The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• edited April 2015 Posts: 11,425
    TripAces wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    I think Fincher is an interesting director, but he failed to deliver with TGWTDT. May be the source material isn't actually all that great (probably true) but it just wasn't all that thrilling.

Dare I mention the DC factor as well? He wows millions as Bond, but the box office evidence is that without the tux he doesn't have quite the appeal that some on here imagine.

I think the fact that they stuck so faithfully to the text with the depiction of Lisbeth Salander may also have been an issue. Rooney Mara is a very good looking actress, but (in-keeping with the book's description) the film does not convey that. Not a criticism, but I do think it may have impacted on the film's overall success. Sometimes you do perhaps need to take a bit of artisitic licence.

TGWTDT was a terrific film. Fincher was the right choice to direct. And Mara didn't exactly "look good" in the film. The dyed-black hair combined with the blond eyebrows was a peculiar, off-putting look. I thought Mara was fantastic, and it was actually TGWTDT that made me look at DC differently, as being more than just Bond.

Can't agree. It looks good but falls flat in the thriller department. I remember really looking forward to it and just being a bit disappointed when I saw it. The trailer was good, but the end product just didn't pack the punch I was expecting. It's one of the films that made me realise that DC (outside of Bond) is not always best used as the leading man. He's had a number of opportunities outside of Bond to develop nice little parallel franchises (Golden Compass and Dragon Tattoo) and both have died after one movie. I don't think that's entirely coincidence.

I much prefer DC in supporting roles, or as part of a larger dramatic ensemble - I think that's where he's happiest and when he does his best work.
    I think Fincher is an interesting director, but he failed to deliver with TGWTDT. May be the source material isn't actually all that great (probably true) but it just wasn't all that thrilling.

Dare I mention the DC factor as well? He wows millions as Bond, but the box office evidence is that without the tux he doesn't have quite the appeal that some on here imagine.

I think the fact that they stuck so faithfully to the text with the depiction of Lisbeth Salander may also have been an issue. Rooney Mara is a very good looking actress, but (in-keeping with the book's description) the film does not convey that. Not a criticism, but I do think it may have impacted on the film's overall success. Sometimes you do perhaps need to take a bit of artisitic licence.

TGWTDT was a terrific film. Fincher was the right choice to direct. And Mara didn't exactly "look good" in the film. The dyed-black hair combined with the blond eyebrows was a peculiar, off-putting look. I thought Mara was fantastic, and it was actually TGWTDT that made me look at DC differently, as being more than just Bond.

Can't agree. It looks good but falls flat in the thriller department. I remember really looking forward to it and just being a bit disappointed when I saw it. The trailer was good, but the end product just didn't pack the punch I was expecting. It's one of the films that made me realise that DC (outside of Bond) is not always best used as the leading man. He's had a number of opportunities outside of Bond to develop nice little parallel franchises (Golden Compass and Dragon Tattoo) and both have died after one movie. I don't think that's entirely coincidence.

I much prefer DC in supporting roles, or as part of a larger dramatic ensemble - I think that's where he's happiest and when he does his best work.

There was also Cowboys & Aliens, whose failure was far from Craig's fault - but his performance left me wanting more. Ironically his TGWTDT role has most of the lines of any of his recent films. I hate how little he actually speaks in Quantum of Solace and Skyfall. It actually stands out to me while watching - it is distracting. It's the same in C&A. Give the man some dialogue!
    That's what happens when you make a Bond movie centred on M...
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    That's what happens when you make a Bond movie centred on M...

SF was centered on M? Really? Did we watch the same film? LOL

Okay, may be slight exaggeration, but I think you know what I mean.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited April 2015 Posts: 4,043

@Getafix

The chemistry between Craig and Mara was plain to me, they got that so much better than the Swedish version, in fact the relationship of Lisbeth & Blomvist was one of the strongest aspects of Fincher's film and I don't think DF got it wrong as well, he took a rather pulpy flawed novel and turned it into a very stylish and for me and others a thrilling film.

It was refreshing to see Craig deliver a more ordinary man like role and he conveyed the deflated man who had his ego take a battering beautifully. Yes Mara was the more showy and impressive role but it wouldn't have been half as good without Craig's generous and skilled performance.

Fincher's TGWTDT was not faithful to the novel, in fact fans of the book quite sniffy about his and Zallian's changes but I thought it made the story much more fluid.

Also as far as Mara's suitability to the role she is supposed to be a girl that's what makes her under estimated, the only point where she emerges as the formidable Woman is when she turns the tables on her sleazy guardian Bjurman, other than that she converys the feeling of being a girl as the author wrote the character.

While I think Rapace delivers a more impressive and dynamic turn she doesn't strike me as being a girl, she looks like a woman.

I don't think it's one of Fincher's strongest film but I prefer it to Gone Girl, I've watched it a number of times and each time and enjoy it immensely. I'm sure if Dalton has played Blomvist it would have been much better for you.
    With Dalton it would obviously have been a classic! That's just stating the obvious! ;)

It's not a bad film, and DC does give a very generous performance in letting Mara take centre stage. May be she's the weak point?

Definitely better than Gone Girl, without a doubt.
    Shardlake wrote: »

@Getafix

The chemistry between Craig and Mara was plain to me, they got that so much better than the Swedish version, in fact the relationship of Lisbeth & Blomvist was one of the strongest aspects of Fincher's film and I don't think DF got it wrong as well, he took a rather pulpy flawed novel and turned it into a very stylish and for me and others a thrilling film.

It was refreshing to see Craig deliver a more ordinary man like role and he conveyed the deflated man who had his ego take a battering beautifully. Yes Mara was the more showy and impressive role but it wouldn't have been half as good without Craig's generous and skilled performance.

Fincher's TGWTDT was not faithful to the novel, in fact fans of the book quite sniffy about his and Zallian's changes but I thought it made the story much more fluid.

Also as far as Mara's suitability to the role she is supposed to be a girl that's what makes her under estimated, the only point where she emerges as the formidable Woman is when she turns the tables on her sleazy guardian Bjurman, other than that she converys the feeling of being a girl as the author wrote the character.

While I think Rapace delivers a more impressive and dynamic turn she doesn't strike me as being a girl, she looks like a woman.

I don't think it's one of Fincher's strongest film but I prefer it to Gone Girl, I've watched it a number of times and each time and enjoy it immensely. I'm sure if Dalton has played Blomvist it would have been much better for you.

A good review of the film and why it worked for me too. I think Craig's performance was indeed generous, skilled and far superior to the Swedish actor's. He deliberately gave a very subtle performance to support Mara. It's the kind of acting that really separates him from most major actors, particularly action stars who ham it up.

My main problem with the film, and what I think may have hurt its BO, is that everyone read the books and millions saw the Swedish versions. If this had been the first filmed version of the first book, it would have had a much easier road. It will be interesting to see if Sony moves forward with the books now that there is a 4th one. I kind of hope Craig pulls out, as I think it is time for him to take on some big film roles that really tax his acting skills.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Okay, may be slight exaggeration, but I think you know what I mean.

I did. I was giving you a hard time.

UN Spokesperson@UN_Spokesperson

Tomorrow Ban Ki-moon to Designate Actor Daniel Craig as Global Advocate for Elimination of Mines & Explosive Hazards

I guess, they asked him, as he already did two vids for the cause, but it must really mean a lot to him, that he would put himself into the spotlight. Deliberately ;)
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Germanlady wrote: »
    UN Spokesperson@UN_Spokesperson

Tomorrow Ban Ki-moon to Designate Actor Daniel Craig as Global Advocate for Elimination of Mines & Explosive Hazards

I guess, they asked him, as he already did two vids for the cause, but it must really mean a lot to him, that he would put himself into the spotlight. Deliberately ;)

=D> good!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    What do you make of this, @Murdock?
    Fairplay to DC in getting involved in such a worthwhile cause. =D>
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited April 2015 Posts: 28,694

I think the fact that they stuck so faithfully to the text with the depiction of Lisbeth Salander may also have been an issue. Rooney Mara is a very good looking actress, but (in-keeping with the book's description of the character) the film does not convey that. Not a criticism, but I do think it may have impacted on the film's overall success. Sometimes you do perhaps need to take a bit of artisitic licence.

Can't remember the book very well, having read it a while ago, but not sure Mara and Craig had much on-screen chemistry or connection either. Something that works on the page can seem less convincing when conveyed unaltered onto the screen. When you actually see the characters on screen you need more convincing that they'd be drawn to each other. Just a thought. May be it was the writing, the cast. Dunno. But I think the film lacked a certain spark or edge. And the final scenes with Stellan Skarsgård in his basement were just lame. It felt like Fincher didn't really know how to handle that section and just resorted to a very tired Hollywood psycho cliche. Again, that section of the book perhaps required a little artisitic licence to be applied to make it fresh.

I love the book myself, though you seem quite foggy on it @Getafix.

Changing Lisbeth's look to make her more attractive would be an absolute ruin to the very idea of her character. Lisbeth would never care about beautifying herself and her overall look isn't close to what the modern conception of beauty is, which is why she is so interesting. She's not concerned about what people think of her eccentricities and style and because of that she wouldn't change that aspect of herself for anyone. If you start making Lisbeth more beautified and less punk, you might as well just rename her and make her into an annoyingly bubbly extrovert because she wouldn't be the same character at all.

I fail to see how being faithful to the source is causing issues here. I liked the Martin sections as well, finding them spot on with the book.

Overall, this film is one of the better adapted books in a good long while with unbeatable atmosphere and tension. This owes a lot to Trent Reznor's brilliant score just as much as it does Fincher's camerawork and overall aesthetic.
    Only that staying admirably true to the character makes it a harder box office sell. That's all. I don't think they should have done it - just saying that it was a decision that may have cost box office. In the past they almost certainly would have changed the character, which obviously changes the story a lot.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 6,601
    Daniel Craig appointed UN Global Advocate for Elimination of Mines
    I think, this will make positive rounds. Nice PR. My fangirl is proud.

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/actor-daniel-craig-who-was-named-as-the-un-global-advocate-news-photo/469699054

fw%209_zps1agbmw7l.jpg

fw%205_zpsod5htgmb.jpg

fw%206_zpshtj0ran3.jpg

fw%201_zpskhljcjze.jpg

Europa Newswire‏@PhotosENews
    Daniel Craig at UN #JamesBond #CelebrityNews #morethanmines #DanielCraig_007 #mineaction #nomoremines #DanielCraig

CCkQSIeVEAAzzC8.jpg

DTD
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Only that staying admirably true to the character makes it a harder box office sell. That's all. I don't think they should have done it - just saying that it was a decision that may have cost box office. In the past they almost certainly would have changed the character, which obviously changes the story a lot.

I honestly don't see that as a factor at all. From a male perspective, I never sat watching this film and thought to myself, "You know what'd make this movie a bigger smash? A sexed-up Lisbeth. Yeah."

If people can't accept who a character is or what they look like in a film, that's their issue, but creators shouldn't be forced to alter the characters in their films just to please a section of the public who are so shallow they care for flashy material objects and the kind of outer beauty seen only on heavily Photoshopped magazine covers above all else. I've said my piece on this.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 11,425
    I think your attitude is admirable and we'd have a lot more interesting films on the market if the wider cinema going public shared your views/tastes.

There are far too few complex character roles for women in cinema, but sadly the market and the films that are produced suggest that's not what most ordinary folk want.

The relative commercial failure of a film like this will only have convinced the suits even more that you need a sexy female lead .

I tend to agree with @Germanlady though - couldn't the film have been made for less, making the necessary profit margin less for a sequel? May be they went OTT on budget. Should have shot it in Eastern Europe where it's much cheaper.
    I think your attitude is admirable and we'd have a lot more interesting films on the market if the wider cinema going public shared your views/tastes.

There are far too few complex character roles for women in cinema, but sadly the market and the films that are produced suggest that's not what most ordinary folk want.

The relative commercial failure of a film like this will only have convinced the suits even more that you need a sexy female lead .

I tend to agree with @Germanlady though - couldn't the film have been made for less, making the necessary profit margin less for a sequel? May be they went OTT on budget. Should have shot it in Eastern Europe where it's much cheaper.

That is all very true, sadly, and reflects the state of things now in moviemaking which has been all about taking old ideas instead of making new ones. Studios and investors won't take even the slightest bit of risk on anything anymore if they have a single doubt that a film won't bring them some massive returns, which makes them brush off old films to redo because it proved successful previously.

To make matters worse, people come out in droves to see big action blockbusters with zero substance, but don't for films that are deep, complex and interesting at the human level. Of all the criticism I wave at it, the Oscars is quite good about bringing films like this into the limelight during awards season and making their presence known though they may've slipped through the cinema cracks along the way.

I don't want to generalize here, though. A lot of the viewing public is smart with their money and know great stories being told when they see them. Because of this section of the theater-going population, films with substance and impact to them have proved successful. Hopefully this trend continues and the success of films like Inception in the theaters is repeated again and again.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »

There was also Cowboys & Aliens, whose failure was far from Craig's fault - but his performance left me wanting more. Ironically his TGWTDT role has most of the lines of any of his recent films. I hate how little he actually speaks in Quantum of Solace and Skyfall. It actually stands out to me while watching - it is distracting. It's the same in C&A. Give the man some dialogue!

I have to disagree about the dialogue. My image of Bond is more quiet, loner-ish. His non-verbal cues and motions are what make his Bond IMO, and where Craig's acting shines the most.
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »

I have to disagree about the dialogue. My image of Bond is more quiet, loner-ish. His non-verbal cues and motions are what make his Bond IMO, and where Craig's acting shines the most.

Yeah, the subtleties of Dan's Bond performances are breathtaking. His 007 truly proves that actions speak louder than words.
  • I agree with the previous posters, Craig is convincing exactly because his characters are not overburdened with dialogue, rather his expressions, body language and the almost quiet way in which he speaks set the mood and allow the viewer some room for interpretation. In an age when we are bombarded with noise and babble, a bit of subtlety goes a long way.

A bit off topic, but I really enjoy Kenneth Branagh's Wallander for the same reason.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I'm a big fan of Wallander and agree.
    DEC Nepal Earthquake Appeal: A Message from Daniel Craig
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    A family friend of mines played one of the heavies alongside Dan in Layer cake. I spoke with him last week and he said, the last time he caught up with Dan was in London at a charity gala a few months ago, he looked the happiest guy on the planet and told him that he has no intentions of walking aways from Bond as long a stories are strong and it continue to attact the like of Waltz and Bardem any other project would beneath what he is doing, he is having the time of his life as Bond. He did reitterate again that when he gets too old for it he hopes someone tells him.
    edited May 2015 Posts: 28,694
    @SirHilaryBray, do you and your friend really think Dan will go beyond the five films he's bound to by contract? I'd love for him to be the longest running Bond going, but I think that may just be a wishful dream. I hope what your friend has recounted is true though, as he's done quite a lot for Bond not only as a character but as a brand/franchise, so more of him in that role would not go unappreciated.

EON have finally been able to play with SPECTRE again in the films, and I want Dan to have a few films to really tackle that threat because his interpretation of the character is perfect for it. It's also a great chance to go back to Fleming and adapt something akin to the Blofeld trilogy. I'm excited for the future.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    A family friend of mines played one of the heavies alongside Dan in Layer cake. I spoke with him last week and he said, the last time he caught up with Dan was in London at a charity gala a few months ago, he looked the happiest guy on the planet and told him that he has no intentions of walking aways from Bond as long a stories are strong and it continue to attact the like of Waltz and Bardem any other project would beneath what he is doing, he is having the time of his life as Bond. He did reitterate again that when he gets too old for it he hopes someone tells him.

And that's not surprising. Just by looking at Craig's Bond films and the talent bieng pulled in, why would he want to leave? He's doing what he loves and whether one likes or dislikes his interpretation, he's doing something different and has made the role his own. The producers and he have an amazing relationship dynamic, Craig is popular, has brought respectability back to the series and is bankable for the series both financially and i terms of attracting legitimate strong actors i.e. an actors' actor.
    Craig will definitely be around for Bond 25 and there's a strong possibility, depending on timing that he'll be back for Bond 26.
    Sir Hilary, thanks for the report :) Its visa versa - Bond was very good to him and he to Bond.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    This not surprising to hear actually.

DC hasn't made a movie since SF, and his other franchise (TGWTDT) is on death row (which is very disappointing for me because I love what Fincher/Craig/Mara did with the first one).

I hope he sticks around for a while. Having said that, I hope they move on from Mendes after B25.