SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

Full house is an understatement.
    The cinema complex shows Spectre today on ALL screens and not one other single movie!!!
    Every screening is completely sold out even on the smaller screens. I was in the 5 o'clock screening on Screen 1, it was sold out.

There is no way to get tickets for Spectre for the weekend anywhere which is incredible given the fact that it opened today on a record numbers of screens.

After the movie people were clapping, cheering and totally exhilarated. It was like the Swiss national holiday.
    I have to add though that the Swiss always loved James Bond.

Crikey. Sounds like you're having your own little Bondmania over there!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I have to add though that the Swiss always loved James Bond.
    Well he is part Swiss after all. Hopefully the Scots show similar pride.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @BondJasonBond006

How many screens? Glad to hear that audiences are enjoying it. I am wondering for UK members here, how are the screenings after more than one week. Are they still busy? Is the film having good word of mouth?

7 screens

33 showings Friday to Sunday.
    The only two other films that are shown once a day on Saturday and Sunday are The Martian and The Last Witchhunter.
    After what I experienced today at the cinema I have no doubt that Spectre will shatter all previous records in Europe.

The billion is a given. I'd go so far now to say that if the US audience likes it as much as it liked SF 1.5 billion can be possible.

Wouldn't be so sure.
    Germany is usually a major market. But when I went to see it yesterday (pre-premiere), it wasn't sold out and a few people left during the Mexico scene. No-one cheered in the end, and there wasn't a lot of excited chatter either. Just a regular movie crowd after a regular movie.
    Maybe it was because it was a Wednesday, or because it was in Englisch (which is, however, pretty common in bigger cities, and people who go see it in English usually do so because they love the original voices). But I'd say the hype, at least hereabouts, has yet to arrive.
  • In the end the BO decides the fate of SP.
    If it makes a billion and something, the rating can be 30%, it doesn't matter.

But if it doesn't hit the billion by a large margin, Spectre is in serious trouble to become Craig's DAD, DAF or AVTAK.

After what I've experienced today though, I'm pretty sure Spectre will make the billion easy.
    Really everybody I was talking to this evening told me they found Spectre to be much better than Skyfall!

It does matter:
    http://www.ew.com/article/2015/11/05/box-office-preview-spectre-peanuts-movie

With a theater count of 3,927, and a production budget of +$300 Million, you can not just say "Ooowh, "SPECTRE" will probably open with a weekend of $70-$75 Million. That's simply disappointing. It means the movie in the USA won't have legs to at least show longevity. It also means that, despite the profits, the average turn-over will be quite disappointing. Take into account the opening weekend of "Quantum Of Solace", which was $68 Million, and look at the price inflation of tickets, then an opening weekend of $70-$75 Million would, at least within the confinements of the offices of Gary Barber, Michael Lynton, Barbara Broccoli & Michael Wilson, would be a disappointment.

BUT....I'm ending on an optimistic note. It will open better this weekend than some very conservative predictions of $70-$75 Million. Soaring past the $80 Million must be possible. But like I said, I predicted before (@BondJames too ;-) ) I will be SO SO SO wrong with my previous predictions. I think what has happened this week, with all the new negative US-reviews coming, it must have an influence of the success in the States.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    $95m to $105m on weekend one stateside.

Forget these lowly predictions.
    In the end it doesn't matter if Spectre makes 200 million or 300 million in the US.

What's 100-150 million in an one billion and something Box Office.

Peanuts :))
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    bondjames wrote: »

If Bond does achieve that then yes they can market that as opposed to well it made less than SF. About 70% of the reviews here are positive and ok so 65% of critics plus the successful weekend number one film bragging rights boost then next weekend could be 54m.

SF and CR had legs so I can't predict audience reaction yet but SP might as well too.
    I'll be seeing it tomorrow and then can get a better handle on its possible staying power, despite reviews.

As I said a few pages back, $100m (or thereabouts) on weekend one and then it has to hold to max 55% drop (meaning $45m in weekend 2). If the drop is more than that, then we have a problem imho.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

Yes, these type of predictions annoy me by how safe they are. When Jurassic World opened far and beyond anyone's expectations the pundits all claimed that the outcome was 'obvious', yet they never mention anything BEFORE the film opens.
  • http://pro.boxoffice.com/featured_stories/2015-11-weekend-forecast-spectre-the-peanuts-movie
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4119&p=.htm

Both sites now lowered their estimates for the opening weekend of "SPECTRE". They will be in the range of $82-$85 Million. On a theater count of 3,927. This means some extensive loss in turnover as compared to "SkyFall".

I do have a question though. If "The Dark Knight" can do an opening weekend of $158 Million, and if even "The Dark Knight Rises" can surpass this insane opening weekend figure with a few million more, $161 Million, then why can't Bond do that ???

Anyway, let's not forget the box office figures from the rest of Europe, and especially not Mexico and China. The latter two countries will obviously do wonders to "SPECTRE" that "Skyfall" could not achieve.
  • bondjames wrote: »

Yes, these type of predictions annoy me by how safe they are. When Jurassic World opened far and beyond anyone's expectations the pundits all claimed that the outcome was 'obvious', yet they never mention anything BEFORE the film opens.

You tend to forget one aspect here. The closer the predictions are written before release date, the more realistic they are. 1/2 days before "Jurassic World" premiered, pundits already started to see something massive developing at the box office. Same with "Furious 7". And that's not the case with "SPECTRE".
    [
    I do have a question though. If "The Dark Knight" can do an opening weekend of $158 Million, and if even "The Dark Knight Rises" can surpass this insane opening weekend figure with a few million more, $161 Million, then why can't Bond do that ???

Because Bond fans stateside are not so ardent. They are fans, but for the most part, not the obsessive kind. Bond has a large, highly stable fan base here. They may not catch it in week one but they will eventually. That will be roughly about $200m worth of the ticket sales (that's the $160m baseline from DAD to QoS inflation adjusted / IMAX adjusted).

It's the remaining $100m or thereabouts that is the key. That is what SF brought in due to word of mouth. We could lose $50m or thereabout due to crap reviews, but still gain another $50m who learned about Bond through blu ray and tv.

So it's a tough call. I'm thinking about $250m to $300m overall, but maybe closer to $275m when it's all said and done.

This is all guesswork though.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,116
    [

Because Bond fans stateside are not so ardent. They are fans, but for the most part, not the obsessive kind. Bond has a large, highly stable fan base here. They may not catch it in week one but they will eventually. That will be roughly about $200m worth of the ticket sales (that's the $160m baseline from DAD to QoS inflation adjusted / IMAX adjusted).

It's the remaining $100m or thereabouts that is the key. That is what SF brought in due to word of mouth. We could lose $50m or thereabout due to crap reviews, but still gain another $50m who learned about Bond through blu ray and tv.

So it's a tough call. I'm thinking about $250m to $300m overall, but maybe closer to $275m when it's all said and done.

This is all guesswork though.

Batman also has a larger fan base here ..although I don't think as varied by age.

I never quite understood why more of those Batman fans aren't also Bond fans?

Nolan is also popular in the States so I would curious as to how a Nolan Bond film would perform here.

Not saying I want or don't want a Nolan Bond film now mind you. Just curious.

Im still standing at my 113m prediction =)
    Nolan and Bond would be box office gold. His detractors have to understand this. It's a win-win if one is concerned about box office. Even if the resulting film is garbage (it won't be) it would kill at the box office.
    @mcdonbb

hey, I'm as big a Batman/Justice League fan as I am a Bond fan as I am a Trekkie :))

But maybe I'm the exception ;)

Batman is a cultural icon worldwide since many, many decades, known to any young kid in every generation. My 5 year old daughter knows him and finds Batman The Brave And The Bold great!
    My 5 year old daughter knows him and finds Batman The Brave And The Bold great!

That's true. Bat gets them in early!

My 5 yr old and 7 yr old nephews are huge fans. They don't know who Bond is yet (their mother has insisted I not pollute their minds with Bond'age' until they reach a little more maturity!).

Maybe Bond needs a cartoon on the Nickelodeon channel over here running after Dora..
    My 5 year old daughter knows him and finds Batman The Brave And The Bold great!

That's true. Bat gets them in early!

My 5 yr old and 7 yr old nephews are huge fans. They don't know who Bond is yet (their mother has insisted I not pollute their minds with Bond'age' until they reach a little more maturity!).

Maybe Bond needs a cartoon on the Nickelodeon channel over here running after Dora..

My kids are 11, 10, and 9. They all want to see SP.

They saw bits of SF and thought everybody after the "grandma" was funny.
    My preview viewing in Germany was packed and there was a lettle clap afterwards. But Germans are not that much into clapping like Americans.

IMO the "problem2 some have with it is, that they expect a tone similar to SF and this is not it. You have to let yourself fakl into a different atmosphere here and when you do that, I think, you will very much enjoy it - or not, if you can't.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Nolan and Bond would be box office gold. His detractors have to understand this. It's a win-win if one is concerned about box office. Even if the resulting film is garbage (it won't be) it would kill at the box office.

What Would Nolan do with it though. With Batman he gave us a trilogy that Skyfall and Spectre take so much from already. Nolan said his next production is starting 2016 for a 2017 cinema release. For me Mendes and Craig's softened attitude on returning has my mind made up that they will finish the Craig era together. We wont see a new Bond director and actor until 2020 IMO.
    I saw the film tonight at a 7pm showing on Thursday evening (in the states) and the theater I was in wasn't that packed, not even halfway. I was in a 2D screening but overheard the IMAX showing was sold out. Although, the only time I've ever seen my local theater swamped was for The Dark Knight, Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises. Everything else, including Skyfall, was just normal attendance for my showings.
  • Is an IMAX ticket much more expensive in USA?
    Is an IMAX ticket much more expensive in USA?

My local theater is $9 for 2D and $15 for IMAX.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 582

What Would Nolan do with it though. With Batman he gave us a trilogy that Skyfall and Spectre take so much from already. Nolan said his next production is starting 2016 for a 2017 cinema release. For me Mendes and Craig's softened attitude on returning has my mind made up that they will finish the Craig era together. We wont see a new Bond director and actor until 2020 IMO.

My prediction: Bond 25 in 2018 directed by Mendes and with DC. Bond 26 in 2021/2022 with new director and new Bond

I think it was said somewhere that Nolan wanted a new Bond actor if he was to take it on (can't remember where I read that) so he could shape it his way. This is after he spoke with Babs and before Mendes came back. So I'm pretty sure Nolan is in the wings if Mendes chooses not to return (in which case I think Craig is out too).

I'm pretty sure he could come up with a variety of ideas to make Bond interesting. I do not underestimate Nolan. People sing Mendes' praise here, but he owes a massive debt to Nolan imho. His creative vision is very impressive and being a Bond fan, he will know how to make it work. My only concern with him is his casting choices (particularly women). I have not been a fan to be honest. Plus he uses the same actors over and over again which is tiresome.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 389
    km16 wrote: »
    Is an IMAX ticket much more expensive in USA?

My local theater is $9 for 2D and $15 for IMAX.
    Thanks, it´s a big difference. There isn´t a single IMAX thatre in my city :( , there is just an iSens thatre, which is good, but it´s not the same. A standard 2D is 8,20 € (9 $) and 3d or iSens are just 2 or 3 € more expensive.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland

I think it was said somewhere that Nolan wanted a new Bond actor if he was to take it on (can't remember where I read that) so he could shape it his way. This is after he spoke with Babs and before Mendes came back. So I'm pretty sure Nolan is in the wings if Mendes chooses not to return (in which case I think Craig is out too).

I'm pretty sure he could come up with a variety of ideas to make Bond interesting. I do not underestimate Nolan. People sing Mendes' praise here, but he owes a massive debt to Nolan imho. His creative vision is very impressive and being a Bond fan, he will know how to make it work. My only concern with him is his casting choices (particularly women). I have not been a fan to be honest. Plus he uses the same actors over and over again which is tiresome.

If Mendes does not return, as I said earlier Nolan has confirmed his next project goes in to production next Summer to be released the following summer. I doubt it is next Bond movie. I don't think with a likely new studio they will wait for a 2018/19 release to see a return. If it's Craig Mendes then I think the next film can come sooner as the delay on the last film was waiting for Sam to finish his other commitments (Charlie & The Chocolate factory and another theatre production) I reckon Next June if they confirm they will return there will be a production meeting late 2016, filming commencing Spring 2017 for a late 2017 release.
    Give the guy some credit, it's far too simplistic to think he would come in and turn Bond into Batman. These guys do have some form of artistic sensitivity. Bondjames made a good point re his bankability in the USA which could be a tipping point but lets not forget that he CAN direct movies. I can think of fair worse choices for the next project.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 2,081

I think he mostly casts well. I think with women the problem hasn't so much been the casting, but the writing at times, and even that really only in the TDK trilogy for me - I thought Hathaway was well cast and written, but the other women not really. I thought Cotillard was much better in Inception than in TDKR. Chastain was great in Interstellar, Moss in Memento, and Hall and Johansson were fine in The Prestige.

A lot of directors use same actors a lot and I've never thought that to be a problem in itself. The only one Nolan really has used "over and over" is Michael Caine, but I don't mind that, and especially since they've all been supporting roles, anyway, and he has fitted the roles. (And I quite like him, so I don't mind seeing him.)