Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote: »
    It would have made more Sense with Keaton vs Reeve to be honest.
    Yep.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    A premake with Wilson vs Alyn would be fun.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited April 2015 Posts: 28,694
    RC7 wrote: »
    This looks like the most intelligent super hero film since Watchmen.

Agreed. Seems like people watched the trailer, but didn't actually watch the trailer.

I watched the trailer. Thought it looked pretty bland tbh, it didn't look bad but didn't look particularly interesting to me. Maybe I've been spoiled by the great trailer we got for SPECTRE.

Affleck seems like he'll be great in the role but I'm not sold on his costume. I think the bat symbol is too big (I understand that this is taking inspiration from one of the comics though so fair enough, I might not like it but it seems like all the big fans do). And while the new costume will probably allow more mobility (and better fight scenes), I liked the armored look. The best costume I've seen was the Arkham Origins one.

gaming-batman-arkham-origins-screenshot-15.jpg

468px-Batman.jpg

I thought the game itself was a big disappointment, but I really like the Origins costume. I like the logo and I like how it's body armor but it doesn't look ugly (like the Nolan costumes). I'd prefer black over grey though, just makes more sense imo, since Batman is all stealthy.

Haven't seen much of Arkham Knight (I was disappointed in City and Origins, Asylum is still my fave, so I doubt I'll get Arkham Knight full price, probably get it second hand at some point down the line) but I hope for the costume they go with something along the same lines as the Origins costume (except with black or a darker grey) rather than the skintight rubber grey suits of Asylum and City.

I'm loving the suit. It's the perfect union between the new 52 current day style and the old Dark Knight Returns aesthetic. I can't wait to see Ben fighting in it. I'm quite happy that the films are now going away from the overdone armored suits and getting in touch with the comic books.

As for Arkham Knight, that's a first-day purchase kind of game for me. It's the only reason I'm going next-gen. Everything I've seen has looked beyond incredible. Here's the batsuit Bruce will be wearing in the game:

3678936-qzdndzi.jpg

chrisisall wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    It would have made more Sense with Keaton vs Reeve to be honest.
    Yep.

Or Conroy vs. Daly.

EDIT:

Snyder just shared this picture of the batsuit in full:

_1429594679.jpg

I edited the exposure a bit to increase the visibility:

17035021340_6a2ff7850a_o.jpg
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited April 2015 Posts: 28,694
    Apparently the new batsuit has a lot of kevlar in the arms and torso AND has steel knuckles:

092643c247023cb3430dd56b4070519b2f229a91.jpg

Awesome!
    @0Brady, you sure that´s the right link? I get the same picture as the one from the Sherlock thread.
    Don't know how that happened... It's fixed now. Thanks for letting me know, @boldfinger.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited April 2015 Posts: 1,257
    Well theyre showing the trailer tonight at my local IMAX theater. Its typically not something that i would attend but my class tonight was conveniently made optional so I took that as a sign. Heres to hoping they show some additional footage or give away free posters or something to make my attendance worthwhile.

I forgot to follow up on this. For such a brief event to see a trailer that I had already seen, I had a great time. Most of the fun came from shooting the s*** with the other schmucks in line and chatting about upcoming films.

The only new footage that was shown was an additional few seconds of Superman and Batman charging at each other that was shot in IMAX. Visually, the trailer itself did not look as good as I had hoped. This is probably what happens when you stretch a standard definition trailer across an IMAX screen. The IMAX footage, however, looked very crisp and sharp though.

and of course I got a free pass to see the film in IMAX a week early... and two posters:

Batman-v-Superman-poster-3-1940x1383.jpg
    Here's a better look at the Wonder Woman, Superman, & Batman costumes

Something I realized just this week Ben Affleck was rumored to replace George Clooney in Batman 5 and then was rumored briefly for Batman year one in much the same way Christain Bale was rumored for Batman vs superman (the 2004 and the 2016 versions) mind you it's neither here nor there just kind of funny
    tumblr_nn6ur6e3cz1qifv4go1_1280.jpg

HOLY is that one of the best fanmade posters I've seen!
    I like those three suits a lot, but wonder how it comes about that Batman and Superman seem to have the same tailor ;-).
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I like those three suits a lot, but wonder how it comes about that Batman and Superman seem to have the same tailor ;-).

Considering that Superman's suit is Krypotian in origin, no tailor has been or will ever be needed. ;)
    boldfinger wrote: »

Considering that Superman's suit is Krypotian in origin, no tailor has been or will ever be needed. ;)
    What, suits grow on trees there :-))?
    So, this shows that Superman worked together with Wayne industries, so that Bruce´s gadget guy could take a closer look at that fabric and recreate it. So what made them become so antagonistic then? Did both experience a crush on that Wonder Woman ;-)?

• edited April 2015 Posts: 12,837
    @Brady The Arkham Knight Batsuit looks pretty cool. The game does look very impressive, I've just been disappointed in City and then Origins for different reasons (I didn't like City's story, and I thought Origins felt too much like a copy/paste of City gameplay wise, I didn't even finish it) so I think I'm gonna hold off getting this one day one.

My favorite is Asylum. Aside from the misjudged Joker boss fight at the end I thought it was a really fantastic game, pretty much perfect. Rather than doing the easy thing and copying the Nolan trilogy's realistic approach they went in their own direction, making it much more comic book style but also making it darker than any of the films. The Asylum was a great setting that really helped the dark twisted atmosphere. You had deranged inmates that suddenly jump out of nowhere screaming and attack you, inmates taunting you from their cells as you go down the corridors, etc. I really liked that and while City made some gameplay improvements, I think it was a case of bigger not necessarily being better. The atmosphere from Asylum was gone and the story felt a little disjointed to me, they seemed to cram in too many characters for the sake of it which led to most of them being very underutilized imo. Not a terrible game, just not as good as the first one.

Origins to me despite a good, interesting story just felt like a cash grab, an Arkham City clone pushed out to keep the money rolling in while Arkham Knight was developed. And Gotham felt really lifeless and dull (City and now Knight had an excuse for there being no civilians but in Origins it just felt lazy, it's snowing a lot so there's not a single person in all of Gotham walking the streets or driving around, aside from the odd cop, criminal and homeless guy? Really?) and half the map was just the same as Arkham City.

So while Knight does look cool, the series has sort of alienated me a bit, sadly. Thanks for the photos of the new batsuit btw, I am warming to it a bit now. The steel knuckles are a very cool idea.
    I completely get that, @thelivingroyale. I agree that City's story can be a big mess. By the end at Wonder Tower, I was even confused about who was doing what and why. I also hate that
    Batman is actually considering going to save Talia first before stopping Strange's men who are destroying the area and killing innocents. Really, Batman? He didn't even resemble the character he'd been all game in that moment, and it just made my eyes role. Horrid writing.

I've seen some gameplay for Arkham Knight that seemed to have a lot more people on the streets; civilians, not enemies. We may even see people driving around trying to escape. I don't believe it's going to be completely barren like it's been before, regardless of Scarecrow triggering an evacuation. I'll have to look into that.
    The Arkham Knight suit is definitely cool, but it's getting a little close to Iron Man territory for my liking. A bit too mechanically busy.
    Fortunately it's become a staple in the Arkham games to have alternate costumes- they'd be smart to include a BvS skin!
    The Arkham Knight suit is definitely cool, but it's getting a little close to Iron Man territory for my liking. A bit too mechanically busy.
    Fortunately it's become a staple in the Arkham games to have alternate costumes- they'd be smart to include a BvS skin!

And a Keaton Batman or Nolan Batman. Apparently at the beginning of Arkham Knight Batman will be in the usual suit seen in Asylum and City, but the new threat posed by the villains forces him to gear up and upgrade.
    Semi OT:

I loved Man of Steel, but after watching this video, I have to admit I'd much rather watch their version!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=187&v=Du-eYiD9OfM
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Dammit, I want that colorized version. It looks so much better.
    Talking about it has made me watch a couple of Arkham Knight videos and it does look very good. I just don't think I want to chance buying it full price after the last two. I'll definitely play it at some point though, probably when it's cheaper.

To balance out my negative comments on the series I will say something I think that will be good in Arkham Knight: The Joker won't be in it. Don't get me wrong he's a great villain but something that's happened constantly in these games is that they've given us teases of really cool, interesting villains but then given them about five minutes screentime. In all three games, The Joker is the main bad guy, even when he isn't advertised as such (City's advertising made out Hugo Strange was the big bad, and Origins advertised that mob boss with the skull mask). Now he's out of the picture we have Scarecrow and a cool new villain taking over as the main bad guys, something I'm pleased with.

I want there to be an Adam West costume. I think that playing through all the really dark, serious dramatic moments the game will have as the Adam West Batman would be really fun.
    I agree 100% on the Joker thing, @thelivingroyale. I love him to death, one of my favorite villains easily, but I too have had way too much of him at this point. He's the go to baddie in everything Batman when there are so many other great villains that could shine. Scarecrow in Arkham Knight looks chillingly glorious and I can't wait to see what him and the mysterious Arkham Knight have planned for Batman and Gotham.

And @thelivingroyale, there was a dlc Adam West Batman skin in Origins. I'd love to see some of the old ones return in Arkham Knight, especially the Dark Knight Returns skin from City. Above and beyond my absolute favorite.
    edited April 2015 Posts: 1,257
    First look at our new Joker:

Image:
    zqKYfEg.jpg

http://comicbook.com/2015/04/25/official-look-jared-leto-as-the-joker-for-suicide-squad/

My thoughts:
    Well, he certainly appears "damaged", both physically and mentally. It may take some getting used to but I'm rolling with it.

The facial tattoos may be a bit much. I wouldn't mind seeing these gone. And the teeth could be kind of distracting (I'd like to believe Batman knocked his real teeth out :D ). I don't mind the body tattoos, most will be covered with clothing anyway. Anyway, I trust Leto to give us a great performance. He is one of the few hope inspiring casting choices so far in the DCCU.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I don't like it. That's not even because of the fact that I'm in love with Ledger's perfect portrayal, either. I judged it objectively, and I still hate it.
    Yeah, I'm not a big fan either. If someone showed me this picture and asked me who it was, I don't think I'd be able to distinctly identify him as the Joker beyond the glove and hair. It just doesn't feel right.
    I think it looks good but as a die hard batman fan I am just so sick of the Joker I really am.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 1,310
    Jared Leto is a good actor, and I could understand his casting. I still have faith that his performance will be good.

But this design...man. A tattoo that says 'Damaged' on his forehead? Really? He looks like the punks from RoboCop 3.
    I think that James Bond vs Batman would be a better fight if it came down to it. Batman is just a lame version of James Bond but his gadgets are more over the top. Superman vs Batman though? Batman better be packing a gun with kryptonite bullets. Will they actually fight though ? They will probably wind up teaming up together to achieve a common goal of defeating some evil force they have baked up.
    I sorta get what they were going for with the new Joker (Nicholson was a mobster, Ledger was an anarchist, this one seems like a psychopath) but it doesn't really work.

The tattoos would be a cool idea if they were executed well, which they aren't. If he had scarred, hand scrawled tattoos saying "hahahahaha" (and maybe a Batman tatoo? It'd make sense given how obsessed he is) that he'd done himself in a prison cell or something while laughing like a maniac, sure, that fits The Joker. But they look too clean professional. Like he's gone into a tattoo parlour and asked for all this to be done. Can you really imagine The Joker going into town and getting himself a "damaged" tattoo on his forehead? No, me neither. The other tattoos also look to professional and well done.

And the damaged tat on his head is just stupid. It makes him look like a monumental bellend, that tatoo is what really kills it for me.

Well he certainly looks crazy. It'll take some getting used to but I'm very happy they didn't try to copy Ledger's look.
    Coldfinger wrote: »
    I think that James Bond vs Batman would be a better fight if it came down to it. Batman is just a lame version of James Bond but his gadgets are more over the top. Superman vs Batman though? Batman better be packing a gun with kryptonite bullets. Will they actually fight though ? They will probably wind up teaming up together to achieve a common goal of defeating some evil force they have baked up.

You do realize that Batman pre-dates the cinematic Bond by a good two decades, right?

As for the Batman v. Superman debate, you just wait and see how Bruce floors the Man of Steel next year. They don't call him the master tactician for nothing.