Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• edited September 2015 Posts: 16
    Holy $ hit people!!! It's just a song!!! I would be more than happy to accept a song in the bottom 12 of the series, if it meant we were in store for one of the best films of the series. Personally, the song does not appeal to me, but we're listening/debating it in a vacuum. We have no clue what the title sequence will look like...will feel like. It may very well add some context, which could change opinions. Plus, based on all of the previous BEGGING for Newman to leverage the theme song into his soundtrack, perhaps we will have that too. The opening 15 seconds surely sounds Bondian and I can easily hear it woven throughout the film's soundtrack.
    Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But perhaps we should wait until the song is played in the context of the titles to claim worst ever.
  • Another Way To Die doesn't sound so bad anymore. or Die another Day. Or Tomorrow never Dies. Or even All Time High. The film better be AWESOME![img][/img]
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It will be a shame if Sam misses out on on " worst theme" ever, he certainly
    Deserves some award, for keeping many forums alive with posts for days. :D
  • DomesticKittenDomesticKitten Blofeld's Lap
    I still need to see how it works with the film first.
    I hold off all judgement until then.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 4,622
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Zekidk wrote: »
    I know I have a problem if I prefer the falsetto of the first cover version out there, than the real deal. Maybe it's because the sound of a whiny girl should be sung by a girl. She doesn't even have the orchestra:

Wow! I approve of this by 9000!

Wow, this girl has saved the song
    She's elevated it from putrid to passable.
    The song is still sappy and shite. Utterly awful and a huge letdown for a film that holds so much promise, but vocally she"s saved it, or at least as well as such tripe can be saved.
    To paraphrase the Rolling Stones..."It's the Singer not the Song"
    ie the singer is what's most wrong with this song.

Nutshell:Bad song but badder singer.

#WorstBondSongEver

• edited September 2015 Posts: 1,310
    I have an odd (and totally unfounded) feeling that this song's reputation is going to get a little better over time.

It doesn't seem like people really bash Another Way to Die anymore, and I certainly remember the overwhelming negative reaction that song got upon release (rightfully so). Perhaps it was simply forgotten.

For the record, I'm very mixed overall with another WOTW. Ultimately I would put it in the bottom half of the themes, but worse that Another Way to Die's dreadful vocals? Worse than Die Another Day? Some of you complaining about WOTW's admittedly dodgy lyrics better take a trip down memory lane. Here, let me get you started.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    timmer wrote: »
    I know I have a problem if I prefer the falsetto of the first cover version out there, than the real deal. Maybe it's because the sound of a whiny girl should be sung by a girl. She doesn't even have the orchestra:

The song is still sappy and shite. Utterly awful and a huge letdown for a film that holds so much promise, but vocally she"s saved it, or at least as well as such tripe can be saved.

#WorstBondSongEver

#BestBondSongEver
    I hope for the next film they get away from using whoever is the youngest, newest, most popular at the time.

I wouldnt mind something fresh/unexpected. GE & CR have had the best themes of the last twenty years. Turner & Cornell were unexpected but great.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 2,598
    Aw yissss thank you @skullkrusher
    HASEROT wrote: »
    90% to 10% now..

wow..

makes me feel real small for actually liking it... like there is something wrong with me - everyone else hates it, why don't i?.... guess i have no clue what is or isn't good music. *shrugs*

I like the song and the falsetto part (very catchy) along with the orchestral sections are my favourite parts of the song. I also like the melancholic, vulnerable tone and lyrics. The parts that I don't dislike but don't enjoy as much are when he is singing the verses which are a tad on the dull side not unlike his other songs. Overall I will say that I definitely like it but don't love it. I have enjoyed listening to it many times.

I knew from the beginning as soon as I heard the rumours that Smith would be doing this, would be that his vocals would be criticised. The male singers of Bond songs have always sung with deeper vocals in the past. When I listen to a new Bond song, I don't listen to it with the previous Bond songs in mind. Anyway, for me, with the exception of maybe Skyfall, License to Kill and The Living Daylights that I like alot (but still don't love), I have never loved any of the Bond songs but have enjoyed all of them to varying degrees.

Not surprisingly, it went straight to number one on the Vodafone big top 40 in the UK. He has a big following right now.

So just to say once more, I definitely like the song but don't love it along with most of the other Bond songs. :)
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    I hope for the next film they get away from using whoever is the youngest, newest, most popular at the time.

I wouldnt mind something fresh/unexpected. GE & CR have had the best themes of the last twenty years. Turner & Cornell were unexpected but great.

It would be nice but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Bond is mainstream. As long as the film is good I don't care as much about the theme song. I've never loved any of the Bond songs. I've always felt that Bassey's Goldfinger is overrated. Never raved about it myself.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 187

#WorstBondSongEver

#BestBondSongEver

Best ever? Surely you're joking..... Granted everyone's entitled to their own opinion but come on, better than Nobody Does it Better, or Goldfinger even? Heavens no.

• SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    If people don't want to read criticism stay in the appreciation thread. It's ludicrous to think there should be two.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Sark wrote: »
    If people don't want to read criticism stay in the appreciation thread. It's ludicrous to think there should be two.

Two appreciation threads? Yes that would be quite silly. I really like the song but enjoy reading criticisms of it too, when they're constructive/interesting.

• QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    km16 wrote: »
    Best ever? Surely you're joking..... Granted everyone's entitled to their own opinion but come on, better than Nobody Does it Better, or Goldfinger even? Heavens no.

I don't know if I would say it's THE best Bond song but I would certainly rank it up there. Yes, I would place it way above Goldfinger. Enjoy the song just fine but only in the film.
    Bounine wrote: »
    I've always felt that Bassey's Goldfinger is overrated. Never raved about it myself.

Agreed. To me the best ones are the ones you can enjoy outside of the film and Goldfinger isn't one of them.
    Goldfinger and it's theme actually defined popular culture at the time................ Pretty big shoes to fill, inside or outside of the film.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 2,598

#WorstBondSongEver

#BestBondSongEver

#WorstBondSongEver

#BestBondSongEver

I disagree about this girl's version of WOTW. Smith's version is better than this. This girl has a nice voice but her voice sounds like so many others.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I agree on disagreeing about the girl singing WOTW. She's too generic like so many others that everyone keeps claiming is better than SS.
    I'm referring to the song in general. Doesn't matter who sings it, the song still literally goes nowhere. It ends abruptly like hitting a brick wall at 100mph.
    I do think that the ending is a bit rushed. I said this when I first heard it when it was premiered on Capital FM (was exciting tuning in for this) but I liked the song immediately.
    To those suggesting an instrumental version for the title sequence, surely they'd have to sex it up quite a bit? Like the difference between FRWL the song and the instrumental.
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    To those suggesting an instrumental version for the title sequence, surely they'd have to sex it up quite a bit? Like the difference between FRWL the song and the instrumental.

Yeah. The instrumental alone is a little bare to put on without vocals. With all the controversy surrounding the song itself (let's face it, it's not very good), should be interesting to see what they do in the title sequence.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    WOTW is going to work perfectly on the titles in the movie.
    The first time for this era EON has chosen a song that actually sounds like a proper Bond song and not like some wannabe innovative crap or rock song that dooesn't sound Bond or some lullaby belted out.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 654
    Today is the day I learned to love it. It's abolutely great really. Gives me the chills. Not as good as Adele but still really good.
    Funny how critics of the song are accused of being close-minded and not accepting new ideas of what constitutes a Bond song, then @Bondjasonbon006 says it's the first "proper Bond song" of the Craig era.

Jason, do you think LALD is a "rock song that doesn't sound Bond"?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Funny how critics of the song are accused of being close-minded and not accepting new ideas of what constitutes a Bond song, then @Bondjasonbon006 says it's the first "proper Bond song" of the Craig era.

LALD is nothing like YKMN and George Martin could have made anything sound like Bond.

The problem definitely aren't the supporters of WOTW but the hysterical critics that go to any length to bash Sam Smith, and the song.
    This thread is testament to that.
  • MrLunnMrLunn Lunnigham
    Today is the day I learned to love it. It's abolutely great really. Gives me the chills. Not as good as Adele but still really good.

Okay, we are all with you here, we can help you get through this. Just stay calm and follow these instructions and it'll be all back to normal. Deep breaths now...

Go to itunes playlist. Type in the search box...James Bond theme songs...do not type in Sam Smith...repeat do not type in Sam Smith this will again cause shallow sensations in your inner ear...hit search button....good, you're doing really well...now choose We have all the time in the world....and then play....this should take you back to the feeling of James Bond classic songs not soggy toast with Marmite.

LALD is nothing like YKMN and George Martin could have made anything sound like Bond.

The problem definitely aren't the supporters of WOTW but the hysterical critics that go to any length to bash Sam Smith, and the song.
    What do you think our motive is for bashing WOTW?
  • RC7RC7

What do you think our motive is for bashing WOTW?

You'd have to tell us. Some of the hate seems incredibly disproportionate. Given one member appears to have joined simply to berate the 'egotist', Sam Smith, I'd have to say some (not all) have some sort of agenda. What that is, who knows?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It does seem to be getting a large amount of hate directed at it ?
    I can understand not liking it ( we all have different tastes) but to
    Keep on attacking it, seems a bit vengeful.
  • How come there's not a good version of it on YouTube yet?