SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

The thing is though, none of us know what this new SW film is going to be like.
    Will it be similar in tone and feel to the George Lucas original trilogy, or the second trilogy?, or will it be something else completely different?
    Yes, millions of Star Wars kids will flock to the cinemas in the first couple of weeks, but after that we will all know if the film is good or not, and then we will be able to determine if the film can reach the BO totals achieved by Titanic and Avatar.
    I do think the film will pass Jurassic World with relative ease anyway, even if SW turns out to be mediocre.
    My guess though is SW7 is gonna be a very good film, and i will certainly be going to see it, and i must remember to take my 3D glasses with me.
    It will also be interesting to see the Chinese reaction to SW in the New Year, as they never had the priviledge of seeing the previous films when they came out.
  • RC7RC7
    All SW has to do is be passable. JW world was purely that and it made a f*** tonne of money. If it hits the classic beats and is lacquered with nostalgia it will smash the BO.
    mepal1 wrote: »
    The thing is though, none of us know what this new SW film is going to be like.
    Will it be similar in tone and feel to the George Lucas original trilogy, or the second trilogy?, or will it be something else completely different?

It will be completely different.
    You can't re-create the atmosphere and feeling of the original trilogy.
    That was a thing of its time. It's impossible to get that back.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I hope they have some humour in it. That for me was a critical & endearing component of the atmosphere in the original three. Usually provided nicely by Hans. The prequels were quite dour.

From the trailers, it seems closer in feel to the original trilogy.
    SP is upto £91 mil ($138 mil) in the UK.
  • Another 3 million quid to go to nudge Avatar out of the way. Nice!

Actually in terms of tickets sold, I bet it probably has already beaten Avatar, as that had the inflated price 3D advantage.
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Another 3 million quid to go to nudge Avatar out of the way. Nice!

Actually in terms of tickets sold, I bet it probably has already beaten Avatar, as that had the inflated price 3D advantage.

That's true, but then again if you look at the BFI adjusted for 2014 figures, then both Skyfall and Avatar, are even slightly further ahead of Spectre.

The 3D prices in the UK are no doubt going to make it easier for SW7 to accumulate a huge gross.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 212
    SPECTRE took in $0.652M on Tuesday and has grossed $185.75M to date domestically.
    So the 200 won't be reached then, I suppose.
    BTW GG, get your little arse over here asap. You can't just leave your thread alone [-(
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Realistically, anything over 800 million for SP is more than enough cause for celebration.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Right now it's tracking (on a daily basis and without inflation adjustment) between QoS & CR on US daily gross (SF was doing almost exactly double at this point).

CR went on to make another $20m from this point on in the States, while QoS only made another $10m. The difference was due to the level at which the gross held up into the next few weeks (with CR having much stronger legs than QoS).

Based on the above, and extrapolating, the US gross should come in between $197m and $205m, which again puts us right at $200m. The only thing that can derail that is if the theatre count and the gross into the next two weeks declines considerably (to QoS or lower levels). Then it will probably be out of the theatres sooner which could put us just under $200m. It's interesting to note, from an article that @mepal1 posted on another thread, that Sony was always expecting about $200m in the US, even last year. So I think they will do what they can to push it over $200m, just like they were happy with QoS just surpassing CR's US gross.

I agree that anything over $800m global should be considered a reasonable success. I don't think Sony/EON were expecting another SF level smash with this one. Their expectations appear to have been much lower, given noted scripting issues that they were all dealing with last year.
    I think 202 US and 870 worldwide is about the finish. Pretty damn good.
    SP has done great B/O, admittedly it is not gonna break the Billion barrier but it is still a great Bond movie!
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Right now it's tracking (on a daily basis and without inflation adjustment) between QoS & CR on US daily gross (SF was doing almost exactly double at this point).

CR went on to make another $20m from this point on in the States, while QoS only made another $10m. The difference was due to the level at which the gross held up into the next few weeks (with CR having much stronger legs than QoS).

Based on the above, and extrapolating, the US gross should come in between $197m and $205m, which again puts us right at $200m. The only thing that can derail that is if the theatre count and the gross into the next two weeks declines considerably (to QoS or lower levels). Then it will probably be out of the theatres sooner which could put us just under $200m. It's interesting to note, from an article that @mepal1 posted on another thread, that Sony was always expecting about $200m in the US, even last year. So I think they will do what they can to push it over $200m, just like they were happy with QoS just surpassing CR's US gross.

I agree that anything over $800m global should be considered a reasonable success. I don't think Sony/EON were expecting another SF level smash with this one. Their expectations appear to have been much lower, given noted scripting issues that they were all dealing with last year.

Excellent analysis!!!
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Hate to bring it up but after all the American bashing for SP hitting only 200m why didn't someone mention that SP will earn even less percentage wise than SF did in the UK?

THIS IS JUST A FRIENDLY RETORT :D
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Hate to bring it up but after all the American bashing for SP hitting only 200m why didn't someone mention that SP will earn even less percentage wise than SF did in the UK?

THIS IS JUST A FRIENDLY RETORT :D

Sounds like you guys have been keeping the British end up - not for the first time!
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 45
    Just got back from my 5th and likely final SPECTRE viewing last night. The theatre was surprisingly full on a Thursday night for a movie that's been out for a month.

Still deeply disappointed that we won't reach the big Billion, but at this point I'm just praying for 200 stateside and over 850 worldwide to bring it to the 5th highest for the year.

Damn a repeat of 1 billion would have been nice though :(
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Bond making another billion is and was always a lofty achievement and only breeds disappointment and unrealistic expectations that they can't possibly maintain. The movies hovering around 750 and 800 million is a far more reasonable and acceptable result.
    It had been possible. The showing of this film, which is not universally liked but still has legs and will end its run as a very successful film shows, how much more would have been possible. A Billion= Easily.

As it is, it can claim to have the big 8 in front and that alone is an achievement and we as fans, like the film or not, can still be proud of that result.
    'SP' still hanging on in there at the North American BO.
    Film is only losing 200 theaters this weekend, which isn't too bad, considering how far the film is into its run.

As a comparison, that 'Victor Frankenstein' film has been a disaster, its lost a staggering 2219 theaters this weekend.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    mepal1 wrote: »
    'SP' still hanging on in there at the North American BO.
    Film is only losing 200 theaters this weekend, which isn't too bad, considering how far the film is into its run.

As a comparison, that 'Victor Frankenstein' film has been a disaster, its lost a staggering 2219 theaters this weekend.

Cool

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Spectre has already made over a billion in several currencies.
    SP on a running total of $186,767,660 coming into this weekend at the North American market. Hopefully film we be around $189-190 mil mark by Sunday evening.

Still needs a few million more to pass the adjusted figure for QOS.
    Yep, 190 or so means pretty much guaranteed to hit 200. It's holding steady during the week these days and will keep cranking out a few mil per week easy over the next couple months, even with Star Wars or whatever coming out.
  • mepal1 wrote: »
    SP on a running total of $186,767,660 coming into this weekend at the North American market. Hopefully film we be around $189-190 mil mark by Sunday evening.

Still needs a few million more to pass the adjusted figure for QOS.
    Early estimates for this weekend: 3.7 million, 190.5 million cume.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,568
    What are the worldwide predictions? (Since our money is as good as USA money, correct? ;-))
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    How do we think the release of Star Wars will affect SP's domestic box office from here?

It might well kill it stone dead but then again lots of people turning up at the cinema can only be a good thing surely? If Star Wars is a sell out as it is likely to be for the first couple of weeks a fair few of those people who went out for the evening might opt for SP rather than go home. I'm hoping.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 1,098
    How do we think the release of Star Wars will affect SP's domestic box office from here?

It might well kill it stone dead but then again lots of people turning up at the cinema can only be a good thing surely? If Star Wars is a sell out as it is likely to be for the first couple of weeks a fair few of those people who went out for the evening might opt for SP rather than go home. I'm hoping.

Its difficult to gauge, except to say that the films playing now are going to lose a shed load of theaters next week, as apart form SW7 opening at 3,900 theatres, there are 2 other wide openings, and they are:-

Alvin and the Chipmunks the Road chip :- 3,600 theaters
    Sisters :- 2,900+ theaters

good luck to the 2 above films , in making any sort of decent income that weekend. :-O

Basically, to make way for the above new films, the current films playing including SP are going to have to sacrifice a lot of theaters.

It won't be a good idea, if you want to see SW7 on opening weekend, without already having a pre-paid ticket, as based on what i can see by UK cinemas, the only seats available, will be those seats right at the front, where if you watch a film, you come out of the cinema, having developed 'Marty Feldman' type eyes. :)
    Keep in mind that there are some decent films opening on or around Christmas Day as always, which will gobble up some valuable theatres as well.