SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Thank you @DarthDimi. I have noticed a little bullying, badgering and knocking member's opinions on here since SP was released. I don't think it's necessary, because everyone should feel free to express themselves & their view on the film & franchise without feeling intimidated or insulted.
  • DarthDimi wrote: »
    Gentlemen, time-out please. This bickering is very entertaining but let's not get all ugly here. :) @Gustav_Graves, can you please remove that f-bomb, friend?

But "M" also said the words in "Skyfall" @DarthDimi. Anyway, I'm willing to remove it, if some moderators dare to address people like @Suivez_ce_parachute publicly as well. Otherwise I will keep it there.

I mean, you guys are here to maintain some 'positive spirit' no? And although everyone needs to react in complete freedom, I'm getting tired of the notion that one f-bomb creates more negativity in here than someone who knows how to articulate complete negativity towards one person. The latter ones sometimes are as poisonous as I am.

• edited December 2015 Posts: 1,098
    Update on the UK boxoffice for SP.

The film has now reached £90.5 mil (which at today's exchange rate equals approx $136.6 mil).

BO followers are now sure that SP will overtake Avatar's £94 mil, by the xmas hols to become the 2nd highest grossing film in the UK behind SF. SP will likely now finish with £95 mil.
    Mind you sometime early next year, don't be surprised to see the film, SW7 overtake both SP & SF.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    mepal1 wrote: »

The film has now reached £90.5 mil (which at today's exchange rate equals approx $136.6 mil).

BO followers are now sure that SP will overtake Avatar's £94 mil, by the xmas hols to become the 2nd highest grossing film in the UK behind SF. SP will likely now finish with £95 mil.
    Mind you sometime early next year, don't be surprised to see the film, SW7 overtake both SP & SF.
    @mepal1, thanks. Is that the view in the UK at present? i.e. that SW7 can in fact take out both SF & SP? It seems like a tall order. Do you know if there is any place where we can see whether any previous SW film was a recordholder in the UK in the past?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Please, we're adults here, and most of you know by now how the rules work, whether you choose to agree or disagree with them. Let's try and retain some professional and courteous attitudes here; I've edited the usage of the f-word on the previous page, and it'd work wonders if we could simply stay on topic and not be at one another's throats over silly reasons.

@mepal1, would be nice seeing both SF and SP as the top two highest grossing films in the UK! Only a few more million to go.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,399
    bondjames wrote: »

@mepal1, thanks. Is that the view in the UK at present? i.e. that SW7 can in fact take out both SF & SP? It seems like a tall order. Do you know if there is any place where we can see whether any previous SW film was a recordholder in the UK in the past?

Yes........that is the current figure for SP in the UK.

Yes, the UK film trade wrote an article recently stating that they think its possible for SW7 to gross somewhere around the £110 mil mark. You should find a link to the article, some pages back here on this thread.

I'll get back to you later with info, on how previous SW films have fared in the UK, if i can find that info. I do know the original SW film was a massive hit in the UK.

Great. Thanks. I'm just curious to see if they were top 5 or anything during their time. I realize that their grosses would have been far surpassed by now.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 1,098
    For those of you interested in the UK all-time film lists, see the link below.

The furthest back the records go are to 1975. There are other charts around for films before this date, but the figures are somewhat estimates.

There are several tables from the BFI records.

Go to table 1.2 for Top 20 highest grossing films at the UK box office, 1975-2014 (inflation adjusted).

I was surprised to see that in the UK, 'Jaws' was a bigger hit than 'SW'.

I still can't get my head around the fact that the Pierce Brosnan musical 'Mamma Mia' is in that list. :-O

http://www.bfi.org.uk/sites/bfi.org.uk/files/downloads/bfi-top-films-of-all-time-june-2015.pdf

Enjoy the read. :)
    Thanks @mepal1. This is exactly what I was looking for. Fascinating. I didn't realize that Titanic still holds a slight lead over SF on an inflation adjusted basis (of course it probably includes the 3D release), and that Phantom Menace has a gross that exceeds the original SW (again due to 3D re-release most likely).

So it's by no means a sure thing that SW7 can take out SF, but the 3D gross (I'm assuming the film is 3D) should help.

It's interesting that Brosnan's Mamma Mia outgrossed QoS in the UK in 2008 as well. That must have stung EON.
    Thanks @mepal1. This is exactly what I was looking for. Fascinating. I didn't realize that Titanic still holds a slight lead over SF on an inflation adjusted basis (of course it probably includes the 3D release), and that Phantom Menace has a gross that exceeds the original SW (again due to 3D re-release most likely).

So it's by no means a sure thing that SW7 can take out SF, but the 3D gross (I'm assuming the film is 3D) should help.

Yes, the Titanic gross, does include the 3D release in 2012, and that also applies to SW.TPM.

Like, most countries i presume, the 3D prices here are noticeably higher, maybe an extra couple of quid per ticket.

Something else i found out recently, was that one of our big cinema chains in the UK i.e. 'The Odeon', had been charging the public and extra £2 for a standard ticket for the viewings of SP.

Something else i found out recently, was that one of our big cinema chains in the UK i.e. 'The Odeon', had been charging the public and extra £2 for a standard ticket for the viewings of SP.
    That's gouging for sure. I guess they can get away with it because I'm assuming ticket prices aren't regulated.
  • HASEROT wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Gentlemen, time-out please. This bickering is very entertaining but let's not get all ugly here. :) @Gustav_Graves, can you please remove that f-bomb, friend?

But "M" also said the words in "Skyfall" @DarthDimi. Anyway, I'm willing to remove it, if some moderators dare to address people like @Suivez_ce_parachute publicly as well. Otherwise I will keep it there.

I mean, you guys are here to maintain some 'positive spirit' no? And although everyone needs to react in complete freedom, I'm getting tired of the notion that one f-bomb creates more negativity in here than someone who knows how to articulate complete negativity towards one person. The latter ones sometimes are as poisonous as I am.

i think it goes a little beyond the F bomb GG... i think more of it could stem from your overzealousness in regards to SP.. you kind of went down the same path when SF came out... i am not saying you can't be positive and support what you like - but i think sometimes you slip into a passive aggressive behavior when someone has a differing opinion.. and then the bickering starts.

Yeah well. For the very same reason I get completely tired of the negativity in here surrounding the film. Perhaps I sound a pick. But I think SP needs a bit of counterbalancing. If I wasn't here, SP would easily be the worst Bond film ever.

I think people in here really suffer from "comparison sickness" and "over-analyzing OUR beloved films to death". For me the fun is gone. Everything people in here talk with nuanced words, but the result is: sheer negativity. It frustrates me.

If I was alive 30 years ago, being 33 back in 1985, watching films must have been such a better experience. It truly saddens me that people in here can't enjoy a Bond film anymore. Yuk!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm a huge fan of SP. I rate it a lot higher than SF. But I have made that point often enough already. ;-)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm a huge fan of SP. I rate it a lot higher than SF. But I have made that point often enough already. ;-)

You and I both. I've probably stated it a solid 1,000 times by now. ;)
  • DarthDimi wrote: »

Good for you. Nice to hear. But for me the "fun" and "entertainment" that the Bond films have is completely absent in here. Personally, on first watch, SP for me was a great experience. But when you constantly read, and I mean constantly, that the movie is shit, you're going to start to believe it yourself.

And again, I miss a positive vibe here. And I'm not asking for yea-sayers without criticism. But at least for a slightly more positive style in posting.

Creasy47 wrote: »

You and I both. I've probably stated it a solid 1,000 times by now. ;)

I guess we all have a film that we like to drag through a pool of mud from time to time. In my case, I have a few. By now people have read my rants quite often. I'm only getting away with that because I take sufficiently long pauses between said rants. ;-) So rather than repeat every day how ridiculous the AVTAK story is, I save my energy for one outburst every two months or so. ;-)
    Thank you @DarthDimi. I have noticed a little bullying, badgering and knocking member's opinions on here since SP was released. I don't think it's necessary, because everyone should feel free to express themselves & their view on the film & franchise without feeling intimidated or insulted.

It's nothing compared to fire and brimstone that came down on those who didn't like SF in 2012 - ah, those were the days!
    Remember with the world we live in today, with the internet, then there are forums with discussions on just about everything, so you are always going to get opposing views, and some negative comments. We just have to live with it.
    Regarding films, 20+ years ago you just went to the cinema, watched the film, and were just left with your own opinion of the film, and those of your family, friends and work colleagues.
    The SF bickering was just outrageous! Certain now ex-members felt the need to invade EVERY thread, even the ones not dealing with SF or Bond for that matter, with anti-SF gibberish. That, and the broken needle thing.
  • mepal1 wrote: »
    Remember with the world we live in today, with the internet, then there are forums with discussions on just about everything, so you are always going to get opposing views, and some negative comments. We just have to live with it.
    Regarding films, 20+ years ago you just went to the cinema, watched the film, and were just left with your own opinion of the film, and those of your family, friends and work colleagues.

I do think that negativity thrives better I. The social media era. We lost our talent, our quality to pinpoint positive things on this planet. I hate that!

How can news about Pluto and Ceres be as impopular as someone shifting on a toilet, whereas ISIS grabs us all, by brains and balls.
    The thing is, I don't think many people here dislike SP. I certainly don't although I've been accused of such. I'm actually looking forward to watching it on the blu ray and have seen it 3 times in the theatre. Many members who I have been discussing the film here have watched it at least twice. It's not my favourite Bond film by any stretch of the imagination, but it's certainly not the worst either.

At the end of the day, it is the most recent Bond film - the freshest one, and it's going through the ringer and being debated, as others have before it. I haven't actually seen much negativity towards SP, just critical discussion, which is to be expected on a fan forum. There is a difference, to me, betweeen the two.

I think the SF discussions were way more 'negative' up to just a few months ago, 3 full years after release. Fans of that film are probably glad that we've moved onto another target for discussion.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    I think the SF discussions were way more 'negative' up to just a few months ago, 3 full years after release. Fans of that film are probably glad that we've moved onto another target for discussion.

Yes, and now we replace that by SP.

As I said, to be expected on a forum dedicated to Bond. Each film goes through its time in the chair. SP's turn now, until we move on. The discussions have been lively, but I don't see negativity. I see criticisms and areas for improvement as well as positives. I saw the same in the SF discussions as well. Members have different views and they express them.....that's what makes it interesting. I've certainly learnt a lot from it, including things I didn't notice in my 3 theatre viewings.
  • HASEROT wrote: »

thats how CR was after DAD.. and how QOS was after CR.. and how SF was after QOS.. and now SP after SF.. and you know what, it'll happen when Bond 25 comes out.. and Bond 26.. Bond 27.. and so on..

best strap yourself in and get used to it.

There's one difference though. 2015 is not 2006. 9 years ago the social media environment was a tinyyyy bit different. To state this with some sarcasm.
    HASEROT wrote: »

thats how CR was after DAD.. and how QOS was after CR.. and how SF was after QOS.. and now SP after SF.. and you know what, it'll happen when Bond 25 comes out.. and Bond 26.. Bond 27.. and so on..

There's one difference though. 2015 is not 2006. 9 years ago the social media environment was a tinyyyy bit different. To state this with some sarcasm.

Actually in 2006 the internet forums had some very hostile voices towards the Bond world, and its star.

• mepal1 wrote: »
    HASEROT wrote: »

Actually in 2006 the internet forums had some very hostile voices towards the Bond world, and its star.

Until the movie appeared in cinema's, that's absolutely true yes.