SPECTRE Leaks Discussion (allowed on ONLY this thread) MAJOR PLOTLINE SPOILERS!

Comments

antovolk wrote: »

Yes - basically (I know you don't need spoiler tags but anyway)
    the ending is Bond seemingly leaving MI6 (retiring or just for a while - thankfully that's unclear and that's how they can get Bond to come back for the next one) with Madeleine. Earlier drafts (the October one to be precise) had Bond killing Blofeld, while the December version and the finished film should have Bond arresting Blofeld and handing him over to M's men. One part lots of people have an issue on is Bond throwing his gun away symbolically in the Thames after, remarking that "he doesn't need it anymore".

The very early conversations between Sony execs and MGM (late 2013/early 2014 when it was just Logan writing this and before Purvis and Wade came on board to completely rework the story) definitely had "one last mission" mentioned as the hook of the film. Here it's more vague and that's why I like it to be honest, like I said above

Thanks for that. Doesn't really explain why it would be impossible for Craig, specifically, to return. But I do know that there were at least two uncredited writers working on the screenplay right into production, so I'd be surprised if any available draft is completely accurate.

(Oh - one stupid anecdote from one of those writers (not the source of my information) - there was a description of two "giant balls" smashing down on something in the screenplay (?) and during the first table-read, Craig was helpless with laughter at this.)
    dmwalker wrote: »
    antovolk wrote: »

Yes - basically (I know you don't need spoiler tags but anyway)
    the ending is Bond seemingly leaving MI6 (retiring or just for a while - thankfully that's unclear and that's how they can get Bond to come back for the next one) with Madeleine. Earlier drafts (the October one to be precise) had Bond killing Blofeld, while the December version and the finished film should have Bond arresting Blofeld and handing him over to M's men. One part lots of people have an issue on is Bond throwing his gun away symbolically in the Thames after, remarking that "he doesn't need it anymore".

The very early conversations between Sony execs and MGM (late 2013/early 2014 when it was just Logan writing this and before Purvis and Wade came on board to completely rework the story) definitely had "one last mission" mentioned as the hook of the film. Here it's more vague and that's why I like it to be honest, like I said above

Thanks for that. Doesn't really explain why it would be impossible for Craig, specifically, to return. But I do know that there were at least two uncredited writers working on the screenplay right into production, so I'd be surprised if any available draft is completely accurate.

(Oh - one stupid anecdote from one of those writers (not the source of my information) - there was a description of two "giant balls" smashing down on something in the screenplay (?) and during the first table-read, Craig was helpless with laughter at this.)

Yeah exactly, it's not impossible for Craig to return but not impossible for him to leave. The footage released matches fully, although they def ended up changing and reshooting some scenes - but in terms of locations etc probably. IMO stuff past the first 100 pages has potential to change, that's the part of the script that needed work previously while everyone was super happy with the first 100 pages.

And the anecdote - don't think that description appears in either of the drafts I read although may that have referred to Q's "M wants my balls for Christmas decorations" quip?
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Well, I still haven't read the leaked script. But I couldn't ignore this. I just read Mr. @dmwalker message about Craig leaving after SPECTRE and all I have to say is that I was amongst the 15 journalists in a roundtable last march in Mexico City talking to Daniel and this was brought to the table, and what HE said was: "As long as they want me in the role, I'm in." ;)

But, we all know this is just a business.
    ^^^ yup - and a surprising amount of stuff said just for PR purposes/studio mandates.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    No doubt.
    Well, I still haven't read the leaked script. But I couldn't ignore this. I just read Mr. @dmwalker message about Craig leaving after SPECTRE and all I have to say is that I was amongst the 15 journalists in a roundtable last march in Mexico City talking to Daniel and this was brought to the table, and what HE said was: "As long as they want me in the role, I'm in." ;)

But, we all know this is just a business.

Yes, I don't know if that proves anything either way.

But look: I am sincerely and honestly reporting what was told to me. I can't tell you for a fact that it's true or that something won't change. It wasn't Craig that told me this but it was someone on that level and this was only a few weeks ago. It doesn't make sense to me either but I don't see why they would have lied. It wasn't appropriate for me to push any further. I'll see if I can find out any more.

• edited June 2015 Posts: 4,619
    Well, I'm not surprised. Ever since I read the screenplay back in December, I have believed Spectre will be Craig's last Bond film. It makes perfect sense.

- Originally they wanted to do a two-movie arc, I don't think Craig leaving after his 5th movie would have surprised anyone. This two-movie arc is now condensed into one film.
    - Skyfall was about Bond being too old for the job. It wouldn't make much sense for Craig's Bond to continue working for MI6 in two or more films after Skyfall.
    - Spectre's ending is the perfect ending for Craig's Bond.

As for Bond 25, my guess is that Spectre won't return. The new Bond WON'T be Damian Lewis (he is 44 already!), and the reboot will be a "soft reboot". They won't show the beginnings of Bond again. Anyway, thank you for the insider informations @dmwalker !
    As someone who has read the Dec. script, the way the script ends all but guarantees Craig returning for B25.
    SPECTRE ends with ESB alive and Bond leaving with Swann. Obviously ESB and Swann (however briefly in Swann's case) will reappear in B25
    You're not going to bring them back with a new Bond actor. Craig would have to return to finish off the ESB story. And after all we heard about them scrapping the 2-picture story arc, obviously, at some point during the re-writes and the transition from Logan to P&W, they decided to once again return to the 2-picture story arc.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 4,619
    @mdileo007
    Spectre ends with Blofeld captured, Bond leaving MI6 and finally having a normal relationship with a woman. It is THE perfect ending for Craig's Bond. The Blofeld story is pretty much finished at the end of Spectre. Sure, they could continue it if they really wanted to (Blofeld escapes! the bad guy kills Bond's girlfriend yet again!), but it wouldn't make much sense. And nothing indicates that they decided to return to the two-movie story arc.

Some people might say that it would be disappointing if Spectre reappeared only for this one film, but the thing is that the organisation was present in all 3 previous Bond films, we just didn't know about it earlier.
    Spoiler:
    Spectre ends with Blofeld captured, Bond leaving MI6 and finally having a normal relationship with a woman. It is THE perfect ending for Craig's Bond. The Blofeld story is pretty much finished at the end of Spectre. Sure they could continue it if they really wanted to (Blofeld escapes! the bad guy kills Bond's girlfriend yet again!), but it wouldn't make much sense. And nothing indicates that they decided to return to the two-movie story arc.

Some people might say that it would be disappointing if Spectre reappeared only for this one film, but the thing is that the organisation was present in all 3 previous Bond films, we just didn't know about it earlier.
    You don't think the last line of the film is an indication that B25 is a direct sequel?

And why keep ESB alive if he is not coming back in the next film?

You could be right. I'm just reading it differently.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    @dmwalker ...I am sorry I attacked you. Just hit me as pretense ..and I can't stand that.

I was wrong to respond the way I did. Thanks for sharing.. I don't necessarily agree but I should have presented my opinion differently.

• edited June 2015 Posts: 2,015
    dmwalker wrote: »
    Ok, I can see how this is going to go. I really didn't want to get into a whole load of posts attacking my credibility.

No need to worry :) Rumours about problems with Logan's script ? Almost no one believed them. Rumours about the movie being titled "SPECTRE" (before it was in the press) ? Almost no one believed them. Some experts here even proved it was *not* SPECTRE the days before the press conference :)

I don't know if you're right or wrong. I was also told the very same thing about this one being Craig's last quite some time ago but by someone who was definitely explaining it was just rumours, or rather, that the rumours were that the creative team itself did not know what to do on this very topic.

What I know for sure is that all that's being said about "contracts" can be forgotten. Only them know what they will do. And I'm not sure they're 100% sure. The open ending we have in the script may be a choice to be handle both possibilities (Craig's last or not ?) after seeing the audience's reaction etc etc. There have been quite radical changes on it, furthermore. The change of the studio is a major factor. This is an industry, after all. Years may be spent agreeing on another contract, and Craig won't be younger. I think no one knows what will happen (except the few who always know everything).

I don't think Craig is leaving because the way I read it its s cliffhanger
  • JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    2. How did your conversation come up? A KEY creative member for SPECTRE wouldn't just go around talking about Craig leaving, especially BEFORE the big release later this year. That isn't a casual conversation, especially with someone not on the SPECTRE team, like yourself.

JW, I've been aware of huge scoops like dozens of other nobodies in the industry. The 'you'll never work for movies if you talk' threat is *very* efficient. But it was just that : talk and talk about such and such scoop. Any piece of evidence that would turn a rumour into a proven fact is on the other hand very hard to get (unless you're a Sony executive who put the secrets on the Internet :) ). For instance, a colleague of mine saw the images of Avatar far before anyone else (to make it brief, to prepare some goodies), but he had to enter a closed computer room with someone from the production always there, and the computer on which he could see the first images was a no WIFI, no USB, etc.. computer.

So he could tell anyone after that what the images looked like, but he could not prove it to anyone. Obviously, when you prepare goodies with him, you trust him because well, that's part of his job to design the goodies. But he would not have been able to leak anything.. And if we had leaked the goodies, big troubles...

No one knows for sure what is going to happen post- Spectre except MGW, BB and DC and a few suits in Hollywood. End of. All this rubbish about a so called anonymous contact on the film sets pilling the beans on DC allegedly leaving belongs in the tabloid rags.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 5,745
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    2. How did your conversation come up? A KEY creative member for SPECTRE wouldn't just go around talking about Craig leaving, especially BEFORE the big release later this year. That isn't a casual conversation, especially with someone not on the SPECTRE team, like yourself.

JW, I've been aware of huge scoops like dozens of other nobodies in the industry. The 'you'll never work for movies if you talk' threat is *very* efficient. But it was just that : talk and talk about such and such scoop. Any piece of evidence that would turn a rumour into a proven fact is on the other hand very hard to get (unless you're a Sony executive who put the secrets on the Internet :) ). For instance, a colleague of mine saw the images of Avatar far before anyone else (to make it brief, to prepare some goodies), but he had to enter a closed computer room with someone from the production always there, and the computer on which he could see the first images was a no WIFI, no USB, etc.. computer.

So he could tell anyone after that what the images looked like, but he could not prove it to anyone. Obviously, when you prepare goodies with him, you trust him because well, that's part of his job to design the goodies. But he would not have been able to leak anything.. And if we had leaked the goodies, big troubles...

@Suivez_ce_parachute

What Blofeld's scar will look like in the movie, and your $40 Million dollar, Billion dollar grossing actor walking out on you are two VERY different topics. One I see as casual, the other one gut wrenching to the point of going mute. I never said anything about threats, I'm just not convinced somebody *brags* about Daniel Craig leaving the role of James Bond, especially before the release of the big follow up to Skyfall. I just do not think that just "comes up".

Especially considering there is a looming contract - meaningful or not - binding Craig at least until SPECTRE is released, upon which there is a lot of time to convince / bribe / lure Craig to stay for one more.

If this was happening say this upcoming January, I would be more able to believe it. Craigs done now that SPECTRE is out. Cool. But now? Five months until one of the biggest movies of the year drops? You really willing to risk news of your actor leaving you just before the publicity begins to kick off? Do you want every article about your upcoming film to finish with "Rumors claim this is Craig's last?" and people trying to guess what made him quit?

I can't say I would be any more convincing in @dmwalker 's shoes trying to tell us what is and what isn't. I'm just discussing what he provided, and backing my thinking. I would be very excited at the prospect of a new Bond actor, but I just don't think the timing is right for anything - not for somebody KEY to the franchise to let slip that Craig is out before your film's marketing has even geared up - and the timing is not right in the franchise for a new guy. I think you invest everything you can into at least one more picture with Craig.

I doubt Craig has given notice when he isn't even done shooting yet. It doesn't seem like the thing to do.
    @dmwalker, the problem with push back on this site is one of logic. You just established an account for the single purpose of dropping this big spoiler about Craig that you are claiming came from "not Craig, but someone on that level." Really. How many people are on Craig's level on the Bond film? And that person, on Craig's level, felt fine with telling you this huge confidential and highly impactfull leak without telling you to shut the hell up about it. And now you felt free to immediately run to the Mi6 site, establish an account and immediately spill. You are Mr. Integrity. Either you are a troll, a PR rep for Lewis, or Elba or who ever the hell is gunning for the Bond gig this week, or someone with a beef with Craig or EON or Sony, the list is no doubt very long.

Or, let's say you really did get the skinny from say, good old Naomi (who I think believes she is above Craig's level), she has to know she'd be in deep s... having already floated the phony Elba is in negotiation with EON crap last year (which she is now trying to walk back in the press). If true, EON could not possibly want this info out before the film opens. It undermines potential SP BO, as clearly noted in that LA Times piece I linked to a few days ago about all the new buzz over a Bond replacement.

Something doesn't pass the smell test on your noting your source is "someone on Craig's level." My .02 is that if you are legit, and really did hear this rumor from someone "on Craig's level," you - or they - are being played. But who knows. The count down to SP in Oct. is going to be crazy.
    Craig is bound to bond 25 now mind you contracts get bought out all the time but if spectre is another billion dollar film (which with that dramatic an ending oh it will be) they will drive dump trucks of money to Craig's house if need be.

I just don't see any finachel or creative reason to drop Craig especially if Shatterhand (bond 25) is as juicy artistically as we assume it will be
    smitty wrote: »
    @dmwalker, the problem with push back on this site is one of logic. You just established an account for the single purpose of dropping this big spoiler about Craig that you are claiming came from "not Craig, but someone on that level." Really. How many people are on Craig's level on the Bond film? And that person, on Craig's level, felt fine with telling you this huge confidential and highly impactfull leak without telling you to shut the hell up about it. And now you felt free to immediately run to the Mi6 site, establish an account and immediately spill. You are Mr. Integrity. Either you are a troll, a PR rep for Lewis, or Elba or who ever the hell is gunning for the Bond gig this week, or someone with a beef with Craig or EON or Sony, the list is no doubt very long.

Or, let's say you really did get the skinny from say, good old Naomi (who I think believes she is above Craig's level), she has to know she'd be in deep s... having already floated the phony Elba is in negotiation with EON crap last year (which she is now trying to walk back in the press). If true, EON could not possibly want this info out before the film opens. It undermines potential SP BO, as clearly noted in that LA Times piece I linked to a few days ago about all the new buzz over a Bond replacement.

Something doesn't pass the smell test on your noting your source is "someone on Craig's level." My .02 is that if you are legit, and really did hear this rumor from someone "on Craig's level," you - or they - are being played. But who knows. The count down to SP in Oct. is going to be crazy.

The best summary of my reasoning I couldn't produce. Eloquent @smitty
    Thanks @jwestbrook. We are on the same page on this.

According to this rumor, either Craig is giving up a $20million + salary, with some back end points likely at this point which means a really, huge salary, or he is being fired. He made no film for 3 yrs between Bonds, so he sure ain't desperate to do other films, and if he were indeed fired, EON would look nuts as he has been pouring gold into their pockets. I don't know which scenario is crazier. A 3rd scenario which is the only rational one, is that SP could bomb, and Craig would then walk, but that scenario is unknown to everyone, including leakers, till SP opens. Maybe Mr. Integrity head the rumor alright, but missed three words - "if SP bombs."
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I just don't see any finachel or creative reason to drop Craig

What if Chris Nolan is ready to direct Bond 25, but wants to cast a new actor in the leading role and do his own thing, instead of continuing the Craig era? What if the producers are eager to work with him? What if Craig wants to leave anyway? Ok, this is just speculation, but you can think up many different scenarios where there are creative and/or financial reasons to drop Craig.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I just don't see any finachel or creative reason to drop Craig

What if Chris Nolan is ready to direct Bond 25, but wants to cast a new actor in the leading role and do his own thing, instead of continuing the Craig era? What if the producers are eager to work with him? What if Craig wants to leave anyway? Ok, this is just speculation, but you can think up many different scenarios where there are creative and/or financial reasons to drop Craig.

Eon would be crazy to boot Craig in favour of Nolan directing. I'm not even that thrilled about Nolan directing but the marketing admittedly would be insane in terms of hype. Nolan directing Craig, however, that would alleviate my concerns of Nolan directing somewhat.

• If -- and that's a big if -- this is actually Daniel Craig's finale and Eon actually decides to recast the role, then Michael G. Wilson really did mean it when he gave this talk in 2012:

(Start at 14:55 mark)

• Just to be clear, I'm not endorsing one side or the other in this discussion. MGW has also said on occasion he hopes Daniel Craig breaks Roger Moore's record for Bond films.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Nolan will never Direct a Bond movie until he takes some better writing classes.
    The one thing I believe, is, that Michael G Wilson will quit after "Spectre" and turn things over to his son Gregg.
    He speaks about how exhausting producing a Bond film is, in almost every interview.
  • Jan1985 wrote: »
    The one thing I believe, is, that Michael G Wilson will quit after "Spectre" and turn things over to his son Gregg.
    He speaks about how exhausting producing a Bond film is, in almost every interview.

Yes, he has done that since at least 1997 and Tomorrow Never Dies.
    New batch of Sony emails added to WikiLeaks. Seems as of October last year the UK date Sony had in mind was indeed November, that was the rough schedule anyway. All depends on whether they get the DCPs mastered in time.
  • aaron819aaron819 Switzerland
    @antovolk Do you have a link for those emails?
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 2,015
    JW, when I talked about scoops dozens of nobodies could be aware of, I meant real scoop, like Marvel working on an Iron Man movie months before it was announced, etc.
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    You really willing to risk news of your actor leaving you just before the publicity begins to kick off?

Even if this is true, it seems obvious to me all this will be denied until the official announcement well after SPECTRE. But yes, I find it very likely that such a decision could be discussed freely and informally : when you have no proof, no ones believe you in the first place, and the press will hesitate to run the story, so no need for a Mafia kind of secrecy. Even with a leaked script, notice that the press is not running stories spoiling everything.

I don't know if dmwalker says the truth or not, but IMO forget "logic" in the debunking of this. One thing that could happen for instance is that his source is actually involved indeed in the moviemaking process, and is actually believing it, and is in fact wrong because there have been yet another change of mood, etc.

Anyhow, if one consider all the rumours that were reported here about Logan's script problems, SPECTRE title, Lea Seydoux casting, the script being leaked, etc... one should remember they were all "debunked". This forum is not very good at judging rumours I'm afraid :)

if spectre is another billion dollar film an ending oh it will be) they will drive dump trucks of money to Craig's house if need be.

Troube is : no one knows who "they" will be. Sony's deal is over with SPECTRE. And the leaks tell us Sony didn't want to pay millions to Craig for SPECTRE related advertising. We'll see if indeed we have ads with Q as they proposed to do...