The James Bond Wardrobe/Style Thread

Comments

• doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator

It's pretentious to me to express how it fits based on images or two seconds of movie.

It makes no difference if they are stills, two second cuts, or ten minute scenes. It's easy to tell when something doesn't look right. As I stated previously, the overcoat fits poorly. That's evident from the stills I've seen and is a fact, not an opinion. The rest of my comments about the sunglasses, the shoes, tie pin, etc are my opinion. I just think they look overly ostentatious. I think Bond should dress in a far more understated fashion, but that is my preference. But suggesting I'm pretentious because I'm able to come to these conclusions from a still, rather than from seeing the whole film, is insulting.
    Regarding the reasons you are assuming wrong, the reason isn't the homage.

Fine, I stand corrected. You obviously know far more about it than I do.
    I don't see it wrong, it's not so different to me to wear a jubilee or a nato.
    And it is practicaly the same compared to the GF one, even more elegant

NATOs are not "elegant" straps. They're practical. And it isn't remotely the same strap as the one in GF, which isn't even a NATO strap, it's a military pass-through strap in 18mm.

I'll admit that the rules have changed regarding formal watches, and a tool watch is now seen as acceptable to wear formally, but a NATO strap will always, to my mind at least, look utterly wrong with formal or evening wear.

• Villiers53 wrote: »
    doghouse wrote: »
    Hopefully the negative reaction from the menswear community last time will result in suits that fit this time.
    I really hope that Everest reprises his role as Fiennes tailor, had some beautiful pieces in Skyfall.

@doghouse is correct. Those awful Tom Ford suits should be abandoned and 007 sent to 'The Row' for a fitting.
    IVNSHO (in Villieurs53's not so humble opinion) Craig, when suited, succeeded in looking like Pee-Wee Herman in SF. His pants look fit to split at any moment and those ill cut jackets would have been more appropriate adorning an estate agent.
    Fiennes on the other hand looked splendid and going forward I'm quite sure that the new 'M' will want 007 to be correctly dressed and will dispatch him to Saville Row without further ado.
    The question is to which tailor? They all have quite different house styles but considering Craig's stocky, muscular physique, Villieurs53 wouldn't hesitate to recommend the fabulous Anderson & Sheppard.
    Over the years, A&S have catered to the rich and famous but more importantly to gentleman of great distinction and style. Fred Astaire was a stalwart and Bryan Ferry is a regular.
    Their single breasted would be perfect for Craig, the way the jacket drapes gives a good height impression, is slimming whilst giving him great freedom of movement. In terms of detail they should be classic, two button, twin vented with two exterior straight flapped pockets.
    His trousers should be either flat fronted or single pleated, have 15" bottoms, no cuffs and side fasteners (no belt loops) and his suit cloths should be 15mil or lighter.
    Shirts could be from either Turnbull & Asser or Emma Willis and should feature a medium spread collar and single cuffs (double cuffs and links get in the way during fights) his shoes should be bespoke by John Lobb with re-enforced steel toe caps.
    His ties should only be knitted silk from Charvet.
    With regard to his overcoat, Villieurs53 thinks Bond should favour a dark pea coat in cashmere for versatility and as a nod to 007's naval background.
    In terms of his casual wardrobe, Belstaff and Barbour should continue to be a good source of field jackets with Sunspel providing the best polo shirts. Trousers should be either chinos from Dunhill or cords from A&S depending on the climate. Jeans should be kept to a minimum but were appropriate Duhill will suffice.
    Sweaters should come uniquely from A&S haberdashery. They have a great choice and Audie Charles will see him right.
    Accessories should be kept to an absolute minimum. Bond is a spy not a dandy and he should ditch that crass, ostentatious Omega watch in favour of a plain stainless steel Rolex Oyster Perpetual. Sunglasses are only acceptable when driving, skiing or in hot climates and should be from Persol.
    Villieurs53 thinks this covers everything — any questions?

I do think this says it all.
    This is how Bond should dress. Refined elegance, not like some trussed up dandy with ostentaseous watches and tie pins. Whatever would Fleming have thought?
    Maybe Villieurs53 is a little outspoken but he certainly knows his stuff !
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @TriggerMortis, unfortunately, Villiers53 chose to be outspoken in the wrong departments and then walk out.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Pppffftt RUBBISH! Those pictures have all been doctored!

;)
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Pppffftt RUBBISH! Those pictures have all been doctored!

;)

:D
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited July 2015 Posts: 4,554
    FWIW: According to Omega's website, the Nato strap is back as a fashion statement.
    As I stated previously, the overcoat fits poorly. That's evident from the stills I've seen and is a fact, not an opinion
    No, still opinion. I think the long overcoat looks good on Craig and, to me, fits well - I thought so when I saw it him wearing it in the photo by the DB10 and when I saw him wearing it at the funeral.

That's my opinion.
    Nope, it is badly cut. Ask a tailor.

You think the costume designers and wardrobe dept would actually put him in clothing that didn't fit?

• TripAces wrote: »

You think the costume designers and wardrobe dept would actually put him in clothing that didn't fit?

I'm afraid they would.
    They have been very misguided with Bond's formal wardrobe throughout and I think it's for three reasons.
    Firstly, they have elected to follow this 'Mad Men' fashion for badly cut fashion suits or, as the great @villieurs53 describes them; " the honey I shrunk the kids Pee-wee Herman look". This is a huge mistake as Bond should be all about understated classicism and, in my opinion, the Craig Bond wardrobe is already dating very badly.
    Secondly, although I think Danny is a good actor, I don't think he is a style icon and I think his dodgy personal taste has adversely affected wardrobe choices.
    When I see photos of him on the street there is no way he has the innate sense of personal style of say a Steve McQueen or a Carry Grant. He often dresses way too young for his age and makes some bad choices.
    Last, but by no means least, Bond is a quintessentially British hero and it makes sense to go to 'The Row' to dress him. This is the bastion of English style and they know how to do it.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Firstly, they have elected to follow this 'Mad Men' fashion for badly cut fashion suits or, as the great @villieurs53 describes them; " the honey I shrunk the kids Pee-wee Herman look".

Not sure why you see Villiers53 as being great. We saw him as a loose canon. Double standards and all that.
    Thankfully he's taken a leave of absence.

When it comes to style and wardrobe nobody matched Connery. Not even close.
    When it comes to who I listen too regarding such matters, well Dublo is my go to man in the know.

Benny wrote: »
    When it comes to who I listen too regarding such matters, well Dublo is my go to man in the know.

Too kind, Benster. Too kind.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    Benny wrote: »
    Firstly, they have elected to follow this 'Mad Men' fashion for badly cut fashion suits or, as the great @villieurs53 describes them; " the honey I shrunk the kids Pee-wee Herman look".

Not sure why you see Villiers53 as being great. We saw him as a loose canon. Double standards and all that.
    Thankfully he's taken a leave of absence.

When it comes to style and wardrobe nobody matched Connery. Not even close.
    Trigger looks to me to be Villiers
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    edited July 2015 Posts: 1,138
    Let's make a betting pool and have the mods run an IP check. ;)
  • Benny wrote: »

Thankfully he's taken a leave of absence

Not sure who "we" is but I like his frank, informed style. I also find him quite humorous.
    Hopefully he'll be back soon!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @TriggerMortis, I'm not sure you understand how things work around here...
    Not sure who "we" is but I like his frank, informed style. I also find him quite humorous.
    Hopefully he'll be back soon!

The "we" @Benny is referring to are the MI6 Community moderators. It's best not to antagonise them deliberately.
    TripAces wrote: »

I'm afraid they would.
    They have been very misguided with Bond's formal wardrobe throughout and I think it's for three reasons.
    Firstly, they have elected to follow this 'Mad Men' fashion for badly cut fashion suits or, as the great @villieurs53 describes them; " the honey I shrunk the kids Pee-wee Herman look". This is a huge mistake as Bond should be all about understated classicism and, in my opinion, the Craig Bond wardrobe is already dating very badly.
    Secondly, although I think Danny is a good actor, I don't think he is a style icon and I think his dodgy personal taste has adversely affected wardrobe choices.
    When I see photos of him on the street there is no way he has the innate sense of personal style of say a Steve McQueen or a Carry Grant. He often dresses way too young for his age and makes some bad choices.
    Last, but by no means least, Bond is a quintessentially British hero and it makes sense to go to 'The Row' to dress him. This is the bastion of English style and they know how to do it.

But that's just it. It's a matter of personal taste. Tighter fitting suits and slimmer styles are, in fact, the style, especially in Europe. From that standpoint, Bond's (DC's) clothing choices are perfectly fine.

As a fashion icon, DC is hit and miss. But he gets it right more often than wrong:

06.1_OlgaKurylenko_DanielCraig.jpg

skyfall-craig-suit-800x800.jpg

daniel-craig-casual-look.jpg
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I personally found Villiers53 to be very informed, and despite his somewhat frank style, informative and entertaining. He rubbed some people the wrong way sadly, but his points on this thread about timeless style were spot on imho. Someone had to say it, and he did, but perhaps it should have been tempered a little for the audience here. Just my thoughts.

On DC's personal style, I'm not really a fan of it, but to each their own. It's his life and he's welcome to dress any way he wants during his private time.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Villiers53 rubbed some people the wrong way sadly...Someone had to say it, and he did, but perhaps it should have been tempered a little for the audience here.

As long as people don't break the forum's community guidelines, everyone is free to express their opinion. Having said that, this is a community, and communities work best when everyone is pulling together.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Where Villiers went overboard bondjames is when he started insulting other members.

Personally I'm tired of the debate over bonds suit fit. I think it will be recognized as a mistake in a few years, but it seems EON is set on the tight look. What will be.
    edited July 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Sark wrote: »
    Where Villiers went overboard bondjames is when he started insulting other members.

Personally I'm tired of the debate over bonds suit fit. I think it will be recognized as a mistake in a few years, but it seems EON is set on the tight look. What will be.

Fair points. He was provoked, but shouldn't have taken the bait. The issue came to a head during discussion of Craig'sclose-fitting look, which I also have serious problems with. I agree with you......in time this will likely be looked back on as a mistake, just like Moore's somewhat 70's bell bottoms could have been avoided then too.

From my point of view, to date, the SP clothing looks to be much better than SF, which is reassuring, except for the tie-pin.
  • TripAces wrote: »

I'm afraid they would.

But that's just it. It's a matter of personal taste. Tighter fitting suits and slimmer styles are, in fact, the style, especially in Europe. From that standpoint, Bond's (DC's) clothing choices are perfectly fine.

As a fashion icon, DC is hit and miss. But he gets it right more often than wrong:

This is interesting because the three photos illustrate my point perfectly:

photo one: the trousers are way too long and the colour palette is contrived.

Photo two: the suit is way too tight and again the colour palette is wrong.

Photo three: Sorry but he looks like 'Bob the builder'

I rest my case.

@TriggerMortis: You see Bob Builder...I see bad ass. LOL
    I agree on the 2nd photo being awful in more ways than one, but again, it's his personal style and he's entitled to it. When playing Bond, it is a different matter entirely, imho.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    There's nothing wrong with pictures 1 and 3.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    edited July 2015 Posts: 630
    in picture 1 his trousers are really too long.
    The fit of picture 2 is perfect to me, it is how I'd wear, but color is pretty awful, don't know if it is the photo.
    In picture 3 he is just a fine badass
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 5,745

I'm afraid they would.

This is interesting because the three photos illustrate my point perfectly:

photo one: the trousers are way too long and the colour palette is contrived.

Photo two: the suit is way too tight and again the colour palette is wrong.

Photo three: Sorry but he looks like 'Bob the builder'

I rest my case.

Now a brown leather jacket to match the shoes in picture 3 would be quite a good look with a proper brown bag, but alas you have to wear Grandma's knitting if you still want Christmas gifts.
    slyfox wrote: »
    The Persol sunglasses DC wears in his first meeting with Mathis in CR were by far the best in my view.

Mine, too! I'm biased as I own a pair, tho'! ;-)