Is Thunderball Overrated?

Comments

I love Largo, seems like im the only one :)
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I heartily agree @OHMSS69

Especially with your last sentence....
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    The conversation regarding Largo. He looks imposing and all what with the eye patch and his cool demeanor but he does pale when lined up against the villains who came before him (Julius No, Red Grant, Rosa Klebb, Auric Goldfinger). Maybe we just expected more from him in this "biggest Bond of them all" film.

Domino appears very virginal (even though Largo has been shagging her) like Solataire and her beauty is almost overwhelming but she comes in fourth when compared to the leading ladies in the previous films.

Fiona is one of the brightest spots in this epic film. that face, that flame red hair, that drop dead body. I daresay she is the hottest of the women in the Bond films.

I personally find Largo superior to Goldfinger. He's colder, more athletic, more of a physical match for Bond, his antagonism with Bond is more personal. I find his introduction far better as well.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Ludovico wrote: »
    The conversation regarding Largo. He looks imposing and all what with the eye patch and his cool demeanor but he does pale when lined up against the villains who came before him (Julius No, Red Grant, Rosa Klebb, Auric Goldfinger). Maybe we just expected more from him in this "biggest Bond of them all" film.

Domino appears very virginal (even though Largo has been shagging her) like Solataire and her beauty is almost overwhelming but she comes in fourth when compared to the leading ladies in the previous films.

Fiona is one of the brightest spots in this epic film. that face, that flame red hair, that drop dead body. I daresay she is the hottest of the women in the Bond films.

I personally find Largo superior to Goldfinger. He's colder, more athletic, more of a physical match for Bond, his antagonism with Bond is more personal. I find his introduction far better as well.
    Me too. I've always preferred Largo personally, although I realize Goldfinger is more iconic.
  • RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »

Me too. I've always preferred Largo personally, although I realize Goldfinger is more iconic.

I respect both your opinions, but woah, do I disagree. Every time I watch GF I marvel at Frobe's physicality and Collins' vocal performance. The two are just so harmonious. Love the way his nonchalant exterior breaks with the line 'Except Crime!'
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited December 2015 Posts: 9,117
    TripAces wrote: »
    TB is solidly in my top 4. It has several things going for it:

8. Vargas.

=))

If you're struggling so much that the spiritual father of Elvis makes the top 10 as a positive then it's probably time to admit TB isn't that good.

Vargas a plus? Seriously? The guy just stands around wearing sunglasses and then gets the point. He's such a nonentity of a threat Bond takes him down without even needing to get off his arse. Hardly Grant or Oddjob.
    timmer wrote: »
    All time greatest films ever made including non Bond.

1. DAF
    2. TB
    3. YOLT
    Utterly risible. 3 best films of a time? They aren't even the 3 best Connery Bonds.

But that's in your "risible" opinion, so who gives a crap. We all have our personal favourites. Those are my desert island films and I consider them the best films ever made. Best of course being a relative term and I really don't defer to film critics in such matters or other so-called intelligentsia.
    Maybe if we were in film class and there were strictly defined criteria we had to objectively apply, my list might turn out to be 12 Angry Men, Citizen Kane and Apolalypse Now or maybe not, but such an exercise doesn't interest me.

Most intelligent people on here have FRWL top 5 and DN there or there abouts along with OHMSS which also has long periods where not a lot happens.

If TB is slagged off its because it's not very good not because it's a bit slow in parts.
    Again with the eltitism and Bond snobbery. Most intelligent people blah blah blah.........
    I don't really give a damn, Scarlett, if someone might put DAD on top !...Doesn't reflect on their intelligence.

I have seen TB at least 6 times on the big screen. It's never dragged and its never dragged on the small screen either, the 20 or 30 times I've watched it, but I can see why others think it might, especially the underwater bits, but I've never found them to drag. I am always looking for new things I might not have focused on in previous viewings or savouring the bits I like.
    There's a lot going on in that extended underwater battle.

TB is deftly crafted I'd say. Yes Young has said he was overwhelmed by it all. In fact I'm not sure he even finished the film, but between him and the others that finished, they did a damn fine job.
    TB even got a standing O when I saw it at the Tiff Bond festival in 2012 in 4k digital.
    Its a crowd pleaser. Lot of good lines from Connery.

TB is one of those Bond films that has a longish feel ,and feel is the operative word as opposed to actual length.
    The film requires a commit. I find you don't just pop it in. You commit and settle in, much like OHMSS, SF and CR, although those 3 are actual long films too.
    The 3 Gilbert films require a commit too I think.
    The Guy Hamilton films plus DN and FRWL, along with all the Glenn and Broz films, plus QoS, I can just pop in

Wiz you are smart enough to know that Bond fandom is really alll about preference. Eg the SF lovers are no more intelligent than the SF haters.

I would refute that entirely. If someone puts DAD top it most certainly does reflect on their intelligence. They are a f**king moron.

Whilst liking TB certainly doesn't put someone in that category, as it's a reasonable entry and still has solid roots in Fleming surely you can see that the statement DAF, TB and YOLT are the three best films of all time is clearly idiotic? If you want to say they are your three favourite then fine it's your funeral but you might want to check your Bond tinted glasses aren't too dark and stopping you from seeing the world outside.

Personally I find TB utterly underwhelming and it's in my bottom third. I can see why some people rate it higher. What I can't see is why people rate it as an all time classic when there are so many far better candidates to choose from. And as for it being one of the best three films of all time? Afraid I'm going to have to stand by my original comment Sir - risible.

If everyone's opinion is equally valid then why is Donald Trump getting so much shit the last few days?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

As much as I love GF, Auric Goldfinger is a bit overrated as a villain. He can't sink a two foot putt, for crying out loud, and acts like a baby when he loses a golf game. If not for OddJob, GF would have no menace for Bond at all.
  • RC7RC7

As much as I love GF, Auric Goldfinger is a bit overrated as a villain. He can't sink a two foot putt, for crying out loud, and acts like a baby when he loses a golf game. If not for OddJob, GF would have no menace for Bond at all.

It tells you everything you need to know about his character. He 'always' gets what he wants and it's the second time Bond has prevented that from happening. Petulance is a part of his make up.
    RC7 wrote: »

I respect both your opinions, but woah, do I disagree. Every time I watch GF I marvel at Frobe's physicality and Collins' vocal performance. The two are just so harmonious. Love the way his nonchalant exterior breaks with the line 'Except Crime!'

Forbes is definitely a far more powerful presence in GF than Celi is in TB, compared to other characters in the respective films. There is something darkly chilling about Celi's Largo though, in a low key Spectre #2 operative sort of way. A quieter, but menacing presence. Auric comes across as more of a Donald Trump sort of character to me... big flamboyant personality.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 14,855

Gert Frobe is a great actor, no question here. One of the greatest German actors of his generation. But the character's introduction is not great: a fat guy showing up in summery clothes, about to play a game of cards. And he gets immediately dominated by Bond. In the novel, you had Fleming's prose to make something more arresting. Granted, Largo's introduction is not Dr No's or Klebb's, but it is a better one IMO: first we see thee honorable man in a suit who is respected as a notabile by the French police (and let's face it, the suit is far more dignified than Bermuda shorts), then he gets in the SPECTRE meeting, we see a different side of him, then he watches with cold indifference another member of his organization get toasted... then finally we see him as the field commander and tactician of the scheme. I also find Largo far more controlled than Goldfinger, even when he gets angry, which I find more menacing.

And however much I love Honor Blackman as an actress and a person and in spite of Claudine Auger's more limited acting skills, I still think Domino as a character is the better Bond girl and far better used in the plot, but that is another story.
    sunsanvil wrote: »
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Having just come back from 10 days in a sunny climate myself, one of the joys of TB is that it feels like you are almost on holiday with Bond when you watch it.

Absolutely. Thunderball somehow manages to convey the sunny exotic locale in a way no other film does for me.

It's because it's juxtaposed with the mundanity of a British health spa. This is what Fleming always did best and is why I don't mind more significant use of British locations (earlier in a film). You need the light and shade, the balance of English stoicism with the exoticism of far flung locales. While I feel TB, objectively, is more bloated and indulgent than it's predecessors, it does nail this aspect.

Yes very interesting, the transition from Shrublands/England to sunny Bahamas is stark!
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 4,622
    I would refute that entirely. If someone puts DAD top it most certainly does reflect on their intelligence. They are a f**king moron.
    Well I won't worry about this, as I have it at #21 on my list of 21 non-alt Bond films.
    Someone that actually loves the film and has it top is better off fighting this fight.
    Lee Tamahori and Madonna will be giving you a call.

Risible- my new favourite word! thanks Wiz!!

Well I won't worry about this, as I have it at #21 on my list of 21 non-alt Bond films.

Maybe there is some hope for you.

Risible- my new favourite word! thanks Wiz!!

I'll try and wheel it out more often for you. Fortunately this is just the thread to use it with so many TB diehards about the place!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited December 2015 Posts: 17,694
    Not a bit of it- perhaps they just get something from the film that you do not.
    I personally rate it lower, near DAF, and I like them both no matter the dopey parts because Connery & Brosnan are the point to watching those films.
    If someone is SO into Pierce's performance, are in love with Halle Berry, come from a sci-fi background, and really dig sword fights it's conceivable that they could list DAD on top whilst still being a highly intelligent person.
    You sir, get twenty lashes with a wet noodle for your knee-jerk broad stroke there. :))
    chrisisall wrote: »
    You sir, get twenty lashes with a wet noodle for your knee-jerk broad stroke there. :))
    Personally I think he should be subjected to being prodded with fake looking needles by some madman with no socks and pants up to his knees :D
    But this board would be risible without out the Wiz and his outbursts.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I don't want to ruin the mood here but the term Eurotrash does not come across as very respectful or intelligent either. @TheWizardOfIce
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 2,015
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    I don't want to ruin the mood here but the term Eurotrash does not come across as very respectful or intelligent either. @TheWizardOfIce

I'm afraid many active members define others here by their country... :(

but in this case, it refers to many European movies forgotten since then, made in the 60s/70s first because of the multi-country budgets, with no real direction then. Definitely made for money and tax cuts, not for art. With some exception, as always, obviously.

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited December 2015 Posts: 6,804

but in this case, it refers to many European movies forgotten since then, made in the 60s/70s first because of the multi-country budgets, with no real direction then. Definitely made for money and tax cuts, not for art. With some exception, as always, obviously.

If you are referring to films such as Hercules (1958) I must admit that it could qualify as "Eurotrash". Nevertheless, trash has been made in the Anglo-Saxon world as well and Europe has produced many of the finest film artists ever.

I'm against the term, it's derogatory and suggests that Europeans are only capable of producing atrocious movies. Just say something like "trashy" or "lowbrow" instead.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    If someone is SO into Pierce's performance, are in love with Halle Berry, come from a sci-fi background, and really dig sword fights it's conceivable that they could list DAD on top whilst still being a highly intelligent person.

I think the number of people who fall into the category you describe are about the same as those who have their hearts on the right side of their body; one in a million - those are the odds.

While its not perhaps impossible for someone intelligent to enjoy Halle Berry's performance it goes wildly beyond the probable that such a person would. Elements of DAD are an insult to the intelligence of people who watch Mrs Brown's Boys so to the average Oxbridge graduate Jinx saying 'Yo Momma' before Bond jumps in his invisible car must be downright offensive no matter how engaging they find Pierce's performance (probably the best element of the film by the way).

If you are referring to films such as Hercules (1958) I must admit that it could qualify as "Eurotrash". Nevertheless, trash has been made in the Anglo-Saxon world as well and Europe has produced many of the finest film artists ever.

I'm against the term, it's derogatory and suggests that Europeans are only capable of producing atrocious movies. Just say something like "trashy" or "lowbrow" instead.

Oh please. Am I going to have to go and dig out Mr Pink's smallest violin in the world just for @GoldenGun?

The discussion was about Adolfo Celi's CV and I would contend that the word Eurotrash aptly describes such classics as Confessions of a Frustrated Housewife and the seminal Operation Kid Brother.

Its not a criticism of all things European. Its not saying all European cinema is trash. Its just a throwaway line to describe a certain genre of low budget film, originating largely in Italy.

I would love to introduce you to the original Eurotrash on Channel 4 but that would probably give you a stroke given its sole existence was to laugh at you funny Europeans!

If this term seriously upsets you then you have my sympathies because I honestly dont know how you get through the day and I'd certainly suggest you might want to stay away from the internet because there are a lot more people less affable than my good self on here.

Instead of whining about being offended like a vegan, lesbian social worker who drives a Prius try and come back with some banter like Timmer does (even if his efforts at wit are, to coin a popular phrase, risible!)
  • gumboltgumbolt Now with in-office photocopier
    I'm watching TB right now (about 50 minutes in) and I have always been of the view it is overrated. It is just rather dull. The sound is rather grating too. Connery is excellent but cannot take this out of my bottom tier of Bond movies.
    gumbolt wrote: »
    I'm watching TB right now (about 50 minutes in) and I have always been of the view it is overrated. It is just rather dull. The sound is rather grating too. Connery is excellent but cannot take this out of my bottom tier of Bond movies.

No, TB is not overrated, get back to watching the film, and concentrate, then when film is finished you can come back here and post. :)
    Well, I'm now finished watching TB. And honestly, I concentrated! It still doesn't do it for me and I know I'm in the minority. I recently gave DAD another viewing and did not find it nearly as poor as I recall or as legend has it- although its still below par. So I do not stubbornly stick to my judgements. But TB did not improve for me. I've seen TB many times over the last 25 years or so and I just cannot see the love for it. Still, Connery was laugh out loud funny when responding to Domino's "I'm glad I killed him" line and the final scene was fist pumping and of its time. I suppose I'll just have to accept this widely accepted classic doesn't do it for me.
    gumbolt wrote: »
    Well, I'm now finished watching TB. And honestly, I concentrated! It still doesn't do it for me and I know I'm in the minority. I recently gave DAD another viewing and did not find it nearly as poor as I recall or as legend has it- although its still below par. So I do not stubbornly stick to my judgements. But TB did not improve for me. I've seen TB many times over the last 25 years or so and I just cannot see the love for it. Still, Connery was laugh out loud funny when responding to Domino's "I'm glad I killed him" line and the final scene was fist pumping and of its time. I suppose I'll just have to accept this widely accepted classic doesn't do it for me.
    This is very sad news indeed, to read of a member not being able to fully appreciate one of Bondom's finest entries.

For me, the dreamy watery score, sunny vacation locale, save the world plot, women of extreme beauty and a Bond as criminally cool as is humanly possible make it a no brainer.

Hopefully a future rewatch results in a positive reassessment, like happened with DAD for you.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 153
    I hope I learn to enjoy it too - just like with OP, which has gone up massively in my opinion in the last few years.
    save the world plot

I hate to break it to you but the world is never in danger in TB. At worst Miami and some coral are at risk although given that Kotze has lobbed the fuse for the second bomb in the sea only the Miami bomb has any semblance of a threat and - genius screenwriting - that takes place off screen.

If you want the world to be in jeopardy try YOLT, TSWLM or OP. They obey the first rule of having a nuclear threat as your villain's scheme - have the bomb counting down so that if Bond doesn't succeed the world is at risk.

In TB after the Miami bomb is found Bond could go home because all Largo has without the fuse is a very large and heavy paperweight.

edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    "bondjames wrote:
    save the world plot

I hate to break it to you but the world is never in danger in TB. At worst Miami and some coral are at risk although given that Kotze has lobbed the fuse for the second bomb in the sea only the Miami bomb has any semblance of a threat and - genius screenwriting - that takes place off screen.

If you want the world to be in jeopardy try YOLT, TSWLM or OP. They obey the first rule of having a nuclear threat as your villain's scheme - have the bomb counting down so that if Bond doesn't succeed the world is at risk.

In TB after the Miami bomb is found Bond could go home because all Largo as without the fuse is very large and heavy paperweight.
    Ok, fair enough. Initially a few large cities were at risk though.

Towards the end of it all I was just appreciating the underwater fights, Domino in a bikini & Bond's cool underwater jet tank. I could do without the ridiculous sped up boat chase though.

It's not a film to think too much about. Perhaps this was where @gumbolt erred. He was concentrating too much. Just enjoy the vacation with Bond, Domino & the rest of the gang.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 14,855
    Actually do we know when Kotz defused the bombs? I always understood that it was later on, when the game is over for Largo anyway. Until then, and until we as viewers know, Miami was at risk, and correct me if I'm wrong but that is a major American city. It would have certainly changed the world as we know it, the way 9/11 did. And even if Kotz had defused the bomb early on... Bond does not know it. MI6 does not know it. The CIA does not know it. They could have paid the ransom, which would also have had dire consequences for the Western world: two major powers put on their knees and force to accept nuclear blackmail by a terrorist organization.

And actually, thinking about it, wasn't Kotz's line just a way to say the bombs would not blow up there and kill Bond, Domino and a good deal of people with the radiations.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 11,189
    It's funny, I actually think there's a far greater sense of threat in a film like Thunderball than there is in the equally decorative and indulgent MR - despite the fact that the scheme in the latter is far bigger.

Moonraker is an odd one in that its so tongue in cheek that I rarely feel the world is REALLY in danger.

TB is at least played relatively straight, hence the threat feels a bit more believable.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    It's funny, I actually think there's a far greater sense of threat in a film like Thunderball than there is in the equally decorative and indulgent MR - despite the fact that the scheme in the latter is far bigger.

Because in TB it is far more plausible. It was back in the 60s and it still is.
    Well all we know is one bomb is in Miami. Even if we presume it is armed and counting down to disaster we don't get to see that exciting climax. Instead we are stuck with a load of guys fighting over an unarmed bomb, and one which SPECTRE no longer has the immediate capability to arm.

It's irrelevant if Bond, MI6 and the CIA know if the bombs are defused or not. We the audience know that Kotze has thrown the arming devices into the sea so the tension is thus dissipated.

To get the remaining bomb to explode SPECTRE need to get hold of more 'little toys' and another Kotze to understand how they work (a lot is made of Kotze's technical abilities so it is clear that no one at SPECTRE has the scientific knowhow of how to operate the bombs). Ok I suppose they could take the whole thing apart at a later date, extract the fissile material and build a rudimentary device and hold the world to ransom again.

But in the here and now of the thrilling climax of 'the biggest Bond of all' all SPECTRE have in their possession is a useless lump of metal.