SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

Making the news:
    ‘Spectre’ Shakes UK Box Office With $6.4M In Monday Previews

Sam Mendes’ sophomore outing at the helm of a 007 pic hit a jackpot at the UK box office in its opening previews last night. Spectre loomed large with $6.4M in 647 locations after starting showings at 8:15PM local, just a quarter of an hour after the world premiere began at London’s Royal Albert Hall. That didn’t beat Skyfall‘s opening day in local currency (£4.1M for Spectre, £6.2M for Skyfall), but that 2012 film saw its first shows on a full Friday. Spectre had about two screenings per location yesterday.

Related
    'The Martian' Orbits $400M Global; 'Straight Outta Compton' Nears $200M; 'Ghost Dimension' Solid - Intl...

This bodes well for Daniel Craig’s Bond which will continue previews this week while kids are off from school. The bar to hit at the weekend will be £20.1M which Skyfall achieved in its initial Friday-Saturday-Sunday rollout three years ago.

Rival distributors have been predicting that Spectre will have an overall take in the range of £35M ($54M) after the first full Monday through Sunday. Many believe Spectre could dip at the coming weekend making that Skyfall number hard to beat for the FSS. But this superspy-sized Monday number portends a strong week with full days’ worth of showings.

Every Bond movie is an event and there’s precious little else in the market to distract as others have steered clear. Although rival distribs believe Spectre won’t end its run in the same final £103M stratosphere as Skyfall, one today revised their stance on the opening frame, telling me, “It’s going to be huge.”

http://deadline.com/2015/10/spectre-uk-box-office-opening-1201595185/

I think SP will take the UK BO crown from SF............will get a much better indication after the reporting of the first weekend BO tally!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883
    mepal1 wrote: »
    I think SP will take the UK BO crown from SF............will get a much better indication after the reporting of the first weekend BO tally!

It's possible but we have to make sure we are comparing apples to apples. They have made that quite difficult by releasing SP on a Monday in the UK. MI-RN did the same thing in the US with its release date (i.e. a different day vs. MI-GP, to make the direct comparisons difficult).
    bondjames wrote: »

It's possible but we have to make sure we are comparing apples to apples. They have made that quite difficult by releasing SP on a Monday in the UK. MI-RN did the same thing in the US with its release date.

Exactly....i did realize that!

;)
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 11,119
    News stop after the UK and Ireland: The Red Carpet Premiere in The Netherlands. And it seems "SPECTRE" is going to shatter the previous record set by "Skyfall":
    http://www.nu.nl/film/4153287/al-70000-kaarten-verkocht-spectre.html

The article with Google Translate:
    A day before the Dutch premiere of Spectre are available in presale already 70,000 cinema tickets sold for the new James Bond film. Which runs from Thursday in a record number of 136 Dutch cinemas spread over 327 screens.

Spectre is Wednesday already premiered in Pathé Tuschinski in Amsterdam, in the presence of actress Léa Seydoux, actor Dave Bautista, producer Michael G. Wilson and dozens of Dutch celebrities.

In more than 150 venues Wednesday is a live connection to the red carpet in the capital. According to a spokeswoman for film distributor Universal Pictures International has so far sold more than 15,000 tickets for the first screenings on Wednesday.

Thursday on the opening night of the Dutch cinemas expect an even greater influx of Bond fans. "For the opening day, there are 20,000 tickets sold, including the night performances at 0:07 am in the night between Wednesday and Thursday," the spokeswoman of the film distributor explains."Since Tuesday there is really a substantial growth in ticket sales. We are way way ahead of the presale of Skyfall."

The news is especially important, since the theater count in The Netherlands has been tremendously enlarged:

"SPECTRE" opens in a record 136 theaters in The Netherlands this midnight (327 screens)!! "SkyFall" opened in 119 theaters across the country (211 screens). So that's massive!

Sony Benelux and distributor Universal Pictures Benelux are obviously aiming at breaking the previous "highest grossing movie in Holland", which is the phenomenon "Skyfall". That movie grossed $25,100,238 (I know, it's a little *beep* country :-P. But still, "Skyfall" stunned the Dutch box office back in 2012 and did much better than Mexico, Russia, South-Korea, Spain, Italy and Brazil).

No wonder The Netherlands is the 3rd country after Ireland and UK were "SPECTRE" will premiere. Sony/Universal sees Netherlands as a pivotal market among the 'small countries' :-).
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I hear in many interviews that Craig was paid 31 million dollars to star in SPECTRE and B25. If he is contracted to do another one after SPECTRE, does this mean he won't be paid the 31M unless he does B25? Or will EON have to pay him more money to get him to return? I don't really understand it. It seems like if EON have already paid him to star in B25 then he is contractually obliged, no. Would they really let him walk away with 31M of theirs without starring in both films like he agreed to?

• A lot of Spectre’s success will depend on word of mouth, and I am extremely curious what the word of mouth will be on this one. SP is in such an awkward position coming on the heels of SF, because there are many who will inevitably be disappointed by the fact that it’s lighter in tone and isn’t, in effect, SF2. But there will also be many who are thrilled about that fact, who either didn’t like SF or at least don’t want its downbeat tone repeated. I also wonder if the title and the “old-school” vibe will help lure older fans who have strayed from the series in recent years.

Time will tell!
    News stop after the UK and Ireland: The Red Carpet Premiere in The Netherlands. And it seems "SPECTRE" is going to shatter the previous record set by "Skyfall":
    http://www.nu.nl/film/4153287/al-70000-kaarten-verkocht-spectre.html

The article with Google Translate:
    A day before the Dutch premiere of Spectre are available in presale already 70,000 cinema tickets sold for the new James Bond film. Which runs from Thursday in a record number of 136 Dutch cinemas spread over 327 screens.

Spectre is Wednesday already premiered in Pathé Tuschinski in Amsterdam, in the presence of actress Léa Seydoux, actor Dave Bautista, producer Michael G. Wilson and dozens of Dutch celebrities.

In more than 150 venues Wednesday is a live connection to the red carpet in the capital. According to a spokeswoman for film distributor Universal Pictures International has so far sold more than 15,000 tickets for the first screenings on Wednesday.

Thursday on the opening night of the Dutch cinemas expect an even greater influx of Bond fans. "For the opening day, there are 20,000 tickets sold, including the night performances at 0:07 am in the night between Wednesday and Thursday," the spokeswoman of the film distributor explains."Since Tuesday there is really a substantial growth in ticket sales. We are way way ahead of the presale of Skyfall."

The news is especially important, since the theater count in The Netherlands has been tremendously enlarged:

"SPECTRE" opens in a record 136 theaters in The Netherlands this midnight (327 screens)!! "SkyFall" opened in 119 theaters across the country (211 screens). So that's massive!

Sony Benelux and distributor Universal Pictures Benelux are obviously aiming at breaking the previous "highest grossing movie in Holland", which is the phenomenon "Skyfall". That movie grossed $25,100,238 (I know, it's a little *beep* country :-P. But still, "Skyfall" stunned the Dutch box office back in 2012 and did much better than Mexico, Russia, South-Korea, Spain, Italy and Brazil).

No wonder The Netherlands is the 3rd country after Ireland and UK were "SPECTRE" will premiere. Sony/Universal sees Netherlands as a pivotal market among the 'small countries' :-).

70.000 tickets pre-ordered is quite impressive as up today.

A lot of Spectre’s success will depend on word of mouth, and I am extremely curious what the word of mouth will be on this one. SP is in such an awkward position coming on the heels of SF, because there are many who will inevitably be disappointed by the fact that it’s lighter in tone and isn’t, in effect, SF2. But there will also be many who are thrilled about that fact, who either didn’t like SF or at least don’t want its downbeat tone repeated. I also wonder if the title and the “old-school” vibe will help lure older fans who have strayed from the series in recent years.

Time will tell!

I think it's very simple:

"SP" will do to "SF" what "The Dark Knight Rises" did to "The Dark Knight" :-).

It will be more cr@p, I do hope not.

SaintMark wrote: »

We are talking about box office :-P.

I know but I do not like the comparison between the Batman movies as I want SP to be better than SF, which does not require a great deal. As for BO I could not care less unless SP is an actual improvement. Looking forward seeing it this week/weekend at such time as the daughters are available to come along.
  • RC7RC7

I know but I do not like the comparison between the Batman movies as I want SP to be better than SF, which does not require a great deal. As for BO I could not care less unless SP is an actual improvement. Looking forward seeing it this week/weekend at such time as the daughters are available to come along.

SP is better than SF imo.
    RC7 wrote: »

SP is better than SF imo.

:-O

Damn....you make me horny now.

I believe that the examples you've used actually help to make my point from earlier. In terms of films that have created a 'mania' which is necessary for the 'oversize' box office:

1. Jurassic World - this was 100% nostalgia. Everyone in my family saw it and loved it, including myself. It was a throwback to the first one. Brought back memories and all that jazz.......irrespective of reviews. My point from my earlier post about one possible necessary element (positive nostalgia) in order to bring in repeat viewings and the big business

2. Furious - this was 100% about emotional resonance (my other point from earlier). People connected to the Walker situation, irrespective of reviews. Otherwise there was really nothing to differentiate this installment from the previous two (which were arguably better). Walker's death created that resonance

3. SF - this was about two things imho. Emotional resonance (themes about getting old and irrelevant, and also about M's death......continued importance & relevance of Britain in this century) and positive nostalgia (DB5, some of the older Bond tropes such as MP & Q etc., the office....elements from long ago coming back etc.). The reviews in this case were also great, and did not hurt the box office

4. The final element I suggested earlier could create a 'mania' effect is some sort of good or bad controversy - where people just have to see the film. Perhaps 50 Shades of Grey had that and this allowed it to make more money this year than it should....I'm not sure.

5. Oh, there appears to be 5th element as well - some Disney cartoon is almost guaranteed yearly top 5 (e.g. Minions or Inside Out)
    ----

If a film doesn't have those above elements but is still a good film (with good reviews), then it does excellent business no doubt, but doesn't cross over into the mega $$ (which in this case we can safely say is $1bn+). A recent example is MI-RN, which was very well reviewed and did good business globally but nothing excessive.

SP - does it have any of these elements really? I'm not sure. The reviews for the most part seem to suggest that it is a very good, entertaining Bond film but without anything to really cause that emotional connection. I'm not hearing it in any of the reviews to date (from either MI6 members or from critics). There is a 'nostalgic' aspect since some of the Bond tropes are back in even more effect this time.....but I believe for the general public, SF already brought those back 3 yrs ago.....we (the Bond fans) are just more demanding (e.g. gunbarrel at the start, Bond theme, Blofeld etc.). I don't think those things mean that much for the general public.

I too am a ludicrous fanboy.....

Great analysis @bondjames ... I believe that SP has the (1) nostalgia factor (gun barrel, car chase, classic henchman, DB5, and of course Spectre and the villain's lair. Plus, we can argue that since this could be DC last bond the (3) 'emotional resonance'. Maybe, they know this and that is why DC is being so cagey. Finally, could there be a (4) 'mania' effect due the sony hacks (bad controversy?
    mnhettia wrote: »

Great analysis @bondjames ... I believe that SP has the (1) nostalgia factor (gun barrel, car chase, classic henchman, DB5, and of course Spectre and the villain's lair. Plus, we can argue that since this could be DC last bond the (3) 'emotional resonance'. Maybe, they know this and that is why DC is being so cagey. Finally, could there be a (4) 'mania' effect due the sony hacks (bad controversy?

Thanks @mnhettia. I haven't seen it yet (have to hold out until the 6th) so can't comment beyond a general hypothetical analysis.

It's possible that SP has all the necessary elements (I agree with your comments noting examples of how it could in fact all be there....).

I think we'll only know as we go into the 2nd and 3rd weeks.....to determine whether it's really getting repeat viewings from beyond the 'hardcore base' (who seem to love it for the most part, with only a few feeling it's a little cookie cutter).

What I'm not getting from reading the fanbase reviews though is a sense of real hysterical enthusiasm.....beyond what one would typically expect from us (all of us hardcore fans....) for a new Bond film...especially one that has been 3 yrs in the making.
    Dunno, many were enthusiatic, but as it always happens, those with critics, who are a minority, but more vocal seem to force others to start defending their liking. I don't see a big difference to SF in that, but its bizzare - as if it is much cooler to be overly critical instead of enjoying the ride. Always been like that.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It will make 1,3 billion.

Uneducated guess, like everything else here.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Box Office: 'Spectre' Already Breaking U.K. Records

The 24th Bond film took in $9.2 million on its first full day, the biggest Tuesday box-office haul of all time in the U.K.

After a stunning $6.4 million opening night in the U.K. on Monday night, Spectre is now outpacing its record-breaking predecessor Skyfall and breaking records at the U.K. box office.

On Wednesday, it was revealed that the 24th Bond film had amassed $9.2 million on its first full day, the biggest Tuesday gross of all time in the U.K. and bigger than Skyfall's first-day gross three years ago.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited October 2015 Posts: 4,116

Thanks @mnhettia. I haven't seen it yet (have to hold out until the 6th) so can't comment beyond a general hypothetical analysis.

It's possible that SP has all the necessary elements (I agree with your comments noting examples of how it could in fact all be there....).

I think we'll only know as we go into the 2nd and 3rd weeks.....to determine whether it's really getting repeat viewings from beyond the 'hardcore base' (who seem to love it for the most part, with only a few feeling it's a little cookie cutter).

What I'm not getting from reading the fanbase reviews though is a sense of real hysterical enthusiasm.....beyond what one would typically expect from us (all of us hardcore fans....) for a new Bond film...especially one that has been 3 yrs in the making.

I was hoping you had already seen it. I always admire you opinion even if I don't always agree.

You're not "slumming" in the States are you?

OK, I'll jump in, pure gut reaction without the more clever number crunching:
    0.9 billion
    So that's 15 million US off less than two days? This thing may be bigger than we thought :-O
    mcdonbb wrote: »

I was hoping you had already seen it. I always admire you opinion even if I don't always agree.

You're not "slumming" in the States are you?

Thanks @mcdonbb. Likewise.

No, I'm residing in Canada presently. I used to watch the Bonds in Leicester Sq in the UK on the day they were in general release so I'm quite ticked off that they have these staggered release schedules these days. We seem to be getting the short end of it in North America.
    SP certainly stands a very good chance of surpassing SF at the UK box office, for a start SP has the advantage of playing on more screens (as more multiplex cinemas are built each year), plus obviously ticket prices are a little higher.
    Looking at the re-emergence of Bond since 1995's Goldeneye, each subsequent Bond film has outperformed its predecessor, well upto 2008's dismal QOS, where poor word of mouth affected the films grosses, after its initial very strong opening weekend.
    My view is i don't think SP will not have a bad word of mouth problem............and i could see the film surpassing SF's $160million.
    If SP grosses a similar amount of money as it did for Tuesday on Wednesday & Thurday, then by the start of the official opening weekend on Friday.......the film could of grossed around $33-34 million..........then the really big box figures will be attained on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Whether it will be a new UK opening record, not sure, because by then quite a lot of people would of seen the film during these preview days!
    SP certainly stands a very good chance of surpassing SF at the UK box office, for a start SP has the advantage of playing on more screens (as more multiplex cinemas are built each year), plus obviously ticket prices are a little higher.
    Looking at the re-emergence of Bond since 1995's Goldeneye, each subsequent Bond film has outperformed its predecessor, well upto 2008's dismal QOS, where poor word of mouth affected the films grosses, after its initial very strong opening weekend.
    My view is i don't think SP will not have a bad word of mouth problem............and i could see the film surpassing SF's $160million.
    If SP grosses a similar amount of money as it did for Tuesday on Wednesday & Thurday, then by the start of the official opening weekend on Friday.......the film could of grossed around $33-34 million..........then the really big box figures will be attained on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Whether it will be a new UK opening record, not sure, because by then quite a lot of people would of seen the film during these preview days!

TND grossed less than GE too.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 1,098

TND grossed less than GE too.

Sorry NO it didn't.................TND had a higher UK gross than GE

GE grossed nearly £17.4 million.............TND grossed around £20 million

Though GE did have a higher worldwide gross. :)
    I was referring to Worldwide gross. Sorry for the confusion.
    SP certainly stands a very good chance of surpassing SF at the UK box office

What you're indirectly saying then is that SP has a very good chance of becoming the top grossing film in the UK. That's quite a feat if it can pull it off. I don't know how often a successor film from the same franchise has toppled its immediate predecessor at the top of any box office. If it happens, it will be great marketing.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 1,098
    I was referring to Worldwide gross. Sorry for the confusion.
    .....OK...........'WillyGalore'...........what a name! :)
    edited October 2015 Posts: 7,966
    If SPECTRE does break the UK record, then it will surely break 1 Billion WW. After all the film can make 100 million less than SF and still break a billion. I'm starting to think @GustavGraves was right all this time! :)]