Deadly attacks in Paris / Brussels / Nice (07/14/2016)

Comments

patb wrote: »
    "Some very valid points there but still doesn't explain to me why a guy sat in his bedroom in Bradford should give a flying f**k about what happens in Syria to the extent that he wants to blow himself up?"

Easy, they fight for the same cause. Those who want to play down the role of religion have a big problem explaining this. Those that focus on the role of religion have a very easy "in your face"explanation.
    Devotion to Islam on a global scale. By dividing up the World in terms of Syria, Bradford etc shows a lack of insight. There is one Islamic world and it has no boundaries.

So why can't Cameron admit that?

Anyway I thought it had nothing to do with Islam? But now you're telling me different? Surely it's the religion of peace isn't it?

Like Le Chiffre 'I'm a little confused'.

But Islam has nothing to do with it because the terrorists misinterpret the Koran and are thus no true Muslims. Although their anger is fueled by Western prejudice and racism towards their faith, and the mockery that say some secular cartoonists make of it, so in the end, they are wrong in the way they express their anger, but sort of justified about being angry. But it has nothing to do with Islam. No sirree no.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »
    One must not stay away now. The genie is out of the bottle unfortunately. Now there is a full on war and it must be won. However, I believe it must be won first and foremost by the locals.
    Could you give some example of this working
    You took only a part of my statement. You should have taken the next words in that statement so as not to lose the context. That is repeated below:
    Now there is a full on war and it must be won. However, I believe it must be won first and foremost by the locals. We should pick a strongman (in this case Assad is the one, even though he is hated by many) and supply him with the arms to finish the job, while providing air support. The Russians want to do this, but the US is saying that support must go to the 'free Syrian army' even though they have not even defined what that is.
    In the Sunni Arab Middle East, I can give you two examples of this working:

1. The first was after the first Iraq War in 1990. George Bush Snr (the smart one) left strongman Hussein in power and imposed a no fly zone. He did not destabilize the region. There was no trouble from Hussein until the 2nd Iraq War in 2003. The ISIL crew are actually a part of his Baathist party. Actually, many members of ISIL are ex-Hussein army that was disbanded after the US invasion in 2003 and left without jobs. That is why they are very well trained organizationally and know how to conduct military operations (strategic and tactical). Why do you think they are so difficult to defeat?

2. The 2nd example is in Egypt (sort of the start of this thing with the 'Arab Spring'......or Tunisia if you want). In Egypt, The US left original strongman Mubarak to fall. The Israelis were concerned that this could create instability, but the US (and Obama) thought that democracy should be allowed to work. Then the Muslim Brotherhood won the election and started to impose Islamic values. So the Army came back, this time with Abdel Fattah El-Sisi (US backed) and has basically shut down democracy and dissenting voice in that country. At least its stable.....for now. Muslim Brotherhood participants have even been assassinated in Egypt even though they were freely elected (a take no prisoners approach).

3. Syria - this problem could have been solved/ended 3/4 yrs ago if the West had just done the same thing there. I.e. let Strongman Assad clean up. Instead they started supporting and flaming the 'opposition'. They are on the wrong side of the fence with this one. Assad is the only man who can contain ISIL, for now, although it may be too late.
    -Do you remember the big plan to start a war there in 2013 after so called 'weapons of mass destruction' were used? The British Parliament thankfully vetoed that idiocy (they learnt from the Iraq debacle) and so America was out to lunch. It was also stuck in a major political pickle.
    -Who gave them (Obama/Kerry) a face-saving way out? Putin, by suggesting that a plan be put in place to dispose of the weapons of mass destruction.
    -However, they did not allow Assad to finish the job, and so ISIL got stronger. Now Russia has been forced in to do the job for them. Even just one month ago America was insisting that Russia was bombing the 'free Syrian Army' and not ISIL. If that is so then why was the Russian plane blown up, reportedly by ISIL? Other news outlets were saying that Assad was actually advancing on ISIL locations due to Russian airpower supporting him.

Let me give you examples where the other approach (Western bombing and meddling) without local support and without a strongman or a plan to 'win the peace' has categorically failed.:

1. Afghanistan - 13 yrs and counting
    2. Iraq - 12 yrs and counting
    3. Libya - 4 yrs and counting
    4. Syria -3/4 yrs and counting

There was a completely ridiculous notion and expectation that democracy would flourish once the strong man was disposed of. Imbecilic. Do you remember Cheney expecting the Iraqi's to welcome the Americans with flowers after Hussein fell? The same stupid expectations existed after Ghaddafi was toppled in Libya. The same kind of mess exists there now.

Bottom line: Sunni Arab countries have limited experience with democracy. They mainly know autocratic dictators. Many of them Western backed, sadly.

In such instances, the local population gravitate to the Islamists, because they provide a viable, if stringent alternative to the manipulated control of their leaders by the West. The lesser of two evils for the locals. The same thing happened in Afghanistan with the oppressive Taliban.

This pattern has played out several times before and each time it gets worse, namely:

1. Iran - 1979 overthrow of western backed Shah with Islamist Ayatollah
    2. Palestine - 2006 election in Gaza of Hamas
    3. Syria/Iraq - ISIL spreading

Michael Weiss, senior editor at The Daily Beast and co-author of “ISIS: Inside the Army of Terror.”, who has travelled to Turkey recently, stated that ISIL actually provides 'healthcare', 'rule of law - albeit Sharia via a penal code', 'city administration', 'tax collection' etc. in Aleppo and Raqqah. According to his analysis they are widely entrenched in the Sunni Areas that they control.

Fawaz Gerges, Professor of Middle East Politics and International Relations at the London School of Economics and Political Sciences (my alma mater) told Farid Zakaria of CNN almost 4 years ago that Assad was not going anywhere and that he had entrenched support among certain components of the Syrian population. This was at a time when American policy officials were saying he would fall in a year (wishful thinking again).
    Then, once ISIL has been exterminated (at great cost to the locals unfortunately) we then have to transition him out of power and open that economy up.

The idea that any opening of economy will help fighting war is the main idea for the last 100 years. Simplistic to explain, but not very predictable if you judge the results (well, unless you're the ones doing business with the terrorists, here you win indeed
    No, actually it is not. It is essential to preventing continued radical (and note the word radical) Islamist philosophy from taking hold in that region. However, it cannot be done the way the west has attempted to do it in the past, which is namely to overthrow a government and then either install its own dictator forever or pillage the place while it stays in a state of chaos. What it needs is a transition plan away from the dictator in an orderly fashion over a period of years. Easier said than done, but it must be attempted. The radical Wahabbist and Salafist philosophy will not take hold if the majority of the population see opportunity and if the economy is open.

I don't think that this can be done by the US/West alone. They have demonstrated a lack of 'good faith' and a continued inability to look outside their own oil driven interests. That is why counterbalancing superpowers must also be involved....Russia/China.

Sunni Islamist society is not incompatible with capitalism. Dubai is a perfect example of this.

Sadly, the lessons of the past 30 years may have shown people in that region that the approach of the Iranians (going it alone in an Islamist fashion) is the best way to achieve a result. After all, on their own, over the past 30 years, they have built an economy (despite attempts to shut them out of the banking system by the West) and their scientists have even gone so far as to develop Nuclear material (with Pakistani and Russian assistance). All this while they have been ostracized.
    That has to be coordinated with many powers involved....sort of like a Marshall plan for the area.
    The Marshall plan, that happened after countries were freed not by locals but by foreign armies ? They even cut a country in two... Sounds like a counter-example of your theory.
    No, it's not. The examples are not meant to be taken literally. All circumstances are different (especially ones that are 50 yrs apart and which are in different regions of the world). What I mean is that after the war has been won (and no one doubts the ability of Western air power and military might to eventually win this war), there has to be a coordinated plan by all the major powers (including Russia/China) to invest in and develop the region in a coordinated fashion. That foreign investment will create jobs and give the economies potential to grow, thereby reducing the control of the radical Islamists on the young population.

I don't recommend any of this taking place until the roots of a transition plan away from the dictators is in place. Without Russian involvement, the US/West will flounder and will not be credible. US/Russia/China/Iran all together will be sufficient to ensure that the plan can work.

However, this is not something that can start until the war is won conclusively, and until some form of 'dictatorship' or 'autocracy' is in place first to stabilize the place. Egypt would be a perfect example of a place where the economy should be gradually opened up now.....since Sisi is firmly in control of that place now.
    Some very valid points there but still doesn't explain to me why a guy sat in his bedroom in Bradford should give a flying f**k about what happens in Syria to the extent that he wants to blow himself up?

Syria is an utter irrelevance. If IS in Syria was all we had to worry about this could be over tomorrow with a couple of tactical nukes.

It's the cancer we have allowed to grow in our society that is the threat and you can turn Syria into the surface of Mars if you want but it won't stop tragic little wankers making bombs in their basements while dreaming of all those virgins they are going to get their hands on.
    I agree completely with you. As I said here before, when I lived in the UK 20 years ago, I could see the seeds of this sowing. At least Maggie kept a tight lid on things. Multiculturalism, as I said before, has failed. Mass immigration without assimilation has failed. People must be made to integrate.

Why are radical clerics (like Anjem Choudary for instance) allowed to spew their vile garbage in the Mosques. Free speech is one thing. Hate speech is another thing. Freedom to worship is one thing. Freedom to incite is another thing.

Every country has its issues with the Muslim communities. Chief among them is an inability to integrate. That must be insisted on.

Ironically, it's actually less of a problem in North America than it is in Europe.
    One must not stay away now. The genie is out of the bottle unfortunately. Now there is a full on war and it must be won. However, I believe it must be won first and foremost by the locals.
    Could you give some example of this working
    You took only a part of my statement. You should have taken the next words in that statement so as not to lose the context. That is repeated below:
    Now there is a full on war and it must be won. However, I believe it must be won first and foremost by the locals. We should pick a strongman (in this case Assad is the one, even though he is hated by many) and supply him with the arms to finish the job, while providing air support. The Russians want to do this, but the US is saying that support must go to the 'free Syrian army' even though they have not even defined what that is.
    In the Sunni Arab Middle East, I can give you two examples of this working:

1. The first was after the first Iraq War in 1990. George Bush Snr (the smart one) left Hussein in power and imposed a no fly zone. He did not destabilize the region. There was no trouble from Hussein until the 2nd Iraq War in 2003. The ISIL crew are actually a part of his Baathist party. Actually, many members of ISIL are ex-Hussein army that was disbanded after the US invasion in 2003 and left without jobs. That is why they are very well trained organizationally and know how to conduct military operations (strategic and tactical). Why do you think they are so difficult to defeat?

2. The 2nd example is in Egypt (sort of the start of this thing with the 'Arab Spring'......or Tunisia if you want). In Egypt, The US left Mubarak to fall. The Israelis were concerned that this could create instability, but the US (and Obama) thought that democracy should be allowed to work. Then the Muslim Brotherhood won the election and started to impose Islamic values. So the Army came back, this time with Abdel Fattah El-Sisi (US backed) and has basically shut down democracy and dissenting voice in that country. At least its stable.....for now. Muslim Brotherhood participants have even been assassinated in Egypt even though they were freely elected (a take no prisoners approach).

3. Syria - this problem could have been solved/ended 3/4 yrs ago if the West had just done the same thing there. I.e. let Strongman Assad clean up. Instead they started supporting and flaming the 'opposition'. They are on the wrong side of the fence with this one. Assad is the only man who can contain ISIL, for now.
    -Do you remember the big plan to start a war there in 2013 after so called 'weapons of mass destruction' were used? The British Parliament thankfully vetoed that idiocy (they learnt from the Iraq debacle) and so America was out to lunch. It was also stuck in a major political pickle.
    -Who gave them (Obama/Kerry) a face-saving way out? Putin, by suggesting that a plan be put in place to dispose of the weapons of mass destruction.
    -However, they did not allow Assad to finish the job, and so ISIL got stronger. Now Russia has been forced in to do the job for them. Even just one month ago America was insisting that Russia was bombing the 'free Syrian Army' and not ISIL. If that is so then why was the Russian plane blown up, reportedly by ISIL?

Let me give you examples where the other approach (Western bombing and meddling) without local support and without a strongman or a plan to 'win the peace' has categorically failed.:

1. Afghanistan - 13 yrs and counting
    2. Iraq - 12 yrs and counting
    3. Libya - 4 yrs and counting
    4. Syria -3/4 yrs and counting

There was a completely ridiculous notion and expectation that democracy would flourish once the strong man was disposed of. Imbecilic. Do you remember Cheney expecting the Iraqi's to welcome the Americans with flowers after Hussein fell? The same stupid expectations existed after Ghaddafi was toppled in Libya. The same kind of mess exists there now.

Bottom line: Sunni Arab countries have limited experience with democracy. They mainly know autocratic dictators. Many of them Western backed, sadly.

In such instances, the local population gravitate to the Islamists, because they provide a viable, if stringent alternative to the manipulated control of their leaders by the West. The lesser of two evils for the locals. The same thing happened in Afghanistan with the oppressive Taliban.

This pattern has played out several times before and each time it gets worse, namely:

1. Iran - 1979 overthrow of western backed Shah with Islamist Ayatollah
    2. Palestine - 2006 election in Gaza of Hamas
    3. Syria/Iraq - ISIL spreading

Michael Weiss, senior editor at The Daily Beast and co-author of “ISIS: Inside the Army of Terror.”, who has travelled to Turkey recently, stated that ISIL actually provides 'healthcare', 'rule of law - albeit Sharia via a penal code', 'city administration', 'tax collection' etc. in Aleppo and Raqqah. According to his analysis they are widely entrenched in the Sunni Areas that they control.

Fawaz Gerges, Professor of Middle East Politics and International Relations at the London School of Economics and Political Sciences (my alma mater) told Farid Zakaria of CNN almost 4 years ago that Assad was not going anywhere and that he had entrenched support among certain components of the Syrian population. This was at a time when American policy officials were saying he would fall in a year.
    Then, once ISIL has been exterminated (at great cost to the locals unfortunately) we then have to transition him out of power and open that economy up.

The idea that any opening of economy will help fighting war is the main idea for the last 100 years. Simplistic to explain, but not very predictable if you judge the results (well, unless you're the ones doing business with the terrorists, here you win indeed
    No, actually it is not. It is essential to preventing continued radical (and note the word radical) Islamist philosophy from taking hold in that region. However, it cannot be done the way the west has attempted to do it in the past, which is namely to overthrow a government and then either install its own dictator forever or pillage the place while it stays in a state of chaos. What it needs is a transition plan away from the dictator in an orderly fashion over a period of years. Easier said than done, but it must be attempted. The radical Wahabbist and Salafist philosophy will not take hold if the majority of the population see opportunity and if the economy is open.

I don't think that this can be done by the US/West alone. They have demonstrated a lack of 'good faith' and a continued inability to look outside their own oil driven interests. That is why counterbalancing superpowers must also be involved....Russia/China.

Sunni Islamist society is not incompatible with capitalism. Dubai is a perfect example of this.

Sadly, the lessons of the past 30 years may have shown people in that region that the approach of the Iranians (going it alone in an Islamist fashion) is the best way to achieve a result. After all, on their own, over the past 30 years, they have built an economy (despite attempts to shut them out of the banking system by the West) and their scientists have even gone so far as to develop Nuclear material (with Pakistani and Russian assistance). All this while they have been ostracized.
    That has to be coordinated with many powers involved....sort of like a Marshall plan for the area.
    The Marshall plan, that happened after countries were freed not by locals but by foreign armies ? They even cut a country in two... Sounds like a counter-example of your theory.
    No, it's not. The examples are not meant to be taken literally. All circumstances are different (especially ones that are 50 yrs apart and which are in different regions of the world). What I mean is that after the war has been won (and no one doubts the ability of Western air power and military might to eventually win this war), there has to be a coordinated plan by all the major powers (including Russia/China) to invest in and develop the region in a coordinated fashion. That foreign investment will create jobs and give the economies potential to grow, thereby reducing the control of the radical Islamists on the young population.

I don't recommend any of this taking place until the roots of a transition plan away from the dictators is in place. Without Russian involvement, the US/West will flounder and will not be credible. US/Russia/China/Iran all together will be sufficient to ensure that the plan can work.

However, this is not something that can start until the war is won conclusively, and until some form of 'dictatorship' or 'autocracy' is in place first.
    Some very valid points there but still doesn't explain to me why a guy sat in his bedroom in Bradford should give a flying f**k about what happens in Syria to the extent that he wants to blow himself up?

Syria is an utter irrelevance. If IS in Syria was all we had to worry about this could be over tomorrow with a couple of tactical nukes.

It's the cancer we have allowed to grow in our society that is the threat and you can turn Syria into the surface of Mars if you want but it won't stop tragic little wankers making bombs in their basements while dreaming of all those virgins they are going to get their hands on.
    I agree completely with you. As I said here before, when I lived in the UK 20 years ago, I could see the seeds of this sowing. At least Maggie kept a tight lid on things. Multiculturalism, as I said before, has failed. Mass immigration without assimilation has failed. People must be made to integrate.

Why are radical clerics (like Anjem Choudary for instance) allowed to spew their vile garbage in the Mosques. Free speech is one thing. Hate speech is another thing. Freedom to worship is one thing. Freedom to incite is another thing.

Every country has its issues with the Muslim communities. Chief among them is an inability to integrate. That must be insisted on.

Ironically, it's actually less of a problem in North America than it is in Europe.

Excellent post. Great point about ISIL actually bringing a semblance of government as well. They probably crack down on petty corruption as well to a certain extent. It's not unreasonable to assume they have significant support amongst many Sunnis in the areas they control.

Frankly the West have behaved like total morons. It's been clear for years that Iraq probably needed to be partitioned into Shia, Sunni and Kurdish statelets but everyone's to scared to say it. Iraq is a colonial invention, almost designed to be unstable - the British 'divide and rule' approach in action.

If we get rid of ISIL what are we going to replace it with? Does anyone expect the Sunnis to recognise the Shia led government in Iraq? It's never going to happen.

We need a new state, straddling eastern Syria and western Iraq. I was actually of the view that we should let ISIL get on with it and see what hAppens, but have realised that's not the best idea. There has to be a Sunni state there in some shape or form though.
    terrorism is mainly a political act, with political goals. Religion is a framework for it, but it is not alone. Nationalism or political ideology could be a fair substitute, for example. And has been plenty of times in recent history.

Blaming religion for violence excuses and denies our own countries' political actions and how they have contributed to that violence. Violence is inherent in the state.

the separation of religion and politics is a distinction drawn by Europeans, mostly Protestant, in the Modern period.This distinction does not fit the rest of the world.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited November 2015 Posts: 15,690
    Big shooting + hostage situation in a hotel in Bamako - 170 hostages and probably a lot of western tourists included.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 4,600
    Multiple reports that those who can quote from the Quran are being released and we can guess the fate of those who can't. Anyone still want to claim that this is not about religion?
    Plus this news from our friends in Saudi:
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/20/saudi-court-sentences-poet-to-death-for-renouncing-islam
    Plus anyone see this:

and more from the religion of peace:
    http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/main-topics/general-news/terrifying-video-shows-bradford-dad-attacked-by-pickaxe-thugs-for-converting-from-islam-to-christianity-1-7579804
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I know this isn't relevant to the thread's primary focus, but I thought some of you might enjoy this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34891928

Sanity, at last.
    Saw a US Democrat Representative on TV yesterday saying that the solution to Syria is getting rid of Assad.

Are these people insane? We're trying to combat ISIS and the Americans are still obsessed with getting rid of the one man who stands in their way.

We got rid of dictators in Iraq and Libya and the result has been total chaos and breeding ground for terrorists.

In Egypt they got rid of the dictator and then we supported the military when they overthrew the democratically elected president and brought back an army strong man. And yet in Syria the solution is apparently to get rid of Assad. There is absolutely no coherency or logic to western foreign policy.

The majority of the Syrian population still lives in the government controlled part of the country where there is still some semblance of order, and yet until very recently US and UK policy was to topple the government.

I am convinced we're governed by total idiots.
  • It has not much to do with bond, my friend.
    By the way, its all kind of a setup from the CIA. Strange isn't it?
    Just to start a war, actually. Pretty pathetic, right?
    "I am convinced we're governed by total idiots."

This much is certain. Our only hope is that ISIS are even bigger idiots.

Someone made a good point during an online debate:

"The only reason why things are not much much worse is lack of access to better technology."

The AK47 went into service in 1948. Just look what two of these can do plus ammunition can do at a concert venue.
    Anyone with a brain who is bent on creating chaos can do that these days. We live in an interconnected and interdependent world, so it's much easier for a perpetrator to do his dirty work with little weaponry. All that's required is malice and a brain.

I recently read that ISIL may in fact concentrate on smaller, localised coordinated attacks rather than try to duplicate an Al Quada 911 scenario, because there is more chance of being caught with the latter (due to logistical/communication issues).
    Getafix wrote: »
    The majority of the Syrian population still lives in the government controlled part of the country where there is still some semblance of order, and yet until very recently US and UK policy was to topple the government.
    You'll find that the primary reason for that is the Syrian government is buying it's weaponry and munitions from the wrong sources. Military Industrial Complex again.
  • So to summarize some comments : the terrorists prayed and shouted Allah Akbar for hours during the attacks, and hostages heard one remark by them about François Hollande. This somehow "proves" that religion has nothing to do with it, and that François Hollande, the French president, and therefore France, has got back what he deserved. Political correctness to the max, by people claiming to be the most rational ;(
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Religion isn't the reason, but it certainly is the tool.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Religion isn't the reason, but it certainly is the tool.

If it's not the reason, what is?
  • I heard an amusing joke the other day: blaming all Muslims for terrorism is like blaming all musicians for Ted Nugent. Give me a reason for Ted Nugent and maybe I can find you a reason for terrorism.
    Let's ask this a different way. If Religion is the reason (and the only reason), then why isn't every Muslim trying to kill every Christian or Jew?

Religion (in this case the radical subset known as Wahabbist Islamic doctrine, which is preached in some mosques and financed and spread globally and insidiously via Saudi Arabia primarily) is a reason and a tool. The most organized and mobilized tool to influence young, confused minds.
    "Let's ask this a different way. If Religion is the reason (and the only reason), then why isn't every Muslim trying to kill every Christian or Jew?"
    Because it's more complicated than that.
    "Let's ask this a different way. If Religion is the reason (and the only reason), then why isn't every Muslim trying to kill every Christian or Jew?"
    Because it's more complicated than that.
    Precisely. That's my point. There is certainly a small element of the Muslim population (usually younger men) in Western countries that is radicalized. It is known within intelligence circles that this is being funded primarily by Gulf kingdoms through mosques, but nothing is being done about it. Not sure why.

On top of that, ISIL videos (apparently on the internet) are showing western munitions killing & maiming muslim children in Iraq/Syria etc. That is a further recruiting tool for these youth in the West.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Let's ask this a different way. If Religion is the reason (and the only reason), then why isn't every Muslim trying to kill every Christian or Jew?

Lets ask this a different way - what's the common denominator between 9/11, Bali, Madrid, London, Lee Rigby, Paris?

Although fair enough on the whahabbists. The west's arselicking of Saudi Arabia is disgusting. If we want their oil so much I'd sooner we just invade them rather than ignore the fact that they're a more disgusting regime than Saddam or Gadaffi.
    Although fair enough on the whahabbists. The west's arselicking of Saudi Arabia is disgusting. If we want their oil so much I'd sooner we just invade them rather than ignore the fact that they're a more disgusting regime than Saddam or Gadaffi.
    Not just us wanting their oil. I think they were the #1 arms purchaser last year if I'm not mistaken. Sure helps the GDP of countries having a time getting out of recession. They are the UK's biggest export market for arms.

Guess where Assad gets his arms? Not UK/US. Coincidence? No.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/defence/11455304/Charted-the-worlds-biggest-arms-importers.html
    Yes it's a bizarre web of interests.

Also, even though Saudi is a big source of funding for a lot of the Islamonutters, their intelligence services have also helped the UK foil a large number of plots.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Yes it's a bizarre web of interests.

Also, even though Saudi is a big source of funding for a lot of the Islamonutters, their intelligence services have also helped the UK foil a large number of plots.
    Yes, that's true. The US took them to task and publicly embarrassed them about 10 years ago I recall and then they started cooperating more (but I wonder if it's lip service). They are very smart with this sort of thing and have infiltrated a lot of religious places of worship in Western countries with the most conservative of Muslim teachings.

That's why I love QoS more and more nowadays. That film more than any other had the balls to call it like it is when it comes to realpolitik. It's all about shared interests, not whether we're dealing with a 'nice' person or not. Bad Felix.
    I went to see Bridge of Spies tonight, superb. It reminded my that , with the cold war, we had two sides of the same coin. Despite political differences, there were still basic shared common values that enabled the two sides to communicate, bargain, negotiate, threaten etc and all within a shared and acknowledge context. It was a game of chess where the rules were respected. With religion, we lose that. No rationality, no reason and no negotiation. It's not a game changer: there is no game. Just an effort to rid this World of sinners and, in doing so, perhaps move on to a better World. Rational people from all over the planet can have decent discussions on thousands of forums like this but it's of little use. Only religion can make our life on this planet so relatively valueless compared to what happens next.
    You can look at other aspects like oil, poverty, politics, poverty etc etc but with all these, any war or conflict will be indefinitely easier to fight if your enemy is not delusional.
    “...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” Alfred Pennyworth
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 372
    Do we see Irish terrorists bombing or killing in other countries? Do you see black terrorists doing the same? Nope. Only islamic terrorists strikes like cowards to unarmed people, women and children who have nothing to do with whatever they fight for.

These people are non human beasts that need to be exterminated, plain and simple.
    Stamper wrote: »
    I heard an amusing joke the other day: blaming all Muslims for terrorism is like blaming all musicians for Ted Nugent. Give me a reason for Ted Nugent and maybe I can find you a reason for terrorism.

Do you see Irish terrorists bombing or killing in other countries? Do you see black terrorists doing the same? Nope. Only islamic terrorists strikes like cowards to unarmed people, women and children.

Irish Terrorists, Bask terrorists, German Terrorists, Dutch Terrorists, Italian Terrorists killed unarmed people, women & children. Those pesky Christians who did attack a Abortion clinic are also terrorists who kill people that help other people.

Terrorism is a minority tool to manipulate a majority to change their ways in what you consider the right way. Muslims, Hindus or Christians they all fail in their thoughts and actions when it comes to another way of life or thinking.

Religion (in this case the radical subset known as Wahabbist Islamic doctrine, which is preached in some mosques and financed and spread globally and insidiously via Saudi Arabia primarily) is a reason and a tool. The most organized and mobilized tool to influence young, confused minds.

Because not every Muslim is a fanatic. That does not mean the ideology behind the fanaticism of an Islamist is not... his religion.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I went to see Bridge of Spies tonight, superb. It reminded my that , with the cold war, we had two sides of the same coin. Despite political differences, there were still basic shared common values that enabled the two sides to communicate, bargain, negotiate, threaten etc and all within a shared and acknowledge context. It was a game of chess where the rules were respected. With religion, we lose that. No rationality, no reason and no negotiation. It's not a game changer: there is no game. Just an effort to rid this World of sinners and, in doing so, perhaps move on to a better World. Rational people from all over the planet can have decent discussions on thousands of forums like this but it's of little use. Only religion can make our life on this planet so relatively valueless compared to what happens next.
    You can look at other aspects like oil, poverty, politics, poverty etc etc but with all these, any war or conflict will be indefinitely easier to fight if your enemy is not delusional.

One thing I don't get with religious tossers is their whole schtick (well the main religions and certainly the two biggest trouble makers Islam and Christianity) is that this life is a load of bullshit and when you die you go and live in this amazing place and everything's just dandy.

So why don't you all just do the rest of us a favour and f**king hang yourselves?

If this life is nothing compared to the 5 star luxury of heaven why bother at all. Just get 200 paracetamol and hurry yourselves on the way.

• imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    I wonder though, since it happened, no one has asked this.... Not even the press. How did the shooters enter the Bataclan? It was a sold out concert and all, I would think there was some sort of security at the main entrance. Yet these cowards reportedly came in through the door of the main entrance with their guns and grenades and just started shooting at everyone? Am I the only one here that finds this to be rather odd?
This discussion has been closed.