Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• I'll take your prince Charles over pierce Brosnan any day!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Bale has ruled himself out, sadly.......advocates for Elba (jokingly perhaps):

http://metro.co.uk/2015/11/15/christian-bale-is-just-like-us-and-believes-idris-elba-should-be-007-5503286/
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The title of that article made me roll my eyes and groan. UGH! Hipster news.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 709
    Bale ruled himself out when he played Batman. Anyway, hm, I thought he might have advocated his former co-star Tom Hardy. He doesn't seem to be joking but it's hard to tell. You'd think maybe an actor who'd been in a similar franchise would have more respect about commenting on tabloid rumors of an actor being replaced. Still, as always, if you don't give anything but total enthusiastic agreement to the idea of Elba being Bond, you're an outcast.

And how come nobody's asking him if the next Batman should be black or gay?
    I never got Bale's appeal. Other than American Psycho, he's a total bore in everything else. I also thought his Batman/Bruce Wayne was weak.
    I thought Bale as Wayne had Bond written all over him personally. I felt we lost him to the Bat.
    I'm happy Daniel got the role instead. I think he's better suited to Bond.
    DC has been good no doubt, but I think Bale could have aced it from CR on, had he not been Batman. Oh well, it's done now.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    bondjames wrote: »
    DC has been good no doubt, but I think Bale could have aced it from CR on, had he not been Batman. Oh well, it's done now.

I agree but I prefer Craig. When was his first Batman released? 2006?

Elba: then its the will of the nation.

What a jerk. But then again, what else is new.
    He always did have an inflated opinion of himself. :O)
    And that is the reason, he wouldnt fit into the Bond family. Plus what some of us see as disrespect to DC. With this he ruled himself out IMO. Barbara wont be very forgiveable and we have seen with Daniel, that she rules the show.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 2,081
    Oh for goodness' sakes, gimme a break... *rolls eyes at that idiotic headline*... And their "story" is lifted from thedailybeast, whatever the hell that is... that original "article" there (consisting of short, out of context quotes from both actors, and a few lines written around them) sure was crap (surprisingly it includes a couple of facts, too), and we get the wrist slashing story again, hooray...

@dinovelvet, Bale wouldn't really "advocate" anybody for that role, and he already said years ago that Daniel is doing a great job at it when someone tried to suggest the role to him.

Actually, I hope Craig and Bale would work on something together, I imagine they'd have fun... (as would I)

Anyway, I'll never understand the media's obsession with "the next Bond"... They've been at it for years already, and I expect them to start on it again pretty much as soon as The Next Bond (poor guy) is cast... whenever that happens. --- And since the media goes on about "the next Bond" speculations all the time, it kinda made sense they asked Bale about it back in 2001, 2002, but if they're still asking shows they have no bloody clue about anything. Or maybe they just ask all actors they possibly can, especially before and after a new Bond movie is out, not necessarily seriously, but just to get something non-interesting to write about, gotta write something... In this case it's impossible to tell what was even asked and what the context was. There's just this no-story of an article. But the very idea that Bale would be "endorsing", "advocating" and "wanting" Elba for Bond is just beyond ridiculous.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited November 2015 Posts: 5,131
    Bale - Would have been good, but it's too late.

Elba - No. Bond is a white character. Period.
    Tuulia wrote: »
    Oh for goodness' sakes, gimme a break... *rolls eyes at that idiotic headline*... And their "story" is lifted from thedailybeast, whatever the hell that is... that original "article" there (consisting of short, out of context quotes from both actors, and a few lines written around them) sure was crap (surprisingly it includes a couple of facts, too), and we get the wrist slashing story again, hooray...

@dinovelvet, Bale wouldn't really "advocate" anybody for that role, and he already said years ago that Daniel is doing a great job at it when someone tried to suggest the role to him.

Actually, I hope Craig and Bale would work on something together, I imagine they'd have fun... (as would I)

Anyway, I'll never understand the media's obsession with "the next Bond"... They've been at it for years already, and I expect them to start on it again pretty much as soon as The Next Bond (poor guy) is cast... whenever that happens. --- And since the media goes on about "the next Bond" speculations all the time, it kinda made sense they asked Bale about it back in 2001, 2002, but if they're still asking shows they have no bloody clue about anything. Or maybe they just ask all actors they possibly can, especially before and after a new Bond movie is out, not necessarily seriously, but just to get something non-interesting to write about, gotta write something... In this case it's impossible to tell what was even asked and what the context was. There's just this no-story of an article. But the very idea that Bale would be "endorsing", "advocating" and "wanting" Elba for Bond is just beyond ridiculous.

I find the next Bond media speculation really annoying. It's so predictable - What about a black Bond? What about a female Bond? Forgetting that if Bond became female you are already creating a different character. But it does prove that the series is in good health though. if anything it does show that Joe Public has an interest in the franchise if the media think that people will read these predictions of the next Bond, get people talking about it. If the series was flagging none of this would happen because no one would care.
    MI-RN already did the female bond thing. It was absolutely brilliant imho. Ilsa Faust is as close as it gets. They should be satisfied with that.
    tigers99 wrote: »

I find the next Bond media speculation really annoying. It's so predictable - What about a black Bond? What about a female Bond? Forgetting that if Bond became female you are already creating a different character. But it does prove that the series is in good health though. if anything it does show that Joe Public has an interest in the franchise if the media think that people will read these predictions of the next Bond, get people talking about it. If the series was flagging none of this would happen because no one would care.

I'd say "annoying" is an understatement. Can't they think of anything else to write about? While I agree the constant speculation sort of proves there is interest in Bond, I don't think there would be less interest without it, and I feel it's sort of cheapening and even insulting what they're doing. It's frustrating that even when there was a new Bond movie coming out and now that it is out such a huge portion of attention is put on speculation about the next Bond actor; it comes up in interviews and articles all the time, as if that was the most interesting thing about Bond - and I suspect for the media maybe it is.

I think it's awful. As far as I know no other franchise is constantly put through a similar thing to the same extent - when there's a new movie the main attention is on the new movie, right? The main attention is on the actor playing the role, not on other actors suggested by someone to the role. Also, no other franchise is expected to radically change the lead character to be black or female or whatever. I don't take it as a compliment that a Bond actor is not allowed to just be Bond, without inquiries about when will you leave and who is next. And it's as if the character itself just isn't accepted to be what it is (even with some changes over the decades), but should become a different character in order to... what?
    tigers99 wrote: »

I'd say "annoying" is an understatement. Can't they think of anything else to write about? While I agree the constant speculation sort of proves there is interest in Bond, I don't think there would be less interest without it, and I feel it's sort of cheapening and even insulting what they're doing. It's frustrating that even when there was a new Bond movie coming out and now that it is out such a huge portion of attention is put on speculation about the next Bond actor; it comes up in interviews and articles all the time, as if that was the most interesting thing about Bond - and I suspect for the media maybe it is.

I think it's awful. As far as I know no other franchise is constantly put through a similar thing to the same extent - when there's a new movie the main attention is on the new movie, right? The main attention is on the actor playing the role, not on other actors suggested by someone to the role. Also, no other franchise is expected to radically change the lead character to be black or female or whatever. I don't take it as a compliment that a Bond actor is not allowed to just be Bond, without inquiries about when will you leave and who is next. And it's as if the character itself just isn't accepted to be what it is (even with some changes over the decades), but should become a different character in order to... what?

I agree.
    Christian Bale would have been a bore as Bond. He's overly ernest.

I think Craig has been a decent Bond although not one of my favourites. Where was Fassbender in 2005? That would have been interesting casting.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    If Fassbender had been Bond in 2006 he'd have tied Lazenby's record of youngest Bond (29 years old).
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Only other franchise where the media always ask "Who next?" is the US Presidency.
    If Fassbender had been Bond in 2006 he'd have tied Lazenby's record of youngest Bond (29 years old).

The only downside would have been we might have missed out on the other films he's done , which are usually fantastic. A brilliant screen actor. Much better than DC IMO.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 2,081
    Getafix wrote: »
    Christian Bale would have been a bore as Bond. He's overly ernest.

I think Craig has been a decent Bond although not one of my favourites. Where was Fassbender in 2005? That would have been interesting casting.

I don't know what you mean - he certainly isn't as a person, and as an actor he's hardly more "earnest" than Craig is. (If you simply just dislike him as an actor, that's another thing then, everyone has their preferences.)

Fassbender is indeed an interesting actor. He was doing tv stuff in 2005, his first feature film came out in 2007.
    Only other franchise where the media always ask "Who next?" is the US Presidency.

:))
    Getafix wrote: »

The only downside would have been we might have missed out on the other films he's done , which are usually fantastic. A brilliant screen actor. Much better than DC IMO.

That would have been a downside indeed. - As a Bale fan that's one of the reasons I'm glad he never got Bond, either. ;) And indeed as a Craig fan I wonder what he might have done without Bond.

Bond is... tricky.

• AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    I think it's a given that Fassbender would have nailed it if he'd been on EoN's radar in 2005. But I don't think he would have brought more to it than DC has. And Fassbender doesn't strike me as the type who'd stick around for 4-5 films, either, somehow...
    AceHole wrote: »
    I think it's a given that Fassbender would have nailed it if he'd been on EoN's radar in 2005. But I don't think he would have brought more to it than DC has. And Fassbender doesn't strike me as the type who'd stick around for 4-5 films, either, somehow...

another Irishman as well. Although at least Fassbender can do a proper English accent, unlike Mid-Atlantic Pierce.

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb

The longest franchise might be the Pope :))
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited November 2015 Posts: 1,130

So true

What if we(audiences) could vote for the Bond actor since now on?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Szonana wrote: »

I wouldn't be surprised if the general public voted for Pierce Brosnan to return once Craig quits.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Szonana wrote: »

So true

Well, depends on the candidates, but I think it's safe to say, Craig would never have become Bond, but Brosnan would have won in a landslide, Moore probably too.

We should be glad it's not a public vote though :))