Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• cwl007cwl007 England
    I think Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson have already seen their new Bond and if he is available when the time is right probably already know who it is going to be. History of casting Bond has taught us that they remember names from previous lists: Moore, Brosnan, Dalton.
    When CR was been cast they saw around 200 actors before whittling them down. The next Bond will be one of the younger chaps from that list.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    cwl007 wrote: »
    I think Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson have already seen their new Bond and if he is available when the time is right probably already know who it is going to be. History of casting Bond has taught us that they remember names from previous lists: Moore, Brosnan, Dalton.
    When CR was been cast they saw around 200 actors before whittling them down. The next Bond will be one of the younger chaps from that list.

I have to agree with this.

• Let's steer away from the "usual suspects" discussion shall we? History teaches us that those short lists presented by the media are usually rubbish.

I would like to propose a serious list of candidates:

- Emun Elliott
    - Charlie Hunnam
    - Dan Stevens
    - Richard Madden

Personally I think Kit Harrington could be on it as well, but a lot of fellow agents weren't interested. Candidates above fit the profile of a native English speaking, established actor who hasn't made it to an A-list status yet but do have potential and are in their early to mid-30's.

Please feel free to expand on the list/profile.

Hey good idea. Someone a while ago suggested Theo James, I had no idea he was English, but he'd probably be someone EON would look at.

And now someone I don't think anyone's mentioned - Clive Standen, he's on the Vikings tv show. Anyone else seen it? 6"2, 34 years old. What do you think?

0ba8e226c4b2524e42c016f80e6e1ae8.jpg
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Let's steer away from the "usual suspects" discussion shall we? History teaches us that those short lists presented by the media are usually rubbish.

I would like to propose a serious list of candidates:

- Emun Elliott
    - Charlie Hunnam
    - Dan Stevens
    - Richard Madden

Personally I think Kit Harrington could be on it as well, but a lot of fellow agents weren't interested. Candidates above fit the profile of a native English speaking, established actor who hasn't made it to an A-list status yet but do have potential and are in their early to mid-30's.

Please feel free to expand on the list/profile.

Hey good idea. Someone a while ago suggested Theo James, I had no idea he was English, but he'd probably be someone EON would look at.

And now someone I don't think anyone's mentioned - Clive Standen, he's on the Vikings tv show. Anyone else seen it? 6"2, 34 years old. What do you think?

0ba8e226c4b2524e42c016f80e6e1ae8.jpg

Im the one who suggested Theo James and maybe in a few years he could get thevroght age to be Bond but i like your pick of the guy from Vikings more gentleman good looks and less rough.

Like many here said the next Bond has to stay away from the Portrayal of Craig and give smething new and fresh.

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Truly nice choices ...but doesn't anyone shave anymore? Lol
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Beards and man buns are all the rage these days, for some horrible, unknown reason.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Beards and man buns are all the rage these days, for some horrible, unknown reason.

Beards are great, I don't think Bond should be clean shaven often anymore IMO. Maybe for a special event.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2015 Posts: 13,894
    I think Bond should be clean shaven all the time (well, maybe the odd occasion like DAD is fine). Otherwise, where is the line? Should his name be changed next?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Yes, I agree. A shave is a must for Bond.

SF was a little much for me, although it fit the plot, like it did for DAD. Maybe at the 60th anniversary he could let it go again.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    bondjames wrote: »

SF was a little much for me, although it fit the plot, like it did for DAD. Maybe at the 60th anniversary he could let it go again.

Yes Bond is all about being clean shaven except for some ocasions where the plot calls for it but other wise bond has to be clean shaven.

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    bondjames wrote: »

The ten year beard :)..

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bond hates facial hair, so that is that.
  • Mark_HazzardMark_Hazzard Classified
    - Emun Elliott
    - Charlie Hunnam
    - Dan Stevens
    - Richard Madden
    - Aidan Turner
    - Alex Pettyfer
    - Jack Huston
    - Theo James
    - Clive Standen

@cwl007 According to your theory/profile, Henry Cavill is a likely candidate. Besides him I can't think of anyone else who has been considered previously and has the right age.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Yes perhaps and of course I may be completely wrong. I just can't help thinking there will be other names they have previously considered that weren't made public at the time. Cavill of course was, he came runner up I believe.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    I don't buy the "fey" story. I've seen Hugh interviewed and we've seen what a bad ass screen persona he has when needed.
    hj-boy-fro-oz.jpg

It's called acting :)

@cwl007, some around here find Henry Cavill 'too wooden', but after watching The Man from U.N.C.L.E. I think he is great. Not sure what his obligations are towards DC/Superman.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/w_Ky4KPzKwY"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    He's certainly not as bad as some suggestions in the media. Still a bland safe choice for me though....another Brosnan esque choice.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The only chance he has now is because nobody (well....perhaps a few here and there) actually watched Uncle...
  • Oh God, him AGAIN? Cavill has zero chance, none. He is already playing a competing big screen action hero for the next 5 years. He already played an Ian Fleming created spy. How pathetic would that be if EON hired someone who failed to make much of an impression in a Bond wannabe?

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    There's a greater chance Craig will do 4 more Bond movies than Cavill ever being cast by EoN to take on the Bond role.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I can top that, sooner EON will bring back Pierce Brosnan as 007 for a remake of Skyfall than casting Cavill in the role of anything let alone Bond.

Not only has Cavill just had almost the biggest flop of the year and in addition a spy movie, but he will play Supes till the end of day (which is probably somewhere around 2022) :))
    Thankfully Cavill's opportunity at the role has passed. With his being committed to the DC films for quite some time, it's just not going to happen.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    I honestly can't take someone seriously if they think a 5'8" man will play Bond any time in the foreseeable future. It's as absurd as most of the "usual suspects" Bond suggestions. I wish we could have a moratorium on all the usual suspects actors. If someone mentions Cavil or Tom Hardy again I may...well probably just take another drink (good drinking game for this thread btw).

I think Bondjames may be right (as he usually is) that EON may feel they need to go in a different direction after Craig (ie not another blunt instrument) so they don't have as many unfavorable comparisons with him.

Dan Stevens is my current choice, but I'm not familiar with a lot of the names that have been mentioned.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    matt_u wrote: »
    What about Scottish actor Richard Madden? If Craig will star in B25 he'll have the right age to play 007 in B26 (2020/2021[?]).

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTU76ZKhcMeqdsZKNOJ_LKoakI5RExzqI6IMNCe9pjoTvJvGyowkw

Is he the actor from the new Cinderella?
    I like this picture of him but looks a little too young for Bond.

I don't understand all the Cavill hatred. Apparently he did well during screentesting for Campbell and BB, but was deemed too young.

U.N.C.L.E. did make some money, but probably did not make up for it's marketing budget in a tough movie season with M:I5 coming up and other movies like Mad Max and Jurrasic Park doing really well. However U.N.C.L.E. was received reviewed quite well by the critics. Those who haven't seen it should give it a try.

And now to light the fuse on this explosive situation: I can definitely see Guy Ritchie as a future Bond director.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Szonana wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    What about Scottish actor Richard Madden? If Craig will star in B25 he'll have the right age to play 007 in B26 (2020/2021[?]).

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTU76ZKhcMeqdsZKNOJ_LKoakI5RExzqI6IMNCe9pjoTvJvGyowkw

Is he the actor from the new Cinderella?
    I like this picture of him but looks a little too young for Bond.

He's a midget I'm afraid. Otherwise maybe.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I don't understand all the Cavill hatred. Apparently he did well during screentesting for Campbell and BB, but was deemed too young.

U.N.C.L.E. did make some money, but probably did not make up for it's marketing budget in a tough movie season with M:I5 coming up and other movies like Mad Max and Jurrasic Park doing really well. However U.N.C.L.E. was received reviewed quite well by the critics. Those who haven't seen it should give it a try.

And now to light the fuse on this explosive situation: I can definitely see Guy Ritchie as a future Bond director.
    TBH I would've been dead cast against Guy doing a Bond film, up until UNCLE. I think he did a terrific job, balancing modern times with the legacy of UNCLE. Whatever he'd do, i'd be way better then Tamahori...

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.

Thats the internet for you, there is plenty of hate for everyone.

I like Cavill, he seems like a very down to earth and respectful dude in private, and he always spoke highly of the Bond franchise. In one of the first interviews that i saw of him after becoming Superman, he said he still would very much like to be the next Bond.
    Even though that is pretty much impossible now, it would have been interesting to see what he would have done with the Character.

I have not seen U.N.C.L.E. so far, but look forward to it as soon as it is out on Blu Ray.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited October 2015 Posts: 2,138
    00Agent wrote: »

Thats the internet for you, there is plenty of hate for everyone.

I like Cavill, he seems like a very down to earth and respectful dude in private, and he always spoke highly of the Bond franchise. In one of the first interviews that i saw of him after becoming Superman, he said he still would very much like to be the next Bond.
    Even though that is pretty much impossible now, it would have been interesting to see what he would have done with the Character.

I have not seen U.N.C.L.E. so far, but look forward to it as soon as it is out on Blu Ray.

Cavill as Superman was a total anti climax. He was wooden, looked way out of his depths. Nowhere near the acting talent required to take Bond forward. Some are too pre-occupied with his looks alone, that's not going to be enough.
  • I don't understand all the Cavill hatred. Apparently he did well during screentesting for Campbell and BB, but was deemed too young.

I don't hate him, God knows I'd prefer him to be Bond if it comes down to him vs Idris Elba, Rupert Friend, Tom Hiddleston, to name but a few of the names I've seen on here. But I think his portrayal of Bond would be just OK, acceptable, sort of been there done that. I've seen Man of Steel and UNCLE and between those two you get a fair estimation of what he'd be like as James Bond. He'd be a choice that ticks all the boxes without bringing anything particularly new or exciting to the table.

I think EON will be aiming higher. Ritchie's best shot was probably during the Brosnan era. Madonna was in DAD, they had to have met Ritchie then...