The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    " Or do you believe Matt Damon is a draw?"
    :)) No, I can't say that I do. @Germanlady
    That's the point. He made a good film and people go see it. IF the film is shit or uninteresting, never mid WHO is in it, people won't.

DC's films, well most, had great potential, but somehow fell flat. GC, even Defiance lacked what made Samurai so good and that was not his fault. Only ? for me is Tattoo, but I believe, the timing was just all wrong. It took on speed after X-mas, but...
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Robert Hardy's comments are very strange. He's an actor so should appreciate what good acting is. And Craig has chalked up many great performances over the years on TV, film and stage.
    Maybe Robert Hardy is bitter because he has been left behind by his more illustrious peers eg Christopher Lee, Ian McKellern, Timothy West etc etc.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Gah, I hate interviews that are written down.
    I wonder was Robert Hardy ever considered for M, or a minister in the Bonds ?
    Didn't get it and now is very bitter ?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited October 2015 Posts: 4,554
    Interestingly, Connery's best non-Bond role (at the time he was playing Bond) was a psychological thriller (Marnie)...and so was Craig's (TGWTDT). It seems to me that Connery didn't enjoy post-Bond success until 15 years later, with The Untouchables. And that film catapulted into A-List status.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    TripAces wrote: »
    Interestingly, Connery's best non-Bond role (at the time he was playing Bond) was a psychological thriller (Marnie)...and so was Craig's (TGWTDT). It seems to me that Connery didn't enjoy post-Bond success until 15 years later, with The Untouchables. And that film catapulted into A-List status.

The Name Of The Rose in 1986 and Highlander also in 1986 kicked off Connery's second career. The Untouchables cemented him as an A-Actor and of course got him the Academy Award :)
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited October 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Hunt for Red October. Connery had consistent success. Screen perscence can't be bought for an actor.Connery even outside of Bond commands attention on screen.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 4,554
    Hunt for Red October. Connery had consistent success. Screen perscence can't be bought for an actor.Connery even outside of Bond commands attention on screen.

Hunt came out three years after Untouchables.

Name of the Rose snd Highlander didn't hurt...but winning the Oscar for Untouchables really did it.

By the way, one of the strangest films I have ever seen is Rising Sun, with Connery and Snipes.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883

I think you might be right on this. Connery suffered during the 70's and I think it was the Untouchables that put him solidly back on the map.

Then the Hunt for Red October (I think this was the first film he did with a pretty good wig....which Hollywood might have noticed). From then it was off to the races, and his 'leading man' status was re-established.

I don't think anybody in Hollywood ever doubted his charisma (how could one?) but perhaps they doubted his ability to play along (get in shape, look good for the role etc. etc.). I suspect Hunt for Red October (replete with wig) suggested a willingness to cooperate.
  • I would say what actually put him back on the map was...Never say never again! Other than the ensemble war picture A Bridge too far, he hadn't had a true hit as a leading man since Diamonds are forever. One significant thing nobody else has mentioned though, after NSNA he transitioned from being The Star to doing mentor roles to a younger star - Highlander, Untouchables, The Rock, Rising Sun, Indiana Jones etc, and had a significant resurgence in popularity. (Red October seems to be a strange one-off in that respect).
  • TripAces wrote: »
    Interestingly, Connery's best non-Bond role (at the time he was playing Bond) was a psychological thriller (Marnie)...
    Well, in Marnie his role is all about his relationship with women, and doesn't he still play Bond that way ? :)
    Interestingly, Connery's best non-Bond role (at the time he was playing Bond) was a psychological thriller (Marnie)...
    Well, in Marnie his role is all about his relationship with women, and doesn't he still play Bond that way ? :)

Somewhere on this site a poster suggested that Marnie prepped Connery for GF. It was an interesting theory.
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    I have no doubt that Craig is at least going to do one more. What worries me is his insistence "to take it easy" before going into B25. Connery pumped out 4 Bonds and multiple other movies all within a 3 year span. Similarly, Moore had made 6 by the time it took Craig to make 4 and Moore was already in his mid forties when he started.

Basically, I hope we don't have to wait another 4 years for B25. I would ideally see Craig have six films but that could only happen if they got B25 out in 3 years MAX (which I could live with, hoping that the quality remains more or less the same).
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Can Robert Hardy jump?
    ..... and how high ? :D
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    WIll Daniel Craig ever be knighted?
    He does plenty of charity work, trying to get rid of landmines etc. So given
    More time, Yes. I think he will eventually be knighted. :)
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States

Yay! That's awesome!
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
  • Posted elsewhere but you may not have seen, recent interview on RT.

http://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/james-bond-daniel-craig-is-not-gone-yet/?v=1
    Daniel Craig Plays “Save or Kill” and Talks Working with Sam Mendes on ‘Spectre’
    http://collider.com/daniel-craig-spectre-save-or-kill-interview/
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

Would he accept it though? I can't see him wanting to be a Sir.

edited November 2015 Posts: 2,496
    'Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' Follow-up in Works With Steven Knight in Talks to Adapt.

Sources say that neither Rooney Mara, who nabbed a best actress Oscar nomination for 'Dragon Tattoo,' nor Daniel Craig will be back, and the studio sees the new book as an opportunity to start the franchise over.
  • Very interesting. But I think people will want Daniel and Rooney back (and Fincher). They're basically "rebooting" after one film! Steven Knight is good though. He works with Tom Hardy a lot. Hmm!
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Very interesting. But I think people will want Daniel and Rooney back (and Fincher). They're basically "rebooting" after one film! Steven Knight is good though. He works with Tom Hardy a lot. Hmm!

I really really loved Daniel in that film (can't stand Rooney), and so did a lot of people I think. It will be a real shame if they don't end up finishing the trilogy.

My one issue with the film was that they expected it to do well, yet they released it in December. That film absolutely is not a Christmas crowd pleaser. What were they expecting to happen box office wise?

• edited November 2015 Posts: 725
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    'Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' Follow-up in Works With Steven Knight in Talks to Adapt.

Sources say that neither Rooney Mara, who nabbed a best actress Oscar nomination for 'Dragon Tattoo,' nor Daniel Craig will be back, and the studio sees the new book as an opportunity to start the franchise over.

Craig would probably want to slit his wrists again rather than ever work with Pascal again after all the grief she caused SP. Pascal and producer Scott Rudin had a field day trashing talent in the Sony leaks. We'll probably get to read new 2nd hand put downs from them on too old Rooney, and too greedy Craig. Good luck to the actors that will have to fill Rooney and Craig's shoes. Whatever the problems were with the Tattoo film, it wasn't with the actors.

smitty wrote: »
    Red_Snow wrote: »

Craig would probably want to slit his wrists again rather than ever work with Pascal again after all the grief she caused SP. Pascal and producer Scott Rudin had a field day trashing talent in the Sony leaks. We'll probably get to read more 2nd hand put downs from them on too old Rooney, and too greedy Craig. Good luck to the actors that will have to fill Rooney and Craig's shoes. Whatever the problems were with the Tattoo film, it wasn't with the actors.

Oh, did they trash Craig in the emails? I've not read them.