Thomas Newman (stay/go)

my personal opinion is he has had his time. get someone else for bond 25. leave your opinion below

Comments

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I really like Newman's Skyfall and Spectre scores.

Spectre's score is kind of a refinement of the Skyfall score, and the new cues he had added are pretty good. Yes, I would have liked more Bond theme but you can't have it both ways I suppose.
  • If Craig and Mendes do another, id like him to stay as the similar themes that appear work for Craigs' Bond. If they change actor, id bring someone else in to do the music.
  • I don't think it's as simple a question as stay or go...

I love Newman's scores in general, like his Bond scores less... but what I don't like about them is what he does during the long action setpieces - the generic action score strings and percussion (David Arnold did this as well), his more lyrical passages and his more unusual cues (Bass flute playing the JB theme etc) are really nice.

I'd like to see the Bond films returning to a more classic 60s style of score. If they did that, then Thomas Newman would do it really well. But they won't, because studios seem to like the pounding scores to really drive home that it's an action film - it's a different way of doing things than the 60s (and the films are cut completely differently too).

So I'm going to say, to give a simple answer... Stay. But if he were to go, I'd like to see them moving in a different direction. I suspect that what people don't like about the scores is not Newman's decision but what's reached at with the producers, Mendes and the studios.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited October 2015 Posts: 1,727
    He clearly doesn't give one iota about Bond, so why should he be be given the chance to evolve? You don't give an athlete the chance to fulfill his potential if he never displays any...
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    As Noël Coward might have said: 'Go! Go! Go! Go!'
  • DariusDarius UK
    edited October 2015 Posts: 354
    I get the impression that Sam Mendes has an association with Thomas Newman, and it could well be that Mendes agreed to do one more on condition that Newman provided the music. This may well be why Newman seemed to be resting on his musical laurels when it came to scoring SP. Many on these forums have levelled criticism of Newman for stylizing his SP score around his SF score -- maybe even copying in places. If this is the case, then he has to go. If it means parting company with Mendes as well, then that's okay too since from what I've heard, he will be very unlikely to agree to do a third Bond, and if his association with Newman is a condition of doing a third, then it is definitely time to part company because we neither need nor want a composer readily willing to rest on past glories.

One of the best things about past composers, such as John Barry and David Arnold, is that each score, while retaining the composer's unique signature, have had their own personalities and their own dynamics, related directly to the subject material. Such has not been the case with the score of SP, sad to say.

Most of us have thoroughly enjoyed SF and SP, so maybe it is time to exalt these works for what they are and move on to something fresh and exciting.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    It's either for me. If he comes back, I'm fine with that because I liked his scores and it would be nice to have him cap off Craig's run, so that when a new actor is selected they can also find a new composer too.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Newman is a talented composer, but I don't think he " gets" Bond.
    While Arnold, seems to know ( only my opinion) what is needed in
    a Bond film, when to have soft reflective music and when to belt out
    a fantastic action set piece.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 1,727
    DrGorner wrote: »

An understatement if ever there was one.
    I'd go one further - he doesn't CARE about Bond, either, besides just not 'getting' it.

David Arnold lacked the talent to construct layered scores with subtle orchestration, but he could never be accused of not CARING.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 9,117
    I think this whole debate is irrelevant frankly.

Mendes and Newman come as a package. Judging from Babs comments at the premiere she is going to fight hard to keep Mendes so if she succeeds we are stuck with Newman again.

If EON dont manage to get Mendes back then we'll get someone else because I think Newman has no love of Bond and only does it because Mendes wants him to (exhibit A his phoned in SP soundtrack which is the laziest effort in a Bond film since Sean in YOLT) and wouldnt be that bothered if he wasnt asked back.

Whatever you think about his efforts Arnold 'gets' Bond and loves the job. After this kick up the arse missing out on SF and SP he will come back firing on all cylinders. Give him control of collaborating on the title song as well and we could get another CR which for me is the best post Barry score and song.

I think this whole debate is irrelevant frankly.

Mendes and Newman come as a package. Judging from Babs comments at the premiere she is going to fight hard to keep Mendes so if she succeeds we are stuck with Newman again.

If EON dont manage to get Mendes back then we'll get someone else because I think Newman has no love of Bond and only does it because Mendes wants him to (exhibit A his phoned in SP soundtrack which is the laziest effort in a Bond film since Sean in YOLT) and wouldnt be that bothered if he wasnt asked back.

Whatever you think about his efforts Arnold 'gets' Bond and loves the job. After this kick up the arse missing out on SF and SP he will come back firing on all cylinders. Give him control of collaborating on the title song as well and we could get another CR which for me is the best post Barry score and song.

Head of nail firmly hit.
    I can understand not liking his work, but I think that goes a step too far accusing someone of showing contempt for the series. It says more about you than it actually does about him. Everyone in these films cares about their work, whether you like it or not.
    I can understand not liking his work, but I think that goes a step too far accusing someone of showing contempt for the series. It says more about you than it actually does about him. Everyone in these films cares about their work, whether you like it or not.

Surely you're not that naive. I have no wish to offend anyone here but do you honestly believe that everyone who works on these films cares about their work? Sloppy work is everywhere, those who do their utmost in their jobs are few and far between.

'Contemptuous' pretty much perfectly describes the kind of score a very talented composer has given us for something that deserved a grandiose piece of music.
    No, I think you're just being overly harsh because you don't like his score and you're trying to accuse him of malice as a way to make him the bad guy in this. It's ridiculous. I don't like Arnold's work and mostly find him obnoxious, but I'm not gonna accuse him of intentionally sabotaging the films.
    No, I think you're just being overly harsh because you don't like his score and you're trying to accuse him of malice as a way to make him the bad guy in this. It's ridiculous. I don't like Arnold's work and mostly find him obnoxious, but I'm not gonna accuse him of intentionally sabotaging the films.

'Utter indifference' a term you could settle for then? Perhaps 'contempt' is (slightly) too harsh, but I don't hear a craftsman giving it anywhere near his all when I listen to either of his scores.

Arnold may not be to your liking (I find him overrated yes, if not obnoxious) but he was always in it with all his heart. He just didn't have more to offer, talent-wise.
    AceHole wrote: »

Surely you're not that naive. I have no wish to offend anyone here but do you honestly believe that everyone who works on these films cares about their work? Sloppy work is everywhere, those who do their utmost in their jobs are few and far between.

'Contemptuous' pretty much perfectly describes the kind of score a very talented composer has given us for something that deserved a grandiose piece of music.

I'm sure Brendan was trying his hardest not to turn Liverpool into the new Villa too but that doesnt mean he wasnt serving up unacceptable dross.

In my job I can get away with keeping my head down, being idle, booking my holidays on the internet and generally turning in shoddy work.

But in a multi million dollar industry there is something called pressure and expectation to deliver. It comes with the job and if you dont deliver its brutal and you are axed. And with SP Newman has delivered about as dismally as Postman Pat with a hiatus hernia.

You have to bring your A game to Bond and if you dont you should go - its that simple. When so much of the score is blatantly copied from SF and the rest utterly uninspired I think we are justified in criticising Newman. Perhaps accusing him of having contempt for the series is a bit strong but is copy/pasting your work like a teenager passing off someone else's homework as your own whilst pocketing a massive cheque any more honorable?
    So does that criticism apply to other composers for reprising cues from earlier movies? If this were Michael Kamen recycling like in Lethal Weapon, I can agree with you but that criticism, but on Mendes that seems exaggerated, having listened to his score. For each reused cue there's half a dozen new material. And what is reused is amped up instead of verbatim like "Westminister Bridge", which seems to be regarded as a highlight among fans, at least those who can appreciate what Newman brings.

But if it makes you feel better accusing Mendes of "not caring", go right ahead. I'm done discussing that.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I'm indifferent. We haven't had a decent Bond score (to the level we should be demanding) since TLD imho, so I've gotten used to mediocrity in this respect. Banality even....

If Mendes doesn't come back, Newman won't come back. That much is pretty much guaranteed, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

What we need, unfortunately, are some other franchises to show Bond how it's done......and they have actually done just this in 2015 (Man from Uncle, MI-RN & Kingsman come to mind, and even SPY). Pride then may cause a much needed rethink at EON.

Perhaps after Mendes is booted/shown the door we can have one of those composers brought in to take Bond to the level it deserves to be at as the mac daddy of spy franchises.
    I'd be happy if he didn't come back. SPECTRE's score is a lazy one, it really was just recycled from Skyfall. I've been critical about Arnold's repetitiveness and repeated use of themes from TWINE in DAD and CR, but he never pretty much repeated an old score verbatim which is what this felt like. I mean 70% of that score must have been from Skyfall.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Go, and I hope the doors slams on his way out.
    ..... As the Goldfinger theme starts to blast out. :))
    ..... As the Goldfinger theme starts to blast out. :))

Very good!

And apt as the SP score is shocking. Positively shocking.
    There's something about his us of the JB theme that seems off too. Maybe it's just me, but when he uses it it feels like he remembers he's doing a Bond film - oh yeah best put that in somewhere - his use of it just doesn't seem as natural as other Bond composers.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

I'd go one further - he doesn't CARE about Bond, either, besides just not 'getting' it.

David Arnold lacked the talent to construct layered scores with subtle orchestration, but he could never be accused of not CARING.

I would say he has a Grammy on his shelf that says otherwise:

56th+GRAMMY+Awards+Pre+Telecast+lwut4QjQ7qjl.jpg

• edited October 2015 Posts: 4,599
    As people were coming into the cinema yesterday, they had the soundtrack from YOLT playing to get punters in the mood but the SP does not compare well so it just reminded me of how much we all miss Barry. Time to go IMHO
    TripAces wrote: »

I would say he has a Grammy on his shelf that says otherwise:

56th+GRAMMY+Awards+Pre+Telecast+lwut4QjQ7qjl.jpg

What have you proven here, exactly, other than the fact you attach too much importance to populist awards?
    I defended Newman after his SF score but I won't do the same this time round. I want to see fresh blood for Bond 25.
    or hear it
    patb wrote: »
    or hear it

What sound would fresh blood make? ;)
    Usually sounds like " Why haven't you put the bin out"
    " Why do I look so fat". " You don't love me any more " ....
    ..... That kind of thing. :D