Who should write B25 (aka who should replace Purvis and Wade)?

edited April 2017 in General Discussion Posts: 11,425
Couldn't find a thread on this, so apologies if I'm duplicating.

I just thought that as I'm always criticising Purvis and Wade, I thought I should try and suggest some replacements.

The screenwriters need to be able to come up with original stories and write good dialogue.

Peter Morgan was mooted for B23 before Mendes came on board. I think EON should go explore this avenue further.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2009/jun/15/james-bond-peter-morgan

Comments

CHRISTOPHER MCQUARRE

why because he is brilliant see Rogue Nation and Usual Suspects
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 11,425
    Did he write Rogue Nation? I new he was director.

The fact is that the Bond scripts have been middling to poor for a very long time. Haggis and Logan have added some finesse to the dialogue, but there's something missing. EON should be aiming so much higher. As I've said before I don't understand why they don't have a safe full of plots and scripts ready to be dusted down and go into production at any given time. Obviously the director needs to have a say, and tweaking and polishing is always required, but why always this seeming last minute uncertainty around the scripts? With three or four year gaps, there's no excuse for it.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I vote Morgan ..but that SF/SP script doctor Baz or whatever his name is would be my choice as well.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    I vote Morgan ..but that SF/SP script doctor Baz or whatever his name is would be my choice as well.

Jez. And I agree.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The way things keep going, Purvis and Wade will end up replacing Purvis and Wade.
    Christopher Nolan. Nobody is better suited to write the screenplay of the next one.
    Christopher Nolan. Nobody is better suited to write the screenplay of the next one.

I'd prefer him to Purvis and Wade again.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Christopher Wood.
  • My vote is for Christopher McQuarrie also. We knew he could write a great twisty thriller (The Usual Suspects) and that he could write a smart, inventive action film (The Edge of Tomorrow) but he just proved with M:I Rogue Nation that he can combine the two into a terrific spy movie.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

His brother Jonathan might be the better, and more likely, choice.

• Getafix wrote: »
    The fact is that the Bond scripts have been middling to poor for a very long time.

No, your opinion is that the scripts have been middling to poor. You're certainly welcome to hold that opinion, but no one is entitled to state that their opinion (political or artistic) is a FACT. You're not the first person to make this mistake and somehow I expect you won't be the last, but still: opinion. Not fact.
    Getafix wrote: »
    As I've said before I don't understand why they don't have a safe full of plots and scripts ready to be dusted down and go into production at any given time.

Your lack of understanding regarding the process of making a movie is fairly obvious. Look at it this way: professional script writers don't work for free. In order for Eon to have this mythical safe full of plots and scripts you envision, they'd have to spend hundreds of thousands of $$$ on material they may or may not ever use. This is an unnecessary expense that isn't going to be incurred by Eon or any other professional filmmaker.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Anyone. DAD has not been forgotten and you have not been forgiven P&W.
    Sark wrote: »
    And let's not forget that Lee Tamahori put his dirty fingers in that pie making it much worse so blame cannot be solely put on them.

• SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    true, but they had written stinkers before that.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    And yet they're the ones who apparantly have saved the SP script.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Purvis and Wade is only one of many incomprehensible decisions of BB and MGW.

They had a good run but with QOS and especially Skyfall it got more than evident that they don't have it in them anymore to write Bond properly. Skyfall is such a mess script wise and only thanks to the best cinematography ever and some over the top sequences that gets somewhat hidden.

BB and MGW don't have the guts to make bold decisions anymore. They play it safe.
    I'm more than certain they will hold on to Mendes as well and they will pay whatever necessary to keep him.

After Spectre the franchise needs a new start desperately.
    That includes new writers. And they have preferably to be born after 1968.

Jonathan Nolan would be perfect but the disadvantage with him is, he would need his brother to direct the movie, at least the first one. He is not independent enough yet to be on his own.

Matthew Vaughn would be perfect for a new style of Bond that is needed desperately after Craig has gone.

Guy Ritchie, now that would be fantastic, imagine what Ritchie could do with Bond.

Luc Besson (born 1959, my exception to the rule).
    If anyone has proven to be able to do spy/action/thrillers then it's him.

I think one of the most important things is to get someone who is not strictly a writer.
    The best movies are mostly made by director/writers like the ones I mentioned above.

• RC7RC7
    I'd like to see Dennis Kelly do a Bond, but potentially for the next incarnation rather than a Craig film.

What's worth noting is the production process surrounding a film, particularly a tent-pole like Bond. The screenplay doesn't get written and then made verbatim. There are so many external factors at play that a very decent screenplay could end up being pulled apart to the point that it fails to work any longer, or at best doesn't quite sing as it once did. I would imagine SP is such an amalgam of thoughts and ideas that pinpointing who is responsible for what will be reasonably tricky and even when it's clear cut the likelihood it has transferred from script to screen as the writer intended is still slim. The whole process is collaborative, which is a blessing and a curse.

Let's not be too quick to dish out criticism on writers, if a director wants to push and pull their work in a different direction there's little they can do. My thoughts are that P&W have likely done just as much good work as anyone else during their tenure.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 11,425
    The fact is that the Bond scripts have been middling to poor for a very long time.

No, your opinion is that the scripts have been middling to poor. You're certainly welcome to hold that opinion, but no one is entitled to state that their opinion (political or artistic) is a FACT. You're not the first person to make this mistake and somehow I expect you won't be the last, but still: opinion. Not fact.
    As I've said before I don't understand why they don't have a safe full of plots and scripts ready to be dusted down and go into production at any given time.

Your lack of understanding regarding the process of making a movie is fairly obvious. Look at it this way: professional script writers don't work for free. In order for Eon to have this mythical safe full of plots and scripts you envision, they'd have to spend hundreds of thousands of $$$ on material they may or may not ever use. This is an unnecessary expense that isn't going to be incurred by Eon or any other professional filmmaker.

Yes it's my opinion. Well spotted.

RC7 wrote: »
    I'd like to see Dennis Kelly do a Bond, but potentially for the next incarnation rather than a Craig film.

What's worth noting is the production process surrounding a film, particularly a tent-pole like Bond. The screenplay doesn't get written and then made verbatim. There are so many external factors at play that a very decent screenplay could end up being pulled apart to the point that it fails to work any longer, or at best doesn't quite sing as it once did. I would imagine SP is such an amalgam of thoughts and ideas that pinpointing who is responsible for what will be reasonably tricky and even when it's clear cut the likelihood it has transferred from script to screen as the writer intended is still slim. The whole process is collaborative, which is a blessing and a curse.

Let's not be too quick to dish out criticism on writers, if a director wants to push and pull their work in a different direction there's little they can do. My thoughts are that P&W have likely done just as much good work as anyone else during their tenure.

I guess it boils down to whether or not you like the general direction of the stories and scripts, which P+W have clearly played a significant role in. Regardless of whether you like they're plots/stories, I think their dialogue is not especially good.

I think P+W are good, know Fleming and get Bond but they need a smashing writer good with dialogue to give it that special magical edge.
    I was looking to see who wrote the first Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes and it turns out this guy is now writing the new Bourne movie as well.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Peckham
    edited August 2015 Posts: 4,116
    I would be worried that P&W finished the SP script but they didn't ..it was that Jez guy that I can never remember his name..

I can't imagine being named Jez...
    Jez Butterworth is his name. :P
    I would be worried that P&W finished the SP script but they didn't ..it was that Jez guy that I can never remember his name..

It's short for Jeremy.

Jezza
  • RC7RC7

It depends what Butterworth did. He'll have had a pass at it, but there will have been a specific job given to him. He wasn't on it long enough for a rewrite irrc, which suggests a polish. My guess is that the meat and potatoes are a combination of Logan and P+W, with Butterworth adding a little gravy.
    And who doesn't like gravy? :P
  • RC7RC7
    And who doesn't like gravy? :P

I love it, but it needs the Roast to function properly, otherwise you're just drinking Bisto. As it's otherwise known QoS.
    Lol ...that just sounds nauseating.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 12,837
    Gareth Evans. Let him direct to. I think it should be a smaller Bond film, so perhaps the first one when Craig leaves. Following up DC's big, epic finale (whether that's SP or Bond 25) with a raw, stripped back, bare bones crime thriller esque Bond film that introduces the new actor, written and directed by the guy who bought us The Raid films would be amazing imo.

Seriously Bond should snap Evans up before some other big franchise like Marvel or DC or MI or something gets him (he was already a candidate for the Assassin's Creed adaption, I think it's only a matter of time).
    Sark wrote: »

Have you seen the leaked stuff? Purvis and Wade basically saved SPECTRE. Logan did a terrible job but their draft, the current shooting script, is really good imo (I don't think the other guy did a full draft, just touched up P+W's script).

Seriously judging from their track record (TWINE, CR, SF, SP, I don't think it's fair to count QoS due to the writers strike) I think we can safely lay the blame for DAD on Tamahori. I've forgiven Purvis and Wade.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @thelivingroyale, if he wrote, you know we'd get some brutal and unique fight scenes, and if he directed, then you really know we'd get some.