SPECTRE--last Craig-era film?

Comments

• With how Spectre went, it seems like the Bond we expect with Dan is dying and we are getting the Stereo-typical Brosnan-eqs Bond coming through. I think its time for a change up. Daniel you are great and you have made most of us 007 fans extremely happy with your superb performances, in particular CR, but it's time to hang up the PPK.
    Those, who moan the loss of what they call " the new gritty DC Bond" should remind themselves, how MANY were oh so ready for the return to some of the ole fun and else. They got that now and I think, it was time. Too much of the same gets boring.
    I'm going to post on this site one last time, even though I said I wouldn't.

Some months ago, I posted that I had been told by Sam Mendes that this would be Craig's last Bond and, specifically, that something happened in the film that would make it "impossible" for him to return. I was subjected to a barrage of abuse, most consistently by mcdonbb, accused of being an attention-seeking fantasist, and only recently called a "nutter" by the member called timmer.

Having now seen SPECTRE, the film ends with
    the MI6 building destroyed, the 00 program terminated, Bond quitting his job and driving off with the girl who said he'd have to give up his job to be with her

It is quite clear that this is what Mendes was referring to. I'd also point you to this quote, from the Mirror, referencing the Kermode/Mayo interview, available online:

Asked about the movie appearing to have a “sense of completion”, Sam admitted: “I think there is and that is deliberate.

"We were both aware of that – and that is something we were eager to achieve as well.”

And for those insisting Craig's signed a contract:

Contrary to what the screen heartthrob said during an interview with Event, he revealed that he can back out from doing another "James Bond" film after "Spectre."

"There is no contract. It's up to me," he told The Sun. "I have the right to change my mind any time I want to."

I don't think any of this means Craig definitely won't return but I think it completely bears out my story, posted months before any of this came out.

It would be nice to see some kind of apology from the people who've been so unpleasant towards me but I doubt any of them have the grace to do that. I came to this site to share some information thinking that Bond fans would be interested. I've learned more very interesting things about the creation of SPECTRE and I would like to have discussed them with fellow fans of the series.

No doubt I should have retained a dignified silence but I'll admit that I am both offended and hurt by the reaction and do not like to be thought of as a fantasist. Whether it causes resentment or not, I am - to some extent - an "insider" in that I know several people involved with the franchise. Members of this forum might want to reflect on whether they wish to allow other members to drive away people like myself with their bilious comments. I can understand that some people didn't believe me but I would suggest it is both prudent and polite to keep an open mind, in future.

And that is my final comment on the matter, I promise.

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited October 2015 Posts: 2,138
    dmwalker wrote: »

Some months ago, I posted that I had been told by Sam Mendes that this would be Craig's last Bond and, specifically, that something happened in the film that would make it "impossible" for him to return. I was subjected to a barrage of abuse, most consistently by mcdonbb, accused of being an attention-seeking fantasist, and only recently called a "nutter" by the member called timmer.

the MI6 building destroyed, the 00 program terminated, Bond quitting his job and driving off with the girl who said he'd have to give up his job to be with her

It is quite clear that this is what Mendes was referring to. I'd also point you to this quote, from the Mirror, referencing the Kermode/Mayo interview, available online:

Asked about the movie appearing to have a “sense of completion”, Sam admitted: “I think there is and that is deliberate.

"We were both aware of that – and that is something we were eager to achieve as well.”

Contrary to what the screen heartthrob said during an interview with Event, he revealed that he can back out from doing another "James Bond" film after "Spectre."

"There is no contract. It's up to me," he told The Sun. "I have the right to change my mind any time I want to."

I don't think any of this means Craig definitely won't return but I think it completely bears out my story, posted months before any of this came out.

It would be nice to see some kind of apology from the people who've been so unpleasant towards me but I doubt any of them have the grace to do that. I came to this site to share some information thinking that Bond fans would be interested. I've learned more very interesting things about the creation of SPECTRE and I would like to have discussed them with fellow fans of the series.

No doubt I should have retained a dignified silence but I'll admit that I am both offended and hurt by the reaction and do not like to be thought of as a fantasist. Whether it causes resentment or not, I am - to some extent - an "insider" in that I know several people involved with the franchise. Members of this forum might want to reflect on whether they wish to allow other members to drive away people like myself with their bilious comments. I can understand that some people didn't believe me but I would suggest it is both prudent and polite to keep an open mind, in future.

You lost me at "I'm going to post on this site one last time" your post is so you can check back to see if anyone is willing to now accept your prior prediction that you passed off as having from Mendes himself. Do you know Mendes?, or is Sam Mendes the man who wanted to keep Blofeld reveal a secret going around telling random members of the public that Craig or Bond can't return because of the way SPECTRE ends. I think your clutching at straws having seen the film and feel it's backing up your predictions. It's a forum stop taking comments so personally. If you post such information claiming to have gotten from the director expect members to question you about it and expect members to ask you to evidence it.

I don't want to see any member leave.

FYI - Latest interview can be read here with Both Craig and Mendes together and it is far from clear either of them have said that it we are done, they both want time to enjoy life before deciding. http://entertainment.inquirer.net/182175/a-chat-with-daniel-craig-and-bond-film-director
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I hope you stay @dmwalker. I've enjoyed your insights, and any friend/colleague of Mendes is a friend of mine...

Having said that, you and @mcdonbb should make up. He didn't take too kindly to you suggesting he had an acne problem as I recall, understandably. A bit uncalled for on your part I'd say.
    Oh poor you. Maybe it was your wording, that STILL is NOT right. It IS possible for him to return. Whether or not he does is another question.
    So - you shouldn't have sounded all so definite, THEN you would have been right. Now you are not.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited October 2015 Posts: 9,117
    Daniel Craig is free to decide what he wants to do. If he wants to come back EON will be glad to have him if he doesn't there's nothing they can do about it.

All your claims of insider knowledge are fairly worthless unless you are Daniel Craig. What apology do you think you are owed since no one (possibly not even Daniel himself) knows whether he's going to do another one yet?

And for what it's worth I can't imagine Sam Mendes is in the habit of hanging around with the sort of people who bleat on Internet forums and betray information he has told them in confidence.

From the latest interview http://entertainment.inquirer.net/182175/a-chat-with-daniel-craig-and-bond-film-director

Daniel, producer Barbara Broccoli just said that she will never, ever let you go as James Bond.

Sam Mendes (S): As she’s clinging to his ankles (laughs)!

So, at this point, what are your thoughts on continuing as James Bond?

Daniel Craig (D): The truth, and I could bulls*** you here but I won’t, is that I have no thoughts about it. Sam, God bless him, just finished this movie and we have been working right up to the wire. All we have been doing is eating, thinking and drinking James Bond for two years. I don’t want it for a while. And what the future holds, I don’t know. That’s the honest truth.

Sam Mendes: I think that is very well put, actually. I feel like I made the mistake last time answering that question (about directing another Bond movie) straight away afterwards. Then I changed my mind because you are not really in a fit state to make those decisions when you just made it. You want to let the dust settle and let everyone watch the movie, respond and find out about real life again. It takes a while.

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

I did respond to your final post. Please stop singling me out. Yes stay voice your opinion.

I took great offense at your jab at me but at the same time I do not want to be at odds with any forum member that's here without a hidden agenda.

That being said neither Mendes or Craig have definitely said they aren't or can't return.

The producers themselves on live TV stated they wanted them both. So I will pretty much but respectfully disagree with your assertions that they can't.

I'm only asking now to please stop insulting me and I will do the same.

• StrangwaysStrangways London, England
    edited October 2015 Posts: 21

It is quite clear that this is what Mendes was referring to.

I'm a bit confused.
    It doesn't make it "impossible" for Craig to return at all. The ending works as a potential end to Bond's story but also leaves the door open for a sequel.

The last time Bond quit his job and drove off with the girl who said he'd have to give up his job to be with her was OHMSS and you will remember what happened there. [/quote]
    Strangways wrote: »

It is quite clear that this is what Mendes was referring to.

I'm a bit confused.
    It doesn't make it "impossible" for Craig to return at all. The ending works as a potential end to Bond's story but also leaves the door open for a sequel.

The last time Bond quit his job and drove off with the girl who said he'd have to give up his job to be with her was OHMSS and you will remember what happened there.
    [/quote]

You make a great point, sorry to be OCD with the response
    but "
    The last time Bond quit his job and drove off with the girl who said he'd have to give up his job to be with her was OHMSS and you will remember what happened there" is not entirely true, it was Vesper in CR but reached the same conclusion, which further adds to your point.
    Anyone who thinks this is Craig's final Bond simply because of the way this film ended is being completely daft. Sorry but it's true. That's like saying "Well that does it, Fleming just killed off James Bond. I can't believe this From Russia With Love novel. Where does he get off? What is he thinking!?"

Just because this film is borrowing heavily from something else and ends in a particular way means absolutely nothing. If anything that proves that EON may want to take a risk and shake up the established storytelling formula for Bond 25. Or they may just go in the direction of which they've already traveled with Spectre and do the most predictable of events to start us off next go around.

Essentially these same things could've been said at the end of Skyfall; "Oh well that's it, Craig is done. His arc is finished. No more of this "Becoming Bond" nonsense, he has his Q, he has his Moneypenny, he has a new M. Trilogy complete. What's done is done. Fade to black. Curtain falls. Ect, ect."

Considering this man Craig has gone back and forth about staying with the franchise publicly since well after Quantum of Solace, I don't care what anyone with supposed "sources" or anyone on the film crew itself says; no one knows what Craig will do except for Craig himself. Everyone else just wants to feel important or 'in the know' and get some recognition.

To put it bluntly, Craig gets a hard-on for deep storytelling and giving Bond a personal edge so it's only obvious the next film is more than likely going to include a
    revenge plot in the hopes of hooking Craig into the plot and putting on the tux again.

Daniel will certainly do a 5th movie without a doubt!
    Mendes and Craig will both be back. I would put my mortgage on it. Both have gone full circle in their comments following the end of SPECTRE and Craig's latest interview, the interviewer says "you will be sorely missed" Dan replies " I am not gone yet".
  • Nope. The job's done and the bitch is dead.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I too would be shocked if Daniel didn't do a fifth film, he now owns the role. He
    Looks so comfortable, I Honestly can't see him walking away. :)
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I posted a slightly different version of this in the appreciation thread, but I feel it's relevant for this thread as well.

After this years two Bondathons and seeing Spectre I finally have warmed up to Daniel Craig.
    He clearly has made the role his own and his evolution from CR to SP is amazing, although not flawless. SF clearly is the low point for me.

Craig is best when he kicks-ass, which he does a lot in CR and QOS.
    In SP he moves smooth and feels comfortable like Brosnan finally did in DAD.

Being a fan is an evolutionary process.

Up to last year I always watched the Bond movies chronologically.
    This year I did it randomly. QOS-SF-SP-CR with some other movies in between worked perfectly and elevates QOS to new levels.

After SP I want a fifth movie with Daniel Craig. If it is with Mendes again I can live with it as long as it goes in the same direction as SP does.
    P+W though should finally get the boot.

Spectre can't be the last in the Craig-era. It would be a crying shame. Now that EON realised that they have to go back to the style of the 90's and late 70's to 80's in a perfect mix with what they did since 2006 they have to continue.
    I too would be shocked if Daniel didn't do a fifth film, he now owns the role. He
    Looks so comfortable, I Honestly can't see him walking away. :)

Oh absolutely. He's uber confident with the role like Connery was in GF & TB.

I rather like the Rolling Stone's review comment:

"In a photo finish with Sean Connery as the best of the six movie Bonds, Craig comes out blazing. He's a blunt instrument in a creamy Tom Ford tux, alive with danger and sexual swagger."

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/spectre-20151104
    km16 wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks this is Craig's final Bond simply because of the way this film ended is being completely daft. Sorry but it's true. That's like saying "Well that does it, Fleming just killed off James Bond. I can't believe this From Russia With Love novel. Where does he get off? What is he thinking!?"

Just because this film is borrowing heavily from something else and ends in a particular way means absolutely nothing. If anything that proves that EON may want to take a risk and shake up the established storytelling formula for Bond 25. Or they may just go in the direction of which they've already traveled with Spectre and do the most predictable of events to start us off next go around.

Essentially these same things could've been said at the end of Skyfall; "Oh well that's it, Craig is done. His arc is finished. No more of this "Becoming Bond" nonsense, he has his Q, he has his Moneypenny, he has a new M. Trilogy complete. What's done is done. Fade to black. Curtain falls. Ect, ect."

Considering this man Craig has gone back and forth about staying with the franchise publicly since well after Quantum of Solace, I don't care what anyone with supposed "sources" or anyone on the film crew itself says; no one knows what Craig will do except for Craig himself. Everyone else just wants to feel important or 'in the know' and get some recognition.

To put it bluntly, Craig gets a hard-on for deep storytelling and giving Bond a personal edge so it's only obvious the next film is more than likely going to include a
    revenge plot in the hopes of hooking Craig into the plot and putting on the tux again.

I completely agree, I mean in 24 Jack Bauer 'dies' at the end of a season and is dying at the end of another.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 582
    I wonder if at this moment DC's head is telling him to walk away and his heart is saying to do one more.

If he did decide to quit now, he would at least have the distinction for a long term Bond actor of going out on a high (as opposed to doing a DAF, AVTAK, or DAD).

That is a good point, but I think Craig wouldn't be interested if his next Bond wasn't good. When offered the part he was reluctant, unless they were going to do something good with it. Might be partly why he's being evasive at the moment. Maybe.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    @DarthDimi

I have a question.

If the mods are going to close threads that have been operating for more than one day (some of which have several pages of interesting commentary from members which many of us catch up on in time) can they at least try to combine the threads and ensure that the comments get incorporated into the 'similar' thread?

If not, then can the thread be closed sooner, rather than letting it get established, and then closing it later which just seems a little unfair. It is difficult to 'quote' from a closed thread, and people tend not to go back and find comments from closed threads which support a discussion

I'm not saying that we need similar threads. I'm just saying that if they are to be shut down, then it would be nice to shut them down before they reach 13 pages like this one which you just closed (and which was opened in January, almost a year ago):

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/513943/#Comment_513943

Mendes and Craig will both be back. I would put my mortgage on it. Both have gone full circle in their comments following the end of SPECTRE and Craig's latest interview, the interviewer says "you will be sorely missed" Dan replies " I am not gone yet".

Remember back in 2012 - Mendes wasn't going to do another Bond, and look what happened. He's being deliberately vague this time around which suggests to me he's not ruling out the possibility, but doesn't want to promise anything either way.
    point is now, that he isn't just offered a script, he is the one, who - together with the director and writers - decides what to do and that alone is one hell of a piece of work.
    Like he said, his Bond bank is empty and unless its reloaded again, he won't do it.
    bondjames wrote: »
    @DarthDimi

I have a question.

If the mods are going to close threads that have been operating for more than one day (some of which have several pages of interesting commentary from members which many of us catch up on in time) can they at least try to combine the threads and ensure that the comments get incorporated into the 'similar' thread?

If not, then can the thread be closed sooner, rather than letting it get established, and then closing it later which just seems a little unfair. It is difficult to 'quote' from a closed thread, and people tend not to go back and find comments from closed threads which support a discussion

I'm not saying that we need similar threads. I'm just saying that if they are to be shut down, then it would be nice to shut them down before they reach 13 pages like this one which you just closed (and which was opened in January, almost a year ago):

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/513943/#Comment_513943

I agree.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    I think a lot depends if they can reach easily the break even and top, or fall short of Skyfall
    http://www.jborbisnonsufficit.com/2015/11/05/spectre-break-even-point/
    @DarthDimi

I have a question.

Yes, agreed. The threads aren't/weren't exactly the same (which was the reason given for closing it) and the mods having this rather draconian power over things is somewhat annoying. And rude.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 2,081
    tigers99 wrote: »
    @DarthDimi

I have a question.

I agree.

I agree as well. a similar thing happened a while ago when one of the most active threads on the forum just got shut down all of a sudden. That one hadn't been going for 10 months, but there was a lot of discussion in it, and I would have wanted to comment on new stuff that had been written even since I had last been there the previous day, but then just thought that oh well... I still think it was a shame we lost that thread, I bet there would still be discussion going, especially in light of new comments made on the issue by the man himself, Mr Craig. That thread would have been the natural place to comment on.

Is it really necessary to close down threads that clearly have a lot of discussion going (that previous case) or that have been going on for months before it gets decided that it's "not needed" (the more recent case)? Isn't that just limiting discussion? Does it even matter that much if threads are somewhat similar if they are active and healthy (=not war zones way off topic or something)? Who does it offend? Certainly if similarities are spotted right away, before there's lots of discussion, then fine, but otherwise... why shut things down?

Combining threads would obviously be fine if they are considered to be too similar. I'd support that - not that I know how easily that could be done.
    No...........i'am sure Craig will be back.............if he was gonna leave the franchise after SP, he would of turned up at the Premiere sporting a beard! ;)
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 389
    It wouldn't bother me either way if DC returned, Bond is bigger than any one actor, however I would like to see a change of Director/Writer, how about Christopher Mcquarrie for both roles, he's proved he can do it... MI:RN, plus he wrote The Usual Suspects.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @bondjames

Very well. I have reopened the thread. Problem is, we have the exact same discussion going on in two threads now.