Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Just done a double feature of WW2 films I've never seen: 'Guns of Navarone' and 'Where Eagles Dare'. Both are fantastic! The chemistry of the main cast in 'Navarone' is immense, and the level of action in 'Eagles' is just through the roof. I've never seen so many explosions and fire fights in a single movie before, and it's almost 50 years old! Eastwood and Burton were proper badasses too. I have to say, I love how german outfits always seem to fit the main heroes when they need to put some on.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'Dressed To Kill' (1980)

What an expertly filmed, directed, and shot thriller this was. Blew me away and I can't say that I saw the twist coming. Every shot in this counts and it's something you really want to pay attention to to catch all the little nuances and creepy moments. Highly recommended, especially going into it knowing little-to-nothing like I did.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2015 Posts: 15,692
    I've started, for the first time ever, the Lethal Weapon series, and I've just finished the 1st and 2nd films. Gibson and Glover have an amazing chemistry together. The first movie is a bit slow to get moving, but once the story settles in, it's one heck of a thrill ride. However, I prefer the 2nd film: more action, more humour, more badassery and, of course, the addition of Joe Pesci was epic.
    I've started, for the first time ever, the Lethal Weapon series, and I've just finished the 1st and 2nd films. Gibson and Glover have an amazing chemistry together. The first movie is a bit slow to get moving, but once the story settles in, it's one heck of a thrill ride. However, I prefer the 2nd film: more action, more humour, more badassery and, of course, the addition of Joe Pesci was epic.

I seem to like the even numbered WEAPONS myself. However, having said that ... what did you think of the revelation about tying this film's baddies into Riggs' backstory? While you could see it coming, it still played about more hokey to me than just about anything else in the whole show, and is probably why I've never rewatched any of them (except #4, which somebody gave me and so I watched it again once.)
    @trevenian You are talking when the blond South African bad guy reveals he
    killed Riggs's wife
    ?

I agree, that was uncessesary, as all it did was give Mel Gibson more reasons to go full-Rambo mode on the bad guys. Ironically, the final fight in the 1st film was a lot more brutal, without all this personal stuff.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    edited August 2015 Posts: 1,874
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    'Dressed To Kill' (1980)

What an expertly filmed, directed, and shot thriller this was. Blew me away and I can't say that I saw the twist coming. Every shot in this counts and it's something you really want to pay attention to to catch all the little nuances and creepy moments. Highly recommended, especially going into it knowing little-to-nothing like I did.

Ah, de Palma, one of my favourite directors. Never tire of this film, or the much under-rated Blow Out with John Travolta. Class and both in brilliant hi-def versions. de Palma makes such good use of the widescreen format. Also, @Creasy47 check out the brilliant Obsession and cult-classic Phantom of the Paradise…oh, and while you're at it don't forget The Fury!
    Just finished the last 2 Lethal Weapon films. Very enjoyable, I think my favorite outing of the bunch is the last one, with Jet Li joining the fun. All in all, I am sad I never watched these films earlier. A highly entertaining action film series. I'll be sure to rewatch these films many times in the future! Glover's and Gibson's chemistry seem to improve with each passing installment.
    'Dressed To Kill' (1980)

Indeed, great movie. I especially love that silent scene with Angie Dickinson. It should be recommanded viewing in every film school in the world.
    @Lancaster, after the beauty that was 'Dressed To Kill,' I'll be sure to! The museum scene with Dickinson was one of the best moments in the film, totally blew my mind.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    We just got back from Terminator: Genisys. Wow, more fun than it had any right to be. Not nearly the classic that 1 or 2 is, but when the BD comes out I'll own it.
    Glad to see some more love for TG! I took my girlfriend just last night and she loved it! I consider it the 'real' T3
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Yep. My Son liked it a lot too, and he's not as easy to please as I am.
    It's kind of funny how preorders came up for Terminator Genesys showed up while the movie was still in theaters!
    I know feelings on this movie are mixed, but I feel there is HUGE potential for a directors cut. Just imagine how much was changed before studios got their mitts on it!
    @Master_Dahark, do you mean blu-ray/DVD pre-orders were appearing while the movie was still in theaters? That happens with just about every major release, sometimes even showing up on a Wednesday or Thursday before the general release.
    Well I'll be damned. This is the first time I've noticed it then.
    Well I'll be damned. This is the first time I've noticed it then.

They started doing it so soon because they think you go and see a movie, love it, come home, and while it's fresh in your mind, you'll want to pre-order it since you needn't pay for it until its home release in a few months. It's smart.
    Since the blu ray for 'Fury Road' is coming soon, I decided to finally discover this franchise, and I've just finished watching 'Mad Max' and Mad Max: The Road Warrior. The first one is excellent, I love the very low-budget aspect of the film that gives it a raw, gritty feel. Mel Gibson is a proper badass, and the film is over way too quickly. As for the 2nd one, it immediately goes in my list of favorite movies. This one is of much bigger scope and scale, and the huge final chase scene is just breathtaking. I really like post-apocalyptic movies, and these 2 Mad Max film sare instantly among the best I've seen in this genre.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The second Mad Max is a true classic. It's my favourite by far of the three Gibson films.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    But the Gibson films have nothing to offer against the brilliant piece of filmmaking that is Fury Road.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    But the Gibson films have nothing to offer against the brilliant piece of filmmaking that is Fury Road.

Just wait until you see it in HD! I was blown away by the quality when I watched my digital copy a few days ago, and even that was a streaming type of service, so I know it wasn't full 1080p like the blu-ray is going to be. Roll on September 1st.
    @DarthDimi

MMFR is this year's best movie by far and probably even the best of this decade so far. But for that final judgement I have to see it a couple of times more.

The last two films that have blown me away that much were Shaun Of The Dead in 2004 and Pitch Black in 2000.

But I have to defend the Gibson films now. Don't forget MM and RW were made in 1979/1981 with not much of a budget. Also very important is George Miller did them all, it's his vision. RW is a masterpiece in itself and there's no telling how many movies were influenced by it afterwards.
    MMFR is something different and can't possibly be compared to the original ones.

It's quite astonishing that George Miller got to do another MM film, 30 years after MMBeyond Thunderdome.
    edited August 2015 Posts: 40,534
    'Picnic at Hanging Rock' (1975)

What a terrific film. A group of college girls and their instructors in 1900 Australia take a day trip to Hanging Rock - a geological formation - for a picnic. When a few of them disappear, everyone starts to wonder where they went and what happened. I won't say more, given the heightened ambiguity throughout the movie, but once you really start to think about it, it puts a whole different spin on things and makes you look at the movie in a totally different way. I loved it.
    'Picnic at Hanging Rock' (1975)

What a terrific film. A group of college girls and their instructors in 1900 Australia take a day trip to Hanging Rock - a geological formation - for a picnic. When a few of them disappear, everyone starts to wonder where they went and what happened. I won't say more, given the heightened ambiguity throughout the movie, but once you really start to think about it, it puts a whole different spin on things and makes you look at the movie in a totally different way. I loved it.

Another classic @Creasy47. A haunting film, lovely cinematography, well acted, beautiful music and a cracking mystery. Also fell in love with Helen Morse when I saw this.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I can't wait to see Fury Road, then! :-c

EDIT: I've just finished Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome. I have no idea what I've just seen. This has to be one of the strangest, weirdest film I've ever seen. I'm sure the whole cast and crew were on serious acid while making this film. I can't even say if the film is good or bad. Compared to the first 2 films, it's pretty bad, but the whole thing is just so strange, batsh*t crazy and somehow very entertaining, but looks very cheaply made, that I can't say if it's a good or a bad film.
    Kinda wish they hadn't gone beyond THUNDERDOME, as I recall that is where the thing goes off the rails. One of those 'had to see it opening night' films that was so disappointing I have never ever seen it again, not on VHS or TBS or any other way, which is really saying something considering how often I rewatch ROAD WARRIOR (then again I've never made it through the original MAD MAX either ... must just be the even-numbered movie rule again for me, a la LETHAL WEAPON.)

Agreed about PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK, too. Genuinely intriguing little movie, a perennial for me now.
    Thunderdome is so bad it's beyond bad and almost good again.
    I have re-watched it this year on HD after not seeing it for some 20 years.

But I'm thankful for Thunderdome, without it there would now not be a Fury Road.
    edited August 2015 Posts: 23,612
    Beyond Thunderdome works for me UNTIL we get to the kids. Bartertown is exciting, but halfway through the film, everything changes into a story about children awaiting the coming of a saviour of sorts. Pathetic nonsense.
    I only like the first Mad Max film, to me it went off the rails with MM2 and Beyond Thunderdome was a WTF film. Apparently it was going to be two separate films, but for some reason the two were made one - one unholy mess. Bring back the NightRider and Goose and Max with a reason for vengeance.
    True Lies. I had never seen this one before, and I remember reading a rant by @DarthDimi about this film. I must say I agree with him. The film starts well and ends well, but the whole plot about Jamie Lee Curtis discovering that Arnie is a spy is just boring and uninteresting. Either the film should have been an hour shorter, or you remove Jamie Lee Curtis and let Arnie be a badass for 2 hours. As it stands the film is quite a chore to get through. And it's a shame, as there are some epic scenes (Arnie on the horse and Arnie flying a jet fighter).
    @DaltonCraig007

You hit the nail on the head, sir.

Cameron made 4 exquisite films IMO: The Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss and Terminator 2: Judgement Day. People kept telling me how the guy from terminator had made "the best action movie ever" with True Lies. Then I saw True Lies. And while I thought the film passable, there's absolutely nothing in it to make it "great". I'll take Die Hard, Speed, Predator, ... over TL any day. In fact, True Lies is a pretentious film. It tries to work from a very simple story - a VERY simple, almost kookoo simple story - but at the same time sells itself as the big thing to smash all big things. When Arnold & Arnold are after the slick car salesman played by Bill Paxton, I'm constantly angering up inside because that whole thing is stretched and stretched and stretched some more. The terrorist plot isn't even half as clever as the average plot in a Michael Bay film and that's saying a lot. In fact, when people rant on Michael Bay, I usually ask them, "have you seen True Lies from the guy from Titanic?", which is more than you need. Say what you want about The Rock, Pain & Gain or even Transformers: they have far more enjoyable action IMO and a story that actually keeps me invested in the film. True Lies is where the world and I chose to go separate ways. While Earth's population minus one kept worshipping Cameron for True Lies, Titanic and Avatar, I kept demonizing the man for the exact same trio of films.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I don t like True Lies, either. It is like a Brosnan Bond film with Arnold instead. Not sure which is worse.
    @DarthDimi I enjoy a lot more the films of Michael Bay and Roland Emmerich than James Cameron, apart from Terminator 1/2 and Aliens which are excellent. Give me Pearl Harbor, Transformers 1-4, The Island, Bad Boys 1-2, The Rock, Pain and Gain, Armageddon, Day after Tomorrow, 2012, 10,000 BC, Independence Day over Avatar, Titanic and True Lies any day.

@Thunderfinger I get a bigger kick from watching DAD than what I experienced with True Lies.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Is that supposed to make me happy?