Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Even if Sam knew who it was, he definitely wouldn't just tell the press.

Good point

I don't think Smith's denial is worth a nickle. I still hope that it is AM, but I'm afraid I don't trust EON or Sony forcing one of their crappy Sony contracted acts for the title song. I'm not an Adele fan, but I fear we could do a lot worse. The music, title track and the score, are one of my big concerns for SP.
    The Ellie Goulding rumour is as old as the Sam Smith rumour. She was named by the tabloids last year. So Smith might heard about that in the press, too. And now he's just saying, that he heard, that Ellie Goulding would do the song. But he has no more knowledge than everyone else.
    So I don't see a "new" rumour here about Ellie Goulding, just Smith refreshing the old rumour about her.
    Am just hoping he was being truthful about his not getting it and not being contacted. One thing for sure, whoever it is has to have known for sometime now that they are "it" re all the prep work involved.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I'd rather have Sam Smith over AM, Alex Turner sounds like a Muppet.
    I think its all quite amusing!
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited July 2015 Posts: 2,629
    I'm sick of typical Bond songs. I want a main title song that sounds nothing like any Bond song before!

You mean like Die Another Day and Another Way to Die.

That Spy MTS video could actually pass as a Bond theme. A shame we can't travel back in time seven years and make this the QOS theme.
  • I like Ellie Goulding so if it is her i'll be pleased , wouldn't mind Sam Smith either but i'm secretly hoping Chris Cornell comes back as you know my name is a masterpiece.
    But to be honest as long as it's not Madonna , Justin Bieber or One Direction i don't mind who does it.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    YESSSS!! There's still hope guys!

EXCLUSIVE! Sam Smith Denies Bond Song Rumours: "I Heard Ellie Goulding Was Doing It"
    The singer rules himself out of the race to record the next 007 theme tune in a radio interview with Capital's Dave Berry and Lisa Snowdon.
    capitalfm.com/artists/sam-smith/news/ellie-goulding-james-bond-theme-tune-song/#fXPt1IVb7CBSqrgg.97
    Curious... Link not working... removed...

If he was telling the truth, why should... ?
    Does anyone remember when credible leaks about Adele started to occur for SF. I don't see how they can keep it a secret much longer. Someone will spill something soon. Smiths comment doesn't count. EON might have warned him that he'd lose the gig if he leaked news that he was it.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited July 2015 Posts: 3,157
    Kerim wrote: »
    I'm sick of typical Bond songs. I want a main title song that sounds nothing like any Bond song before!

You mean like Die Another Day and Another Way to Die.

That Spy MTS video could actually pass as a Bond theme. A shame we can't travel back in time seven years and make this the QOS theme.

I'd rather have No Good About Goodbye. I don't like the theme song from Spy, it sounds too obviously a Bond song to the point it sounds like a parody. Still better than AWTD, of course.
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    Sorry if this doesn't really contribute to the discussion about SPECTRE's title song, but on my recent play through of the Quantum of Solace soundtrack after listening to the rejected Shirley Bassey title song, David Arnold had cues in his soundtrack from that composition. Such a tragic decision not to use her superior track!

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited July 2015 Posts: 10,588
    I recently talked to Arnold on Twitter, and asked him if No Good About Goodbye was a rejected theme or just something he did on the side with Bassy. He said it was not a rejected theme and was recorded after AWTD, but used the string line from QoS.
  • TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    Goulding now? Oh god, all this rumoured artists are ghastly!
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2015 Posts: 4,476
    Moost dark video of Ellie Goulding vs Madonna Die Another Day

Geography she is made is what i like moost from Goulding her clip.
    Fit better mabey with darker music or some classic from Lindsey Stirling

Other example of Lindsey Stirling, can be consider to work with Sam Smith..

• EiragornEiragorn Hessia
    I'm a little sick about always hearing about No Good About Goodbye being a "rejected Bond theme". Here on this very page there was an article confirming that NGAB is nothing more than a retroactively written alternative to AWTD spun out of a musical cue Arnold wrote for the QoS soundtrack.

QoS had an Amy Winehouse theme attached and when that didn't came to pass they hastily recruited Jack White who therefore had full creative control over the track just so they have anything to play over the credits. Both White and Adele are btw both independent artist signed under the umbrella of the Beggar's Group.

Imho Sam Smith never made any sense. I have the notion that the one's who decide are mostly Babs and since QoS also Daniel. Both don't have the worst taste in music and don't seem to particularily care for commercial value with the artist they pick. They rather have the habit of choosing an artist who has already proven his merits and may even be a little past his prime. Smith is currently nothing more than a hugely successful one hit wonder and furthermore I could never imagine Daniel Craig listen to that whiny whimp. Smith is a solely commercial choice without any artistical merit at this point so I don't believe he's in the running.

When they keep up with the schedules of the last movies a next step for the actors - especially Daniel - is the shooting of some PTS scenes. And since the PTS should be therefore already be outlined at this point I'm sure at least a demo of the solicited song exists. A British Alternative Rock act would fill the mold easily so I'd give the AM rumor far more credit than the Smith one.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    The Smith rumor is over a year old... and probably true I'm afraid. Mendes said if I'm not mistaken that an artist had already been chosen..but then either Wilson or Broccoli said conveniencingly no ..who.ever they either didn't work out or the producers weren't sold or whatever ..smith may have fallen out of favor only to fall back into favor...

I'm just guessing of course but just have that sinking feeling he got it.
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    edited July 2015 Posts: 1,263
    Eiragorn wrote: »
    I'm a little sick about always hearing about No Good About Goodbye being a "rejected Bond theme". Here on this very page there was an article confirming that NGAB is nothing more than a retroactively written alternative to AWTD spun out of a musical cue Arnold wrote for the QoS soundtrack.
    Just because I was factually incorrect doesn't mean my opinion (that is shared by a large contingent in this community) is invalid. Having an integrated title song and soundtrack provides greater artistic mastery that elevates the title song above the likes of a simple promotional tool. If anything, it enhances the song as a promotional tool because hearing it conjures images of the pictures to which the music provides a backdrop.

I'm aware you were not suggesting it, rather that the premise of my post didn't depend on the accuracy of the statement to express my opinion.
    More Smith denials
  • Yesterday i saw a tweet about a possible comeback of Sir Tom Jones for SP but maybe it's just something thrown out there. That would be amazing though, he still got it.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Oh please no! Seriously Tom Jones?

I much prefer the TB instrumental, much better without his warbling over it.

Bassey, Jones, do we really need to dig up these old fossils?

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Warbling? Fossils? Really?
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Oh please no! Seriously Tom Jones?

I much prefer the TB instrumental, much better without his warbling over it.

Bassey, Jones, do we really need to dig up these old fossils?

...in lieu of Smith??? Yes any day.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited July 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Ellie Goulding it is then. A week after Sam Smith outed her she put on twitter she was super excited abut getting in to the studio to record "live & Let Die"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3155665/Ellie-Goulding-puts-leggy-display-suede-miniskirt-Chiltern-Firehouse.html

Disappointed I find her voice annoying, not the calibre of artist the film required.
    Yesterday i saw a tweet about a possible comeback of Sir Tom Jones for SP but maybe it's just something thrown out there. That would be amazing though, he still got it.

Yeah, his famous performance at the BAFTA's. Whereas Dame Shirley Bassey needs to push her vocals at her age, Sir Jones still sounds amazing. I think it would be a complete coup if he was chosen. And I do think it could have the potential to become a hit, similar to Adele's "Skyfall".

Leaves me with one question though: Where is Paul Epworth?? Let's not forget that he composed and arranged the "Skyfall" song as well. Also he won the Oscar. And now Adele doesn't come back, I really would love Paul Epworth to return for "SPECTRE".
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Ellie Goulding it is then. A week after Sam Smith outed her she put on twitter she was super excited abut getting in to the studio to record "live & Let Die"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3155665/Ellie-Goulding-puts-leggy-display-suede-miniskirt-Chiltern-Firehouse.html

Disappointed I find her voice annoying, not the calibre of artist the film required.
    Just two days after last Smith's denial...

54jnDCl.jpg
  • RC7RC7
    ggl007 wrote: »

Just two days after last Smith's denial...

54jnDCl.jpg

Meh, still not convinced.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 591
    If it is her. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised. Her voice could easily work in a Bond theme if done right. I would've loved Arctic Monkeys cause they could do something quite alternative and haunting which I think would suit Spectre, but I think she could pull of something quite haunting.

Or because her and Sam Smith are friends, they're pulling a little joke to draw the attention away from him for a bit.
  • RC7RC7
    Or because her and Sam Smith are friends, they're pulling a little joke to draw the attention away from him for a bit.

This is basically it for me. She's recording an album too, gets her a little free press in the build up to that and like you say, simultaneously draws attention away from Smith.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 161
    Could that tweet mean "Live and let (the rumours) die" ? Maybe she's sick of these rumours too! I know this seems crazy but.. :))