No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• RC7RC7
    He's still 'Commander'. Period.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited December 2015 Posts: 2,138
    RC7 wrote: »

Only when addressed by another naval officer or by a member of the monarchy.

I left the police to work in insurance nobody still calls me officer.
  • RC7RC7

He can be Commander whenever they want him to be so I don't really know what the discussion is about.

He can be Commander whenever they want him to be so I don't really know what the discussion is about.

The question is about why they would now, he's no longer a serving naval officer so unless they want to do a story in which he encounters naval personnel who wish to call him commander it would be inaccurate for anyone else to refer to him by person as Commander Bond, perhaps if you are lost on the purpose of the discussion you should go back to the start of the thread and have a read through rather than be so nonchalant with your response.
    Back on topic if Richie does direct any thoughts on who would score the film?
  • RC7RC7

The question is about why they would now, he's no longer a serving naval officer so unless they want to do a story in which he encounters naval personnel who wish to call him commander it would be inaccurate for anyone else to refer to him by person as Commander Bond, perhaps if you are lost on the purpose of the discussion you should go back to the start of the thread and have a read through rather than be so nonchalant with your response.

I just don't see what the issue is, these are works of fiction that take liberties with the realities of life. Your man on the street doesn't care if addressing Bond as Commander belies a technicality.

Risico007 wrote: »
    Back on topic if Richie does direct any thoughts on who would score the film?

Ritchie won't direct IMO.
    Guy Ritchie wont direct a Bond film, not a good fit, for me if Mendes does not return Kenneth Branagh is top of the list he's British- Great work on Thor, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. I think it would have to be this calibre to keep Dan for Bond 25.

I think Mendes will do another. I reckon after the few months off both Dan and Mendes will announce they will both return.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    If Mendes does come back it won't be a tragedy but I'd prefer for him to sit out for Bond 25. I really REALLY want Alfonso Cuaron to take the reigns.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain

That is just a lethal combo. Imagine being sold insurance by a copper :D
    @RC7, in Skyfall, it says "Commander James Bond" on the obituary M types up for him

Precisely.

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,116
    Guy Ritchie wont direct a Bond film, not a good fit, for me if Mendes does not return Kenneth Branagh is top of the list he's British- Great work on Thor, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. I think it would have to be this calibre to keep Dan for Bond 25.

I think Mendes will do another. I reckon after the few months off both Dan and Mendes will announce they will both return.

I don't want to make this more difficult than it is but I truly want to understand.

Kudos to the producers by the way if they did indeed deliberately recognize Bond as no longer a RN officer. No clue how they could get that right but yet seem to have no idea who Blofeld is... Fleming's or theirs.

But anyway so only a member of the monarchy or a naval or former naval officer could refer to Bond as Commander Bond?

Just asking.
    Out of all the Bond directors I do feel Mendes is the best chance to have a faithful adaptation of the novel YOLT
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Out of all the Bond directors I do feel Mendes is the best chance to have a faithful adaptation of the novel YOLT

I would like a faithful YOLT adaptation... might be the best answer to recover. I don't Mendes has enough appreciation for the original material to do it properly. We need new.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    There are countless amount of film directors who could deliver such a faithful adaptation to the asking of the audience. Why do people still recommend Sam Mendes I will never know. From the perspective of the popularity and financial numbers, he has gotten lucky with Skyfall, but among us are the most of the critics of the way the action sequences were mishandled in Spectre, meaning Mendes gave all he had and left the fans with mixed feelings about the film. A new film director is the only choice that would make sense, and nonsensical would it be to bring back Mendes as well as the same screenwriters.

Having said that, I did like Spectre.
    mcdonbb wrote: »

I don't want to make this more difficult than it is but I truly want to understand.

Kudos to the producers by the way if they did indeed deliberately recognize Bond as no longer a RN officer. No clue how they could get that right but yet seem to have no idea who Blofeld is... Fleming's or theirs.

But anyway so only a member of the monarchy or a naval or former naval officer could refer to Bond as Commander Bond?

Just asking.

yes, the monarchy enter the military from young age and technically its still the Queens forces she is still master and commander of the empire so it would be correct for her to refer to him as Commander Bond as he has served in her Navy. Charles/Andrew etc are all time served Navy men, Harry Army/RAF William RAF. Current and former Naval staff would also address former military personal by their rank its like a brotherhood even though you are no longer with them you address them by rank a sign of solidarity and respect.
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    @RC7, in Skyfall, it says "Commander James Bond" on the obituary M types up for him

Precisely.
    Are we all forgetting the lengendery line spoken by Licence to Kill: "Let it go Commander"
    IGUANNA wrote: »

Precisely.
    Are we all forgetting the lengendery line spoken by Licence to Kill: "Let it go Commander"

See earlier post

"So any Bond film after 1994 had the issue to deal with Bond could not be Bond in the Royal Navy aligned intelligence service as it was now GCHQ MI6"

When TLD was made prior to intelligence being moved away from War Office and Navy to GCHQ MI6.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

What makes you say that? Frankly I don't trust Mendes.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 5,745
    Just a quick, easy question:

Why couldn't Bond keep his Commander title in the SIS as a cover for military payroll? If he dies, he was a Commander and there are records of him. Easy cover.

"It make sense for him to be in that line of work, he's a Commander, now let us get back to spying. Stop asking questions."
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Just watched UNCLE again and boy, I love that film! I'd love to see Richie do a Bond film.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Just watched UNCLE again and boy, I love that film! I'd love to see Richie do a Bond film.

Was it like the original series?

DarthDimi wrote: »

Was it like the original series?
    No. There are a few homages and slight in-jokes, but it is its own thing. And if I may add, better than the television series.
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Just asking.

yes, the monarchy enter the military from young age and technically its still the Queens forces she is still master and commander of the empire so it would be correct for her to refer to him as Commander Bond as he has served in her Navy. Charles/Andrew etc are all time served Navy men, Harry Army/RAF William RAF. Current and former Naval staff would also address former military personal by their rank its like a brotherhood even though you are no longer with them you address them by rank a sign of solidarity and respect.

Appreciate your response. Thank you.
    doubleoego wrote: »

What makes you say that? Frankly I don't trust Mendes.

Cause of what he started with Spectre.
  • DarthDimi wrote: »

I thought the same after seeing it.

I just want someone other than Mendes. Him coming back after Skyfall was a mistake. I liked QoS more than SP because at the very least QoS felt fresh to me. That's always been a huge part of the Bond franchise's appeal. One bad movie doesn't mean the next one has to be bad as well. I'm worried that Mendes coming back for Bond 25 will mean he'll try to finish what he started with SP and I'd love for them to just drop all of the plot points that were left open at the conclusion of SP.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Does anyone know why the extremely reliable tabloid writer Baz Bamigboye has stopped releasing Bond scoops? Virtually every story of his involving Bond turned out to be true, notably M's death, Christoph Waltz and Lea Seydoux's casting. It must have something to do with the aftermath of the Sony leaks and EON's request for more privacy and secrecy involving the making of a Bond movie. We may have to deal with a rather slow pre-production for B25.
    For all we know, now, MGM's partner studios will be chosen by February. Further rumours suggested that Production on the 25th might begin during Springtime. That's that.

There is no chance on Earth Ritchie would be the next Bond director, much to my dismay.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    If pre-production begins in the Spring, then hopefully they can manage not to cock up anything, given that it'll be a solid year from that point on before they start shooting (if Craig is returning).
    I do believe Craig will return. And not only for one but two. Then, he's out.

Just my predictions.
  • jake24 wrote: »
    Does anyone know why the extremely reliable tabloid writer Baz Bamigboye has stopped releasing Bond scoops? Virtually every story of his involving Bond turned out to be true, notably M's death, Christoph Waltz and Lea Seydoux's casting. It must have something to do with the aftermath of the Sony leaks and EON's request for more privacy and secrecy involving the making of a Bond movie. We may have to deal with a rather slow pre-production for B25.

I've wondered about this as well. His last scoop was that Bellucci was indeed in the movie (a tweet before the Dec. 4, 2014 press conference). He's done nothing Bond-related since that I've seen.