The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I love this photo in the cover of The Sunday Times magazine:

CQeJ56yWIAAEOra.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Old Bluebeard is back.
    DrGorner wrote: »

being hit by James Bond? Possible claim to fame!!!! b-(
  • I wonder why he swears so much? It's not offensive to me, I just think it's dead naff.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I don't f*ching think he swears too f*cking much ! :D
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    It always amuses me that people get offended by DC swearing and his general manner in interviews but they think Connery a bully and Wife beater is a class act.

Give me someone who speaks his mind and swears representing Bond over a bitter and twisted real life thug.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 623
    Which part of 'it's not offensive to me' didn't you understand?

Mod edit: F-bombs are against the rules.
    It was a general comment, also it's naff for Craig to do it but you can turn up on a forum and start dropping F bombs?

Glass house and stones.

• Well, I was kind of being a bit self-effacing there. Never mind.
    I just think it's overdone. I picked up the Empire special issue and when I got to DC's input it was like reading an interview with Liam Gallagher. I don't know if he does it to wind the press up or what, but it comes across 'laddish' to the point of distraction.
    I'm not offended, and I'm not saying he's naughty, I just think it's a bit naff.
    I think he does it because that is Daniel Craig, he's not Bond and never pretends to be, I like honest speaking personally.

I think some fans think he should be refined and represent the series with restraint like Bond but he's an actor and of all the men to play the part he's about as far removed from Bond as you can get.

He's not playing an extension of himself he's playing a character.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    What the fook? Melon farmers
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Not everybody can be a gentleman and witty like Roger Moore or have the sense of humour that Brosnan has when giving interviews, or being worldly-wise like Dalton.

• edited October 2015 Posts: 6,601
    I think, he does it deliberately, as you won't see any swearing during camera interviews and I doubt, any swear word would leave his lips, when at the UN. DC and the press. Well, its a tricky subject and not totally the fault of the press. He could have avoided lots of annyoing headlines and other mischief. But he chose it and is, obviously willing to take the result. Its a bit childish IMO, but despite that, he is a class act, just not in presenting himself to the public.

"Self promotion is like going to the dentist"

Some nice covers for a change

3986f4ca3c72eb1713bce3c5511e8c5c_zps708wrh77.jpg

CQnjeFmUwAA8OUq_zpsqjahfups.jpg

mexico%20eaquire_zpsnjgok9am.jpg

DTD
    From the Time Out article

image_zps3v6wcjua.jpg

image%201_zpszkpwle4p.jpg
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 95
    That is really awesome. After the smoke clears on a few some sarcastic comments, this is what really gets my admiration. Not only is he a great Bond and actor but here he is doing something that 99% of people will never get to do and it's something real. And something important.

At the end of the day, a good person. Most important trait of all imo.

Thanks for posting!
    Yes, this is how I see it, too. He is not perfect, (who is?), but IMO he is pretty decent, where it counts.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Yes, this is how I see it, too. He is not perfect, (who is?), but IMO he is pretty decent, where it counts.

Absolutely!
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Germanlady wrote: »

Love the fact he has kept, and is wearing a pair of the Tom Ford FT108 Sunglasses he wore in the dessert in Quantum of Solace at the interview at the end and doesn't look any different 7 years on.
  • bond_azoozbondbond_azoozbond Portland,OR
    Lol.. that thought occurred to me too .. Craig is great ;)
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    UN global advocate Daniel Craig visits Cyprus, highlights need for continued de-mining efforts

In his new role as the United Nations Global Advocate for the Elimination of Mines and Explosive Hazards, renowned actor Daniel Craig underscored the humanitarian importance of the UN's de-mining efforts in Cyprus, his first country visit for the Organization.

“Witnessing the potential impact that mines can have on people and communities, years after the end of conflict, brings home the humanitarian importance of the UN's de-mining efforts in Cyprus,” Mr. Craig said.

Mr. Craig's mission led him on a two-day familiarization visit with the UN Peacekeeping Force in Cyprus (UNFICYP), where he toured an active minefield – recently identified by the UN Mine Action Service.

He was also briefed on mine clearance activities by Lieutenant Sovannara Leang, who leads a twenty-strong team of Cambodian peacekeepers from the UN Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL). The two UN forces are deployed together as part of an inter-mission co-operation agreement.

Having filmed years ago in Cambodia, the Global Advocate, best known for his role as 007 in the James Bond films was familiar with the widespread contamination of mines found in that country. Mr. Craig was impressed to see Cambodian de-miners offering their expertise to help the people and peace process in Cyprus as he witnessed first-hand the difficult and risky work in manual demining and explosive ordnance disposal by UN peacekeepers.

“For these peacekeepers to take their expertise, gleaned over the last 40 years in Cambodia, and make it available to the people of Cyprus, half-way around the world, is truly inspiring,” praised the James Bond actor.

Mr. Craig also visited an area recently cleared of mines in the UN buffer zone and the UN protected area in Nicosia, where he was briefed by the Special Representative of the Secretary-General and Head of Mission, Lisa Buttenheim, and UNFICYP's Force Commander, Major General Kristen Lund.

“The fact that the UN Global Advocate chose to come to Cyprus for his first mission, at a time when demining demonstrates positive momentum in the peace process, is significant. His visit draws attention to the UN's long expressed goal of achieving a mine-free Cyprus for all,” said Ms. Buttenheim.

Over the last decade UN de-miners have removed more than 27,000 landmines from the buffer zone in Cyprus. A total of 74 minefields – or 9.7 square kilometres of land – have been cleared throughout the buffer zone to international mine action standards, set and monitored by the UN Mine Action Service (UNMAS). The cleared area can now be put to productive use.

It is estimated today that thousands of landmines still remain in Cyprus, with large areas possibly still contaminated by mines and unexploded ordnance.

“I very much hope that I will be the first and last Global Advocate to see landmines on this beautiful island,” said Mr. Craig.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    More than four decades after WW2, me and my shipmates were still picking unexploded German mines out of Norwegian waters. Probably some British ones as well, cannot remember exactly.

Mines are uncritical killers, and morally reprehensible.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    +1^
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited October 2015 Posts: 2,138
    More than four decades after WW2, me and my shipmates were still picking unexploded German mines out of Norwegian waters. Probably some British ones as well, cannot remember exactly.

Mines are uncritical killers, and morally reprehensible.

Sad. The west coast beaches of Scotland carry warnings with pictures of Forsfeous grenades because they keep washing up. Apparently after WW2 the stocks of hundreds of thousands of these things were put in metal cases sunken in concrete and ditched at sea. When they laid the Atlantic telephone lines in the 70's they disturbed the cases.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    That's sweet, you guys like him again
    Daniel Craig and David Oyelowo to Star Together in Off Broadway ‘Othello’

This fall, Daniel Craig returns to the big screen as one of film’s great spies. Next fall, he will return to the small stage as one of theater’s great villains.

Mr. Craig, whose fourth outing as James Bond, “Spectre,” opens in the United States next month, will be paired with another British movie star, David Oyelowo (“Selma”), in an Off Broadway production of “Othello” that is sure to be one of the hottest tickets of the next theatrical season. Mr. Oyelowo will play the title role, and Mr. Craig his infamous tormentor, Iago.

The play will be staged by New York Theater Workshop, a prestigious but small nonprofit that plans to present the work in a 199-seat theater for a limited run in the fall of 2016 (the theater has not yet announced the production’s dates or duration).

The starry cast was assembled and offered to New York Theater Workshop by one of New York’s most in-demand directors, Sam Gold, who this year won the Tony Award as best director for his work on the musical “Fun Home,” and who is also known for his fruitful and frequent collaboration with the Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Annie Baker. Mr. Gold’s career has been built largely on the direction of new work; “Othello” will be the first time he has professionally directed a play by Shakespeare.

Mr. Craig, although best known for his film work, is also a stage actor; he has appeared twice on Broadway, in a 2009 production of “A Steady Rain” and a 2013 revival of “Betrayal,” and earlier this year he told DuJour magazine that he wanted to do more New York theater. His interest in this “Othello” was previously reported by The New York Post.

In a telephone interview from Amsterdam, where he is directing a production of “The Glass Menagerie,” (in Dutch, which he does not speak), Mr. Gold said that Mr. Craig had sought him out after seeing a play that he directed and that the two have been talking and seeking a project on which to collaborate for some time. Mr. Gold said he reached out to Mr. Oyelowo through a friend; the actors read the play together and the project took off.

“I’ve been wanting to do Shakespeare for a long time — it’s what started me as a director — and I’ve almost done Shakespeare a number of times in the past few years, but it hasn’t worked out,” Mr. Gold said. “Finally, the right thing came together.”

He said he had chosen “Othello” because it interested the actors and him.

“Honestly, I wanted to start with a really simple, straight-shot Shakespeare, and ‘Othello’ is a single-plot show, very focused and clear,” he said. “‘Othello,’ for me, is the Shakespeare that when I watch, I feel the most involved — I care the most about the people, and have the simplest connection on a gut level, so I wanted to start there. But I’ll do more of them.”

Mr. Gold said that, given the cast, he could have brought the project anywhere; he chose New York Theater Workshop, he said, because of its emphasis on supporting directors, and because that’s where he had directed his first professional play. He said he was excited to do the play in a small theater, because of the intimacy it would afford; he declined to describe the production in any detail, saying it was too early.

James C. Nicola, the artistic director of New York Theater Workshop, said his organization had not presented a Shakespeare play since an adaptation of “As You Like It” in 1990.

“From the founding of our theater, we have had this double focus, not just on playwrights, but on directors, and for three years we have had an ongoing conversation about what we and Sam could do together that would be a challenge to him to grow and build muscle and capacity as a director,” he said.

“Because he tends to get new contemporary plays, we were looking back into the canon — we talked about a classic musical, but it hadn’t gone anywhere, and then he called and said he wanted to talk,” he added. “He said he’d put this together, and does it sound like it might fit in, so I said yes.”

Mr. Nicola said he did not think a Broadway transfer of the production was likely, given the limited availability of the actors. He said New York Theater Workshop would conduct fund-raising to support the production, which he said would be relatively large for his theater — perhaps 12 to 14 actors. The production will likely help the theater attract membership support as well, because tickets will be available to next season’s members; in London, the Barbican theater similarly benefited by selling memberships to people who wanted to get tickets to see Benedict Cumberbatch in “Hamlet.”
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited October 2015 Posts: 11,139
    Oh wow, 2 Bonds going up against each other.

• TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    BBC News also talking about Othello although choosing not to make the Two Bonds connection:

David Oyelowo and Daniel Craig to star in Othello - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34574885