Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

It's 100% Sam Smith, I have some friends who are high up in the music business and have links to Smith. He is doing the theme for Spectre. I guess his comments are just misdirection.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Honestly, I think you all will be surprised with the final result if Smith does it.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Surprised in what way? Positive or negative?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Surprised in what way? Positive or negative?

Positive.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited July 2015 Posts: 17,850
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited July 2015 Posts: 4,043
    Seriously the fact she sang the tune for 50 Shades of Gray would be a reason to not to give her the gig.

I know some are saying we'll be pleasantly surprised by it being Smith and I'm open to being proved wrong but Adele didn't blow me away so I'm lowering my expectations to the gutter.

I suppose if you think the current state of the music business is fine and we are producing music to be proud of you would think this vanilla sound is more than acceptable but when I hear people saying Smith is very soulful I think I'll listen to Aretha or Otis and not some white boy approximation that gets the house wives wet.
    jeepers - it's actually a duet with Goulding & Smith!!

So are we set for a good taste bypass with something limp and pathetic?
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Yea ...only part I dread with SP is the music ...well not drwad but don't gave high expectations.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    The cousin of the neighbour of my brother's girlfriend knows someone who almost met Sam Smith's aunt and she confirmed that it's Smith.
    You might think it's bull**** now, but in october you'll see I was right.
    Trust me, I just know.
    My great great grandfather predicted back in 1890 that in 2015 Sam Smith would be the singer for "SPECTRE". And trust me, he also predicted I would be gay. And I am gay.
    Walecs wrote: »
    The cousin of the neighbour of my brother's girlfriend knows someone who almost met Sam Smith's aunt and she confirmed that it's Smith.
    Trust me, I just know.

Are you saying Pierce2Daniel is lying?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    My great great grandfather predicted back in 1890 that in 2015 Sam Smith would be the singer for "SPECTRE". And trust me, he also predicted I would be gay. And I am gay.

Sam Smith is confirmed, ladies and gentlemen. From here on out, any and all title song artist speculation is banned.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 4,400
    Walecs wrote: »
    Trust me, I just know.

Are you saying Pierce2Daniel is lying?

Haha, I'm sure my message seems tenuous and far from substantiated but I assure you, it's only what has been told to me. The person I know used to perform with Smith and Tom Odell in London when they were starting out. They used to all be ran by the same management company.

I'm not lying, sadly. I don't want Smith to perform the title song, he is probably the blandest artists around at the moment. However, it seems that Smith was set a long time ago and any other rumours to the contrary were just that, rumours.

I have no agenda and no reason to lie.

@Pierce2Daniel You misunderstood my message. I absolutely believe you. What I don't get is why some people here don't believe other members who have been here for a long time.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I don't see what the big surprise is. Smith for SP is as obvious as Adele was for SF.

Terribly unadventurous choice, but it is what it is, and we'll have to bite our lip, accept it and wait for B25 to give us something decent...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    In all seriousness, I haven't followed the title song artist rumors at all. Last I saw, there were pictures of Goulding in studio with 'Live and Let Die' as a caption, hinting at her doing the song. Why is everyone so sure that Smith will be the artist?
  • At least it's not Madonna.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    This is getting ridiculous! Why the heck doesn't Eon just announce it now? I wish you didn't have to wait 5 years for the film's name, another 10 for the trailer and 28 for the song and artist. OK, it's not that long, but it feels like it sometimes.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    It's possible that EON is releasing an album of Bond covers, which will include Goulding doing "Live and Let Die." Other acts who've been rumored, such as Arctic Monkeys, might also be recording for this album. Hmm? Maybe.
  • RC7RC7
    Smith is recording the theme. Get over it.
    TripAces wrote: »
    It's possible that EON is releasing an album of Bond covers, which will include Goulding doing "Live and Let Die." Other acts who've been rumored, such as Arctic Monkeys, might also be recording for this album. Hmm? Maybe.

I can see where you're going here with this idea but surely wouldn't that idea have made more sense with a 50years of Bond film release which of course has seen that ship sail many moons back. Of course I imagine EON doesn't make a lot of sense usually!

RC7 wrote: »

Why the hostility?
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    I like to view the title song outside of our own perspective. Everyone here is so focused on the climate and impression the song will give the film. Those are very important aspects of what makes the series so great (or not depending upon the track), but most people don't pay too close attention to this. Pretty much the whole world knows Madonna did a Bond theme tune, but most of the world can't name the artist of You Know My Name.

When it comes to who I'd like to see do the title song, apart from some of my absolute favorites, I'd always prefer to see it go to someone with global superstardom. It gets casual fans and non-fans talking about the movie. The series cannot go wrong in maintaining its stature by selecting someone everyone can recognize. As much as any of us might not see the style of a tune fitting in with the Bond universe, it will always have its popularity as a redeemable quality. That's not something that can be said for your typical diamond in the rough or up and coming talent.

I'm not really sure why they keep it such a secret, though. Besides the hundreds of Bond fan club and internet communities that talk about it every day, no one else is thinking to themselves, "Hmmm, I really wonder who is going to do the Bond theme tune for SPECTRE!" If they announced the name of the artist ahead of time it would get media coverage and give lay-fans a chance to get on the hype train.
    I know that Sam Smith isn't a very adventurous choice, but hey that has always been the case. Tom Jones and Nancy Sinatra were big selling popstar in the 1960's. Similar to Adele and Sam Smith now.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    andmcit wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »

I can see where you're going here with this idea but surely wouldn't that idea have made more sense with a 50years of Bond film release which of course has seen that ship sail many moons back. Of course I imagine EON doesn't make a lot of sense usually!

Yes, that would have made sense, but they released the 50 Years/50 Bond songs album for that occasion.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Is Sam Smith really a big star? Never even heard of him before I read about him here.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    At least it's not Madonna.

But mindset wont save us from names like Bublé, Goulding and Smith. %-(
  • I like Ellie Goulding so if it is her i'll be pleased , Sam Smith and Bubble aren't my cup of tea but i'd give them a chance. but as I've already said as long as it isn't Madonna, Justin Bieber or One Direction i really don't mind who does it.
  • RC7RC7

Why the hostility?

No hostility. I said it with a smile.

Why the hostility?

No hostility. I said it with a smile.

Oh, OK. I guess I just read it wrong. :D