The "Problem Eliminator" Thread - Are Bond Films Getting Too Big?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    Jamie Dornan has just entered my list of future 007 candidates along with Hardy.

Dornan is ok, but he has to live down Fifty Shades of Grey. Aren't they making a sequel to that as well? If so, he's out. It may be embarrassing for Bond.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    doubleoego wrote: »
    It's not that big of a deal. Connery left, Lazenby came, Connery came back and then left again. Dalton took over from a pushing 60 year old Moor. Just roll with it.

I don't know. Something tells me they'll go for a more mature Bond.
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    jake24 wrote: »
    It's not that big of a deal. Connery left, Lazenby came, Connery came back and then left again. Dalton took over from a pushing 60 year old Moor. Just roll with it.

If this Craig thing is legit and a surprise (i.e. it happened during production) then this may explain the Lewis rumours. He's got a Craig'ish thing going on, at least compared to the other "candidates". So he could step in like Lazenby stepped in for Connery.
    Here's what I know : Nobody knows anything.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

If they cast an actor at 40 and with an average of 3 year gaps, he'd get about 3 films before he's 50 and people deeming him too old but time will tell. Right now I'm not interested in who Bond no.7 will be. I want Craig to complete 5 or 6 movies and then start racking my brain who'll be next but with tge way things are looking I'm convinced the next Bond is definitely an 80s baby, very likely someone born between 84 and 86.

LeChiffre wrote: »
    Jamie Dornan has just entered my list of future 007 candidates along with Hardy.
    Dornan's performance in 50 Shades is an embarrassing thing to watch (perhaps the direction was equally garbage.) I think he's toast.

While that might make sense from a timeline/story perspective, a more mature Bond isn't as marketable as a younger one. Still surprised they did it with Doctor Who.
    bondjames wrote: »

If this Craig thing is legit and a surprise (i.e. it happened during production) then this may explain the Lewis rumours. He's got a Craig'ish thing going on, at least compared to the other "candidates". So he could step in like Lazenby stepped in for Connery.

And he'll have the same reception. Laz was a poorman's Connery, and Lewis is a poorman's Craig.

smitty wrote: »

And he'll have the same reception. Laz was a poorman's Connery, and Lewis is a poorman's Craig.
    Fair point. Lewis can only be a stop-gap short term measure......it's not a strategic move, if they go this route. If they are being strategic, they will cast someone much younger.
    I'm starting to not totally discount all these rumors, particularly as some rumors are now coming from credible posters on this site. Maybe Craig is recently fed up about something, maybe he saw something in the Sony leaks that antagonized him. If SP is a two parter re Swann's and Blofeld's story lines, maybe EON feels they need a stop gap actor who is as Craig like as possible to continue the story as planned, and possibly already scripted. The problem I have with Lewis is that he is less Craig like, and more Craig lite.

We could go further into this trail. Maybe EON itself started floating these rumors to test the waters. If all this is bogus gossip, then EON really does need to step up, and stop it as I question how constructive all this stuff is. SP has had a ton of troubled production gossip. It's not good PR. It's not good buzz. It just invites more controversy and more negative gossip.
    There was a rumor in the early 200s that Robbie Williams was going to be the next Bond. Rumors are rumors are rumors. They are pretty much groundless.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Just watched The Guest and it's not great although something about it I enjoyed, the Carpenter like atmosphere, the obvious nods to Halloween and of course Terminator but Dan Stevens played a blinder, to think he was the same guy in Downton Abbey.

Maybe saying it's his Layer Cake is a stretch but I'd have no problem with him stepping into Craig's shoes a few years down the line but Tom Hughes is still another consideration.

As for Hardy and Fassy that boat sailed long ago and Cavill I can't believe anyone is even considering this since he's now got 2 iconic roles under his belt.
    Right now SP is having way, way too many destabilizing rumors and gossip in the press and way too little positive promotion about Bond. Where is the first full trailer for starters to give the press and fans something positive to speculate about instead of all this junk.
    Right now SP is having way, way too many destabilizing rumors and gossip in the press and way too little positive promotion about Bond. Where is the first full trailer for starters to give the press and fans something positive to speculate about instead of all this junk.

The buzz from production is very positive. Things are running smoothly, people seem to love working with each other, etc.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Just watched The Guest and it's not great although something about it I enjoyed, the Carpenter like atmosphere, the obvious nods to Halloween and of course Terminator but Dan Stevens played a blinder, to think he was the same guy in Downton Abbey.

Maybe saying it's his Layer Cake is a stretch but I'd have no problem with him stepping into Craig's shoes a few years down the line but Tom Hughes is still another consideration.

I would agree it absolutely is his own Layer Cake, he plays the smooth charmer and total psychopath and utterly smashes his Downton Abbey persona. Definitely a guy to keep an eye on, unless some superhero series grabs him first.

Oh, OK. Barbara loves Craig, and Craig loves Naomie, and Naomie loves Mendes and Mendes loves himself, oops I mean Ralph, and this is the buzz for how EON markets a $300 million dollar film. Groan.
    Oh, OK. Barbara loves Craig, and Craig loves Naomie, and Naomie loves Mendes and Mendes loves himself, oops I mean Ralph, and this is the buzz for how EON markets a $300 million dollar film. Groan.

They have been unusually quiet with this film haven't they? There wasn't even a proper press conference to kick it off, or did they do something afterwards that I missed? Seems very hush hush apart from all the Sony leaks. I wonder if that's because there is something going on behind the scenes that they are afraid could come out if there is a press conference.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited June 2015 Posts: 10,586

They have been unusually quiet with this film haven't they? There wasn't even a proper press conference to kick it off, or did they do something afterwards that I missed? Seems very hush hush apart from all the Sony leaks. I wonder if that's because there is something going on behind the scenes that they are afraid could come out if there is a press conference.
    It's because they felt ridiculous after Skyfall's press conference, after having revealed nothing. The launch event for Spectre revealed as much as the press conference did, if not more. Plus, they knew people would be asking questions about the script rewrite, and it's obvious they don't want people to know much of what happens behind the scenes. I'm thinking this is why we haven't had any scoop from Baz Bamigboye since the script leak. The producers told him to keep to himself.
    And that's exactly the problem. The Sony leaks which got huge press are nothing but negative. Studio suits all whining the script is a mess, the budget is out of control. Now tons of press about a Bond replacement. here we are in a killer year of way too much competition. Where is Bond? He has literally been hidden. Where is Lovely Lea. Hidden. Other big films opening after SP all have trailers out. They blew an incredibly vast marketing trailer audience opportunity for JP. What is going on with these guys. If the only press you are getting is that your script is a mess, you are way over budget, your star is now rewriting the script, and oh yes, he us being replaced, and you are doing Nothing to counter program it except having a blog of Mendes running his mouth about nothing, and having another tv teaser that is MP running her mouth about nothing with a a few quick cuts so fleeting they show next to nothing, you are not exactly looking brilliant.
    And that's exactly the problem. The Sony leaks which got huge press are nothing but negative. Studio suits all whining the script is a mess, the budget is out of control. Now tons of press about a Bond replacement. here we are in a killer year of way too much competition. Where is Bond? He has literally been hidden. Where is Lovely Lea. Hidden. Other big films opening after SP all have trailers out. They blew an incredibly vast marketing trailer audience opportunity for JP. What is going on with these guys. If the only press you are getting is that your script is a mess, you are way over budget, your star is now rewriting the script, and oh yes, he us being replaced, and you are doing Nothing to counter program it except having a blog of Mendes running his mouth about nothing, and having another tv teaser that is MP running her mouth about nothing with a a few quick cuts so fleeting they show next to nothing, you are not exactly looking brilliant.

Well said @smitty. Hopefully they've been holding back because they're going to blitz us closer to the release (which is what I think is going to happen, since they need to get the gross in fast before SW7 kicks everyone's rear a month later).

Well said @smitty. Hopefully they've been holding back because they're going to blitz us closer to the release (which is what I think is going to happen, since they need to get the gross in fast before SW7 kicks everyone's rear a month later).

You are so right. If they don't get their gross out hard and fast up front they will, as someone posted a while back, get cut off at the knees by THG and SWs and the big spy films opening just before them if they have legs will also bleed them out the rest of the way. It's almost as if Sony has stripped their promotion budget which on a 300m budget is $150m. I'm trying to think of what the heck they are doing. They have left a void that is creating all this garbage in the press.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited June 2015 Posts: 4,416

If they cast an actor at 40 and with an average of 3 year gaps, he'd get about 3 films before he's 50 and people deeming him too old but time will tell. Right now I'm not interested in who Bond no.7 will be. I want Craig to complete 5 or 6 movies and then start racking my brain who'll be next but with tge way things are looking I'm convinced the next Bond is definitely an 80s baby, very likely someone born between 84 and 86.

It should be possible to take somebody from 1978-1979.

In October lasyt when i made a thread about Brosnan whas fired 10 years a go i already predict this year discussion wil start and it mean the next Bond movie (Bond 25) wil be his last one. Because simalar discussions already started in 2001, the year before DAD when we expect Brosnan wil make another 2-3! movies. DAD in 2002, Bond 21 in 2004/2005 and Bond 22 in 2007. Also there be discussions about Owen as Bond starting with Bond 22 in 2007. In late 2003 discussion about Brosnan leafing start but as said it take til October 2004 when it finaly confirmd by Brosnan. This same year/2004 Dana Broccoli past a way.

Press conference in November was the kickoff. So mabey Michael G Wilson is ill who was not there or Rachel Weisz is pregnent and there don't want to tell us this yet.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited June 2015 Posts: 4,399

You are so right. If they don't get their gross out hard and fast up front they will, as someone posted a while back, get cut off at the knees by THG and SWs and the big spy films opening just before them if they have legs will also bleed them out the rest of the way. It's almost as if Sony has stripped their promotion budget which on a 300m budget is $150m. I'm trying to think of what the heck they are doing. They have left a void that is creating all this garbage in the press.

umm.... is this not the same promotional schedule they had with Skyfall, and almost every other Bond movie?

in terms of blowing a marketing opportunity with attaching the trailer to Jurassic World - need i remind you, the trailer was attached to Furious 7 - which went on to gross $1.3 billion, so it already got a lot of publicity..

... as a matter of fact, i do not remember a TV spot for Skyfall until about October - and we already got one for Spectre during the NBA finals (which seemed to spike a lot of interest again as well - which based off the ratings the NBA finals got, a lot of eyes saw the spot as well again).... but the marketing for Spectre has been pretty much business as usual as far as i can tell... Skyfall might have gotten more leading into the release, but that was because of the 50th anniversary - we all knew they would promote the hell out of the 50th anniversary - but so far, this is A typical marketing when it comes to previews and trailers - you get the teaser trailer around May, another trailer will probably come out in August/September, and then a flood of TV spots in September/October.

Script issues - we have known this since October?... but they seemed to have fixed them once they started filming.
    Overbudget - known thanks to Sony leaks, but if the movie is successful, this will be a moot point.
    Star is rewriting the script - as far as we know, it was Craig and Mendes both having differences from what Logan wrote, which is why they hired another writer to fix his work... this is no different than what happened on SF - and it was even worse on QOS, when they didn't have a finished script when they started filming. They were making things up as they went... but Craig has always had heavy input with the scripts since QOS, so why is this even a point?
    Craig is being replaced - Once again, speculation and rumors AT BEST.. nothing is confirmed beyond what a few people who claim to have sources who are best friends with the sisters of someone's cousin who is friends with a guy who worked on set for a day has said.... until something more concrete comes out, spreading this particular tripe should stop.
    Mendes' blogs - he did the same with SF
    TV spots - the TV teasers are meant to do just that, TEASE... i love people that want the film's plot completely laid out from point A to point B in a trailer - much less a teaser trailer..

where did all the level headed people go on this board??.... when did the chicken littles rise to power and start running the show??
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Post of the day @haserot.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    HASEROT wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    Let's clear something up: DC is NOT contracted to do Bond 25. He has an open contract with EON and can walk away after SP if he so chooses.

@TripAces

I am curious where you got this bit of info and how you're so certain it is accurate.... because it was made public that after QOS, Daniel Craig had signed on for 3 additional films - that being Bond 23(Skyfall), Bond 24(Spectre), and Bond 25... now whether he has "out clauses" in his contract is anyone's guess - i'm sure something of the sort is in there... but his current contract does indeed run through Bond 25.

Craig's original contract was the standard 3 film deal (the same Pierce got) which would have came with the same per film agreements from then on out (just like Pierce did with DAD after TWINE)... once Craig signed his new contract, the old one became toilet paper essentially.

btw, i am AGAINST the rumor - because all the rumor is based off of is fan/media speculation and conjecture.... Craig returns for Bond 25 - from then on out it's up in the air, but i'd even be willing to bet he comes back for a 6th, then hangs it up.. EON has their most successful Bond in franchise history, and there isn't another CR situation up on the horizon where they would want to reboot and start over (as everyone seems to think will happen when Craig quits).. EON will try and keep Craig around for as long as they possibly can.

@haserot: 007 producers

This report surfaced across multiple outlets. Bottom line is, DC will do Bond as long as he wants.

I'll skip most of your SP cheerleading stuff @haserot, but stating that we expect a trailer that lays out the entire plot is kind of silly. You are also misstating my listing of all the leaks and rumors in the press as my listing of facts. I can tell the difference.

To repeat, there is a void of good publicity on SP that rumors and gossip are filling. It is also dangerous to liken SP's roll out environment to SF's. They are in different worlds re competition, budget costs, public script problems, even Bond actor status, not to mention the unknown impact of the destructive and widely reported upon Sony leaks that are still coming, with no doubt more to come. There is also a huge studio distribution factor with who knows what implications on Sony's SP distribution budget. The Queen's Bond stunt at the summer Olympics in front of a 2 billion audience - also missing for SP. SF by comparison was a cakewalk. SP, to my regret, will not have an easy road to 1 billion. Our big hope is that it will be great, but even that cannot guarantee a big BO number.
    But how can they pick, for example, an actor in their early-mid 30s to play the part if the next one takes place in the same time frame and universe as Casino, Quantum, Skyfall, and Spectre? It won't make sense to have a Bond looking noticeably younger than Craig in a movie taking place not long after his era.

The answer is simple: the next one won't take place in the same time frame and universe as Casino Royale, Quantum, Skyfall, and Spectre. That doesn't mean they will show the beginnings of Bond yet again. But this is just a guess.
  • re: Mendes and Logan's writing.

I think Logan was giving Mendes exactly what he wanted. When it got turned in (and turned in late, according to the Sony leaks), people changed their minds.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited June 2015 Posts: 4,399
    I'll skip most of your SP cheerleading stuff @haserot, but stating that we expect a trailer that lays out the entire plot is kind of silly. You are also misstating my listing of all the leaks and rumors in the press as my listing of facts. I can tell the difference.

To repeat, there is a void of good publicity on SP that rumors and gossip are filling. It is also dangerous to liken SP's roll out environment to SF's. They are in different worlds re competition, budget costs, public script problems, even Bond actor status, not to mention the unknown impact of the destructive and widely reported upon Sony leaks that are still coming, with no doubt more to come. There is also a huge studio distribution factor with who knows what implications on Sony's SP distribution budget. The Queen's Bond stunt at the summer Olympics in front of a 2 billion audience - also missing for SP. SF by comparison was a cakewalk. SP, to my regret, will not have an easy road to 1 billion. Our big hope is that it will be great, but even that cannot guarantee a big BO number.

It's not so much cheerleading, as it is using common sense and thinking about things from a rational point of view, and not from one of being 2 minutes to midnight on the doomsday clock.....

well what exactly do you want them to do in terms of publicity - more over, what do you expect?.. you're saying they haven't done a damn thing (or close to it) except twiddle their thumbs and whistle while Rome burns down around them... while I say and state the opposite, they are doing what they've always done... SF got extra publicity because of the 50th anniversary - that Olympic stunt you brought up, was simply to cross promote Bond with the London Olympics.. what purpose would wasting even more money staging a similar stunt prove??.... The Sony leaks are what they are, and Bond isn't the only film getting effected by it - but you know what, all it did was reveal that the great and powerful Oz was indeed a bumbling fool behind a curtain... Notes, script reviews, rewrites, bickering between studio - producer - director happens almost all the time in Hollywood, the only difference now, is that the wedding veil was pulled back to reveal the ugly pig that really goes on behind the scenes... you may counter that and say "yeah well, nothing has been as bad as what was leaked." - and i'll beg to differ, because name me 1 film that went smoothly from start to finish where Budget and/or Script were never an issue.. ITS ALWAYS AN ISSUE....

distribution will figure itself out... again, much to do about nothing... Sony is still on the hook for Spectre - beyond that it's anyone else's guess.. but you're telling me that studios wont be lining up to want to distribute the next film(s)? Then you're out of your skull mad.. the Bond franchise is the most lucrative film franchise on the face of the planet, and since CR it's pulled in well over 2 billion at the box office... note: as early as last week there was speculation (reported on this very site) that MGM could very well strike a deal with Warner Bros. on a new distribution deal for the following film(s) - but thats all speculation, so we'll see what happens.. but they'll have 2 years to figure that out..

nothing at the box office is a guarantee, and as previously mentioned on these boards - we know it's going to have stiff competition at the end of November (Mocking Jay part 2) and in December (The Force Awakens).. but Bond has a 3 week window in which in can do plenty of damage + here stateside, there is the holiday week of Thanksgiving, where Bond usually always thrives, so it has going for it as well... will it be hard and almost less of a sure thing than SF to a billion, yes - but that doesn't mean it's impossible or a failure if it doesn't.
    HASEROT wrote: »
    Let's clear something up: DC is NOT contracted to do Bond 25. He has an open contract with EON and can walk away after SP if he so chooses.

@TripAces

I am curious where you got this bit of info and how you're so certain it is accurate.... because it was made public that after QOS, Daniel Craig had signed on for 3 additional films - that being Bond 23(Skyfall), Bond 24(Spectre), and Bond 25... now whether he has "out clauses" in his contract is anyone's guess - i'm sure something of the sort is in there... but his current contract does indeed run through Bond 25.

Craig's original contract was the standard 3 film deal (the same Pierce got) which would have came with the same per film agreements from then on out (just like Pierce did with DAD after TWINE)... once Craig signed his new contract, the old one became toilet paper essentially.

btw, i am AGAINST the rumor - because all the rumor is based off of is fan/media speculation and conjecture.... Craig returns for Bond 25 - from then on out it's up in the air, but i'd even be willing to bet he comes back for a 6th, then hangs it up.. EON has their most successful Bond in franchise history, and there isn't another CR situation up on the horizon where they would want to reboot and start over (as everyone seems to think will happen when Craig quits).. EON will try and keep Craig around for as long as they possibly can.

@haserot: 007 producers

This report surfaced across multiple outlets. Bottom line is, DC will do Bond as long as he wants.

straight from the article...

"" Broccoli also noted that the actor's contract is "open-ended." (Craig is currently slated to play 007 through Bond 25.)

thats the mic drop..... lets move past this..
  • ColonelSun wrote: »
    Just to add, I have also heard from one or two associates that this might be Craig's last film.

And I don't understand JW's thread here, based from a post in the LEAKS thread, and for which if you want to discuss a bit the context you have to use informations taken from the leaks... The initial post is not as incoherent as it seems when you look at the full picture with the leaks (but that doesn't mean it proves it is true).