Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

I currently have TMWTGG ahead of TND by 1 place in my ranking, so I have to give it to it. I like the films almost equally, but I think Christopher Lee gives TMWTGG the edge. Neither are among my favorite Bond movies, but Lee's Scaramanga is one of my favorite villains in the series.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 11,189
    I'm stuck with this one. Both films (to me) start out as at least half-decent but fall apart at the midway point. Dies has a bit more vigour to it, whereas GG feels surprisingly dull. It does have Christopher Lee though.

Both are fairly weak but If I were to pick one, it would probably be TND despite its cheesiness.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    TMWTGG has the better villain, but TND (still one of my favourite Bonds) wins in all other aspects.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Easy for me TND sits about mid way in me rankings, whilst Golden Gun is amongst the bottom three.

Glad to see you about these here forums @00Beast
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    TND, for sure. Scaramanga is a better villain, and better acted, but TND is simply a better film.
  • TND for me. Its Brosnan's best Bond film. I still really like TMWTGG though.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    TND for me. Its Brosnan's best Bond film. I still really like TMWTGG though.
    +1
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Tomorrow Never Dies by far. TMWTGG is a chore.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited September 2015 Posts: 5,131
    TND is good for the first hour and the score really makes an effort to be classic....However, as soon as the Halo Jump is over it becomes an excuse for fake sets and action set pieces. Jonathan Pryce is unfortunately camp and panto as a villain. TMWTGG is a little too light hearted, but Moore's performance is actually one of his best (more the actual character of Bond and less 'Moore'. Lee is also a brilliant villain and the character is loosely based on Fleming's creation. Barry's score is solid in TMWTGG. For these reasons......TMWTGG wins.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    TND is the better film. But TMWTGG is the better Bond experience. If that makes sense.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    TMWTGG. Both closely positioned in my ranking, but TMWTGG edges it due to Scaramanga, it's score, Moore and some iconic scenes.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Tomorrow never dies
    Much more action and much more stylish and a more sophisticated film.

Tomorrow never dies its pure action, the other one looks like a Bond parody
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 1,310
    Tomorrow Never Dies for me. I view Golden Gun as the worst film of the franchise.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 17,687
    The opinions here are so serious. :)
    I mean, it's weird... no "Don't care much for...", it's almost always "Worst film", "Utter garbage", or "Nadir of the Franchise". :P
    I just can't 'hate' a movie that hasn't punched me. :-j
    I chose these two because TMWTGG was the last Bond movie I watched prior to just a few minutes ago when I finished watching TND, so both are fresh on my mind, making this decision much easier!

There used to be no question in my mind; I would have chosen TND over TMWTGG without hesitation years ago. Now, as TMWTGG crawls up my rankings and continually impresses me more and more, it's not so easy to choose between them. Where TMWTGG shines in its adventurous feel, it also lacks in distracting gags. Where TND shines in action, it also lacks in "meat." There were several times throughout TND when I wished the movie put more emphasis on fleshing out the plot than just moving from one action set piece to the next. The first half of the movie does a good job with distributing its action among a steadily progressing plot, but the second half seems to just want to get to the finale. This hurried mindset in the second half really hurts TND and makes me appreciate TMWTGG for staying steadily on track, even if there are too many corny jokes along the way.

Still, TND holds up well in that delicate Bond balance between fun and seriousness. Brosnan never fails to make us believe that he is 007, and Elliot Carver is quite the bone-chilling villain. I've always enjoyed his place in TND. The rest of the characters are fairly toss-away, and the Paris and Wai Lin Bond Girl duo is potentially the worst of the series. Both are far too annoying and relatively useless. However, TMWTGG doesn't provide much in characters either besides Scaramanga, Andrea Anders, and Roger Moore's spectacular take on 007 for his second outing.

Musically and location-wise, both might as well be even. They both make good use of each of these elements.

There's the potential for a gridlock between these two, but out of some slight sentiment and liking for a more serious approach, I'll give the edge to Tomorrow Never Dies.
    TND is my third favourite Bond; TMWTGG is my ninth.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    TND is my third favourite Bond; TMWTGG is my ninth.

This one's a little easier for you, in that case, haha!

By the way, many thanks to @royale65 for the welcome back!
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 1,310
    chrisisall wrote: »
    The opinions here are so serious. :)
    I mean, it's weird... no "Don't care much for...", it's almost always "Worst film", "Utter garbage", or "Nadir of the Franchise". :P
    I just can't 'hate' a movie that hasn't punched me. :-j
    Haha but of course. I don't hate Golden Gun as a movie, mind you, but of all the Bond films it certainly is my least favorite. Just has a lot of things I can live without!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I'd have to give TND the edge here. It's just a really good time.

I loved Lee as Scaramanga in TMWTGG but the plot was all over the place and tonally it's one of Moore's more schitzophrenic films.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Phew, this is not an easy choice. Neither one is very high on my list.

Objectively, TND is probably the better film. Indeed, there are many enjoyable moments in the first half. That second half though... yikers. I think I'd probably rather watch Sir Roger's uneven second effort.

Gun wins this one for me.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I was just thinking the other day where this thread went, good to see it back! I'm currently doing a bondathon from DN to SF and right now I'm only on GF. So going off memory I'm going to give this one to Tomorrow Never Dies but only slightly.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Tomorrow never dies. It has an actor playing James Bond. It doesn't have a bimbo airhead and there are no midgets in sight
    For fans of Fawlty Towers, I've just realised both films have actors that were featured in the show. GG had James Cossins as the scientist who examines the bullet and TND has Geoffrey Palmer as the Admiral.
  • Have to pick TMWTGG, never been a fan of TND really.
    In the interest of moving on to more Bond movie pairings, I'll go ahead and total these votes!

The Man with the Golden Gun: 10
    Tomorrow Never Dies: 16

TND is the winner! I was very curious to see what the turn out would be, knowing that both of these tended to be towards the bottom of many fans' rankings. There was good support for both sides, though, with many surprising defenses for TMWTGG being more "classic Bond" than TND. It'll be neat to see if TMWTGG can cement this classic status and perhaps out-do TND someday; however, for today, TND is the more appreciated!

Next round begins now:

Thunderball vs. License to Kill

A Connery classic up against a very daring Dalton outing- have at it!
    Has to be Licence to Kill for me.

Thunderball and I have a curious relationship. Whether I am able to appreciate it or not seems to be solely a matter of mood and timing. One day I'd love it for it's grand scope, classic vibe, lush locations and Connery, the next day I might fall asleep due to its slow pace and dragging story. I can't wrap my head around it.

LTK though I enjoy immensely every time. It truly is one of the great classics for me!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Oooooooooh, g*ddamnit... Why did it have to be these two?

Thunderball is a great film, a giant step up from the lackluster third film, Goldfinger. Wonderful set design, great underwater sequences, a fantastic villain in Largo, and a decent 60s Bond Girl in Domino. There's literally nothing I have to say negatively about Thunderball.

License to Kill is a damned good film, not a true step up from The Living Daylights, but equally as good. Sanchez is Dalton's best villain, and at least they grabbed one of the better Felix Leiters to reprise his role. Being tied with TLD, this is instantly the best Bond film of the 80s, and just one of my favorites overall.

After careful consideration, much thought, and a lot of sweat, I have to choose License to Kill. It's just an amazing film.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 3,336
    2 bond movies i love.

Have to give it to Thunderball #10 against LTK #11
    Dosen't get closer for any matchup i think
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Thunderball by far. I like Licence to Kill but you just can't beat Connery at his best.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I just finished watching LTK as part of my SP Bondathon and will post my detailed review shortly. Bottom line: It's brilliant. One of the best films made by EON (in terms of plot and intensity of performances by Dalton, Davi & Del Toro).

Having said that, it's not even worthwhile to compare it to the legend that is TB. This is Connery at the top of his game, and that in itself (even if the associated film was a piece of 's' which it most certainly is not - it's excellent...) is enough to give it a clear and decisive victory, no offense to Dalton or anyone involved in LTK.

The girls alone can give TB a win before the boots are laced up, even if Connery was not involved.