Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

100 minutes of James Bond going apeshit is all I ever wanted to see. QoS is probably in my top 10, near the end likely, but probably still in my top 10. I recently watched CR and QoS back to back and I must say it does improve the viewing experience much more (although I already loved it). As far as the criticisms of the theme goes, the actual song itself is pretty good. There's an instrumental version you can find on YouTube which I'd actually call great. What didn't work was the clash of Alicia Keys and Jack White's voices (particularly in the bridge). Had it been one of their voices, it'd have probably worked a lot better. The instrumental version kicks a high proportion of ass I must say.

Oh, and while I'm here encouraging everyone on this forum to hate me (playfully of course), I can't put OHMSS in my top 10 purely because of Lazenby. Worst of the Bonds in my opinion, can't hack his wooden performance (see what I did there). My one credit to him is that he looked good in a fight, maybe even proto-Craig. Had the film been done with a not-bored-and-happy-with-his-contract Connery it would have really been something great. I reckon even Moore could've done a great job with it.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    DAD and CR'67.... What a double feature!

I think CR67 is an underrated piece of entertainment. Of course it's not a Bond film; it's a parody and compared to Austin Powers not even such a good one. But despite its flaws I love it. It has an epic score, a batch of the most beautiful women ever brought together in a 60s film, a cast that makes almost every other Bond film blush and a let's-make-fun-of-the-poison-pen-joke moment 16 years before OP would deliver said joke with a straight face. Plus, it intrigues me how Feldman was able to mess things up like this. Anyone thinking that a project with 6 directors, with a different segment of the film for each, could ever result in something consistent and coherent, is either a poor - POOR - filmmaker, or on drugs. Given the final result of the film, I wouldn't necessarily dismiss serious drug abuse as a possibility. ;-) Well then, a film that cost so much and reached such lows and was still formally and officially released, is a shining jewel in and by itself. Sometimes, when you sink from bad into worse and then lower still, there's an odd case of 'good' behind the corner. The so bad it's good thing? Exactly, that's where I'm at when watching CR67. I eat it up like candy; too much will give me stomach aches but a little of it, once in a while, can be so sweet...

Tobester95 wrote: »
    100 minutes of James Bond going apeshit is all I ever wanted to see. QoS is probably in my top 10, near the end likely, but probably still in my top 10. I recently watched CR and QoS back to back and I must say it does improve the viewing experience much more (although I already loved it). As far as the criticisms of the theme goes, the actual song itself is pretty good. There's an instrumental version you can find on YouTube which I'd actually call great. What didn't work was the clash of Alicia Keys and Jack White's voices (particularly in the bridge). Had it been one of their voices, it'd have probably worked a lot better. The instrumental version kicks a high proportion of ass I must say.

Oh, and while I'm here encouraging everyone on this forum to hate me (playfully of course), I can't put OHMSS in my top 10 purely because of Lazenby. Worst of the Bonds in my opinion, can't hack his wooden performance (see what I did there). My one credit to him is that he looked good in a fight, maybe even proto-Craig. Had the film been done with a not-bored-and-happy-with-his-contract Connery it would have really been something great. I reckon even Moore could've done a great job with it.

I actually created a thread speculating about it.

Crispin Glover should play a henchman. He's genuinely creepy and it could be an homage to his father's Mr. Wint
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Crispin Glover should play a henchman. He's genuinely creepy and it could be an homage to his father's Mr. Wint

I suggested the same thing not too long ago. If they ever rebooted Wint and Kidd, They should be played by Crispin Glover and Woody Harrelson.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Crispin Glover would make a perfect henchman. Or even main villain...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Crispin Glover would make a perfect henchman. Or even main villain...

Indeed. Following in his father's footsteps. Crispin is terribly underrated. Would love to see him get a big role again.
    Crispin Glover is amazing. He single-handedly killed rock music in Friday The 13th Part IV. Watch this scene (say from 30 seconds onwards)! Watch it! It's epic.

Guess it wasn't as controversial as I thought!

Hmm. I think some of my soundtrack opinions are a bit unpopular:

GoldenEye and For Your Eyes Only are superb soundtracks and better than some of Barry's lesser stuff (TMWTGG comes to mind).

Moonraker is arguably the best score in the entire franchise.
    GoldenEye and For Your Eyes Only are superb soundtracks and better than some of Barry's lesser stuff (TMWTGG comes to mind).

I would agree with this. I've always liked Eric Serra's score for GoldenEye and still prefer it to any score that we've gotten since that film as well.

I'm also a fan of Michael Kamen's score for Licence to Kill, especially his gunbarrel music and the track titled "Pam".
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited August 2014 Posts: 5,979
    TMWTGG's and MR's end title songs were better than the main title ones. More energy.

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited August 2014 Posts: 13,936
    echo wrote: »
    TMWTGG's and MR's end title songs were better than the main title ones. More energy.
    I agree. I also like the addition of the lyrics 'No need to fear, James Bond is here'.
    Heres one

I think Diamonds are Forever is better than Goldfinger.
    Seems like everybody likes everything better than Goldfinger these days.
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Heres one

Try to talk yourself out of this, mate. ;-)

DarthDimi wrote: »
    Heres one

Try to talk yourself out of this, mate. ;-)

Doesn't look like I have to lol
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Heres one

I love 'em both.

I like GF better, even better than the last three 007 outings of which QoS & SF are very low on my list of appreciation of the 007 movies. I guess Mendes & EON better step up their game for the next Craig movie as he deserves something that can live up to the promise of CR.
    I find Goldfinger to be pretty boring as a whole, save for a few good classic parts (which arguably save it)
    But it's definitely one I don't revisit often
    SaintMark wrote: »

I like GF better, even better than the last three 007 outings of which QoS & SF are very low on my list of appreciation of the 007 movies. I guess Mendes & EON better step up their game for the next Craig movie as he deserves something that can live up to the promise of CR.

I was obviously exaggerating somewhat. I'm just saying no longer is it remotely a shock to see anyone saying "Bond Film X > Golfinger" like it would have been.. say.. 10 years ago even. Less.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I find Goldfinger to be pretty boring as a whole, save for a few good classic parts (which arguably save it)
    But it's definitely one I don't revisit often

I agree. I had difficulties watching it till the end the last time I saw it recently.

My point is affirmed.
    Gotta love Connery's 'tact' with Pussy Galore. 'If she can't lift my dead weight off of her, that's the same thing as saying YES', lol
    Since we are talking about GF, I find TB superior in many ways.
    Ludovico wrote: »

I find DN, FRWL and TB are superior to GF.

Murdock wrote: »

Yes me too. In fact GF is the first drop of quality in the franchise, albeit not a very perceptible one.

Yes me too. In fact GF is the first drop of quality in the franchise, albeit not a very perceptible one.

I don't hate Goldfinger like some indirectly accuse me of but when I see people say it's the best Bond ever, whether it be word of mouth or voted in some poll, I find it to be phony because it was popular in 1964. It's a decent film but it has it's flaws that drag it down for me. For one, right from the very Beginning, Goldfinger could have had Bond killed in Miami. If Oddjob killed Bond in his hotel room, Goldfinger would have won. But Goldfinger kept letting Bond live as if it was some sort of game. It was Goldfinger's own stupidity that caused his own death and the failure of his operation. If Auric was a smart criminal he would have offed Bond right then and there. Then comes the issue with Bond being captured for a portion of the movie. It's boring. nobody want's to see Bond captured and hardly do anything for 45 minutes. Goldfinger has a good first half but after Bond is captured, the film drops it from there. Not saying it's bad, but it's not worthy of "Best Bond Ever!"
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

I concur.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I couldn't agree more. They're all far superior to GF.