Mendes for Bond25? he may not be done yet, would you want him?

Comments

Barbara is the boss still IMO. She makes all the final calls & decisions. Just watch any & all of the SF & SP interviews
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Barbara is the boss still IMO. She makes all the final calls & decisions. Just watch any & all of the SF & SP interviews

Barbara is the business head who deals with the studio and with Michael hires their Bond's and director but with Mendes they won't interfere in the creative aspect, bow the films out go look at the Sony leaked, everytime Sony propose something for the Film e.g the mobile phone Barbs replies I will discuss it with Sam and Dan. They said no originally to the phone being in the film to which Barbs writes back to Sony "Sam and Dan don't want to use the phone, they don't think Sony 's phones are the best and Bond would use the best". That takes guts to say to Sony we know your money is paying for most of thi film, but my director and leading man don't want your technology to promote it because it's not good enoug. It was clear from this alone Barbs was happy to let Mendes and Dan have creative control as she has faith in them to deliver the goods. It paid off in Skyfall and like Spectre or not it's breaking records and delivering $$$ = success.

As for comments about Martin Campbell. Best Director of the franchise since Young. But he's in his 70's I can't see him take on the pressure of the bigger budgets and pressure of success he's is the 1st outing king IMO.
  • EsotericEsoteric Poland
    Well... I haven't seen Spectre yet but it is obvious that Mendes did everything to top Skyfall. But will he be able to top Spectre and nail third movie? It would be hard, but on the other hand i cannot think of different persona to direct Daniel Craig's farewell with Bond.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I think Mendes could do a third and he's a smart guy. I agree with @Getafix that the biggest weakness in the last 3 movies and for the series in general is the script/screenplay. After the Logan debacle I'd like to think the producers and whoever's directing will have a much more transparent brief for the story and monitor the management of the screenplay's development a lot better. For Bond 25 I'm hoping for a hybrid of CR and SP tone wise.
  • RC7RC7
    edited October 2015 Posts: 10,512
    Esoteric wrote: »
    Well... I haven't seen Spectre yet but it is obvious that Mendes did everything to top Skyfall. But will he be able to top Spectre and nail third movie? It would be hard, but on the other hand i cannot think of different persona to direct Daniel Craig's farewell with Bond.

Given that SP isn't just SF reheated, far from it, I'd actually be more intrigued than ever to see what he'd do with a third and final film.
  • JNOJNO Finland
    I have to see SP before "making my mind" on this matter.

I absolutely love Skyfall and my mind is now playing tricks with me, Spectre-wise. I have read a bit too much about the film and the criticism already. My mind is rolling around.

Was it the only way to "top" Skyfall, by adding more jokes and spectacular action? By giving up the humanity of Bond (he got absolutely bruised in the earlier Craig films and that was just great, he´s a man after all!)? Heck, is there even a way to top CR and SF?

I hope Spectre delivers what it´s supposed to deliver, in a reasonable style. And I´m so terrified about the possible "secrets" to be revealed in SP, how Mendes & Co dealt with those things... I shall see tomorrow!

What concerns me more (than the directing), is the writing. This seems to be the real problem, there´s always too little time for writing and getting the scripts done properly. Something is always missing when the production should start. That´s a real shame.

If they are planning (this is just my speculation) to release the next film around 2017/2018, the writing should start in the beginning of 2016 and with a new face. Give the job to a good writer and let him do his job. Don´t call to Purvis & Wade in the middle of the process. Well, they tried this with Logan, I know.

Someone mentioned Forster earlier. I also wouldn´t mind him coming back. But give the poor fella a full script to shoot! He´s not a writer, you know.

I´ll write something down again when I have seen SP 3 or 4 times.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    JNO wrote: »

What concerns me more (than the directing), is the writing. This seems to be the real problem, there´s always too little time for writing and getting the scripts done properly. Something is always missing when the production should start. That´s a real shame.

If they are planning (this is just my speculation) to release the next film around 2017/2018, the writing should start in the beginning of 2016 and with a new face. Give the job to a good writer and let him do his job. Don´t call to Purvis & Wade in the middle of the process. Well, they tried this with Logan, I know.

No. Start writing the script now. The problem they always have is that rather than just making the film organically they always have the release date hanging over them like the sword of Damocles. So if there's something you are not happy with you have to make it up as you go along because shooting simply has to start on a certain date.

Hire someone in January (hopefully better than P&W - for me Gatiss has to get the gig sooner or later) and get them started on a script. Maybe even get a few different people and see what they come up with.

Then in Nov/Dec 2016 sit around a table with Mendes and DC (the noises they're giving off in interviews seem to say to me that they are prepared to come back after a rest. Having set Blofeld up they surely can't resist seeing it through) and see what you've got. Ideally there will be something there that is usuable which can be pulled apart/polished/pulled apart again/polished some more for the whole of 2017 ready for shooting to start in early 2018.

Worst case and all those scripts are shit you've still got all of 2017 to come up with something half decent.

Ok I get that commercially the release date is locked down so the only way to give yourself more time to craft the film is to start earlier.
    I would love Gatiss to come on board, at the very least, they could bring him in as a consultant with some ideas re plot, characters etc. I think he really knows Bond very well and would bring something new: great call. As with many Bond fans, I would hope that part of him is itching to have a go.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Agreed, I'm a big fan of Mark Gatiss. He knows his Bond. :)
    patb wrote: »
    I would love Gatiss to come on board, at the very least, they could bring him in as a consultant with some ideas re plot, characters etc. I think he really knows Bond very well and would bring something new: great call. As with many Bond fans, I would hope that part of him is itching to have a go.

Gatiss is someone I highly admire, however I feel with his style of wit and theatrics the films would go back to 70's Sir Roge. I think we need a gritty British thriller writer like Terry Hayes (I Am Pilgrim, year of the locust) combine that with a director like Kenneth Branagh (Thor, Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit) your on a winner IMO.
    Please sign up for another Sam. Just delivered two of my all time favourites. Nolan can wait.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    patb wrote: »

Gatiss is someone I highly admire, however I feel with his style of wit and theatrics the films would go back to 70's Sir Roge. I think we need a gritty British thriller writer like Terry Hayes (I Am Pilgrim, year of the locust) combine that with a director like Kenneth Branagh (Thor, Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit) your on a winner IMO.

You might be surprised. Watch Premium Bond currently on BBC iplayer where Gatiss discusses each of the Bond actors in turn. It strikes me as an audition tape for the job to me if Babs and MGW are watching.

He is quite scathing about Rog in places ('geriatric comedian') and very complimentary about Tim and Dan. Although he in the end he does play it safe and pick Sean as the best Bond.

But Sherlock mixes drama and comedy in a similar tone to what Mendes went for in SP so I dont thing we would end up with too much of a Roger film. Although Gatiss is very keen on his nostalgic fanboy nods and winks so that might have to be reigned in as I think I dont want more than we saw in SP which got it just about right without going to far for me.
  • JNOJNO Finland
    Gatiss?

I´m all in!!
  • Excellent news if Mendes does Bond 25. He has transformed the series.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Esoteric wrote: »

Given that SP isn't just SF reheated, far from it, I'd actually be more intrigued than ever to see what he'd do with a third and final film.

Agreed. Mendes has demonstrated his ability to adapt and not rehash and to make significant improvements. I'm sure with all the flaws of SP he'll take those into consideration and once again wow us with something different from while not compromising on the overall quality of another superb Bond film.

• NO.....NO.....NO Seen SP, Mendes has nothing more to offer.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited October 2015 Posts: 4,554
    Risico007 wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    I haven't seen Spectre but just looking at Skyfall no... true Spectre looks better then Skyfall (Look Color I haven't seen that in a bond film since Quantum of Solace) and I don't mind the plot twist as much as others do.

If I like Spectre as much as I hope I will say why not but honestly I am hoping someone else. Plus I am sick of one word S titles.

Good thing you don't work for EON.
    Good thing I am not condescending like you are.

It wasn't meant to be condescending. Sorry. Was kidding w/ you...I needed the smiley face icon. You're entitled to your opinion. Regardless, you don't actually think EON would tell SM "No" do you? No way.

If SM does come back, he will do so with even greater creative control. He will either have Butterworth write the whole thing or find someone who can.
  • RC7RC7
    NO.....NO.....NO Seen SP, Mendes has nothing more to offer.

SP would suggest otherwise imo.
    I haven't seen Spectre but just looking at Skyfall no... true Spectre looks better then Skyfall (Look Color I haven't seen that in a bond film since Quantum of Solace) and I don't mind the plot twist as much as others do.

If I like Spectre as much as I hope I will say why not but honestly I am hoping someone else. Plus I am sick of one word S titles.

Good thing you don't work for EON.
    Good thing I am not condescending like you are.

It wasn't meant to be condescending. Sorry. Was kidding w/ you...I needed the smiley face icon. You're entitled to your opinion. Regardless, you don't actually think EON would tell SM "No" do you? No way.

If SM does come back, he will do so with even greater creative control. He will either have Butterworth write the whole thing or find someone who can.

Ah sorry it sounded like you were being condescending. No I guess your right and Spectre does seem different then Skyfall. but for bloody hell stop with the S titles lol.

Would I be devastated with Mendes returning... no but I won't be terribly excited.
    In all honesty, if I had my way I'd get Gareth Evans to direct Bond 25 immediately.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    doubleoego wrote: »
    In all honesty, if I had my way I'd get Gareth Evans to direct Bond 25 immediately.

I'd sign him for 2 films on the spot - a more down to earth outing to start with, and then throw everything at the screen for one mother of a behemoth of a epic-scale sequel. The first Raid knocked my pants down, but nothing prepared me for the sequel. If 'The Raid 3' (coming in 2018) manages to blow Raid 2 out of the water... I will have no words on how much I want him to do a Bond film.
    I would happily have Sam Mendes back. Really enjoyed his 2 movies and it will almost certainly seal a 5th movie for DC.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.

You might be surprised. Watch Premium Bond currently on BBC iplayer where Gatiss discusses each of the Bond actors in turn. It strikes me as an audition tape for the job to me if Babs and MGW are watching.

He is quite scathing about Rog in places ('geriatric comedian') and very complimentary about Tim and Dan. Although he in the end he does play it safe and pick Sean as the best Bond.

But Sherlock mixes drama and comedy in a similar tone to what Mendes went for in SP so I dont thing we would end up with too much of a Roger film. Although Gatiss is very keen on his nostalgic fanboy nods and winks so that might have to be reigned in as I think I dont want more than we saw in SP which got it just about right without going to far for me.

I watched Premium Bond as well. Very good. Although you say playing it safe choosing Connery, I say well, of course. ;-)

If Craig comes back, I'll expect him to twist Sam's arm into coming back as well. I think they like the idea of doing a trilogy to rival Nolan's Bat trilogy.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Absolutely, if Craig's back I'm sure that Mendes could be persuaded to return.
    I really believe Mendes is the best choiche for the job out there. He is not only a very accomplished film maker, but he also understands and respects Bond and the franchises history. For me he brings the perfect mix of Bondian understanding and enthuiastic, personal flair. Mt hope is that both him, Craig and (without spoiling anything...) a few other notable characters, return in Bond 25 and continue where SP left off. SP has been described as the definitive conclution to Craig's Bond era. For me it begs and demands for a follow up.
  • JNOJNO Finland
    Well said @jobo

Couldn´t agree more!
    It's Dan and Mendes or neither. They started something they have to finish. A new director will want it done his way and I can't see Craig agreeing to return unless like Spectre Sam is on board.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 11,139
    Craig is a Bond co-producer now, a new director can come on board but Craig isn't just going to blindly take orders.

Also, if Mendes does come back, I hope he eases up on transitioning dark scenes to sudden blinding brightness as he's done in both SF and SP.
    It's Dan and Mendes or neither. They started something they have to finish. A new director will want it done his way and I can't see Craig agreeing to return unless like Spectre Sam is on board.

This. Mendes and Craig had said they needed to finish the story they started in SF but if anything rather than SP bringing closure to the Craig era it opens up a lot of possibilities for the next film.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    After Spectre it would feel totally unnecessary to bring Mendes back to do another half-hearted continuation.
    Craig deserves a standalone mission freed of old baggage with a visionary young director that can do something innovative with Bond.
    Or of course bring Martin Campbell back, if Eastwood and Ridley Scott can produce elaborate movies every year at their age, Campbell can do it as well.