The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• edited October 2015 Posts: 2,081
    smitty wrote: »
    Well, I tell my kids "discipline is doing what you don't want to do." EON and Sony have the deep pockets to hire media staff to work with their actors before hand and rehearse them with every conceivable scenario of questioning so they know how to react professionally during all kinds of interviews in many different cultures, not just to put the film in a good light, but to protect themselves from mistakes that could cause them bad press. It should not be that difficult or horrible, they are actors use to playing a role. All actors have to put up with it, many with far less resources. Some are very good at it. Craig has many strengths as an actor, but dealing with the press ain't one of them.

The idea of actors as sort of Stepford Wives is so depressing, tho. Rehearsing interviews? A horrible idea. I'd rather they make "mistakes" than become bland and boring. Some people are more or less natural performers - which is not the same as being actors. I wouldn't want actors having to actually act all the way through interviews, though, if they are not the natural performers and spokesmen.

Good interviewers do good jobs - do their research, make intelligent questions, and so on. It's unfortunate that so many people who do interviews aren't good at it. It doesn't always have to be serious, either, being silly or asking silly stuff can work well sometimes - depending on the kind of silly it is, and maybe on the actor and/or their mood, or the previous relationship between interviewer and interviewee. With both serious and silly approach (or a combination) people skills are needed to have some understanding of what is okay with whom and when in the first place, and when to maybe take something further or not. Challenging the interviewee, pushing in the right way (while understanding when not to) can also produce great results. (There's obviously more chance of doing that in a longer interview than in a couple of minutes.) I sometimes catch myself admiring the interviewer (in both video and print media interviews), thinking "wow, she/he is good" or "that was clever" while watching or reading... but that doesn't happen often.

I'd rather the interviewers were required to do some training on how to do their jobs than actors having to become some sort of programmed robots or performing monkeys (no disrespect for the monkeys intended, and I feel sorry for them, too) for the sometimes pathetically incompetent media.
    The problem with hoping for better trained interviewers is that the media is going in the other direction as there are more and more markets for promotion. Perhaps EON could do a better job of screening potential interviewers, but Craig is now a co-producer, and they all want SP to do well, so they will continue to promote the heck out of it, and talk to any media source that they think reaches any part of their target audience, which is vast.

It will be interesting to see where the dust settles on Craig's Time Out interview. Should EON have scheduled so many set interviews (apparently there were others) with a very exhausted star? Should the interviewer been more fair about noting Craig had just finished an exhausting shoot, and was joking? Unfortunately Time Out editors are likely elated at the tons of press they got from what may have been gotcha journalism. But Craig should have been more careful. He's been in the business too long not to know better. I don't for a minute think he doesn't give a damn. He gives a damn.
    That's the thing with print media interviews; they can be edited (even more than tv/video interviews), and crucial info can be left out. Everyone probably quite often says stuff that when edited in a certain way or taken out of context would look bad. The media just loves it, of course. "So-and-so said THIS!" - and a media frenzy and a social media outrage takes place. Often though, So-and-so actually either didn't say it, or said it quite differently (the tone gets changed to worse than it was), or said it, but it's taken out of context (thereby it gets twisted). That last one was what happened with the Craig/Time Out interview.

But this stuff really happens all the time. Even if the original source (print or video) has the words unedited and in context, and it's not bad at all (not offensive etc.), other media outlets and social media will still jump at anything and then the thing gets twisted in that process, and most people never see the original source, just a condensed version: a headline, a soundbite, a misquote, and then it's the "shocking"="more newsworthy" version that spreads like wildfire and that people are likely to remember and assume to be the truth. It's a very common occurrence.

If an actor has to consider every word and phrase in each interview in terms of "how could this look if taken out of context, or changed in some way - like a word or half a sentence left out, or..." - well, they won't be able to say anything but bland blah blah. It just gets ridiculous very quickly.

Yes, that particular case was unfortunate, and the choice of words used was bad, but it was the media who really screwed up there in my opinion. I know I'm being naively idealistic, but I'd still like the media to present the facts as well as they can, and it pisses me off when they clearly don't. Unless we just get the bland robot actors that kind of things will keep happening - the media, the social media, etc. will take care of it. The media will surely find something "offensive" if they are so inclined - and they tend to be, because it sells. There's a big market for shocking and offensive. Apparently people crave to be appalled and angry at famous people. I don't know the psychology of it, but I find it interesting.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 725
    Tuulia wrote: »
    That's the thing with print media interviews; they can be edited (even more than tv/video interviews), and crucial info can be left out. Everyone probably quite often says stuff that when edited in a certain way or taken out of context would look bad. The media just loves it, of course. "So-and-so said THIS!" - and a media frenzy and a social media outrage takes place. Often though, So-and-so actually either didn't say it, or said it quite differently (the tone gets changed to worse than it was), or said it, but it's taken out of context (thereby it gets twisted). That last one was what happened with the Craig/Time Out interview.

But this stuff really happens all the time. Even if the original source (print or video) has the words unedited and in context, and it's not bad at all (not offensive etc.), other media outlets and social media will still jump at anything and then the thing gets twisted in that process, and most people never see the original source, just a condensed version: a headline, a soundbite, a misquote, and then it's the "shocking"="more newsworthy" version that spreads like wildfire and that people are likely to remember and assume to be the truth. It's a very common occurrence.

If an actor has to consider every word and phrase in each interview in terms of "how could this look if taken out of context, or changed in some way - like a word or half a sentence left out, or..." - well, they won't be able to say anything but bland blah blah. It just gets ridiculous very quickly.

Yes, that particular case was unfortunate, and the choice of words used was bad, but it was the media who really screwed up there in my opinion. I know I'm being naively idealistic, but I'd still like the media to present the facts as well as they can, and it pisses me off when they clearly don't. Unless we just get the bland robot actors that kind of things will keep happening - the media, the social media, etc. will take care of it. The media will surely find something "offensive" if they are so inclined - and they tend to be, because it sells. There's a big market for shocking and offensive. Apparently people crave to be appalled and angry at famous people. I don't know the psychology of it, but I find it interesting.

Agree with your points. And you're right about print vs video. There was another big blow up over a morning interview that Craig just did, where the interviewer was apparently an idiot. BUT - this time it was on video, and Craig came off looking reasonable, and interestingly the endless replay in the print media is also tough on the interviewer and not Craig.

There is a build em up, and knock em down attitude toward the famous. Bond comes with another layer of this attitude as there is a lot of envy of the actor who plays Bond as it is such a great iconic role. But it sucks up all the energy in a Bond actor's career while doing it, and he also becomes an object of all kinds of resentment. Still, every actor seems to want to play him.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    doubleoego wrote: »

Nah, the ITV interview was worse. It was absolutely cringing. At least the name slip up, yielded some entertaining 7 days jokes.

Maybe if you knew what a laughing stock Craig David is you might change your mind lol.

Really? When did this happen or are you refering to the bo salecta piss-takes?

Tuulia wrote: »

Agree with your points. And you're right about print vs video. There was another big blow up over a morning interview that Craig just did, where the interviewer was apparently an idiot. BUT - this time it was on video, and Craig came off looking reasonable, and interestingly the endless replay in the print media is also tough on the interviewer and not Craig.

There is a build em up, and knock em down attitude toward the famous. Bond comes with another layer of this attitude as there is a lot of envy of the actor who plays Bond as it is such a great iconic role. But it sucks up all the energy in a Bond actor's career while doing it, and he also becomes an object of all kinds of resentment. Still, every actor seems to want to play him.

Yes... except I'm not so sure everyone would really want to play Bond, but if asked in an interview who would say it's too tough a job, I wouldn't want it? ;) I also assume many actors don't really follow all the crap that goes with the job, and don't fully realize what it's like - especially nowadays; I'm sure the circus and attention is tougher in many ways now than it was for previous actors in the role. But also, very few actors ever get to play truly iconic roles, and it's an honor and a challenge, so I'm not surprised actors want roles like that.

I suppose there is a lot of envy and resentment at successful, wealthy people in general, and I suppose mocking them is a way to cope. I couldn't say if it's worse for Bond actors, but my guess would be not really. Maybe more in the UK than elsewhere. Otherwise, I think everyone famous just gets it. Some far, far worse than Craig - if one looks beyond actors, well, Craig has surely had an easy ride compared to, say David Beckham circa 1998-2002... that kind of stuff might really make a person wanna slash their wrists, it was utterly brutal and barbaric, and he was only in early to mid-twenties at the time. A tough young man to manage to get through all that pretty much in one piece, few do, and nobody should have to. So it's all relative. Craig is fine, and will be fine, and the dust will settle just fine. In general I think he's also doing a good job promoting and all that.
    With this site's upgrade a lot of it's history was wiped. There was a lot of disgusting posts in 2005, and don't forget the hate campaign that greeted Daniel and continued upto the release of CR. The tone may have changed but raises its head on occasion as we still have posters with their not too subtle digs. I believe that other site still exists.

Playing the part of Bond appears to be an albatross as we all want a say and whoever takes on the role has to carry and navigate the shark infested we own you mentality offandom
    Seems he is getting some love for his recent interviews and telling them where to stick their nonsense via twitter. Nice for a change.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited October 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Well, I tell my kids "discipline is doing what you don't want to do." EON and Sony have the deep pockets to hire media staff to work with their actors before hand and rehearse them with every conceivable scenario of questioning so they know how to react professionally during all kinds of interviews in many different cultures, not just to put the film in a good light, but to protect themselves from mistakes that could cause them bad press. It should not be that difficult or horrible, they are actors use to playing a role. All actors have to put up with it, many with far less resources. Some are very good at it. Craig has many strengths as an actor, but dealing with the press ain't one of them.

You can't make the comparison journalism since then has changed, the interviewers are hipsters and ask ridiculous questions these days was Brosnan or Moore ever asked such stupid questions as

Will you pout, go on?
    How many of each sweaters did you use?
    did you keep any?
    would you come back as a baddie?
    This is the first time we see Bonds home. eh no! LALD and Dr No

It was clear she knew nothing of Bond or paid any attention to the film. Dan is not there to chit chat. He is there to talk about the film.

Why not use those 5 minutes to ask

What was it like working with Sam again?
    Is Waltz the best nemesis Bond has come up against?
    What was the new car like to drive?

These are the things the journo's of Brosnan Craig era would have gotten away with asking. Dan's PA is behind the camera arms are being waved to cut the interview as it was a pointless waste of time. Why when there are other serious jounos waiting to see him in the same sitting would you allow the time to be used to continue such nonsense. Clearly Dan would rather spend that time with another journo asking questions about the film.

What are EON and Sony to do, vet questions before they can be asked? that's against free press you can't do that. Or are they to sit and train Dan how to play along with such nonsense. no way when you doing 20 interviews in one sitting with 5 minute windows with the worlds press with others waiting, you say ENOUGH, NEXT!! and you don't grant the media outlet who put forward such stupid questions an interview again.

This Morning who were behind that interview should be embarrassed and ashamed, when it cut back to Philip Schoefield he comments "she tried to get him to pout, she tried" so collectively they tried to ridicule the man.

You said

"hire media staff to work with their actors before hand and rehearse them with every conceivable scenario of questioning"

No you simply do not accept such stupidity when time is money, and there are others desperate to ask questions relating to the film that he is there to promote. Daniel does not deal with that interview badly, he simply does not encourage the line of questioning and asks her to move on.

Dan does not suffer idiots that is clear. I would like to see evidence of similar stupid questions to Moore or Brosnan and how they handled it?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I can only imagine the excellent viewing this would have made had that moron been interviewing Connery.
    I can only imagine the excellent viewing this would have made had that moron been interviewing Connery.

Connery would have slapped her called her stupid and walked off.
    Actually, like I said, his recent interviews did him some good and also what he said about Monica and age etc.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Actually, like I said, his recent interviews did him some good and also what he said about Monica and age etc.

Yes, and if you heard him on BBC Radio 4 last night talking John Wilson, an intellectual with intellectual questions, with knowledge of Dan's career and speaking about the theatre you can tell Dan is relaxed because he engages more with the intelligent questions being asked.

Link here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06j6t8r
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited October 2015 Posts: 4,554
    Germanlady wrote: »

Yes, and if you heard him on BBC Radio 4 last night talking John Wilson, an intellectual with intellectual questions, with knowledge of Dan's career and speaking about the theatre you can tell Dan is relaxed because he engages more with the intelligent questions being asked.

Link here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06j6t8r

His interview with an Entertainment Weekly writer, during the filing of Cowboys and Aliens. got especially testy. The writer asked about DC's wedding ring, and DC said that that was private and wanted it kept that way. And a moment later, the writer came back on to the subject of DC's marriage to RW. And DC said, "Now, I gave you a line in the sand and you still insisted on crossing over it!"

I think its just human nature that we all enjoy talking to people that we respect and have a common "foundation", the hard part is the "dumbing down" and dealing with hacks who have not done their homework and have no genuine interest in their topic. I couldn't do it and I dont think many could, it takes a massive amount of patience and lip biting
    patb wrote: »
    I think its just human nature that we all enjoy talking to people that we respect and have a common "foundation", the hard part is the "dumbing down" and dealing with hacks who have not done their homework and have no genuine interest in their topic. I couldn't do it and I dont think many could, it takes a massive amount of patience and lip biting

Yes. I'm actually surprised how amiable and patient most actors (and others) manage to be almost always, and how well they usually handle not only stupid and unprofessional, but even downright rude interviewers. Like, um, some idiot tries the nothing-to-do-with-the-movie/personal-and-painful line of questioning at a premiere... an actor gives the moron the look, suggests the person goes and thinks of better questions, and immediately moves over to the next reporter. Perfectly handled. They shouldn't have to just put up with anything.

• SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited October 2015 Posts: 1,130

Connery would have slapped her called her stupid and walked off.

Maybe would have slapped her but not walk off, after all he handled pretty well his intreview with Barbara Wallters.
    He did slap her but stayed till the interview finished. So Sean Connery in own way is surprisingly patient.

He made her see, he wouldn't tolerate offensive questions or would tell her in a polite way when she was acting snarky but the interview was finished propertly.

Like when she asked him about being ok with slapping woman or being chavaunist.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    He has that Q-branch insurance from TND. lol
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I read somewhere the other day that Daniel Craig's Bond was the most
    successful at gambling having won £65 million, so I don't think his Bond
    is worried by insurance. :D
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Speaking of his TND insurance, Bond is pretty damn lucky to have so many forms of cover on his car (and himself), and all for free! He probably needs it, though.
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/history/615178/original-James-Bond-first-appearance-featured-new-exhibition
    An exhibition about Bond's first appearance, in the daily express .
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/11957921/Robert-Hardy-Daniel-Craig-isnt-a-good-actor-but-hes-very-good-at-jumping.html
    Robert Hardy, is obviously not a Daniel fan ..
    " Daniel Craig isn't a good actor, but he is good at jumping "
    Well, I believe, he will survive this critisism ;) What a silly old man.

http://www.pressreader.com/philippines/philippine-daily-inquirer/20151030/282759175533879/TextView
    I don't believe DC is a big box office draw on his own. It's the combination of Craig and Bond that brings in the punters.
    DrGorner wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/11957921/Robert-Hardy-Daniel-Craig-isnt-a-good-actor-but-hes-very-good-at-jumping.html
    Robert Hardy, is obviously not a Daniel fan ..
    " Daniel Craig isn't a good actor, but he is good at jumping "

Amusing. I sort of agree. But Craig is still a decent Bond and infinitely better than Brosnan in the role.
    I think Craig in many ways mirrors Connery, in that as Bond they're
    Super stars but with their other films. The public don't seem as enthusiastic
    to go see them ? As it was a long time after Bond that Sir Sean became a modern
    Icon, with many big hits.
    But then again - who is? Most of the so called bankable stars today are in a franchise and outside of that, they pretty much flop. Latest Vin Diesel. Even RDJ's lawyer film did.
    Or ddo you believe Matt Damon is a draw? Certainly not. His latest is a good film, that's it. Could be with somebody else and nobody would care. Had C&A been a good to great film, it would have been a hit. People werde ready to like it, but it was shit and got, what it deserved.