The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    edited August 2015 Posts: 432
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    one thing I can think of is perhaps it wasn't the 'Christmas' movie that everyone had wanted, as it is very dark material containing some sensitive subject matter. Who knows, though. It blew me away and totally fit the winter I found myself in when I first saw it in theaters.

@Creasy47 that might very well be the reason. Too bad, maybe they should have marketed it for a October/November release. Lots of good thrillers usually come out around that time. For example; Prisoners, Nightcrawler aswell as Gone Girl. Around Halloween could be the best time since you are in a darker mood, which is very different from the Winter/December feeling
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Pajan005, that just might help. Let's hope they plan something like that if any sequels do manage to see the light of day in the near future. They can't wait too long, though, or it'll fizzle out and be redone in ten to twenty years because Craig and Mara will be too old. I hope that doesn't happen.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I haven't read the books, although I've seen all the Swedish films.

The 2nd one was excellent in my view and perfect for a film.

The third one, however, dragged a little and was not quite as good for me......it had a lot of court room drama (ironically reminiscent of Fincher's The Social Network so he would be perfect for it) and so I don't know how commercially viable it would be these days.

I realize that the American version has undergone a lot of rewrites and will be quite different, but I just don't see how they could make a commercially successful film out of the 3rd book (assuming that the Swedish version that I saw was close to the original book which I've not read).

They may end up switching it up or combining as @Pajan005 has said. They did something similar with the Dan Brown novels by filming Da Vinci Code before Angels and Demons (which preceded it novel-wise) and now going to Inferno before the Lost Symbol, which actually came before Inferno book-wise.
    edited August 2015 Posts: 432
    EDIT:
    Not sure if it would be rushed. If we have Fincher and good writer on board they could pull it off. Besides I would be up for a 3 hour epic thriller, especially from these stories. They are really intriguing. Rooney and Daniel are likable and terrific in as their characters. I would not be so happy it any of them were recast

If that would be the case you think the title would stay on as "The Girl who Played with Fire" even it is both books in one. I hope it wouldn't be too misleading for the fans of the books
    Guess its 3 years to Bond 25 then which without doubt will be DC's final Bond!
    I would really want the next one out in 2017. But, that's also my inner Bond film craving who's speaking
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Guess its 3 years to Bond 25 then which without doubt will be DC's final Bond!

I can live with that
    <:-P
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited August 2015 Posts: 4,554
    deleted
    TGWTDT turned me into a big DC fan. I really wanted to see Rooney Mara as Lisbeth, and she didn't disappoint, but I ended up just as impressed with DC's performance. It took me only a few minutes to forget all about him as James Bond.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    TripAces wrote: »
    TGWTDT turned me into a big DC fan. I really wanted to see Rooney Mara as Lisbeth, and she didn't disappoint, but I ended up just as impressed with DC's performance. It took me only a few minutes to forget all about him as James Bond.

It didn't work for me, I found Craig to be a horrible casting mistake. They should have casted a Scandinavian actor, that was an absolute must.

Don't get me wrong, the movie itself is quite good, Rooney Mara is absolutely brilliant and she should have gotten statues for that performance.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 11,425
    This is not meant as a dig at Craig but is it possible that Sony feel the lead male was miscast. As I've said before, outside of Bond Craig is not exactly box office magic - quite the opposite infact.

In some respects it's actually not all that surprising that he has the next two years free...

Which makes we wonder what he actually does with his time. He appears to have essentially stopped working outside of Bond.

I know he has a beautiful wife And more money than he can ever spend, but what does he actually do with his time? I suppose actors are experts at filing idle time - it's part of the job.

Edit: I just read @BondJasonBond006 comment above and couldn't agree more about Craig.

I was really excited about seeing TGWTDT and thought the trailers looked excellent, but when I saw it I was really disappointed. I think part of it is that I'm not 100% convinced that Craig is the great actor he's made out to be. But it wasn't just Craig. The book is a decent enough thriller but the film just didn't capture the danger and suspense for me. The torture chamber sequence was very unoriginal and lacking in genuine creepiness. Not Finchers best work by any means.
    Getafix wrote: »
    This is not meant as a dig at Craig but is it possible that Sony feel the lead male was miscast. As I've said before, outside of Bond Craig is not exactly box office magic - quite the opposite infact.

In some respects it's actually not all that surprising that he has the next two years free...

Which makes we wonder what he actually does with his time. He appears to have essentially stopped working outside of Bond.

I know he has a beautiful wife And more money than he can ever spend, but what does he actually do with his time? I suppose actors are experts at filing idle time - it's part of the job.

This is what I have gathered:

He put in two straight years of heavy work. Dreamhouse, Cowboys and Aliens, TGWTDT, and then Skyfall. He went thru physical transformations for each. And three of those required world premieres and lots of press junkets and interviews.

By winter of 2013, he was gassed.

He dabbled in Broadway and pulled out of two films at the last minute. I think he had some cosmetic surgery done and laid low in 2014. But he's probably right to take it easy, at his age, between Bond films.

As for box office...C&A and TGWTDT were a little disappointing but not outright bombs. Similarly, wth has Christian Bale done outside of DK films? Brad Pitt and George Clooney haven't been killing it at the BO either lately.
    I was really excited about seeing TGWTDT and thought the trailers looked excellent, but when I saw it I was really disappointed. I think part of it is that I'm not 100% convinced that Craig is the great actor he's made out to be. But it wasn't just Craig. The book is a decent enough thriller but the film just didn't capture the danger and suspense for me. The torture chamber sequence was very unoriginal and lacking in genuine creepiness. Not Finchers best work by any means.

Interesting. I thought it was downright creepy because of the use of Enya as the background music! Fincher has a way with music.
    edited August 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I absolutely loved everything about TGWTDT.

Superior cinematic experience for me from start to finish, and I actually really liked DC in it (although I agree that he doesn't appear to be much of a box office draw outside of Bond).

Fincher is a genius. He hasn't let me down for over a decade. Even House of Cards is spectacular.

He put in two straight years of heavy work. Dreamhouse, Cowboys and Aliens, TGWTDT, and then Skyfall. He went thru physical transformations for each. And three of those required world premieres and lots of press junkets and interviews.

He dabbled in Broadway and pulled out of two films at the last minute. I think he had some cosmetic surgery done and laid low in 2014. But he's probably right to take it easy, at his age, between Bond films.

As for box office...C&A and TGWTDT were a little disappointing but not outright bombs. Similarly, wth has Christian Bale done outside of DK films? Brad Pitt and George Clooney haven't been killing it at the BO either lately.

Fair comment. But Bale and Pitt at least have at some point been bankable stars, with or without a franchise. I don't think Craig has demonstrated that. I don't care really. All I'm bothered about is what he's like as Bond and I think he's fine in the role - not my favourite but I have no burning desire to see him go either.

I can see he would just want to take time off. I can't imagine making films like Cowboys and Aliens is very rewarding (apart from the money, which I don't think he needs).

Did he have plastic surgery?

Fair comment. But Bale and Pitt at least have at some point been bankable stars, with or without a franchise. I don't think Craig has demonstrated that. I don't care really. All I'm bothered about is what he's like as Bond and I think he's fine in the role - not my favourite but I have no burning desire to see him go either.

I can see he would just want to take time off. I can't imagine making films like Cowboys and Aliens is very rewarding (apart from the money, which I don't think he needs).

I certainly wasn't trying to make a comment about Bale or Pitt or Clooney as bad actors. I should clear that up. I like all three. But the BO seems to be driven by three things now: 1. Comic book heroes; 2. Stupid comedies; 3. animated films for kids. After that, it's a crapshoot. I think all three of those actors, and Craig as well, now want to make good films or films they are passionate about. They have their money. They probably couldn't care less about reviews or BO appeal. Good for them. (Did you see bale in The Machinist or Out of the Furnace? Perfect examples.)

I have no definitive proof that he did. But going back and looking at the domestic violence psa he did here in April 2014...

and then the Spectre photo call in December a few months later, the difference was night and day. I am positive he did a little work. Don't blame him. Whoever did it, did it well.

LOL...that article features a pic of the most ridiculous pose a Bond girl has ever been subjected to: the Gemma Arterton "sitting-up-but-with-the-sheet-held-up-to-cover-my-breasts" move. Ugh

LOL...that article features a pic of the most ridiculous pose a Bond girl has ever been subjected to: the Gemma Arterton "sitting-up-but-with-the-sheet-held-up-to-cover-my-breasts" move. Ugh

Another view of that pose
    gemma1.jpg
    I really don't like the Fields character in QoS. Don't know if it's Arterton or just the character but she reminds me of Goodnight.
    From the looks of things it will be a long time until we see Daniel in a film outside of Bond again. I'm wondering what he'll do after his tenure is over? Perhaps he will stick to theatre. I think it's a bit of shame personally. I think he has a lot potential to act in other great films, but it's his choice not mine.

What @TripAces said really put things into perspective, that could be way he went away from it all. Almost kind of like what happened with Bond at the beginning of SF

I certainly wasn't trying to make a comment about Bale or Pitt or Clooney as bad actors. I should clear that up. I like all three. But the BO seems to be driven by three things now: 1. Comic book heroes; 2. Stupid comedies; 3. animated films for kids. After that, it's a crapshoot. I think all three of those actors, and Craig as well, now want to make good films or films they are passionate about. They have their money. They probably couldn't care less about reviews or BO appeal. Good for them. (Did you see bale in The Machinist or Out of the Furnace? Perfect examples.)

I have no definitive proof that he did. But going back and looking at the domestic violence psa he did here in April 2014...

and then the Spectre photo call in December a few months later, the difference was night and day. I am positive he did a little work. Don't blame him. Whoever did it, did it well.

BO should not be important to actors anyway, it's other people's worry - and it's mostly unpredictable. The pay cheques should not be that important, either once the actors are comfortable already. And often they indeed aren't, especially to those who don't particularly seem to care about money or spending it such as Bale. Btw, he says that when he gets nervous about acting he just thinks it doesn't matter, nobody's gonna see it anyway and that's calming. :)) And he was wonderful in the two movies you mentioned and for instance Harsh Times and Rescue Dawn, movies that were never going to be big at BO anyway... I bet he didn't expect anyone would see The Figher, either. ;) I'm sure the actors you mentioned want to do movies they're interested in and work with people they want to work with and BO is not really a concern, which IMO is how it should be. (Well I'm sure about Bale, but I assume that's the case with the others.)

As to "what have they done" - well seems to me "more" - compared to those others Craig apparently works less for whatever reasons. I've said before that I think it's a pity. Can't blame him for wanting to do theatre if he enjoys that. Having just witnessed David Suchet on stage I realized I'd happily pay a bloody fortune to see Bale do theatre and therefore I guess I should just be grateful he won't. :D If Craig would do West End I'd certainly see if I could go... (Seeing Sam Mendes' Charlie And The Chocolate Factory on Monday, btw.)
    I saw him in Betrayal on Broadway in late 2013, and he definitely looked somewhat like the clip above (same hair too). Quite worn down, although his performance was brilliant.

I'm not sure if he's done cosmetic work, but he certainly looks much fresher now than the person I saw on stage.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I really don't like the Fields character in QoS. Don't know if it's Arterton or just the character but she reminds me of Goodnight.

I'm sort of opposite here. After M explains who she is (a filing clerk) she becomes quite a tragic character. Fields tries to be tough, ordering Bond around, but he sees through her immediately. Her death is all the more sad because we know a little about her.
    Goodnight was just an airhead.
  • RC7RC7
    talos7 wrote: »

I feel his pain. He seems to like a drink in the way I do and understands the joy of exploring pubs. I'd hate to have that kind of freedom capped.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Would millions and millions of dollars help?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I wonder if he really said all this. But if he did, then I would advise him to retire from the role, take his many millions and move to a remote island where he can get drunk as much as he wants.
    PS: he looks absolutely awful in those pictures. I really hope the make up department of the Spectre production does good work or this will be another DAF incident.
  • RC7RC7
    talos7 wrote: »
    Would millions and millions of dollars help?

No. I've no interest in being a multi-millionaire who can't visit a pub.
    I wonder if he really said all this. But if he did, then I would advise him to retire from the role, take his many millions and move to a remote island where he can get drunk as much as he wants.
    PS: he looks absolutely awful in those pictures. I really hope the make up department of the Spectre production does good work or this will be another DAF incident.

I think he looks fine. He is 47, after all. People forget that. I am about six weeks younger than he; the hair is going gray, the wrinkles are setting in, the skin on my neck is getting saggier. Ugh.
    He looks pretty good. Craig was never a catwalk model anyway, so I don't think it impacts him as much as others.

I thought he looked worst, ironically, at his introduction as Bond on the boat in 2005.

image943833x.jpg