Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Tonight I was watching STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS

As a huge Trekkie this was a special occasion, have I seen this movie only once at the movie theatre.
    It was riveting and spectacularly good. The parallels to Star Trek Wrath Of Khan are marvelous, especially how they play around with them.
    The "death" scene with reversed roles of Spock and Jim may well be one of the most brilliant ideas ever!
    As perfect as this movie is, the first movie in 2009 was even a tad better, probably the best remake (or reboot if you like) that was ever made in the history of movies.
    To see Leonard Nimoy once again in STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS was such a treat and he truly has written Trek history, being in the very first original pilot episode of Star Trek (the only one of the later crew) and being in the last Star Trek movie that was made.
    He was Spock from 1966-2013.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited August 2015 Posts: 23,559
    Tuulia wrote: »
    @DarthDimi, I think your review convinced me never ever to waste valuable couple of hours of my life to watch DH5, thanks.

Should you ever consider watching it, @Tuulia, please pay a lot of attention to the plot and explain to me just what's going on in this film. Also, count how many times you thought McClane was genuinely funny.

I demand another DH film if only to apologise for this mess. But then someone please bail McTiernan out of Rollerball / Basic jail first because he's the only one who apparently can make a good DH film.

This franchise is dying pretty hard.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @DarthDimi, I think your review convinced me never ever to waste valuable couple of hours of my life to watch DH5, thanks.

Should you ever consider watching it, @Tuulia, please pay a lot of attention to the plot and explain to me just what's going on in this film. Also, count how many times you thought McClane was genuinely funny.

I demand another DH film if only to apologise for this mess.
    But then someone please bail McTiernan out of Rollerball / Basic jail first because he's the only one who apparently can make a good DH film.

Sadly with how Bruce Willis has been lately I don't think we'd get another good Die hard with him...However how cool would an Al Powell focused Die Hard movie be?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2015 Posts: 15,690
    Murdock wrote: »
    However how cool would an Al Powell focused Die Hard movie be?

They'd need a big budget to buy all those twinkies for him. ;)
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 2,081
    Inside Llewyn Davis

There's plenty that's melancholy - a lot of the story, the weather, the cinematography, the sets... yet bubbling under there's humor, too. The life of Llewyn Davis is full of struggle, things keep going not as planned, but some other way. Yet, it's often quite funny, and it feels sort of tangible and believable. Good acting, and well done all with the music. Oscar Isaac in the leading role was enjoyable both as an actor and as a folk singer.

Another great piece of movie-making from the Coen brothers.

0b8d36ce-50d0-4f18-a7ec-e1020ffa3b1a.img

I demand another DH film if only to apologise for this mess. But then someone please bail McTiernan out of Rollerball / Basic jail first because he's the only one who apparently can make a good DH film.

Nope, won't even consider. I saw the trailer and wasn't tempted even then. Never heard anything good about it, and then with your review and ranking... just...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/0f/27/db/0f27db3f16efc63602ba6582bfc91b69.jpg

• edited August 2015 Posts: 12,271
    Continuing in my Stanley Kubrick marathon, I watched Dr. Strangelove for the first time. While so far The Shining is still my personal favorite of Kubrick's works, I really enjoyed Strangelove. It made me laugh several times (ex: "You'll have to answer to the Coca-Cola Company"; "What about Major Kong?"; "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room!")! I found the film VERY effective as a comedy and a satire - one that was a lot more applicable at the time of its release, but still not entirely irrelevant today. I would recommend it to anyone - I might even buy it and add it to my collection.

I didn't address it before, but I also recently watched A Clockwork Orange for the first time recently (believe it or not, The Shining was the only Kubrick film I've watched before). It's a film I appreciate at a distance, because while the themes are exceptionally interesting and the film itself is very thought-provoking, it was still difficult for me to sit through some of the content (you all know what I mean). A well-made movie, but hard to watch at times for me.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I just finished Commando. Again, a film I had not seen before and heard so much great things about it. Well, this goes straight up amongst my favorite Arnie movies, and all-time favorite action movies! The bodycount is sky high, especially in the utter epic mayhem of a finale, Arnie is super badass, all he does is kill a lot of people and deliver hilarious one liners. This film is a solid 10/10 for me, a complete blast.
    In terms of WAY over the top action entertainment, I give ACTION JACKSON the nod over COMMANDO, but it is a near-thing. Joel Silver was delivering nearly all the great and not-so-great-but-super-fun action beats for awhile. I've often wondered if screenwriter DeSouza came up with the name John Matrix as some sort of generic modern/techno thing. When I rewatched COMMANDO about 15 years back, it was after THE MATRIX (the last movie I saw 4 times in a theater) had come out, when Arnold is carrying Sully to the cliff to drop him, all I kept saying to myself is 'the matrix has you.'
    I'm continuing the day with more action and fun, with Rush Hour and Rush Hour 2! Now, I've seen the first one many, many times, but I never saw the 2 sequels. The 1998 film is one of my most watched films alongside GE. It's just 90 minutes of pure, mindless, epic fun with great chemistry between Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan. The 2nd one, while not as good, maintains the same level of fun and epicness. A lot of fun fight scenes with awesome stunts by Jackie, and Tucker is even more hilarious in this one. I'll watch the 3rd one tonight.
    Based on all the praise i heard for it a few pages back, i decided to watch The Insider (1999) and i absolutely loved it 8,5/10. Thanks for the recommendation.

Off the Michael Mann films i've seen i rank em like this

1. Heat
    2. The Insider
    3. Collateral
    4. Public Enemies

Im planning to see Manhunter and Thief pretty soon.

And one last thing do you guys recommend: The Last of the Mohicans ?
    @Crazysoul95, Excellent, sir! Glad you liked The Insider. And I love your list. :)

Prepare for some 80s power with Manhunter and Thief. ;-)

You should give Blackhat a try as well.

Mohicans is a difficult film for me. Great score, excellent performances and if you have seen M:I 2, you'll recognise the pure theft of a scene from Mohicans. Other than that, It's perhaps one of my least favourite Mann films along with Ali and The Keep. But I know it's a personal thing. Some folks are really into this whole Indians thing.
    @Crazysoul95, good to hear you also enjoyed The Insider. Like Dimi, I never cared for The Last Of The Mohicans much. I recently re-watched it, and it still left me indifferent, despite all the drama that should have made me care. Not that it's bad, of course, but just, well... just ok for me. It's all opinion though, and some people love it, so don't let our comments stop you from watching it. :)
    I agree with @Tuulia, whatever we have to say about it, please discover the film and tell us what you thought of it. My cousin introduced me to it when we were still in our early teens. She loved the film, bought the soundtrack and got totally into Daniel Day-Lewis. I, on the other hand, was into Nathalie Portman thanks to HEAT (and Léon). I was a healthy you boy at the age of 12. :)
    Oh, so that's why you guys love Heat so much... ;)
    Natalie was - and continues to be - very pretty, of course.

And DDL was indeed very pretty in Mohicans, I kinda understand your cousin, Dimi. (Still didn't work for me, but hey...)
    @Tuulia and @DarthDimi thanks for the response.
    I was very questionable to The Last of the Mohicans before, i've heard some nice things about it, especially the soundtrack. But as you i really don't care for those kind of movies.

And blackhat i've almost only heard bad things about. The IMDb rating and Metascore isn't especially good either...
    It's a hacker film in which hackers can do everything and we don't know how. But besides that, it's a good looking film and I like the acting. I think Blackhat was targeted for some unjustified reason.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited August 2015 Posts: 9,020
    Directed by Guy Hamilton
    Starring:
    Rock Hudson
    Geraldine Chaplin
    Liz Taylor
    Tony Curtis
    Kim Novak
    Angela Lansbury
    Edward Fox

The Mirror Crack'd

This may be the movie with the most stellar cast ever. Of course it's "only" an Agatha Christie movie, so it has quite the made for TV feel to it.
    Nevertheless I really like those Agatha Christie movies and I re-watch them every now and then. This time in HD which was a special treat.

Fun fact for James Bond fans:
    Charles Gray has a supporting role in this as the butler.
    A very young Pierce Brosnan appears in one scene with Liz Taylor!
    I finished Rush Hour 3, the last movie of the trilogy I hadn't seen. Well, the first 2 outings are classics in my eyes, and this one is certainly not to their level of epicness. However, it is still a total blast to spend 90 minutes with Jackie and Tucker being hilarious and badass in Paris! Some really unexpected cameos (Polanski and Yvan Attal), a lot of cliches about France and french people (but who cares), and still many entertaining fight scenes and chase scenes. If I'd give 10/10 to the first and 9/10 on the 2nd, I'd give this one a good 7/10 for the pleasure the film gave me.

I then followed that with a really cool 1990's action film with Bruce Willis: The Last Boy Scout. I was told by several people to watch this film, and boy I was not disappointed. Fun story, badass Bruce Willis, hilarious one liners and epic action sequences. Another highly entertaining old school action flick I had a lot of fun watching for the first time!
    Agora

The endless cruelty, intolerance and stupidity of man is depressing. This movie is set some 1600 years in the past, but frankly, people haven't changed that much. A good movie, but not fun to watch. At all. And the same stuff - more or less - keeps happening every day. Makes me sick.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Directed by Guy Hamilton
    Starring:
    Rock Hudson
    Geraldine Chaplin
    Liz Taylor
    Tony Curtis
    Kim Novak
    Angela Lansbury
    Edward Fox

The Mirror Crack'd

This may be the movie with the most stellar cast ever. Of course it's "only" an Agatha Christie movie, so it has quite the made for TV feel to it.
    Nevertheless I really like those Agatha Christie movies and I re-watch them every now and then. This time in HD which was a special treat.

Fun fact for James Bond fans:
    Charles Gray has a supporting role in this as the butler.
    A very young Pierce Brosnan appears in one scene with Liz Taylor!

Remember seeing this in the cinema - fell asleep at one point! Not the best AC adaptation.
    I've just done a double feature of classics I had never seen until now: Chinatown and Midnight Cowboy.

Chinatown was absolutely brilliant, cracker of a story, Jack Nicholson on top of his game, a very lovely Faye Dunaway, and master directing from Polanski. I knew the film had to be good after all the things I read about it other the years, and it was just that, and much more! 10/10 from me.

Midnight Cowboy is a lot more serious, amazing acting from Hoffman and Jon Voight, and very well written story. A though watch, as both main characters have to deal with a lot of problems, but the film is stunning. An unusual but interesting look at New York. I didn't know John Barry worked on this film, and he delivered another stellar soundtrack of his.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Haunted House 2, just awful. :-<
    Devil (2010)

devil-10.jpg

Simple and short horror story but hits all the right notes. Tends to get spooky really fast and is beautifully shot by Tak Fujimoto. M. Night Shyamalan wrote the story, but don't let that keep you away from this.
    Triple dose of classics for me today:

'Little Big Man', a very original and unexpected take on the western genre. Great story, great acting (especially from Dustin Hoffman and the the old indian chief). All in all a lot of very cool scenes, and the film gives a sense of humanity to the whole western style. A heartwarming film, even if the subject is a serious one.

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. What an awesome film! Great story and a very colourful and unique cast of characters, led by a totally mindblowing and hypnotic Jack Nicholson. I loved the film from start to finish. One of the best I've ever seen. Very powerful film, it's like I took a big uppercut in the face.

The French Connection. Another film that goes very high in my list of amazing films. A powerful story filmed with a gritty style, Schneider and Hackman give powerhouse performances. The car chase scene is among the best I've ever seen. I can't believe the film is over 40 years old, it's more modern and exciting than most crime films from today.
    @DaltonCraig007, excellent choices, all of them.
    The French Connection is brilliant.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    @DaltonCraig007, excellent choices, all of them.
    The French Connection is brilliant.
    And all from Hollywood's second Golden Age, the '70's, before the popcorn blockbuster took hold, films that put plot and character above effects and style-over-substance.
    UNFORGIVEN was streaming and looked just amazing. I am always struck by how the story unfolds very deliberately, never boring but at a kind of ambling pace, feeling very much like 'watching' a novel (it is like act 2 runs for an hour!)

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I finished Rush Hour 3, the last movie of the trilogy I hadn't seen. Well, the first 2 outings are classics in my eyes, and this one is certainly not to their level of epicness. However, it is still a total blast to spend 90 minutes with Jackie and Tucker being hilarious and badass in Paris!
    All three rock in their silly ways!
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 1,310
    The Guest (2014)

I checked it out because I've been hearing Dan Stevens as a potential future 007 on these boards.

Stevens was fine, I guess, but man was this movie a mess. It starts out as a barely passable thriller but entirely flies off the rails in the final act and ends up a laughable B-grade slasher. The 90% Rotten Tomatoes score leaves me without words. The acting from the supporting cast is mostly terrible, the inciting incidents lack any real punch and the disturbing violence ends up being cheap and exploitative as there's no good reason for any of it to happen. After looking into more of the film, some people are saying it is supposed to be a half-parody. I guess I'm just not seeing that?

I wasn't expecting Rear Window, but I am very disappointed with this one. 4/10
    SJK91 wrote: »
    The Guest (2014)

I checked it out because I've been hearing Dan Stevens as a potential future 007 on these boards.

Stevens was fine, I guess, but man was this movie a mess. It starts out as a barely passable thriller but entirely flies off the rails in the final act and ends up a laughable B-grade slasher. The 90% Rotten Tomatoes score leaves me without words. The acting from the supporting cast is mostly terrible, the inciting incidents lack any real punch and the disturbing violence ends up being cheap and exploitative as there's no good reason for any of it to happen. After looking into more of the film, some people are saying it is supposed to be a half-parody. I guess I'm just not seeing that?

I wasn't expecting Rear Window, but I am very disappointed with this one. 4/10

I watched it some days ago and I completely agree with you. I wonder what "half-parody" is... failed parody or an attempt to explain why a movie is crap? ;) I never look at RT scores or anything similar, and this movie's score is a good example why I won't bother in the future, either. I was surprised to learn afterwards that a lot of people actually thought this was any good. Geez. I can often see why people like movies I don't, or don't like movies I do, but... well, there are limits. :))
    @Tuulia and @DarthDimi thanks for the response.
    I was very questionable to The Last of the Mohicans before, i've heard some nice things about it, especially the soundtrack. But as you i really don't care for those kind of movies.

And blackhat i've almost only heard bad things about. The IMDb rating and Metascore isn't especially good either...

Many people also think The Last Of The Mohicans is a masterpiece.

[Just noticed I just went on babbling and sorta veered off topic somewhat, so the rest is that...]

People's tastes and reasons for liking any movie vary so much that relying on other people's views may stop you from seeing something you might love, or make watch something you think you'd like and you really won't.

Reading/hearing other people's views can be interesting and I often get good tips of stuff I may not even have heard about, or get interesting new perspectives and ideas about movies I've already seen - different opinions when well expressed can be very interesting even if I disagree. Besides, people can have opposing views about details or the whole movies and I find that fascinating in itself.

If I'm interested in seeing something I'll watch it anyway, and if I'm not interested, then no amount of praise or popularity will change that. I like knowing very little about a movie before watching it when possible. If, for instance, it's by a director whose other work I've liked, or has an actor I like (in in tiny role), that may be reason enough to watch, and then I won't bother with any descriptions (such as back covers of dvds/blu-rays) or reviews beforehand, and it can be wonderful to discover a movie like that, not having any idea what it's about or anything. No trailers, reviews, plot synopsis. Then one doesn't have preconceived ideas and expectations, it's pure exploration. I saw for instance The Machinist and Locke like that, and was floored by both and very grateful I didn't have a clue about them before seeing them.

Typically, I rarely look at reviews or ratings beforehand nowadays, but may look at them afterwards sometimes to see what others thought. :) (Similarly with actor/director interviews - I don't usually look them before seeing a movie, but afterwards if interested.)