SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

bondjames wrote: »
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    One thing I will say guys. There is an older demographic who go to the cinema maybe once a year. They come out to see new Bond films and hike up the numbers. That demographic don't go see Avengers, Hunger Games etc. Bond has appeal for all ages unlike the aforementioned. Star Wars will beat Spectre but Spectre in sure will sit in a nice comfortable second highest 2015 release in cinema.

Yeah, this is one of the main reasons they always open a Bond movie before Thanksgiving in the US, that's a traditional family-get-together-and-see-a-movie weekend. Same as Christmas/New Year, but obviously Star Wars will be the main attraction then.

Star Wars is the event movie of this year. No doubt.

SF was that in Christmas 2012 (not Hobbit) imho.

True. But what's the worst thing that could happen after 6 weeks? "SPECTRE" will most certainly not be the nr. 1 movie at that time anymore. Just like in 2012.

Actually, "Skyfall" actually retained top spot early December, before "Hobbit" premiered. So before the "Star Wars" premiere on December 18th, there are 17 more days before that "SPECTRE" can repeat something similar. And even after December 18th Christmas is coming up, so "SPECTRE" by then could still be TOP 4 box office with good holdover.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    One thing I will say guys. There is an older demographic who go to the cinema maybe once a year. They come out to see new Bond films and hike up the numbers. That demographic don't go see Avengers, Hunger Games etc. Bond has appeal for all ages unlike the aforementioned. Star Wars will beat Spectre but Spectre in sure will sit in a nice comfortable second highest 2015 release in cinema.

Yeah, this is one of the main reasons they always open a Bond movie before Thanksgiving in the US, that's a traditional family-get-together-and-see-a-movie weekend. Same as Christmas/New Year, but obviously Star Wars will be the main attraction then.

Star Wars is the event movie of this year. No doubt.

SF was that in Christmas 2012 (not Hobbit) imho.

True. But what's the worst thing that could happen after 6 weeks? "SPECTRE" will most certainly not be the nr. 1 movie at that time anymore. Just like in 2012.

Actually, "Skyfall" actually retained top spot early December, before "Hobbit" premiered. So before the "Star Wars" premiere on December 18th, there are 17 more days before that "SPECTRE" can repeat something similar. And even after December 18th Christmas is coming up, so "SPECTRE" by then could still be TOP 4 box office with good holdover.

No doubt about it. I agree with you.

My point is about the repeat viewings and the enthusiasm to go back and see it again among casual fans. I remember 2012 being crap around this time apart for SF, so I went back and saw it again (with another set of friends) and again. In 2015, I may actually go and see SW7 3 times if it's as good as it can be (not saying I will......but I might......that will impact SP). I have a lot of friends who can't wait for SW7 (they are real fans while I count myself as a casual fan).

So the calendar and the competition does matter, on the margin.

Having said that, SP will get its gross in much faster than SF did. It's going to be front loaded so expect some very heavy marketing just before release. The title track is critical to get the buzz imho. It had better be good.....
    Star Wars will have the power over SP in terms of holiday viewings IMO. SP needs to make most of its money right before SW gets released.

My point is about the repeat viewings and the enthusiasm to go back and see it again among casual fans. I remember 2012 being crap around this time apart for SF, so I went back and saw it again (with another set of friends) and again. In 2015, I may actually go and see SW7 3 times if it's as good as it can be (not saying I will......but I might......that will impact SP). I have a lot of friends who can't wait for SW7 (they are real fans while I count myself as a casual fan).

Yeah Spectre is going to get cut off at the knees by Star Wars, it won't be allowed to run as long and wide as Skyfall did. And then with the Twilight/Hunger Games comparison, Hunger Games is a lot more popular than Twilight ever was, they're making at least $100 mil more. So yeah Spectre has to go big right out of the gate. I actually wrote a hypothetical week-to-week look at its US potential here :

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/441501/#Comment_441501
  • RC7RC7
    edited June 2015 Posts: 10,512

Yeah Spectre is going to get cut off at the knees by Star Wars, it won't be allowed to run as long and wide as Skyfall did. And then with the Twilight/Hunger Games comparison, Hunger Games is a lot more popular than Twilight ever was, they're making at least $100 mil more. So yeah Spectre has to go big right out of the gate. I actually wrote a hypothetical week-to-week look at its US potential here :

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/441501/#Comment_441501

I actually couldn't give two shits what SP makes, as long as I love it. That said, with my objective head on I would agree with your points. If it doesn't fly out of the blocks, one imagines it will suffer. SW is this years behemoth.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 11,119

I think it's a way too bleak forecast you're mentioning here I think. Just have a look at how fast this year movies like "Furious 7" and "Avengers 2" crossed the 1 Billion mark globally. Did steam machine "Avengers 2" prevent "Furious 7" staying power one month after it premiered? So I think your argument about "Star Wars" isn't 100% realistic, though I think there's some truth in it.

"The Hunger Games" is a great franchise yes, but especially the last two films didn't do as big as the first film. Actually, the 3rd film slightly disappointed as compared to the 2nd film. the franchise's staying power is less strong than the last Bond film. All will depend on critical reviews as well though, but I can't see "Hunger Games" crossing the 1 Billion mark globally that easily. I think "SPECTRE" will cross that mark easier.

One last thing: "Skyfall" was a unique Bond film in that it created influx of a lot of new fans. People who would otherwise not visit a general Bond film. Yes, at was also the 50th anniversary, but names like Adele, Sam Mendes and Javier Bardem were so huge and big, that many people simply wanted to see the film because of these big names.

I still think people underestimate the legacy that "Skyfall" created. And then we haven't discussed China yet. Whatever happens, SP will outperform SF in China. SF'S box office return in hindsight was very disappointing. SP will already gross $25 Million more than SF, even if it gets a late premiere date as opposed to November 6th.
    RC7 wrote: »

I actually couldn't give two shits what SP makes, as long as I love it. That said, with my objective head on I would agree with your points. If it doesn't fly out of the blocks, one imagines it will suffer. SW is this years behemoth.

I have the same concerns but I also think the glut of spy films opening just weeks, and days before SP could also damage it's BO. You can't help but wonder how many IMAX screens will they eat up and can hold if they are hits. MI, Uncle and Bridge of Spys could also all threaten Bond's BO by creating Spy movie fatigue. They also just moved The Martian to a month before Bond opens. More competition for adult viewers. Some of these films will flop as there is just too much competition.

China could also be a problem. They opened SF very late during the same time frame 3 yrs ago. By the time it opened, the movie was heavily bootlegged by the tech savvy Chinese and did poorly. Unless they can arrange to open it quickly, BO in China could suffer again. I read somewhere that Mad Max isn't even playing in China which seems nuts. Anyone know if that is accurate? For sure, another 1B gross is going to be a lot tougher to achieve this time around.

I think it's a way too bleak forecast you're mentioning here I think. Just have a look at how fast this year movies like "Furious 7" and "Avengers 2" crossed the 1 Billion mark globally. Did steam machine "Avengers 2" prevent "Furious 7" staying power one month after it premiered? So I think your argument about "Star Wars" isn't 100% realistic, though I think there's some truth in it.

"The Hunger Games" is a great franchise yes, but especially the last two films didn't do as big as the first film. It's staying power is less strong than the last Bond film. All will depend on critical reviews as well though.

One last thing: "Skyfall" was a unique Bond film in that it created influx of a lot of new fans. People who would otherwise not visit a general Bond film. Yes, at was also the 50th anniversary, but names like Adele, Sam Mendes and Javier Bardem were so huge and big, that many people simply wanted to see the film because of these big names.

I still think people underestimate the legacy that "Skyfall" created. And then we haven't discussed China yet. Whatever happens, SP will outperform SF in China. SF'S box office return in hindsight was very disappointing. SP will already gross $25 Million more than SF, even if it gets a late premiere date as opposed to November 6th.
    smitty wrote: »

I have the same concerns but I also think the glut of spy films opening just weeks, and days before SP could also damage it's BO. You can't help but wonder how many IMAX screens will they eat up and can hold if they are hits. MI, Uncle and Bridge of Spys could also all threaten Bond's BO by creating Spy movie fatigue. They also just moved The Martian to a month before Bond opens. More competition for adult viewers. Some of these films will flop as there is just too much competition.

China could also be a problem. They opened SF very late during the same time frame 3 yrs ago. By the time it opened, the movie was heavily bootlegged by the tech savvy Chinese and did poorly. Unless they can arrange to open it quickly, BO in China could suffer again. I read somewhere that Mad Max isn't even playing in China which seems nuts. Anyone know if that is accurate? For sure, another 1B gross is going to be a lot tougher to achieve this time around.

Sorry, I don't believe at all in this "spy fatigue". It's the same as this so called "comic book fatigue". We probably see it, but the real visitors don't.

I for instance believe this immensely crowded box office year is actually activating and stimulating cinema visits. I think movies like "Furious 7", "Avengers 2", "Minions", "Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation", "Jurassic World", "Hunger Games", "SPECTRE" and "Star Wars 7" are indirectly helping each other's box office successes a bit.
    Martian has 5 weekends before Spectre opens. Bridge of spies has 3 weekends before Spectre opens. These are not concerns. I think its a little odd that Bridge is opening mid-October, shouldn't a Spielberg/Hanks film be a much bigger deal? Looks very talky and more like a courtroom drama, it isn't exactly going to deliver Bond-like thrills.

I think its better for Spectre that the Martian moved to Oct, instead of being another movie opening at Thanksgiving which would need screen space (including IMAX). Personally I don't think it looks very good, not as 'big' in scope as Gravity or Interstellar

The spy fatigue thing is more of a concern for UNCLE, it won't be a problem for Bond, which always has its own unique appeal. All these imitation Diet Coke-Bond movies do is increase appetite for the real thing :)
    Martian has 5 weekends before Spectre opens. Bridge of spies has 3 weekends before Spectre opens. These are not concerns. I think its a little odd that Bridge is opening mid-October, shouldn't a Spielberg/Hanks film be a much bigger deal? Looks very talky and more like a courtroom drama, it isn't exactly going to deliver Bond-like thrills.

I think its better for Spectre that the Martian moved to Oct, instead of being another movie opening at Thanksgiving which would need screen space (including IMAX). Personally I don't think it looks very good, not as 'big' in scope as Gravity or Interstellar

The spy fatigue thing is more of a concern for UNCLE, it won't be a problem for Bond, which always has its own unique appeal. All these imitation Diet Coke-Bond movies do is increase appetite for the real thing :)

And let's face it. Isn't it a wunderful build-up to "SPECTRE"? First all the wannabe-spy movies, and then in November we get the piece-de-resistance. James Bond 007 in "SPECTRE" :-). There can't be a better road/build-up towards Her Majesty's Secret Agent ;-).
  • I am not as optimistic as the most of you. This is my bet for 2015 Top 3:
    1.- Star Wars 1,700 M
    2.- Furious 7 1,500 M +
    3.- Avengers 2 1,400 M
    Spectre will make about 900 M and is going to fight for a place in Top 5 with Hunger Games, Jurassic World, Minions and maybe one of the Pixar realeases.
    I am not as optimistic as the most of you. This is my bet for 2015 Top 3:
    1.- Star Wars 1,700 M
    2.- Furious 7 1,500 M +
    3.- Avengers 2 1,400 M
    Spectre will make about 900 M and is going to fight for a place in Top 5 with Hunger Games, Jurassic World, Minions and maybe one of the Pixar realeases.

This is very much in line with my expectations, although I think SP can just crack $1bn.. Only if the action is amazing (to pull in the Asian crowd) will it go beyond that....
    I guess, it can go both ways. LÖets hope, GG is right though. I VERY much hope, he is.
    I am not as optimistic as the most of you. This is my bet for 2015 Top 3:
    1.- Star Wars 1,700 M
    2.- Furious 7 1,500 M +
    3.- Avengers 2 1,400 M

This is very much in line with my expectations, although I think SP can just crack $1bn.. Only if the action is amazing (to pull in the Asian crowd) will it go beyond that....

I'm still sticking with a = $1.2 Billion prediction. Moreover, IF "SPECTRE" banks in $900 Million on a $300 Million budget, than that would mean a slight disappointment.

@ChampionAlonso: It isn't exactly a 'bet' anymore what you say about "Furious 7" and "Avengers 2". Those figures are already more or less factual.

I see it like this: "SPECTRE" will pass the $1.2 Billion, which is an improvement over "Skyfall". But in a weird kind of twist this wunderful box office figure could perhaps only rank 5th. And that I agree.

At this stage, taking into account another insane weekend opening, this time for "Jurassic World" (+ $160 Million), I think we could perhaps see SIX movies passing the $1 Billion mark in 2015.

My bet so far:

1. + 2.0 Billion: "Star Wars 7: The Force Awakens"
    2. + 1.5 Billion: "Furious 7" (it's already a fact)
    3. + 1.4 Billion: "Avengers 2: Age Of Ultron" (it's already a fact)
    4. + 1.2 Billion: "Jurassic World"
    5. + 1.2 Billion: "SPECTRE"
    6. + 1.0 Billion: "Minions"
    7. + 0.9 Billion: "The Hunger Games 4" (just missing out the 1 Billion mark)

Some forummembers told me in 2014 that I was crazy by saying so many movies could pass the $1.0 Billion. But I think it's becoming reality: 2015 is becoming an insane box office year. Even a weak Euro isn't stopping it :-).
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 6,601
    The crazy thing is, with a BO of only 900, it would be considered almost a flop and THIS in insane together with the budget.

But my feeling is, that JW won't do that much.

BRW, do we know, what the release date is for China?
    Germanlady wrote: »
    The crazy thing is, with a BO of only 900, it would be considered almost a flop and THIS in insane together with the budget.

But my feeling is, that JW won't do that much.

BRW, do we know, what the release date is for China?

In the US, JW is already at $155M.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 389
    Euro and British Pound are not so weak as we thought some months ago, which is important because Europe is still #1 market for 007 movies (Skyfall made almost 500 M in European Economic Area). I expect an improvement in other important markets as China, Korea and Mexico. However, "topping" Skyfall is going to be difficult and I think a 900 Million box office would be good enough.
    If SP can crack the $1bn mark, hit the #5 rank spot for the yr, & do better in China and the US compared to SF, then I think it will be considered a success, even if it does not equal or exceed SF's haul, and even with its reported insane budget. I think all of that is possible...

I have to say that the first film of the year that I am strongly thinking of seeing twice in the theatre is JW. I'm trying to resist, but may succumb next week......
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    JW at $83million already.
    Yeah I do think $1 billion is the line that SPECTRE must cross to be considered a true success, given that's what Skyfall (more than) did, and given that several other big movies have/will also hit that mark this year. It doesn't necessarily have to beat Skyfall. 900+ is also fine and nothing to scoff at, but will mean they "lost" $200 mil worth of business from last time. If its below 800 then that means its dropped down to the same ballpark as CR/QOS and means that Skyfall was a one off. (CR's box office haul is 'worth' about 700 million in 2015 money).

If it gets a decent China gross (which is very possible since it seems much more action heavy than SF) then I think it could hit $1bn, even with a weaker Euro, & especially with the pricier IMAX theatre receipts (which they only really started doing heavily with SF).
    If the film is as good or better as SF, that will also play a major factor.
    OMG, this is insane. It seems Universal is competing full-throttle with Disney now. After the insane success of Universal's "Furious 7", there's a good chance Universal will have not just a 2nd movie crossing the $1.0 Billion global box office, but perhaps even a 2nd film crossing the $1.5 Billion!
    Saturday Update #2: A wave of nostalgia, Chris Pratt's rapidly rising star power, and one of the best marketing campaigns in years have paid off for Universal and Legendary Pictures in an even bigger way than already expected. The studio reports this morning that Jurassic World rocked the box office with a stunning $82.8 million opening day, giving it the third highest first day gross in history behind Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 ($91.1 million) and Avengers: Age of Ultron ($84.4 million). Even more impressive is the fact that after its already-strong $18.5 million Thursday night gross, the film earned $64.3 million on Friday proper -- the highest single day gross of all-time when excluding any Thursday night or midnight grosses. That record previously belonged to Marvel's The Avengers with $62.1 million (removing its $18.7 million in midnight show earnings).

There are more than enough statistics to begin culling from World's shocking performance so far. Compared to its own franchise... there are no comparisons. Although the original Jurassic Park ($47 million) once claimed the opening weekend record in 1993, as did its 1997 follow-up, The Lost World ($72.1 million), those numbers still wouldn't reflect the massive attendance of Jurassic World when adjusted for inflation ($92.2 million adjusted weekend for the original and $128 million adjusted for the second pic). In fact, World is poised to exceed the entire domestic run of 2001's Jurassic Park III ($181.2 million) in just three days.

On the all-time weekend chart, Jurassic World will break up Marvel's dominance on the top three spots. Iron Man 3's third-best $174.1 million weekend will fall a spot, and Ultron's $191.3 million should go down as well given the strength of World's Friday business combined with the presumption that it will continue playing strongly on Saturday and Sunday thanks to very positive word of mouth. Unconfirmed reports from other outlets suggest it received an "A" CinemaScore, while Flixster users have given it a strong 87 percent approval.

No June release has ever approached Friday attendance levels this high (meaning comparisons aren't concrete right now) and schools being out this time of year means some front-loading to Friday is reasonably expected. That said, giving World the same weekend math as Man of Steel (the June record-holder entering the weekend) when adding in all of the latter's Thursday preview grosses would net $190 million -- and that 2013 film didn't have near the kind of post-preview business or healthy word of mouth as World seems to. Also worth noting are the NBA Finals on Sunday which could hamper evening grosses, although word of mouth may be able to compensate for that.

All told, we think momentum is unstoppable at this point and Jurassic World is on pace to become the second film ever to crack the $200 million threshold, with a realistic shot at breaking the first Avengers' all-time $207.44 million opening weekend record. Universal itself projects a $181.4 million weekend, but we're aiming higher in our official projection of $210 million.

In other news, Spy was off 54 percent from its opening day last week to $4.775 million in second place yesterday. The Melissa McCarthy-Paul Feig laugher has tallied $45.7 million in its first eight days of release. BoxOffice projects a $15.5 million sophomore frame.
    Very sad. The more films achieve that, the higher gets the pressure on Bond. No
    t good at all.
    JW is awesome folks (although not as good as 1 & 2). Easily the best big budget actioner of the year for me. Go see it.
  • RC7RC7
    JW is awesome folks (although not as good as 1 & 2). Easily the best big budget actioner of the year for me. Go see it.

I found it lacklustre.

I found it lacklustre.

Critically speaking yes (especially in comparision to 1 & 2). However, we're in June, and Avengers & FF7 did not live up to expectations. My standards are lower now, and this did the trick for me. Looking forward to MI5 next to get summer rolling.
  • RC7RC7

I found it lacklustre.

Critically speaking yes (especially in comparision to 1 & 2). However, we're in June, and Avengers & FF7 did not live up to expectations. My standards are lower now, and this did the trick for me. Looking forward to MI5 next to get summer rolling.

I think Mad Max is far and away my favourite blockbuster of the year so far. I thought Avengers was so-so. Haven't seen F7, not really my bag those films.

I found it lacklustre.

I think Mad Max is far and away my favourite blockbuster of the year so far. I thought Avengers was so-so. Haven't seen F7, not really my bag those films.

I really liked Mad Max too. Amazing film.

I think JW is the first of the predicted mega movies of 2015 that lived up to the hype in terms of being entertaining, if nothing else. That's what I was happy about when I left the theatre. Also, there could be some nostalgia creeping in since it's been a long time since I've seen a Jurassic movie.

Avengers was the one that really let me down given my expectations (I enjoyed the first one immensely - and maybe am just getting Marvel fatigue - there's only so many building collapses one can take without getting bored....).

I knew what to expect from FF7 and it didn't even meet those expecations for me - a CGI crapfest. Amazed at how much money it's made.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Very sad. The more films achieve that, the higher gets the pressure on Bond. No
    t good at all.

Come on :-). The fact that "Furious 7", "Avengers 2" & "Jurassic World" are doing great, does not mean that there's more pressure on "SPECTRE".

Moreover, it was predicted that these three movies would be 1 Billion Dollar candidates. But so is "SPECTRE".

Also, if one looks closely at the marketing strategy of "SPECTRE", and the fact that we get trailers so bloody soon, does indicate that SONY/MGM/EON were very well prepared for this insane box office year :-).