. And therein lies the problem. We'll all have disagreements big and small on here; the important thing is that we are each respectful of those differences and that we can maintain a level-headed debate without resorting to name-calling and other schoolyard tactics. I suggest learning fast.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited January 2016 Posts: 9,117
    timmer wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    @Timmer-I have a life so I only read through your usual rant. You can believe in whatever you want. So does every bishop and imam. What I am against, and my post is very clear about this, is imposing religious views in the public spheres. As these views are religious they are 1)restricted to the religious group sharing it and 2)unverifiable (at best). Bottom line, bishops or imams have no qualifications to have legal power. Or say the power to impose creationism in the education system. or try to uphold blasphemy law (Christianity thriving in a free society, that's a good one! Tell that to the gays in Uganda as well, where Christianity is thriving too). Or try to restrict access to abortion, or to tolerate Sharia laws in domestic disputes (And former archbishop Roman Williams thought it was actually a brilliant idea!).
    This is where you show your totalitarian bent, as I rightly picked up on long ago.
    "restrict access to abortion" Huh in a free society, people can't vote yay or nay regarding divisive life issues such as abortion. We have votes on such matters here in Canada.
    Newflash. Straight guys have been persecuting gays since the beginning of time. Its not particular to any one country or culture. You really aren't very bright are you? Did you graduate high school?
    This is why you are not worth talking to, and why I call you dense, because on one hand you pretend that you do advocate for a free society (or posture in that direction anyway) yet on the other hand you blithely spit out that opposition to abortion should not be allowed.
    If someone like you were to achieve power (in your case impossible of course because it would require a modicum of socialization) they would blithely ban everything they didn't believe in. For the greater good of course, and sleep soundly at night, secure in the knowledge they were doing what was best.
    All your posts are full of these contradictions that you don't even notice. This is because you are a fanatic. You are not interested in normal human discourse and exchange of ideas.
    Rather you are on a crusade to eliminate any and all dissenting thought. It's what obsesses you. You have a pathology. You remind me of some of the characters that Stephen King creates. Should send him a link. You might inspire another trilogy.
    So when people tell you in a nice way, what an asshole you are (which is what it seems the good @dragonpol must have done. I couldn't be bothered backtracking the thread) you respond with the dimmest of responses ie "it wasn't personal"
    You are so dense it's actually comical. Do you not realize how trite that response is. It's what a Mafia hitman might say to someone he is taking out, ie "nothing personal just business." Ok that's fine then, no problem as long as its not personal.
    No-one give a F*** whether you are personal or not personal. I should have put that in caps and shouted it, because you really are that dense.
    No one cares what you believe in. That's not the point
    What @dragonpol resents and everyone else who has called you out over the years is trying to say, is simply that you are an asshole. Just a dick. Its that simple and you keep proving it.
    I would add dense, but maybe the two qualities go hand in hand. Who knows
    @Timmer-I have a life
    There is no chance of that. You are on the keyboard 24/7. You are not a socialized individual.

@Ludovico is a fanatic? You're frothing at the mouth son.

Yesterday was the 1 year anniversary of the bloodbath by fanatics. It seems sad that it is marked by another loony trying to get attention and gets shot as a result. Really sad day.
    The French police didn't waste any time with him. And Charlie Hebdo is still being published. Granted they don't draw Mo anymore but it's not like their work on the subject is unavailable.

As for the troll I promise I won't feed him. I confess I don't understand his rants anyway.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    These desert god worshippers are so meek.
  • TinkerTinker Her Majesty
    Je suis Charlie
    Tinker wrote: »
    Je suis Charlie

Moi aussi.

• Has there been another attack.
This discussion has been closed.