Music in SPECTRE

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    That's a very good track. He's a talented guy. Keep in mind the Homeland beginning/end credits are much more mellow & jazzy as it's more of a low key spy thriller. I found some of his 24 action scoring to be really Bond-like, especially seasons 4 & 5.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    No problem. I'm a guy who enjoys some mellow Jazz. ;)
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    this doesn't pertain to Thomas Newman or Spectre at all, but a composer i've been keeping an eye on recently has been Henry Jackman... he made an impression on me with his awesome score to Captain America: The Winter Soldier - and looking back on his filmography, he's done the scores for Kick Ass, X-men First Class, Captain Phillips, Big Hero 6, Kingsman: The Secret Service, as well as the new Uncharted game coming out and next year's Captain America: Civil War.... i really like his sound.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Agree on Jackman. The attack scene by the Winter Soldier on Nick Fury features an incredible action score. I was thinking this guy should do Bond when I watched it for the first time in the theatre.

Same goes for Kingsman. Again, the scene when Jackson's character (Valentine) is introduced is chilling and incredibly refined.

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited June 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Two new compossers from recently films that broke the mould for me an just below me away Robin Coudert on the film Maniac

And Rich Vreeland on it follows. Although not a great film, his soundtrack is just like nothing I had heard before.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Murdock wrote: »
    I'd love it the Rome car chase had a theme akin to this. It's got Bond theme and little to no electronica.

Yes please!

• aaron819aaron819 Switzerland
    Sam Mendes in a interview on the radio said that there is 100+ minutes of music in SPECTRE. That's 25 minutes approximately more than Skyfall.
    Let's hope Newman nails this score and we get to here more of the theme! :)
  • aaron819 wrote: »
    Sam Mendes in a interview on the radio said that there is 100+ minutes of music in SPECTRE. That's 25 minutes approximately more than Skyfall.

is the 75 minutes based on the soundtrack album or the music in the film ?Usually the soundtrack album contains less cues than the actual film. If so does anyone know how many minutes of music was actually in the film SF.

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    aaron819 wrote: »

is the 75 minutes based on the soundtrack album or the music in the film ?Usually the soundtrack album contains less cues than the actual film. If so does anyone know how many minutes of music was actually in the film SF.

The CD Soundtrack is 75 mins long. If you were to include the total music from Skyfall you'd probably be around 100-110 mins.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I've never understood why full scores never get released.
    I suppose you don't know Pascal Gaigne, but I really like him. He mostly scores films in Spanish, French and Basque.

I also love Alberto Iglesias, he has been nominated, I believe, three times for the Oscar. However, what I believe is his best score didn't get any recognition outside Spain, where he won a Goya, like the Cesars in France. He is in fact the composer that has won the most Goyas.

Or, don't think I'm mad, Murray Gold. Yes the Doctor Who guy. I believe he's a good composer, his I am the Doctor theme was amazing, and the rest of the score is quite good.

I love these three composers, and I wouldn't mind having one of these scoring the next movie.

Of course, I love Thomas Newman too, and if he wants to continue, I have nothing to oppose. I wouldn't mind Giacchino or Desplat either. I just don't want Arnold back. He's done everything he could, and he's been blinded by the effort to be like Barry, and he'll never be like him.
  • robcoperobcope St. Petersburg, FL
    RC7 wrote: »
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    I think the New (?) OHMSS Version from David Arnold would be perfect for some snow-action scenes

If Newman can come up with anything even close to the cues in OHMSS we'll be in dreamland.

I had not heard this before. Great stuff! Thanks for posting.
    Newman already working on the score at this stage is very good news. It gives him more than enough time to compose a good score. Was he in mexico when they were filming? If so that reminds me of when Monty Norman was with the film crew in Jamaica when Dr. No was being filmed.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Murdock wrote: »
    Newman already working on the score at this stage is very good news. It gives him more than enough time to compose a good score. Was he in mexico when they were filming? If so that reminds me of when Monty Norman was with the film crew in Jamaica when Dr. No was being filmed.

I dont know if he was ever in Mexico but he did write background music for the Day of the Dead festival itself. Hopefully that should blend well with the score.

I vaguely remember John Barry saying the only set he ever visited was when they were filming in Vegas for Diamonds are Forever. Say what you want about the film, but it does have a cracking JB soundtrack.
    Agreed. DAF is one of Barry's best.
    OHMSS is Barry's best without a doubt. It's not only Barry's best, it's the series' best soundtrack.
    Definitely.My favorite Barry score is AVTAK.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    OHMSS is not only the best score of the series and one of Barry's finest scores it's also for me the best action adventure score of all time.

Yes Indiana Jones has got a great theme and some good cues but Barry's versatility with OHMSS is astounding. We get some of the most exciting cues of all time, a heartbreaking love theme in a vocal and various other arrangements, a superb classy jazz cue and of course one of the greatest themes of any film. Also the experimental style that Barry had already utillised with another one of his finest scores The Lion In The Winter just elevates this above the films in the series in the music department.

Barry never really got this close again but yes DAF is a great score but compared to Majesty's as whole package not even close.

• RC7RC7
    edited July 2015 Posts: 10,512

Barry at his peak.
    This never happened to the other fella is undoubtedly one of Barry's finest cues, a great reinvention of the Bond theme, leading to an atmospheric build up, then that use of strings and brass to punctuate the action.

Simply sublime.
    @Shardlake. This is why OHMSS is #1 Bond film for me. The soundtrack. Whenever I see a new 007 movie I go in thinking THIS is the one they have to top and I love them all. There have been some great Bond scores from other composers but the truth of it is nobody has come close to John Barry.
    jerome007 wrote: »
    @Shardlake. This is why OHMSS is #1 Bond film for me. The soundtrack. Whenever I see a new 007 movie I go in thinking THIS is the one they have to top and I love them all. There have been some great Bond scores from other composers but the truth of it is nobody has come close to John Barry.

It's my no. 1 as well and I think Barry's score will most likely make it always no.1 for me.
    I have no illusions that Bond will ever get a score as good as that again.
    So, will there be any of Newman's score in the trailer?
    @Shardlake. Agreed.
    The trailer has the OHMSS theme.
    You're right -- I was stunned. Sounds wonderful. But surely that's just for the trailer and not the direction of the actual film's soundtrack?
    writer5150 wrote: »
    You're right -- I was stunned. Sounds wonderful. But surely that's just for the trailer and not the direction of the actual film's soundtrack?

Recorded specially for the trailer by Newman, I hear.
  • Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to hear the OHMSS theme used as the theme of the film (not the title song, but through the score).
  • RC7RC7
    Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to hear the OHMSS theme used as the theme of the film (not the title song, but through the score).

I would be surprised.
    Walecs wrote: »
    I've never understood why full scores never get released.
    Part of it has to do with the musicians or someone being paid for every cue or by time or something like that, which makes a shorter CD release cheaper. Don´t know though how that could fit as an excuse in the case of a Bond film. The CD presentation for SF was abominal, with so many tracks being cut short on CD, it´s disgusting.
    antovolk wrote: »
    writer5150 wrote: »

Recorded specially for the trailer by Newman, I hear.
    That incorporation of the OHMSS theme was as horrible as the whole Trailer Music. Blaring and meaningless. I hope the film will have better Music.