Has Mission Impossible surpassed Bond?

Comments

NO
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    NO!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Not even remotely.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    No, because I've been a Bond fan for much longer than I've been an MI fan.

However, the MI franchise has come a long way, on the back of Tom Cruise's hard work and talent. It likely won't survive him (but it might).

Bottom line:
    - I'll take GE over the original MI in a heartbeat, even though MI-1 cost more. GE is a true Bond film in its purest form. It doesn't try to be anything but that, while MI-1 futzes about with formula (tv formula & characters) thinking it's smarter than it is, and messes it up (sound familiar?).
    -it's much closer between SP & MI-RN and quite frankly, on the action front, MI-RN has SP well and truly beat imho. It also has it beat on the fun factor, and it features a female lead who interacts with Hunt in a way that reminds me of the Bonds of old. It has sparkle.

Bond is lucky imho that MI likely won't survive Cruise.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    That's like saying Battlestar Galactica has surpassed Star Trek
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    That's like saying Battlestar Galactica has surpassed Star Trek
    Well put!

I'll answer this question after I've seen Mission Impossible 24.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

=D>
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    LOL.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    =)) great line !
    Yes -- but I qualify that by saying I've not yet seen SP.

For me, longevity has nothing to do w/it. I'm almost 50 yrs old & have been a huge Bond fan my entire life. I still am but..

for me, Ghost Protocol was the movie that took Bond's throne. I not only enjoyed it much more than SF, I found it to have better, more inventive action set-pieces and gadgets than even the best Bonds from the past.

Rogue Nation was similarly great (if not quite as inventive as Ghost Protocol) but I've not seen SP yet. Maybe Bond will regain his throne for me in SP.
  • Well put all, don't get me wrong I think currently that MI is better written than Bond, but it doesn't have the history & like Bourne we'll have to see if it survives the replacement of the leading man, Bourne didn't work so well so they're bringing back the main man, Bourne 6 could be their DAF..... :D
    Bourne didn't work so well so they're bringing back the main man, Bourne 6 could be their DAF..... :D
    I know you're joking, but it's very unlikely. Damon is not Connery. He's not coming back to cash a cheque for a charity. They're back because they (Damon/Greengrass) have a vision and a plan. That's the only reason they said they'd be back. I can assure you that Bourne is going to kick some serious 'a' next yr.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    No.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 709
    No, because when the series ran out of gas in MI3 (the lowest grossing in the series), it immediately came back deliberately more Bond-like, with a PTS-credits, Cruise in a tux, a Q ripoff character, a gadget car etc. Rogue Nation blatantly stole elements from QOS and SF, centered around London and MI6, and let's not forget it was originally slated to open in December; after the Sony leaks and plot details for Spectre were available on the internet, they switched the release date to July....wonder why...

Having said that, I enjoyed Rogue Nation. But like others have suggested, at the moment its basically Tom Cruise in Tom Cruise : The Tom Cruise series. When he steps down, will the series have any future I wonder. The Bourne series already had its Lazenby moment!
    gklein wrote: »
    for me, Ghost Protocol was the movie that took Bond's throne. I not only enjoyed it much more than SF, I found it to have better, more inventive action set-pieces and gadgets than even the best Bonds from the past.
    If it's of any help to you, I though Ghost Protocol was awesome, and FAR better than Skyfall, but I'd take SPECTRE over Tom's movie any day of the week & twice on Sunday.

:D
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 389
    Yes just spoofing, I think your right @bondjames, looking forward to Bourne 6 & MI6, even Kingsman sequal but even more so Bond 25, long live the exaggerated spy movie, so we can all escape the real world for a few hours.
    I understand that MI is now basically imitating classic Bond. For me, just like longevity, that has nothing to do with which series is currently better. For me, there's no question that MI has ripped-off Bond. The question for me is, what have they done with the stolen tropes?

I now look at MI as almost a separate (American) Bond series. I feel no need to be angry with MI for stealing Bond's tropes because Bond was never my financial property and, as a fan, I now get twice as many Bond movies. So, which "Bond" team is currently delivering the more entertaining movies -- the British Bond team or the American Bond team? Again, with the caveat that I've not yet seen SP, based on recent flicks, I've gotta say...

The American team -- hands down.
    MI is doing some of the Bond action scene imitations in a far superior/more inventive way to Bond imho (ironic given MI is imitating Bond, just as Bond is homaging old Bond).

The QoS Tosca ripoff in MI-RN was just a joy to watch. Absolutely brilliant homage (surpassed the original imho), and I actually preferred Hunt's fight at this location with the huge blonde henchman to the much touted Bond/Hinx
    Put it this way.........in 10-20 years time which out of the 2 franchises is still the most likely to be alive?..........it aint gonna be MI in my opinion!
  • gklein wrote: »
    I understand that MI is now basically imitating classic Bond. For me, just like longevity, that has nothing to do with which series is currently better. For me, there's no question that MI has ripped-off Bond. The question for me is, what have they done with the stolen tropes?

I now look at MI as almost a separate (American) Bond series. I feel no need to be angry with MI for stealing Bond's tropes because Bond was never my financial property and, as a fan, I now get twice as many Bond movies. So, which "Bond" team is currently delivering the more entertaining movies -- the British Bond team or the American Bond team? Again, with the caveat that I've not yet seen SP, based on recent flicks, I've gotta say...

The American team -- hands down.

Considering who produces both series, Bond by Americans & MI by Americans, your analogy doesn't hold water, BOND may be british but the films are pure Hollywood.

The thing I liked about SP that the MI movies haven't really been doing is the OTT action with an organic veneer. MI may have some slicker action in spots, but I feel like Bond sprinkled some imperfection into the mix, and I really like that.
    It's unlikely to eclipse Bond for me because I've never felt much inclination to watch any of them 'to check out the competition' unlike I did with the Bourne films.

It's a US franchise and I much prefer British espionage hence Spooks getting my money at the cinema this year - even though the MI trailer DID look intriguing.
  • RC7RC7
    Bond. James Bond.
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    Imitation is the best form of flattery. MI is imitating Bond, which means Bond earns a ton of props, but I'd be lying if I said I don't think MI is imitating well. It is, quite a bit in fact.

We're all Bond fans and this is a Bond discussion forum, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that the majority is resoundingly favouring Bond. That said, I listen to a lot of film podcasts and a recurring theme the past few weeks has been 'Rogue Nation beat SP to the punch and did it better'. Obviously I prefer Bond, but I think it's interesting to note that outside of the true blue fanbase like us, the debate is a lot more heated.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 389
    The sad fact is that in a lot of ways as I've stated on the forum before MI:RN was better written & better paced. I like SP don't get me wrong, certain individual scenes in SP are much better for there grandeur than MI:RN, but overall considering the difference in budget, I think RN is better overall.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 154
    Yep. MI puts more money on the screen. EON gives too much money to their current director, spends too much on cars that they're then too afraid to scratch, & blows too much upfront on the PTS instead of spreading the love through the movie.
  • Rogue Nation beat SP to the punch because they moved their release date forward. They had very similar plots, so whichever one came first was always going to appear fresher, and the second one gets the 'Hey isn't this the same as the other thing?' reaction.

"It's all a matter of perspective"
  • RC7RC7
    eddychaput wrote: »
    Imitation is the best form of flattery. MI is imitating Bond, which means Bond earns a ton of props, but I'd be lying if I said I don't think MI is imitating well. It is, quite a bit in fact.

We're all Bond fans and this is a Bond discussion forum, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that the majority is resoundingly favouring Bond. That said, I listen to a lot of film podcasts and a recurring theme the past few weeks has been 'Rogue Nation beat SP to the punch and did it better'. Obviously I prefer Bond, but I think it's interesting to note that outside of the true blue fanbase like us, the debate is a lot more heated.

The debate is heated because everyone likes an underdog. I'd take an overblown Bond over a slick MI. I like MI, but it ain't Bond.

Ed Sheeran might be writing more consistently reliable chart hits than Bowie, but I know who's better.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Ed Sheeran might be writing more consistently reliable chart hits than Bowie, but I know who's better.

OOoooo, unique & excellent way to put it!