Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited July 2015 Posts: 5,131

1. Max Zorin is a good villan, yes. Film is average and too 'light'.

2. Jaws is a bad character in BOTH MR (of course) AND TSWLM as he too cartooish, yes.

3. DAD is the worst Bond movie of all time.

4. LTK is a great Bond film. Everything works here: the bare bones plot, the villainy, Dalton, incredible action sequences.

5. The ski stunt in TSWLM is NOT overrated. It's about national pride with the flag (beating our old enemy....The Russians).

6. Another Bond film in my top seven would be TND..... ha ha , good joke.

7. While I don't consider NSNA an actual Bond film I find Rowan Atkinson hilarious....again very funny.

Well, there you have it. I have just trampled all over this. :)

Now for my controvercial view...... Judy Dench was not a good M. The Benard Lee 'mould' should have never been broken.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited July 2015 Posts: 8,079
    RC7 wrote: »
    Charles Gray Blofeld has more power and influence than Sanchez, does that make him a better character?

Gray doesn t own a President, but at least he never burns.

Yeah, I'd love to control a city and be accused of lacking power and influence.

I didn't say he lacked it. I said that Gray has more. Largo doesn't lack power and influence either, if you want to put it that way.
  • RC7RC7
    Charles Gray Blofeld has more power and influence than Sanchez, does that make him a better character?

I didn't say he lacked it. I said that Gray has more. Largo doesn't lack power and influence either, if you want to put it that way.

I don't think anyone said he did, just comparatively. He doesn't have the Gravitas of a Goldfinger.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    They all have power and influence for a while, then they bite the dust. Not like real life at all.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    By their very nature none of the Bond villains ever lacked power or influence in some way. As Kingsley Amis wrote in a review of John Gardner's For Special Services (1982) the Bond villains are "Persons of some size and power" long before Bond comes along.

I don't think anyone said he did, just comparatively. He doesn't have the Gravitas of a Goldfinger.

I always thought Largo a far more realistic character (besides the eyepatch, of course!).

I always thought Largo a far more realistic character (besides the eyepatch, of course!).

Indeed he was. The eye-patch was an addition by the filmmakers to add the evil touch. Steven Jay Rubin said something along the lines that Largo was one of Fleming's more humane characters.
    Lots of people have eyepatches.
  • RC7RC7

I'm not massively fussed by realism. If they're engaging and entertaining and operate in a way that isn't too illogical and absurd, I'm in. Largo is great, I just find him inferior to Goldfinger on almost every level. Bond villains have to have an otherworldly touch to them IMO.

I'm not massively fussed by realism. If they're engaging and entertaining and operate in a way that isn't too illogical and absurd, I'm in. Largo is great, I just find him inferior to Goldfinger on almost every level. Bond villains have to have an otherworldly touch to them IMO.

I'm not trying to say that Largo is a better character because his is more realistic, but if you are someone who prefers the realism then Largo might feasibly pip Goldfinger to the post for that reason. Horses for courses.
  • RC7RC7

I'm not trying to say that Largo is a better character because his is more realistic, but if you are someone who prefers the realism then Largo might feasibly pip Goldfinger to the post for that reason. Horses for courses.

And you'd probably love Dominic Greene.
    Sark wrote: »
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I suppose Largo is probably a bit more "hands-on". He's part of the gang that goes down to the ocean floor to steal the bombs, he joins his men when transporting the bombs and he has a proper fight with Bond in the climax.

Yes. And there's a difference between telling your bodyguard to do something and doing it yourself. Largo was able to do both. Goldfinger was not.

Largo was able and willing to get his hands dirty. And he was pure cold blood. Goldfinger throws a tantrum because he's caught cheating, Largo does like a real made guy when he loses, he shuts up about it, loses gracefully, but he has Bond in sight for now on. He intend to take his revenge dispassionately.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Agreed!

340?cb=20110202181701
    Lots of people have eyepatches.

Indeed they do and through no fault of their own, either.
    But they are surely evil.
    But they are surely evil.

I've seen pictures of men with eye patches in the local press but as you say it was to make Largo look more evil - just like Le Chiffre's eye-bleed in a way.
    I like the Robert Brownjohn titles for FRWL and GF as much and if not more than most of Maurice Binder's work.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I suppose Largo is probably a bit more "hands-on". He's part of the gang that goes down to the ocean floor to steal the bombs, he joins his men when transporting the bombs and he has a proper fight with Bond in the climax.

Yes. And there's a difference between telling your bodyguard to do something and doing it yourself. Largo was able to do both. Goldfinger was not.

Largo was able and willing to get his hands dirty. And he was pure cold blood. Goldfinger throws a tantrum because he's caught cheating, Largo does like a real made guy when he loses, he shuts up about it, loses gracefully, but he has Bond in sight for now on. He intend to take his revenge dispassionately.

Exactly. Largo is one of the best Villans of the entre series. Very underated.
    suavejmf wrote: »

Exactly. Largo is one of the best Villans of the entre series. Very underated.

And what he starts doing to Domino... Largo is one of the best amiable villains of the series.
    I think Richard Kiel is dumb. Just my opinion.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

...any reason why, exactly? And you mean Kiel, not his character Jaws?
    Moonraker is the worst bond film.
    Quantum of Solace is in my top 10 bond films
    Daniel Craig is the only actor who could pull off a bond film titled The Hildebrand Rarity
    Skyfall is just ok
    Spectre looks like it might be in my top 10 as well
    Denise Richard is smoking hot and her beauty makes up for her lack of acting
    The same can not be said for Halle Berry as Jinx who's bad acting ruins her character
    Here is one: the quiet moments are important in Bond movies. A good Bond movie will have them. A great Bond movie will master them.

Not controversial but just hateful.

I met the man and he was a gracious men and he left my daughters in total awe of his gentleness and kindness.

You Sir/madam based upon this remark are a total hateful idiot.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Denise Richards' nipples were the high points of the world is not enough
    My controversial opinion:

I don't see the point in reusing old Fleming titles only because they were Fleming's. Take suitable plot elements, character names, yes, not titles for no other reason than they were made up by the old master.
  • RC7RC7
    jobo wrote: »

I don't see the point in reusing old Fleming titles only because they were Fleming's. Take suitable plot elements, character names, yes, not titles for no other reason than they were made up by the old master.

Agree with you.

Here's my controversial opinion: I think both The Hildebrand Rarity and The Property of a Lady could make great titles, if used appropriately.

Here's my controversial opinion: I think both The Hildebrand Rarity and The Property of a Lady could make great titles, if used appropriately.

And it would be even better if one of them was used for Bond 25.

thought the forum seems to be split between really 2 ideas for Bond 25's title

ShatterHand

and

Blofeld

I like both well enough but Feel we have had 2 one word titles in a row maybe have a multiple word title again.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Moonraker is the worst bond film.
    Quantum of Solace is in my top 10 bond films
    Daniel Craig is the only actor who could pull off a bond film titled The Hildebrand Rarity
    Skyfall is just ok
    Spectre looks like it might be in my top 10 as well
    Denise Richard is smoking hot and her beauty makes up for her lack of acting
    The same can not be said for Halle Berry as Jinx who's bad acting ruins her character
    Wow, 100% agreement here!