SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

mepal1 wrote: »
    Possibly............but there are always big films released over xmas. The question, is apart from SW are there any other potential big hits to be released this coming xmas, which will take away screens from SP?

Mockingjay pt. 2
    The Good Dinosaur
    I much prefer SP to SF. I personally couldn't understand why SF was so popular. I just can't quite imagine SP getting the same weird buzz that SF got. Plus there is a lot more competition this year.
    Some here are saying that SF had it easy at the BO..........well in the US it didnt. In the films 2nd weekend SF faced the launch of the latest Twilight film, and SF's box office took a hefty knock that weekend, and the Twiglet film (as i call it), continued to dominate the US boxoffice for the next couple of weeks............but probably due to good word of mouth for SF, the film managed to leapfrog the Twiglet film, to retake the BO crown in either its 4th or 5th weekend (can't remeber exactly which one).............which is quite a rare event for a film to do!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Some here are saying that SF had it easy at the BO..........well in the US it didnt. In the films 2nd weekend SF faced the launch of the latest Twilight film, and SF's box office took a hefty knock that weekend, and the Twiglet film (as i call it), continued to dominate the US boxoffice for the next couple of weeks............but probably due to good word of mouth for SF, the film managed to leapfrog the Twiglet film, to retake the BO crown in either its 4th or 5th weekend (can't remeber exactly which one).............which is quite a rare event for a film to do!

Yes I remember that. It was quite impressive. The Hobbit also didn't quite meet expectations, which helped SF as well I think. I remember SF having good buzz and the Hobbit having average to poor buzz, compared to its storied predecessors.
    bondjames wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I think the school half term is definitely a factor in helping.

Yes, I heard this could be a factor. I don't think it is coincidental.

Smart commercial thinking ;-). Hence a rather 'weird' Monday premiere ;-).
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I think the school half term is definitely a factor in helping.

Yes, I heard this could be a factor. I don't think it is coincidental.

Smart commercial thinking ;-). Hence a rather 'weird' Monday premiere ;-).

Also, its been a smart thing to have the film open in the UK before North America, as the studio will know the UK will generate large BO opening figures, which look good in the American trade sites such as Variety & The Hollywood Reporter, thus giving the US public an indirect incentive to go and see the film on top of the reviews!

Judging on everything that's been going on these few weeks at the Boxoffice...I am pretty sure SPECTRE will pass 1b dollars.

One other question I like to ask to everyone in here. Don't you think that...2015 so far also brought a revived, new popularity to cinema visits again? In other words: Do the insane successes of all these ludicrous -but fun- blockbusters not help each other driving to new box office heights? Could people perhaps think....."aaaah well, seen 'Jurassic World' and 'Furious 7' now......might also do one of these Bond flicks".

One other question I like to ask to everyone in here. Don't you think that...2015 so far also brought a revived, new popularity to cinema visits again? In other words: Do the insane successes of all these ludicrous -but fun- blockbusters not help each other driving to new box office heights? Could people perhaps think....."aaaah well, seen 'Jurassic World' and 'Furious 7' now......might also do one of these Bond flicks".

Well for people in the UK where Bond was a Christmas Day TV tradition I'd say some people will make a special point of seeing a Bond film. If Austerity Britain can have audiences for blockbuster tat like JW and Furious 7 they'll certainly scrape the pennies together for Bond.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited October 2015 Posts: 4,116
    Blank post I spazed

• Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    And on Wednesday, it took in a record-breaking $8.8 million for an early cume of $24.5 million.

That's the biggest Wednesday gross ever in the history of cinema in the UK.

via 'The Hollywood Reporter'
  • RC7RC7
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    And on Wednesday, it took in a record-breaking $8.8 million for an early cume of $24.5 million.

We love our Bond.
    Wait 'til this sucker hits Friday / the weekend!!! Then we'll see some serious sh!t

In respect to the recent passing of BTTF's 30 years :D
    Red_Snow wrote: »

Thanks for the update 'Red_Snow' :)

Spectre still going strong.........these are very impressive mid-week figures, when you consider most of the population are at work or shopping , so its really the evenings that will account for most of the films daily take.
    SP should do around $8-9 mil Thursday as well.................then we come to the all important 1st weekend, difficult to judge, coz quite a few people would of seen the film by then, but anyway its still going to be huge. :)
    Now the rest of the world needs to follow that. Well done, Britain ;)
    Germanlady wrote: »

Thanks 'Germanlady'............outside of the UK, Germany is Bond's biggest European market.

Britain's little brother Netherlands is following suit ;-). Box office records have been smashed there as well. Topping "Skyfall" easily. Although one needs to remark that the theater count compared with "Skyfall" has been enormously expanded.

Plus, let's not forget/underestimate the interest and goodwill created by SF

Britain's little brother Netherlands is following suit ;-). Box office records have been smashed there as well. Topping "Skyfall" easily. Although one needs to remark that the theater count compared with "Skyfall" has been enormously expanded.

Yep.........the Dutch love Bond, so do the Scandinavian countries, plus Austria and Switzerland.
    The Southern European countries.........not quite so big on Bond, where Italy and Spain post decent BO for Bond, but nothing to write home about.

As, i said in my previous post Germany is Bond's top mainland European market........then France, but the French BO for Bond has never been that special in relation to their population.

• RC7RC7

Let's be fair, the Dutch wouldn't know a days work if it walked over and sparked up their joint.

Yep.........the Dutch love Bond, so do the Scandinavian countries, plus Austria and Switzerland.
    The Southern European countries.........not quite so big on Bond, where Italy and Spain post decent BO for Bond, but nothing to write home about.

As, i said in my previous post Germany is Bond's top mainland European market........then France, but the French BO for Bond has never been that special in relation to their population.

Here in Spain you still can't buy tickets for "SPECTRE" in pre-sale. Whereas "Star Wars 7" and "Hunger Games 4" have been on presale for a staggering one week now.

It does tell you something...about cultures though. Southern Europe is facing more difficulty with the European financial crisis. So perhaps countries like Spain and Italy are in more need of fantasy and escapism. And don't get me wrong, James Bond is escapism too, but it's at least set in the real world; it's more realistic.
  • EndCredit007EndCredit007 EGYPT
    Britain celebrates its Righteous son
    I live in the UK and i'am getting on a bit now............but i know the Hunger Games films are very popular in the US and quite a lot of other places too.
    BUT...........in all honesty i've never met anyone in the UK who has ever talked to me about this franchise, not so much as a squeak, and i've never met anyone who's been to see these films.............and i would probably hate someone if they ever did talk to me about this franchise! :))
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited October 2015 Posts: 8,076
    I live in the UK and i'am getting on a bit now............but i know the Hunger Games films are very popular in the US and quite a lot of other places too.
    BUT...........in all honesty i've never met anyone in the UK who has ever talked to me about this franchise, not so much as a squeak, and i've never met anyone who's been to see these films.............and i would probably hate someone if they ever did talk to me about this franchise! :))

:)) Let me agree with you on that one!

Also I would like to add that SPECTRE has smashed my own box office expectations. Hopefully it can keep going like it is as it opens into other major territories [-O<
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

Thanks 'Germanlady'............outside of the UK, Germany is Bond's biggest European market.

Are they all hoping Blofeld wins the battle!!! Ha ha.
  • I think it'll do great business because it's Bond & people all over the world will want to see it, however SF was pushed along on the crest of a wave produced by the olympics & that video, Britain & Bond were popular & cool in 2012, maybe we're not as blessed right now, so I don't IMHO believe SP will do as great, but it won't be a flop that's for sure.
    It would be interesting for the future of the series if SP does better the performance of SF at the box office. We'd have to consider more what elements the general audience is attracted to rather than look to the boost from the Olympics and the 50th anniversary.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Cowley wrote: »
    It would be interesting for the future of the series if SP does better the performance of SF at the box office. We'd have to consider more what elements the general audience is attracted to rather than look to the boost from the Olympics and the 50th anniversary.

I made a few observations earlier about what factors I believe can lead to an oversize box office scenario:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/508814/#Comment_508814
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Cowley wrote: »

I made a few observations earlier about what factors I believe can lead to an oversize box office scenario:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/508814/#Comment_508814

Welcome back @bondjames ...not that you were gone. Sorry I missed your response... never said thank you.

Anyway I'm unsure yet how SP will perform. I'll read your post linked above and watch and see.

I am not expecting 1 billion ...expecting about 70% of SF's gross.