The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

Do you see Mendes doing 25? I don't.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2015 Posts: 23,883
    There is a strong possibility - if it is a direct follow on from SP.

There is a lot to tell re: the Blofeld story and if they decide to make it a trilogy or something then for consistency's sake, he may be back on board. It certainly will give him a deep arc similar to Nolan's Batman scenario, which may appeal to him from a creative perspective.
    I haven't read the leaks, but think, you have, so you have a better view on things.
    This is not from the leaks, but rather from the trailer (which indicates that Craig's run is going to have narrative continuity from CR onwards) and the fact they are possibly (and even this is not fully known yet) introducing Blofeld in SP. It's unlikely that all of the story is going to be about Spectre and Blofeld - which logically means there will be more to tell - why waste it all in one movie when you can have a more deep narrative that could keep Craig interested for longer?

I know that it was initially conceived by Logan (and publicly stated) that B24/25 would be a one-two punch but Mendes refused to do two in a row.

Having said that, Mendes initially refused to return for SP as well, so anything is possible in this business.

If SP is a box-office and critical smash, I'm sure it is possible to lure him back (on his terms of course) if they want. That doesn't mean they have to though, which is my point. They can easily go to another director and carry on whatever open ended elements they introduce in SP (like they appear to be doing with Mr. White from CR/Campbell & QoS/Forster). I hope that this is the route they take, so we get someone new in the chair.
  • RC7RC7
    I reckon they should follow through with two more Blofeld stories after this. Have DC truly burnt out by the end of B26. Then move on.
  • RC7RC7
    I reckon they should follow through with two more Blofeld stories after this. Have DC truly burnt out by the end of B26. Then move on.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited May 2015 Posts: 2,138
    This is my big mate http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0012683/ I grew up with his nieces.

"And that's not surprising. Just by looking at Craig's Bond films and the talent bieng pulled in, why would he want to leave? He's doing what he loves and whether one likes or dislikes his interpretation, he's doing something different and has made the role his own. The producers and he have an amazing relationship dynamic, Craig is popular, has brought respectability back to the series and is bankable for the series both financially and i terms of attracting legitimate strong actors i.e. an actors' actor.
    Craig will definitely be around for Bond 25 and there's a strong possibility, depending on timing that he'll be back for Bond 26"

You got this spot on. It's going to be about timing. DC as most of you know is 47. Moore was 57 when he did AVTAK. Moore looked too old, creepy almost with younger women. I don't see Dan going to 57. But Dan is aging better and the sleeping with every young girl around aspect is not current in Dan's tenure. If 25 was released 2017 and 26 was filming 2019 and Dan was 51, then I think he would do one more. Barbs is always adamant that he is going nowhere she will fight to keep him. There is clearly a lot of love between Barbs, Dan and Michael G.

However I do think Dan will go after 25. But more so because I think Spectre will be Michael G's last before he takes a well earned retirement. Barbs may step down after 25 she will be hitting 60 and have been in the business her whole life. With Michaels Sons Gregg and David having worked on Skyfall and now Spectre I see it as a changing of the gaurds.

I think 26 will see a new Bond, New director Potentially enter Chris Nolan?. and David & Gregg step up to take over EON.

Time well tell.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Ah, your mate is the guy with Colm who ends up killing the Duke and sally hawkins.

That's the one. he has made his career turning up on screen looking scary and saying nothing. He was some boxer in his day. Did Gangs of New York as well, mental when you see him standing in a Scorsese movie next to Decaprio and Daniel Day lewis one minute and the next sticking coin in a fruit machine down your local boozer the next week lol.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    bondjames wrote: »
    This is not from the leaks, but rather from the trailer (which indicates that Craig's run is going to have narrative continuity from CR onwards) and the fact they are possibly (and even this is not fully known yet) introducing Blofeld in SP. It's unlikely that all of the story is going to be about Spectre and Blofeld - which logically means there will be more to tell - why waste it all in one movie when you can have a more deep narrative that could keep Craig interested for longer?

I know that it was initially conceived by Logan (and publicly stated) that B24/25 would be a one-two punch but Mendes refused to do two in a row.

Having said that, Mendes initially refused to return for SP as well, so anything is possible in this business.

If SP is a box-office and critical smash, I'm sure it is possible to lure him back (on his terms of course) if they want. That doesn't mean they have to though, which is my point. They can easily go to another director and carry on whatever open ended elements they introduce in SP (like they appear to be doing with Mr. White from CR/Campbell & QoS/Forster). I hope that this is the route they take, so we get someone new in the chair.

Yes, if this is the route EON are going, I want a meaty story that unfolds over many films. Don't waste Blofeld in one movie, keep him going as Fleming and the early films did, building up that rivalry between him and Bond.

I don't know if Mendes would return for another Bond film, but as you said, nothing is certain as he said he was stone cold done after Skyfall too. I definitely think he's attracted to story above all, which this film and possible arc seems to have in spades, and the paycheck wouldn't hurt either. Barbara and Michael love having him, and they'll fight to keep him involved just as they did between Skyfall and SP's production.
    This is my big mate http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0012683/ I grew up with his nieces.

"And that's not surprising. Just by looking at Craig's Bond films and the talent bieng pulled in, why would he want to leave? He's doing what he loves and whether one likes or dislikes his interpretation, he's doing something different and has made the role his own. The producers and he have an amazing relationship dynamic, Craig is popular, has brought respectability back to the series and is bankable for the series both financially and i terms of attracting legitimate strong actors i.e. an actors' actor.
    Craig will definitely be around for Bond 25 and there's a strong possibility, depending on timing that he'll be back for Bond 26"

You got this spot on. It's going to be about timing. DC as most of you know is 47. Moore was 57 when he did AVTAK. Moore looked too old, creepy almost with younger women. I don't see Dan going to 57. But Dan is aging better and the sleeping with every young girl around aspect is not current in Dan's tenure. If 25 was released 2017 and 26 was filming 2019 and Dan was 51, then I think he would do one more. Barbs is always adamant that he is going nowhere she will fight to keep him. There is clearly a lot of love between Barbs, Dan and Michael G.

However I do think Dan will go after 25. But more so because I think Spectre will be Michael G's last before he takes a well earned retirement. Barbs may step down after 25 she will be hitting 60 and have been in the business her whole life. With Michaels Sons Gregg and David having worked on Skyfall and now Spectre I see it as a changing of the gaurds.

I think 26 will see a new Bond, New director Potentially enter Chris Nolan?. and David & Gregg step up to take over EON.

Time well tell.

Interesting thoughts on the regime change, @SirHilaryBray. It's not something I really thought about. I've read that Michael has cut down on appearances and could indeed be prepping to pass the baton. It's hard to think Barbara herself is nearing 60; she's beautiful and looks years younger that she actually is. I see her sticking around for a bit longer than Michael, especially to see Dan's era continued and eventually brought to a conclusion. She was instrumental in him getting and keeping the job, so I don't see her leaving until that work is truly done. I can't wait to see how they handle the end of the era. I think the story with Dan's Bond has been so amazing that they should give the character an actual conclusion of some sort and then start anew with another actor, a young man who they can do many films with and truly get some use out of instead of going for actors in their mid-thirties.

Yes, if this is the route EON are going, I want a meaty story that unfolds over many films. Don't waste Blofeld in one movie, keep him going as Fleming and the early films did, building up that rivalry between him and Bond.

I don't know if Mendes would return for another Bond film, but as you said, nothing is certain as he said he was stone cold done after Skyfall too. I definitely think he's attracted to story above all, which this film and possible arc seems to have in spades, and the paycheck wouldn't hurt either. Barbara and Michael love having him, and they'll fight to keep him involved just as they did between Skyfall and SP's production.

Time well tell.

Interesting thoughts on the regime change, @SirHilaryBray. It's not something I really thought about. I've read that Michael has cut down on appearances and could indeed be prepping to pass the baton. It's hard to think Barbara herself is nearing 60; she's beautiful and looks years younger that she actually is. I see her sticking around for a bit longer than Michael, especially to see Dan's era continued and eventually brought to a conclusion. She was instrumental in him getting and keeping the job, so I don't see her leaving until that work is truly done. I can't wait to see how they handle the end of the era. I think the story with Dan's Bond has been so amazing that they should give the character an actual conclusion of some sort and then start anew with another actor, a young man who they can do many films with and truly get some use out of instead of going for actors in their mid-thirties.

Great input couldn't have worded it better myself. My wife knows of Broccoli calls declaring her love I am off! Lol she is so articulate she's my one person who I would love to have dinner with dead or alive. She would be facinating BARBS CALL ME!. #InDanWeTrust
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Time well tell.

Great input couldn't have worded it better myself. My wife knows of Broccoli calls declaring her love I am off! Lol she is so articulate she's my one person who I would love to have dinner with dead or alive. She would be facinating BARBS CALL ME!. #InDanWeTrust

She definitely seems special, but considering who her father was, that isn't too much of a surprise. :)
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Do you see Mendes doing 25? I don't.

100% Mendes will this is a Mendes trilogy. As far as I am aware he and Dan are on two movie deals anyway all rumoured 25's script has already been drafted and at one stage they were talking of a two parter and filming one after the other. But there's politics going on at studio level MGM are going to take up their by back option on Sony 's 20% MGM want to be a production studio again. Sony are having to much say over production for the size of their shareholding MGM is in a far stronger position than they were In 2010 after Spyglass production bought them out and built the business back up cutting out the rott. MGM also bought out Tom Cruises 30% of United Artist and hold 100% again the futures bright for MGM, UA, EON and Bond.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 6,601
    Sir Hilary, its difficult for me to understand all of your writing without normal punctuation. Please put it in. ;)
    Sorry I get minutes each day to post here and there, I have a global dance label with 47 artists to keep happy. I just don't have time. :bz
    Ok, so I will try harder. I appreciate your posts.
    Don't forget we're in an era of "older" action heroes. Liam Neeson and Denzel Washington are in their 60s and still churning out action pics. Tom Cruise is 52 and seems to be doing even more action and stunts than ever in MI. Harrison Ford is returning to Star wars. Audiences are not going to have a problem with DC in his 50s as long as the films are good!
    Germanlady wrote: »
    DEC Nepal Earthquake Appeal: A Message from Daniel Craig

Well done Dan for getting involved in this cause! =D>
    edited May 2015 Posts: 2,138
    =D> Dan looks the statesman now think he will look even more cold and calculated as Bond. He is aging well and looking good.
    Bond and Bond girl.
    dame-diana-rigg-with-daniel-craig-gina-mckee-at-the-national-youth-BWG3D0_zpszn1ypnay.jpg

Dame Diana Rigg With Daniel Craig & Gina Mckee At The National Youth Theatre / The Energy Group Lunch. 1997
    Great find!
    Quiz question Both Dan and Dalton have played Bond. But what other characters have they both played??
    In theater?
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Quiz question Both Dan and Dalton have played Bond. But what other characters have they both played??

Lord Asriel from The Golden Compass
    A. Lord Asriel the Golden Compass. Dalton played the character in theatre prior to the film well done sir!
    Didn't know, that was ever in theater.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited May 2015 Posts: 1,756
    Let's just take a moment to remember:
    Our-Friends-in-the-North--001.jpg
    00567285-9C35-FD91-161C19A7C3861A60.jpg
    Craiggeordie.JPG
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    A werewolf?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    He could do a remake of Zardoz.
    Let's just take a moment to remember:
    00567285-9C35-FD91-161C19A7C3861A60.jpg
    Bloody 'Ell!