SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

"Furious 7" global box office totals at this stage:
    $1,466,555,135
    It now has a serious shot of crossing the $1.5 Billion

In the meanwhile, also "Avengers 2" is doing staggering work. Its global box office take now stands at:
    $0,875,802,397

Though in China, "Avengers 2" is slightly lagging behind on the first day opening record last month of "Furious 7". These absolutely pales to "Skyfall"s opening day in China though, back in early 2013:
    1st day opening box office "Furious 7":....$55.74 Million (Sunday)
    1st day opening box office "Avengers 2":.$32.48 million (Tuesday)
    1st day opening box office "Skyfall":........$05.10 million

SF did lousy numbers in China because it opening months after it opened elsewhere and the tech savy Chinese had already heavily bootlegged it. One hopes EON and SONY have more clout this time and it opens early in China (like F & F and Avengers 2 did) so that it too can make decent BO.
    Alexedward wrote: »
    Well the Sony leaked emails also revealed that SPECTRE will be the most costliest movie of franchise with the budget of $300 Millions plus. So we can expect something new that fans are never treated during the Craig era. Few days behind the images released the one featuring motorbikes (may be from Q) whereas the other includes speedboats. I am pretty much sure that this movie will bring something new and exciting for all of us!

I am curious though about that net $300 Million production budget. It's from those leaked emails no? What if it wasn't leaked? Would the 'public' budget, available on Boxofficemojo.com, etc, not be lower? Let's say $250 Million?

And if that's the case, and if emails from Disney/Marvel are being leaked now, could it not be possible that their net effective budgets are way way higher than we previously thought?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited May 2015 Posts: 11,139
    Well, if their returns are closing in on and crossing a billion dollars it doesn't matter, whcih is essentially the case with Disney/Marvel. Secondly, Disney aren't exactly short on funds or assets, they can afford and get away with a few financial disappointments. What matters is, SP's budget has been leaked and exposed and it's going to have to make a serious killing to not be a financial disappointment. That being said, with it's budget, I pray the money wasn't squandered like the case was with QoS but from the looks of things, SP appears to be justifying the budget but we have to obviously wait and see.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited May 2015 Posts: 2,138
    I think Spectre will take more - Reason Skyfall was succesfull even on the back QOS the PR for Skyfall was incredible and hightened with it being the big 50 celebration. Skyfall has gathered a new audience, even from those who previously did'nt buy in to Bond but love the Craig era films. I think Spectre could take $1.5B I think it will be in one of the top 5 grossing films in box office history knocking out Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 from 5th spot.
    If its a good film which I believe it will be then i believe it will break a billion. But i cant help but think Star Wars is going to stop it from crossing 1.2 or .1.3 billion.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Well, if their returns are closing in on and crossing a billion dollars it doesn't matter, whcih is essentially the case with Disney/Marvel. Secondly, Disney aren't exactly short on funds or assets, they can afford and get away with a few financial disappointments. What matters is, SP's budget has been leaked and exposed and it's going to have to make a serious killing to not be a financial disappointment. That being said, with it's budget, I pray the money wasn't squandered like the case was with QoS but from the looks of things, SP appears to be justifying the budget but we have to obviously wait and see.

Let's not forget that Spectre, like every Bond movie, will make plenty of money outside of selling tickets, that will never be reported in box office news. We already know the big product tie-ins like Jaguar, whichever watch, vodka, and electronics etc etc show up in the movie will bring in huge bucks, plus other assorted cash returns like Mexico city paying to show off the city etc.
    My biggest fear re potential BO with this thing, is that the press is going to use the leaks to beat up on the film when it opens. I think all big films and their studios lie like hell about budgets, and the 300+ million SP budget figure in the leaks probably is now off base given all the product placements and changes made since the leaks. If the film is terrific, the leaks should have little impact, but if it is so-so, the press will smell blood and they could seriously impact BO.

I hope that SP corrects the things I liked least about SF like making Bond appear old and weakened, overuse of M and in particular MP, minor use of Bond girl, etc. If I see that damn ear piece in Bond's ear again, taking direction, I'll just gag. This plot stuff was all Mendes and Logan which is why I'm no fan of their ongoing engagement. I guess I'm one poster who hopes Mendes doesn't return for 25 unless SP hopefully proves me wrong about his POV.

Certainly sounds good to me! :-bd
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Here are the global box office results from three films that "SPECTRE" should have an eye on:

"Furious 7" has now crossed the $1.5 Billion and is now the 4th highest grossing film of all time, behind "Avatar" ($2,787,965,087), "Titanic" ($2,186,772,302) & "Avengers 1" ($1,518,594,910). Current global box office total as of 31.05.2015:
    $1,500,518,000

"Avengers 2" is also doing staggering work, but it now becomes quite unpredictable if the film can pass "Furious 7"s $1.5 Billion. "Avengers 2" is now the 6th highest grossing film of all time. It will pass the $1.4 Billion. Current global box office total as 0f 31.05.2015:
    $1,285,614,000

"Kingsman: The Secret Service" has already passed the $400 Million mark and 20th Century Fox already announced in April that a sequel to this succesful film will be produced. So Mr James Bond 007 will continue competing with the Kingsmen. Current global box office total as of 31.05.2015:
    $0,403,453,150

In China, "Avengers 2" was slightly lagging behind on the first day opening record last month of "Furious 7". These figures absolutely pale to "Skyfall"s opening day in China, back in early 2013:
    1st day opening box office "Furious 7":....$55.74 Million (Sunday)
    1st day opening box office "Avengers 2":.$32.48 million (Tuesday)
    1st day opening box office "Skyfall":........$05.10 million
    Yeah i can't see SP making $1.5 billion.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 625
    Current global box office total as of 31.05.2015.

Nope.
    Your numbers are global box office totals until 29.05.2015 in the US plus overseas numbers until 24.05.2015.

The numbers up to 31.05.2015 will only be updated later today or tomorrow.
    Yeah i can't see SP making $1.5 billion.

No, but have a look at the topic title ;-).

"Kingsman: The Secret Service" has already passed the $400 Million mark and 20th Century Fox already announced in April that a sequel to this succesful film will be produced. So Mr James Bond 007 will continue competing with the Kingsmen. Current global box office total as of 31.05.2015:
    $0,403,453,150

I'm amused at the idea of Bond "competing" with Kingsman, when Kingsman is doing nothing but riding Bond's coat-tails and blatantly using Bond tropes and iconography to promote itself. The icon doesn't compete with the ripoff. Not even in the same league.

The only other spy themed series that's even on the same playing field is Mission Impossible with its last film doing $694 mil global (and even then that's half a billion less than Skyfall).
  • RC7RC7
    Who cares.
    dinovelvet wrote: »

$0,403,453,150

I'm amused at the idea of Bond "competing" with Kingsman, when Kingsman is doing nothing but riding Bond's coat-tails and blatantly using Bond tropes and iconography to promote itself. The icon doesn't compete with the ripoff. Not even in the same league.

The only other spy themed series that's even on the same playing field is Mission Impossible with its last film doing $694 mil global (and even then that's half a billion less than Skyfall).

And let's not forget "The Man From UNCLE" ;-).
    Everyone is knocking out a Spy movie, jumping on the back of Skyfall's success at the box office. Even Jude Law and Melissa McCarthy.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Everyone is knocking out a Spy movie, jumping on the back of Skyfall's success at the box office. Even Jude Law and Melissa McCarthy.
    Shades of the 60's again, when everyone was trying to ape Connery's Bonds (Our Man Flint, Matt Helm etc.).
  • RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »
    Shades of the 60's again, when everyone was trying to ape Connery's Bonds (Our Man Flint, Matt Helm etc.).

And the 90's when we had M:I kicking off, The Saint, The Avengers, Austin Powers, Spy Hard etc.
    Bond needs this competition and it can only be a good thing.
    It seems "Jurassic World" is the third film to cross the $1 Billion easily. At least, if you have to believe this ;-). In any case, my predictions seem to come true.....so far:
    Friday Update #1: Sources report that Jurassic World bowed to an excellent $18.5 million from shows beginning at 7pm on Thursday night. That appears to put the film on a continued course for the June opening weekend record, currently held by 2013's Man of Steel ($116.6 million).

Last night's stellar performance for the dino sequel notably topped Furious 7's $15.8 million Thursday haul, that film having gone on to a $147.2 million weekend. However, with most schools now out of session and vacation season beginning, the comparison with Jurassic World isn't apples-to-apples.

We'll have more updates as they come...

Jurassic World opened with a strong $24.5M first day on Wednesday in China, France, and six other territories, presaging what looks to be a phenomenal opening weekend, both domestically and overseas. China accounted for $17M of that $24.5 total (with receipts from previews thrown in) and the film was #1 in all eight markets in 6,824 theaters.

In the U.S., where screenings start tonight, the film opens on 4,273 venues, the largest ever screen count for Universal. 800 of those are on IMAX screens, which is also their largest day-and-date release.
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Just saw it. Very good imho. Obviously not up to the standards of the first one, or the second (I always enjoyed the Lost World and think it gets a bad rap for no reason), but I prefer this one to the third.

It plays out like a reboot in a way as there are elements of all three in it.

It actually is the first mega movie of the year that I think has lived up to expectations (FF7 & Avengers Ultron were relative disappointments to me, entertainment wise, given all the hype and the box office numbers).

This one will easily gross $1bn imho.

PS: - I saw the new Hunger Games- Mockingjay 2 trailer. Even though I've never seen any of those movies, I think it may cause trouble for SP (there was some cheering in the theatre when it came on), especially with SW7 coming in at around the same time as well. It's the crowded calendar that could hurt Bond (waiting for @Gustav to contradict me shortly....).
    "Twilight" was premiering one week after "Skyfall" in 2012. And "Twilight" can in many ways be compared with "The Hunger Games". Both are young adult novels, adapted to the big screen, with a slightly more female audience (55% I think).

Did "Twilight" cause trouble for "Skyfall"? On the contrary, I think they more or less enhanced each other from a free marketing perspective. Most people who went to see "Twilight", later also wanted to see "Skyfall"......and the other way around.

In the end these two movies had wunderful box office grosses:
    --> $0,829,685,377 world wide gross: "The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2"
    --> $1,108,561,013 world wide gross: "Skyfall"

And "Star Wars"? Come on, that movie premieres a big 6 weeks later, December 18th. So I think it's actually less crowded in the fall of 2015 then it is now. But on the other hand, if you see what "Furious 7", "Avengers: Age Of Ultron" and now most likely "Jurassic World"are doing at the box office, then you can already conclude this: They obviously aren't hurting each other.

I expect this to be the case with "SPECTRE" as well. It will quite easily become the 5th (!!) film of 2015 grossing more than $1.0 Billion. The first ones being "Furious 7" and "Avengers 2", then most likely followed by nr 3, "Jurassic World" and nr 4 "Minions". Nr 5 will be Nr "007" :-). "Hunger Games" could be the 6th 1.0 Billion Dollar movie of 2015, but barely. "Star Wars" off course will be the 6th or 7th 1.0 Billion Dollar movie.
    I hear you on 2012, but I think this year is quite different.

If I'm not mistaken, FF7, Avengers 2 & now Jurassic World all had/will have their runs with limited competition for at least 4 wks.

SP is going to have to contend with Hunger Games and then SW, going into the important holiday season when Bond normally does very well on holdover. I think it will depend on who gets the IMAX theatres and the other more expensive mega theatres (eg. Ultra AVX etc.) and for how long. SF really benefited from sitting in the IMAX theatres for quite some time in 2012.

Don't get me wrong, I think SP will be huge, but there's no doubt in my mind that its eventual take could be much higher if the calendar was not this crowded this year.

PS: Agree on Minions - saw the trailer and I think that it will do very well (unfortunately, imho).
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 11,119
    bondjames wrote: »
    I hear you on 2012, but I think this year is quite different.

If I'm not mistaken, FF7, Avengers 2 & now Jurassic World all had/will have their runs with limited competition for at least 4 wks.

SP is going to have to contend with Hunger Games and then SW, going into the important holiday season when Bond normally does very well on holdover. I think it will depend on who gets the IMAX theatres and the other more expensive mega theatres (eg. Ultra AVX etc.) and for how long. SF really benefited from sitting in the IMAX theatres for quite some time in 2012.

Don't get me wrong, I think SP will be huge, but there's no doubt in my mind that its eventual take could be much higher if the calendar was not this crowded this year.

PS: Agree on Minions - saw the trailer and I think that it will do very well (unfortunately, imho).

Audiences of "Hunger Games" and "James Bond" are very different. Very comparable to audiences for "Twilight" and "Skyfall". Expect "SPECTRE" to easily do better than "Hunger Games". Moreover, young adult movies tend to have less stronger holdover, as compared to James Bond films.

Moreover, the marketing campaign for "SPECTRE" has already been way stronger than "The Hunger Games".
    You may be right, but there's no doubt that repeat viewings (a big part of the eventual box office take) will be impacted by a crowded calendar as there will be other options. In 2012, I was only waiting for the Hobbit around the time of SF.

For example, I normally see a new Bond film 2-3 times in the theatre within a few wks of release (and normally in the best theatres where I spend the most money). I may only watch SP once (sacrilege I know....but there's so much out there this yr).
    One thing I will say guys. There is an older demographic who go to the cinema maybe once a year. They come out to see new Bond films and hike up the numbers. That demographic don't go see Avengers, Hunger Games etc. Bond has appeal for all ages unlike the aforementioned. Star Wars will beat Spectre but Spectre in sure will sit in a nice comfortable second highest 2015 release in cinema.
    That's true about the Bond fans, @SirHilaryBray. Generational advantages for Bond (since it spans so many generations of fans) but SW also has that advantage in spades. Hunger Games does not.

In a way, Bond's eventual gross will be all that more impressive since it doesn't rely on the inflated 3d ticket prices. I'm pretty sure if they backed out the 3d premium, SF might have actually outgrossed Avengers (in terms of total ticket sales) in 2012. FF7 is similarly impressive this year (although I didn't really like that film).

Given trends this year, it's the action that will really take SP's gross to the next level (people seem to be paying for action films this year - particularly in the far east).
    One thing I will say guys. There is an older demographic who go to the cinema maybe once a year. They come out to see new Bond films and hike up the numbers. That demographic don't go see Avengers, Hunger Games etc. Bond has appeal for all ages unlike the aforementioned. Star Wars will beat Spectre but Spectre in sure will sit in a nice comfortable second highest 2015 release in cinema.

Yeah, this is one of the main reasons they always open a Bond movie before Thanksgiving in the US, that's a traditional family-get-together-and-see-a-movie weekend. Same as Christmas/New Year, but obviously Star Wars will be the main attraction then.
    dinovelvet wrote: »

Yeah, this is one of the main reasons they always open a Bond movie before Thanksgiving in the US, that's a traditional family-get-together-and-see-a-movie weekend. Same as Christmas/New Year, but obviously Star Wars will be the main attraction then.

Star Wars is the event movie of this year. No doubt.

SF was that in Christmas 2012 (not Hobbit) imho.