What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

• AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Zemeckis is not right for Bond. Character driven high-concept movies are what he does best.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2015 Posts: 15,690
    What about Jean-Francois Richet? French director, he made the Assault on Precinct 13 remake, the 2 Mesrine gangster movies with Vincent Cassel and will release 'Blood Father' in 2016, an action/thriller film where Mel Gibson will take down a mexican drug cartel.

The first Mesrine was very good.
    I´ll watch Mel Gibson bring down a Mexican drug cartel.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The 'Mesrine' films are always at the top of my To Watch list and I've yet to get around to them. Richet is a competent action director, though, so he may be able to pull off a Bond movie. My first vote still goes to Denis Villeneuve.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited December 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Never thought I would ever usher these words but with how impressed I was with how Argo was adapted and shot Ben Affleck. Sounds crazy but great piece of film making. Or maybe the first female Bond director Kathryn Bigelow who did the equally impressive Zero Dark Thirty she also worked on Hurt Locker,Point Break and K-19: The Widowmaker all excellent action/drama combo films.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 11,425
    boldfinger wrote: »

Have you seen 'How I Spent My Summer Vacation'? It's excellent, although seemed to sink without trace in 2012. Directed by Adrian Grunberg, although he doesn't seem to have done much since - a shame as the film is more than competent.

Speaking of Mel, how about a Gibson directed Bond movie?
    Never thought I would ever usher these words but with how impressed I was with how Argo was adapted and shot Ben Affleck. Sounds crazy but great piece of film making. Or maybe the first female Bond director Kathryn Bigelow who did the equally impressive Zero Dark Thirty she also worked on Hurt Locker,Point Break and K-19: The Widowmaker all excellent action/drama combo films.

Very true. Argo is a brilliantly put together little entertaining thriller. Historically totally inaccurate but great film making (a bit like Eastwood's American Sniper). Affleck's The Town is also very good.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 5,767
    Getafix wrote: »

Have you seen 'How I Spent My Summer Vacation'? It's excellent, although seemed to sink without trace in 2012. Directed by Adrian Grunberg, although he doesn't seem to have done much since - a shame as the film is more than competent.

Speaking of Mel, how about a Gibson directed Bond movie?

Very true. Argo is a brilliantly put together little entertaining thriller. Historically totally inaccurate but great film making (a bit like Eastwood's American Sniper). Affleck's The Town is also very good.
    Is there a difference between Get the Gringo and How I spent my Summer Vacation? I´ve seen the former, but the voice-over was not that bad. Still, I wish they would have done the film without any voice-over at all. It seems as if they were afraid the film would then be too R-rated, but wasn´t it anyhow? Apart from the voice-over I found it very, very decent. Still have to grin at the thought of "tortured to death by mariachi" ;-). Good music score!

Mel Gibson as Bond director? Well, sure, he´s good for any film as director. He´s certainly in the higher league of film directors.

Speaking of which, Stallone would also be interesting as a director.

Kathryn Bigelow anyhow, it´s a shame she hasn´t been officially mentioned yet. The only reason I could imagine is fear of bitch fights between Babs and a female director, let alone one as hot as Bigelow. When I saw her in an interview for one of her latest films, I couldn´t believe that she wasn´t the lead actress.

Argo was a thrilling film.
    The Town was not bad but too much of a lesser Heat copy.
    But Affleck´s still young...

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Brazillian director José Padilha made two outstanding films with Elite Squad 1 and 2 (Tropa de Elite and Tropa de Elite 2 – O Inimigo Agora é Outro). He also directed the RoboCop remake which, despite mixed revies, shows him as a good drama / action / character director. I think he could make a good if not a great Bond film.
    I went to see Bridge of Spies.
    Holy sh*t, that Spielberg´s got talent. I complain about Mendes´ doing too much drama in his Bond films. But this film is so great to look at and watch, it´s a crime he doesn´t do Bond. I would so go to see it. Drama or no drama, period piece or contemporary, I would pay to see any or all of it. Heck, I wouldn´t even complain if Tom Hanks played James Bond, if it´s done in this quality.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Holy sh*t, that Spielberg´s got talent. I complain about Mendes´ doing too much drama in his Bond films. But this film is so great to look at and watch, it´s a crime he doesn´t do Bond. I would so go to see it. Drama or no drama, period piece or contemporary, I would pay to see any or all of it. Heck, I wouldn´t even complain if Tom Hanks played James Bond, if it´s done in this quality.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=9wOcQr-2-pE
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Agreed. Superb film with outstanding performances by all concerned.

I like to think that the Langdon films are Hanks' Bond however and quite frankly Angels and Demons is as Bond like as one can get (much more entertaining than the Da Vinci Code). Great fun and I can't wait for the new one.
    Thanks @Mallory, that was great, I hadn´t seen that yet :-)).

@bondjames, Spielberg also has fantastic casting in this film, I love it when I see so many unknown (to me at least) faces perform so impressively.
    I agree that Angels and Demons was better than DVC, and more entertaining than I like to admit. Looking forward to the new one too!
    I was watching 'Master & Commander - Far side of the world' last weekend and thought that Peter Weir might be an solid choice to helm a Bond adventure...
    Bridge of Spies confirmed to me that Spielberg has real flexibility. Its a wonderful film IMHO but I know some will find it slow. He really focuses on character and tension, for me, the film flew by. Its a proper adult movie, an instant classic, I could go on all afternoon. The only possible downside re Spielberg's style is that he can get a little smaltzy sometimes and so can Tom Hanks (anyone think Costner could have pulled it off?). But with a good second unit doing the action, I really do think Spielberg could do a good Bond. Having said that, would he want to? that's the question.
    AceHole wrote: »
    I was watching 'Master & Commander - Far side of the world' last weekend and thought that Peter Weir might be an solid choice to helm a Bond adventure...

Peter Weir even sounds likes a Bond Directors name doesn't it??
    What about Jean-Francois Richet? French director, he made the Assault on Precinct 13 remake, the 2 Mesrine gangster movies with Vincent Cassel and will release 'Blood Father' in 2016, an action/thriller film where Mel Gibson will take down a mexican drug cartel.
    Talking about French directors, I might as well throw in Cédric Jimenez´ name. I just watched La French two times in a row, and I could watch it again tomorrow. Everything works in this film, the drama, the suspense, the camera, the set and costume design, the actors, the music, and Marseille is the perfect background for any film. And the short passage set in the US shows that it would also work as an American film.

I know it's cliché but what about Luc Besson (taken) again he is able to do the older spy coming out of retirement due to a loved one being threatened. why not have that plot come into play in bond 25. Lets be fair they wrote themselves into a corner for Spectre so no matter what it will be cliché if we are being honest with ourselves.

Blofeld running things from a prison cell (apparently many feel this is cliché)
    Swann dieing ala tracy (cliché)
    Swann just leaving him between film really is cliché as well when you think about it.

So I say go the full monty and give us a race against time Bond trying to save Swann while stopping Blofeld who either escaped or working behind the scenes in a prison cell and have Besson direct it. the plot of Taken had been done so often before Taken came out but Luc's direction and Liam's acting turned a cliché overused plot and did something really cool with it. I say Let Blofeld (bond 25) be the taken of the series.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I'm not sure if they've necessarily written themselves into a corner though. They've got a lot of options with B25.

1. ignore it entirely and have a completely new unrelated plot
    2. follow on with Blofeld but just don't touch on Swann at all until the finale / epilogue (MI3)
    3. touch on Swann briefly in the beginning or even pretitles but then don't focus on her at all (FRWL - Trench)

Regarding Besson - I've always felt Taken a little heavy on the melodrama. Not really my cup of tea. We may also potentially end up with Serra back again. I wouldn't mind that but I'm sure some members here would have a fit!
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I know it's cliché but what about Luc Besson (taken) again he is able to do the older spy coming out of retirement due to a loved one being threatened. why not have that plot come into play in bond 25. Lets be fair they wrote themselves into a corner for Spectre so no matter what it will be cliché if we are being honest with ourselves.

Blofeld running things from a prison cell (apparently many feel this is cliché)
    Swann dieing ala tracy (cliché)
    Swann just leaving him between film really is cliché as well when you think about it.

So I say go the full monty and give us a race against time Bond trying to save Swann while stopping Blofeld who either escaped or working behind the scenes in a prison cell and have Besson direct it. the plot of Taken had been done so often before Taken came out but Luc's direction and Liam's acting turned a cliché overused plot and did something really cool with it. I say Let Blofeld (bond 25) be the taken of the series.
    Just for the record, Besson didn´t direct any of the Taken films. The first one was directed by Pierre Morel, the 2nd and 3rd by Olivier Megaton.

I don´t like the Bond tries to save Swann idea at all. The idea of Bond getting personal was badass in LTK, but since then it has been done to death and back again. The very idea of government agent has been totally undermined already. Let him do his job, and leave his personal life at the door. I find the idea of especially James Bond of all people doing his job much more appealing than Bond bringing all his personal baggage into the story.

bondjames wrote: »
    I'm not sure if they've necessarily written themselves into a corner though. They've got a lot of options with B25.

1. ignore it entirely and have a completely new unrelated plot
    2. follow on with Blofeld but just don't touch on Swann at all until the finale / epilogue (MI3)
    3. touch on Swann briefly in the beginning or even pretitles but then don't focus on her at all (FRWL - Trench)

Regarding Besson - I've always felt Taken a little heavy on the melodrama. Not really my cup of tea. We may also potentially end up with Serra back again. I wouldn't mind that but I'm sure some members here would have a fit!
    I agree to all three options you bring, @bondjames.

As for Serra, that would depend on the marketing. Serra has worked with all kinds of instrumentations, many of his other soundtracks don´t remotely resemble his scores for Leon and GE, and for sure he wouldn´t sound like he did 20 years ago.

I never knew Besson was associated with Taken. He cowrote it and prodoced it apparently. Definitely not director though!
  • Chris Mcquarrie .
    Isaac Florentine director of 'Close Range' and 'Undisputed 3', this guy sure knows how to direct action, with probably some of the best fighting scenes ever seen on screen.
    The lead actor in these films Scott Adkins, could be a good Bond as well.
  • David Fincher or
    adiman93 wrote: »
    David Fincher or

...Fincher, Michael Mann, or Peter Weir.
    Paddy Considine
    Paul Greengrass
    Mike Newell
    out of the list Nolan, Fincher and Hooper are the only one I like.
  • Guntram_ShatterhandGuntram_Shatterhand The Shadows
    Personally I would really appreciate Nolan, as it seems that when he's constrained (by a certain legacy) he is able to create dark, convincing masterpieces. Since they're going to have to do a soft reboot after Craig's run Nolan can set up a new story base with a movie or two.
    Nolan would be about the last choice I would appreciate. I´m not sure wether I should feel save because Mendes in fact channeled a lot of Nolan, or if SF and SP were merely groundwork for bringing Nolan to the franchise. But since Nolan seems to be busy at the moment with his next film, at least for the time being it seems I´m safe ;-).